Social The Live Show Review Thread

I don't know about that man. 0/10 really? Lol. Considering I was standing right next to him on stage I would argue that he doesn't just "press play". Sounds like you were not in a great environment to see a show either. I was in Milwaukee and the crowd was great. Probably because they don't get much talent through their city and were really stoked to see a good dj. And for being emotionless? He was arguing w the security to let him play longer when they shut it down at 2 am. I went into the show not even liking datsiks music and left w a lot of respect for the guy. I don't know what was wrong w ur show but I get the feeling you harbor some anger towards the guy. I have seen bad shows that I would give a 3/10 maybe but a 0? Lol ur crazy

I don't know about that man. 0/10 really? Lol. Considering I was standing right next to him on stage I would argue that he doesn't just "press play". Sounds like you were not in a great environment to see a show either. I was in Milwaukee and the crowd was great. Probably because they don't get much talent through their city and were really stoked to see a good dj. And for being emotionless? He was arguing w the security to let him play longer when they shut it down at 2 am. I went into the show not even liking datsiks music and left w a lot of respect for the guy. I don't know what was wrong w ur show but I get the feeling you harbor some anger towards the guy. I have seen bad shows that I would give a 3/10 maybe but a 0? Lol ur crazy

The baltimore crowd is pretty awful... hmm

Umek Review

he played some aggressive 4to the floor techno, he was really on point. I usually go out to Dnb shows but the bass from this was warming to my soul. he was masterful at reading the crowd, all the mixes were on point, and i danced for the duration of his set. (no chems this night).

Does that help?

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol yea I mean it is the live show review thread.

Doctor P- First time seeing both of these guys so I was really excited. Doctor P played most of his well known songs, got the crowd pretty into it, and had some outstanding drops. He did a Tetris remix that was awesome. This was both of their first tour in the states and it was a great time.
9/10

Flux Pavilion
Flux is definitely not a very good DJ as he is a producer. He makes up for it with his intense drops. I had an amazing time at this show and would love to see him again. Though he failed to get the crowd into it like somebody such as Rusko, his music is just so much better and totally made up for it.
9/10

haha^^ sorry bro I was being lazy.

I recently saw Derick Carter and mark farina. I had never seen DC. although the sound system was great, the crowd sucked and i wasnt feeling his track selection. I have utmost respect for his contributions to techno, but i just didn't have fun during his set.

Mark Farina on the other hand was off the hook. he didn't play his normal mushroom jazz stuff, this was the 5th or 6th tiime i've seen him and he killed it. he was DC's opening act, but he had me dancing for the entire set.

I can't trainspot for either artist, but both of them had great mixing skills (duh) and overall it was fun. I'm not huge into the crowd the venue drew, but i went with my friends so we stayed together as a crew=)

Lotus - 9.5/10

They are great. But I feel like it's cheesy to give 10/10 haha. They are a great merger between electro and a live band. They synched up their light show perfectly with how the song was. Really spectacular.

I always wanna give artists 10/10 and don't for that same reason. I'll be seeing Lotus in September :). I'm seeing Sander Van Doorn next week, along with the crystal method in a few, and possibly Tipper... haven't decided yet.

Frankie Knuckles daytime set @ Pritzker Pavilion on 7-1-2011

He killed it exactly as expected; started the set with some deeper vocal tracks moving into funkier disco-inspired vocal house and, eventually, finished things off in full disco mode. His mixing was superb and the way he teased us by building transitions between tracks was almost tantric. I'm hard pressed to think of a better way to spend a Friday afternoon than dancing with my brothers and sisters in house to Frankie Knuckles outside on a beautiful soundsystem.

Even better, was how it attracted crowds of all ages. Some summer youth programs stopped through to eat lunch and I had a good laugh seeing the kids and their camp counselors united under one groove. Even passersby stopped to check it out. You know its a party when ages 3 - 70 are getting down together. I just wished he played longer.
8/10

fatboy slim was really fun. he didn;t do his older bigbeat stuff but he did spin a buncha classics and some mashups. I danced for a while. James Zabelia opened for him and that was dope, the guy was spinning on an IPAD and every genre

I'll update tomorrow. I have Sander Van Doorn and a few others to do. Gabriel and Dresden this wknd.

