Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

The Ice Age - Four Corners Mon 20th

Thanks for posting, time will be 8.30pm AEDT

Should be interesting.

Cheers for the heads up, alarm set :)

Quoted from link provided:

"THE ICE AGE" – FOUR CORNERS MONDAY 20 MARCH

Next on Four Corners: a shocking close-up study of the new drug of choice - "ice" - and its trail of human wreckage.

It’s cheap, highly addictive and ultra-powerful. "Ice", or crystal methamphetamine, is now more popular than heroin, playing havoc with the minds and the bodies of nearly 50,000 Australians.

Ice is filling emergency wards with psychotic, dangerous patients, to the alarm of doctors who thought they’d seen everything. "They’re the most out of control, violent human beings I have ever seen in my life - and I’ve been around for a long time," says one. "It makes heroin seem like the really good old days."

Four Corners goes to the heart of this destructive new epidemic. Reporter Matthew Carney takes his camera into a netherworld inhabited by hardcore ice addicts – or skaters as they call themselves – who live for their next hit.

This tribe of junkies roams the inner city, scoring and shooting up. They stay manically high for up to a week, without food or sleep. Finally, they crash and eat, before the welfare cheque arrives and the cycle starts all over again.

"We’re the fringe-dwellers," says "Mick", whose veins are so wrecked he can barely find a place to inject. His mate "Mattie" can’t imagine life without ice: "It just seems to find me, it’s like everywhere I go, it’s there… who knows what’s gonna happen in 10 years’ time mate?"

"Lenore" boasts 23 personalities, each with its own name. She obsessively sorts through rubbish for days on end when she’s on ice. It’s her way of making order out of her chaos. Asked what would stop her from using ice, she replies: "Death."

Another friend, "John", is covered in scabs. He picks constantly at his skin to rid himself of "ice bugs" that he imagines to be living inside him, the result of a bad batch of ice. His delusion is common among ice addicts.

Ice isn’t only a cheap drug for hardcore addicts. It’s also big on the party circuit and is used across the social spectrum. "Jason" used to be a computer engineer earning good money. Now, he’s trapped between the ice he needs to get himself going, and the heroin he uses to settle himself down.

Remarkably, authorities appear to be ill-prepared to stop the ice wave that is sweeping the country. Australia has no dedicated treatment programs. Jails are the main rehab facilities. There are no legal substitute drugs. Research funds are scarce.

To prepare this report Matthew Carney followed groups of ice users over the summer. His extraordinary degree of access - revealing the participants’ candour and confronting behaviour – will challenge and unsettle viewers.

"The Ice Age" – on Four Corners, 8.30pm (AEDT), Monday 20 March, ABC TV.

This program will be repeated about 11pm Wednesday 22 March; also on ABC2 digital channel at 7pm and 9.30pm Wednesday.

TV: 4 Corners - "The Ice Age" 8.30pm ABC Monday 20/03/06

For those of you who are interested, feel free to discuss post air.

http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/content/2006/s1593168.htm

Reporter: Matthew Carney

Broadcast: 20/03/2006

It’s cheap, highly addictive and ultra-powerful. "Ice", or crystal methamphetamine, is now more popular than heroin, playing havoc with the minds and the bodies of nearly 50,000 Australians.

Ice is filling emergency wards with psychotic, dangerous patients, to the alarm of doctors who thought they’d seen everything. "They’re the most out of control, violent human beings I have ever seen in my life - and I’ve been around for a long time," says one. "It makes heroin seem like the really good old days."

Four Corners goes to the heart of this destructive new epidemic. Reporter Matthew Carney takes his camera into a netherworld inhabited by hardcore ice addicts – or skaters as they call themselves – who live for their next hit.

This tribe of junkies roams the inner city, scoring and shooting up. They stay manically high for up to a week, without food or sleep. Finally, they crash and eat, before the welfare cheque arrives and the cycle starts all over again.

"We’re the fringe-dwellers," says "Mick", whose veins are so wrecked he can barely find a place to inject. His mate "Mattie" can’t imagine life without ice: "It just seems to find me, it’s like everywhere I go, it’s there… who knows what’s gonna happen in 10 years’ time mate?"

"Lenore" boasts 23 personalities, each with its own name. She obsessively sorts through rubbish for days on end when she’s on ice. It’s her way of making order out of her chaos. Asked what would stop her from using ice, she replies: "Death."

