Film The Master (2012)

how many stars?

• [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/1star.gif[/img]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/2stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1226784019234.gif

Complex, Ambiguous, and I hate to say it imho not his best work. Glad I saw it, two old ladies leaving loudly declared it was "the WORST movie they've ever seen!". Don't agree, good performances, lovely visuals. Since this is Bluelight we should all be discussing the choices in solvent abuse yes? Anybody know the common torpedo fuels of WWII, I thought they were mostly electric and compressed air... Drinking darkroom chems (mother of god!), artistic license?

Last edited:
beautiful and great performances, but the plot was somewhat lacking. 3.5/5

I finally got around to seeing this yesterday. I'm way too conflicted to give a solid opinion. Part of me thinks the film is a masterpiece and everything that it should have been, yet another part of me says that it lacks in several fundamental areas, leaving a fractiousness series of snap shots from what could have been the best film ever. Two things are certain though, as others have said, the film is beautifully shot, and the performances are amazing.

The thing is, I felt the same way about There Will Be Blood. It was a beautiful movie with incredible acting, but it had this similar feeling of being a bit fractured and limp on the narrative. It's this that makes me wonder if that is what PTA is trying to achieve. Are these films exactly how they are supposed to be? Is he working toward a different kind of cinema that dispenses with narrative and character depth over striking visual masterpieces with intense performances?

I don't know. I think I need to let this one settle for a bit and see it a couple more times before I could give any better opinion.

unrated/5