Going to see Richie Hawtin, 16 Bit, Tiesto and a bunch of other ppl tomorrow. Will do a photo report on Sunday. :)

Just got back from Electric Forest festival in Rothbury, MI. Honestly it was one of the best festivals I've ever been to including the previous Rothbury festivals. Let's see...

Excision: 10/10

Freakin' insane show on the opening night of the festival. It was pouring rain and hail and lightning like crazy and he had to go on later than he was supposed to. The lightning was some of the most insane shit I've ever seen right before he came on. We all thought that the festival had set it up some how or something, thats how crazy good it was. Anyways, like always, Excision destroyed it hardcore. Everybody was raging face and kept getting nailed drop after drop with the insane dubstep tracks. Amazing show for sure, I had seen him twice before but he really pulled out on the stops with this one.

Kaskade: 8/10

I'm not much of a househead but Kaskade had me bouncing around like crazy all night. Extremely energetic performance that had everyone craving more. Great way to end the first night of the festival.

The New Deal: 9/10

Wow, this one was a major surprise. I had never heard of them before and they played right before the 1st set of SCI. They killed it! Everyone was grooving extremely hard to this band which performed out of this world style electronic music. When I got home this was the first band I checked out on the web.

Tiesto: 7/10

This wasn't much of a surprise. A good show for sure but nowhere near some of the other DJs and bands performing. Still was an amazing set and good time. Nothing to write home about though.

Feed Me: 9.5/10

Holy Shit! This guy threw down! Some of the craziest DnB/Dubstep I've ever heard and he tore it up. This was my first time seeing him and I was thoroughly impressed. Can't wait to see what the future holds for this DJ.

Bassnectar: 11/10

Words can't even describe. We were up front, about 5 feet from the massive bass bins. SCI had just killed it and everybodys mind was blown wide open from the previous set. The energy before and during this show was like some I've never felt before and it even had Lorin commenting on it. It was one of the best electronic shows I've seen in my entire life. There were moments where we were all just staring, mouths wide open at the frenzy of sounds nailing our bodies. I danced at peak levels this night, there was no stopping us. Thinking back on it, I get chills running through my body.

Shpongle: 8.5/10

It was an amazing shpongle set but I was a little dissapointed at the fact that he was playing like a bunch of songs from the same album together and not really mixing it up. But it was def a chill show, I was extremely warn out from Bassnectar though so I didn't really dance as much as I'd have liked to. Lots of deemster smoke in the air. Normal shpongle stuff, but nothing extremely special.

Beats Antique: 10/10

I've unfortunatly never had the chance to see them before but I'm extremely glad that they were at the forest. This show was the best all day on the last day of the festival. They jammed extremely hard and played almost a eastern culture type dub that was out of this world incredible. I danced through the entire set, never stopped once.

Pretty Lights: 11/10

Wow. I've seen him multiple times throughout 2009 and 2010 but this was something else entirely. Another one of those life changing shows that cannot be described and limited by language.

And that was just the major highlights, everyone else we caught was playing on their A game no doubt. Honorable mentions: Lynx, Lotus, Galactic, Break Science, Eskmo, Two Fresh. And I know Big Gigantic killed it but they had Big G playing at the same time as Lorin so I couldn't make it.

Overall Festival Rating: 11/10

Like I said, this one was one of the best festivals I've ever been to, and I've seen quite a few. The crowd was the best festival crowd I'd ever seen, hands down, period. Only 13,000 strong but it was the best of the best.

Last edited:
I tent to the Global Gathering festival, last night. It was a pretty sick festival and it felt good to do some MDMA after a 2 month break. :) I got pretty mushed up, so I didn't get a chance to properly check out all the artists.

Dirty South @ Main Stage

I've never actually listened to Dirty South before this event. I am not normally that into electro-house and such, but this guy really impressed me. All his tracks had a lot of energy to them and he was playing the crowd so well. He tracks would just keep building up and up and then the drop would hit and everyone would go wild. He's "Let it Go" track also really hit the spot as it started playing the moment the MDMA kicked in. And "Let it Go" is exactly how I felt at that point in my life. :)

8/10

Paul Thomas @ Electro Stage (Don't ask why it was called the electro stage)

After Dirty South had finished playing, we decided to relocate to one of the smaller stages and so we went to see Paul Thomas. He mostly played a mix of Tech-House and electro-house. While Paul Thomas's music was generally more minimal and with less vocals, it still maintained a high euphoria atmosphere that was conducive to dancing. I would recommend checking out Paul Thomas if you want to listen to some solid tech-house.

7/10

Adam Beyer @ Electro Stage

He started playing at around 1 am or so. His brand of minimal techno fit in perfectly with the atmosphere of the night. Even though he was playing minimal, it was layered and multi-dimensional. While his tracks weren't as immediately euphoric as Dirty South/Paul Thomas, the repetitive yet multi-layered tracks just caught up to you. There is something cool about subtlety in creative works. :)

Video

9/10

Richie Hawtin @ Electro Stage

Everyone in our crew was waiting for Richie Hawtin. He was supposed to be the headliner for our crew. He started out kinda bland and it didn't really look like he was really into it. I was waiting for some sort of mind bending minimal that would send me to outer space, but it all sounded a little boring and lacking a special something. I was quite disappointing as all my friends told me that his set would be awesome etc. To be fair, it's also possible that I didn't enjoy his set as much because I was coming down from the MDMA at this point. Not that I was depressed or anti-social, I just could feel that I wasn't on the same level as I was a few hours ago and I was getting kinda tired.

Video

5.5/10

After about 30 minutes of his set I decided to quickly check out some of the other stages. I caught about 20 minutes of 16 Bit, but they played mostly regular dubstep. I wanted them to play more of their alternative stuff like Shallow, Twice, Toxic. I also caught Tiesto playing his last two tracks. He seemed to have played a solid, well produced show. Nothing mind blowing, but decent.

Markus Schulz @ Main Stage

Markus Schulz played a 2 hour set from 4 to 6 am. I am not normally into Markus Schulz's music, but his set was surprisingly good. It was nice and energetic and everyone who was still at the festival by this point was totally into his music. Again, there was nothing mind blowing about his music, but it was good show that was fitting as the last act on the main stage.

Video

7/10

I've update the master list and I've included Event/venue names and dates for all older reviews as well. Let's keep this thread the best on BL! :)

Break Science-
This group is off of the Pretty Lights Music label and actually features Adam Deitch (one of my favorite drummers) of Pretty Lights. He is on tour with Break Science so that is why Derek is doing solo sets. I really prefer having Adam there and this set was awesome. It was pretty much PL without the extravagant light set up which I don't care about anyways. This was also a middle of the day set. Deitch brings it hard every time and the DJ was really good too. He had a slightly larger set up than Derek of PL has going with three different pieces of equipment. He was actually playing, not just pressing play.
8/10

Thibault-
This was a really good set. Perfect mix of electro house with a little bit of funky dubstep mixed in. I saw him once at the festival during the day and then at the Double door at night and the Double Door set was great. He didn't quite have the power as Zedd (who he opened for) but it was definitely a great set.
7/10

MiM0SA-
This was the set I was most excited for the whole weekend, as he was the headliner. If you have seen my praises towards Tigran in my other post you will know I love the guy. Having said that, this was one of the most boring sets I have seen. I honestly wish he would have just played hard skrillex-like dubstep instead, and I hate skrillex. It was just a really boring set. He was playing Drake remixes, to give an example. It was a very low energy set which had me really surprised since when I saw him last time in April he was SO into it. I enjoyed the light set up he had last time MUCH more even though this one probably cost more money. It looked like LED squares on top of each other in a pyramid shape. Before he just had standard lights that covered much more area and were brighter My friends out in Cali saw mimosa at LIB and said he was boring and I didn't believe them until this past saturday. Really a let down.
5/10

Zedd
This set was AWESOME. Mad energy for a little guy. The only reason I am not giving him a 10/10 is because he didn't come out for an encore and it wasn't even three yet. He also didn't even play for an hour and a half. I still am saying how much I loved it so that goes to show you how good it was. Keep in mind I do not take chemicals at the shows I go to. Zedd had the perfect mix of electro house, classics, with corny top 40 songs thrown in which I can't believe I'm saying. He would go from that song that goes "I like to move it move it", to a bloody beetroots remix, into Around the World -Daft Punk. It was just an awesome set to watch. I was hearing songs from the radio mixed in with classic tunes and it didn't even bother me... I actually really liked the fact that someone could play songs like that and not sound as lame and "poppy" as MiM0SA was.
9.5/10

Sander Van Doorn
This was apart of his Dusk Til Doorn club tour. It was a great show for sure. I am not really a trance fan, but this set had my attention definitely. He played most of his classic songs that I knew, mixed with other trance artists tunes. This was the first time I saw an LED wall at Vision in Chicago so that definitely added to the whole set up and the show altogether. I would definitely see him again.
8/10

Break Science-
This group is off of the Pretty Lights Music label and actually features Adam Deitch (one of my favorite drummers) of Pretty Lights. He is on tour with Break Science so that is why Derek is doing solo sets. I really prefer having Adam there and this set was awesome. It was pretty much PL without the extravagant light set up which I don't care about anyways. This was also a middle of the day set. Deitch brings it hard every time and the DJ was really good too. He had a slightly larger set up than Derek of PL has going with three different pieces of equipment. He was actually playing, not just pressing play.
8/10

Thibault-
This was a really good set. Perfect mix of electro house with a little bit of funky dubstep mixed in. I saw him once at the festival during the day and then at the Double door at night and the Double Door set was great. He didn't quite have the power as Zedd (who he opened for) but it was definitely a great set.
7/10

MiM0SA-
This was the set I was most excited for the whole weekend, as he was the headliner. If you have seen my praises towards Tigran in my other post you will know I love the guy. Having said that, this was one of the most boring sets I have seen. I honestly wish he would have just played hard skrillex-like dubstep instead, and I hate skrillex. It was just a really boring set. He was playing Drake remixes, to give an example. It was a very low energy set which had me really surprised since when I saw him last time in April he was SO into it. I enjoyed the light set up he had last time MUCH more even though this one probably cost more money. It looked like LED squares on top of each other in a pyramid shape. Before he just had standard lights that covered much more area and were brighter My friends out in Cali saw mimosa at LIB and said he was boring and I didn't believe them until this past saturday. Really a let down.
5/10

Zedd
This set was AWESOME. Mad energy for a little guy. The only reason I am not giving him a 10/10 is because he didn't come out for an encore and it wasn't even three yet. He also didn't even play for an hour and a half. I still am saying how much I loved it so that goes to show you how good it was. Keep in mind I do not take chemicals at the shows I go to. Zedd had the perfect mix of electro house, classics, with corny top 40 songs thrown in which I can't believe I'm saying. He would go from that song that goes "I like to move it move it", to a bloody beetroots remix, into Around the World -Daft Punk. It was just an awesome set to watch. I was hearing songs from the radio mixed in with classic tunes and it didn't even bother me... I actually really liked the fact that someone could play songs like that and not sound as lame and "poppy" as MiM0SA was.
9.5/10

Sander Van Doorn
This was apart of his Dusk Til Doorn club tour. It was a great show for sure. I am not really a trance fan, but this set had my attention definitely. He played most of his classic songs that I knew, mixed with other trance artists tunes. This was the first time I saw an LED wall at Vision in Chicago so that definitely added to the whole set up and the show altogether. I would definitely see him again.
8/10

How did you like Lynx and Polish Ambassador?

Polish ambassador was great. Was Lynx before him? Because I got there when Polish Ambassador was on stage. Were you there?

Thanks for the detailed reviews chitown rollin! :) I will update the master list once I get back home from work. :)