Another friend, "John", is covered in scabs. He picks constantly at his skin to rid himself of "ice bugs" that he imagines to be living inside him, the result of a bad batch of ice. His delusion is common among ice addicts.

Ice isn’t only a cheap drug for hardcore addicts. It’s also big on the party circuit and is used across the social spectrum. "Jason" used to be a computer engineer earning good money. Now, he’s trapped between the ice he needs to get himself going, and the heroin he uses to settle himself down.

Remarkably, authorities appear to be ill-prepared to stop the ice wave that is sweeping the country. Australia has no dedicated treatment programs. Jails are the main rehab facilities. There are no legal substitute drugs. Research funds are scarce.

To prepare this report Matthew Carney followed groups of ice users over the summer. His extraordinary degree of access - revealing the participants’ candour and confronting behaviour – will challenge and unsettle viewers.

"The Ice Age" – on Four Corners, 8.30 pm Monday 20 March, ABC TV

Watching it with my older housemate, at the start of it he asks "is this what you do?" wisely answered "no" knowing my housemate would probably never speak to me again had I answered truthfully :p

But otherwise didn't really learn too much from it, although it was kinda weird seeing the MSM portrary heroin as a good drug, well not quite good but good in comparison to meth.

haha i found it funny how they were goin on about that womans baby and smokin meth, yet she was smokin cigarettes all the way through and it was never mentioned. smoking meth + smoking cigarettes..... :S

Yeah, what a piece of shit mother, her baby is going to be fucked up from birth and possibly even have withdrawls.

Yeah I believe this was more a following of far-gone Iceheads than any worthwhile documentary, granted it gave the viewing public a view of what chronic ice use does to people, I think a bit more focus could have been given to it's rise in the recreational scene and maybe a bit more information on the drug itself.

respect to the junkies for admitting it is bad for them and not just goin on with it like its all good.

lmao at the guy who thought bugs were '3 layers under the skin'.

Yeah all you really saw was the absolute worse already far gone scum that use ice. Would of liked to see some more average users, people that you could relate too.

And these guys were all addicted to heroin aswell, theyd be in that exact situation regardless of ice imo. Except for the ex-IT guy, he still seemed rather sane and wanted to get clean.

Those Ice-Heads were a bit of a scream to watch.

As for the ex-IT guy, well, I sort of felt sorry for him. Like, I could see my mates, or even myself in his position in a few years down the road if things went a bit sideways and or got out of hand.

was pritty bad watching those guys. makes you not want anything to do with it i spose..
they mentioned that it releases dopamine is that seratonin ?? tried looking in the vault but couldnt find it.

Dopamine is a completely different chemical to seratonin.

There was some highly amusing discussion on the 4 corners website as well. It appears that most of the general public are out waving pitchforks and scythes.

MFCD00012898.GIF

Dopamine HCl

MFCD00012686.GIF

Serotonin HCl

For those of us with girlfriends who wanted to tape Desperate Housewives.

The show is repeated on Wednesday night at 11pm on ABC and also at 7pm and 9.30pm on ABC2 for digital subscribers.

=D

Oh, and just found this, from Sunday's paper.

'Ice' addiction growing
March 19, 2006

DOCTORS at Sydney's St Vincent's Hospital want to prescribe amphetamines to help patients addicted to crystal methamphetamine, also known as ice.

Doctors interviewed in ABC Television's Four Corners program tomorrow say they are dealing with a five-fold increase in patients with ice-induced psychosis, since 2000.

The hospital's Dr Alex Wodak said a trial of the ice replacement drug Dexamphetamine has taken place in Australia but the Federal Government has not provided funding for more trials.

"I would like to have an effective pharmacological agent to treat these people, and I'd like to be able to do what my counterparts can do in the United Kingdom and treat those people who unfortunately have not benefited from every conventional health approach," Dr Wodak said.

"I'd like to treat some of them by prescribing amphetamines to them and in 2006 in Australia, that's hard to do."

St Vincent's emergency department head Gordian Fulde said the psychiatric effects of ice were worse than heroin and the hospital had been forced to build a cell to contain violent patients.

"These are the most out of control, the most violent human beings I have seen in my life, and I've been around for a long time," Dr Fulde said.

The Four Corners program features interviews with drug addicts including a man known as "Jason" who attempted to kick his addiction to ice and heroin.

Jason was prescribed an opiate blocker called Buprenorphine to ease his cravings for heroin but no medication was available to treat his ice addiction.

During the filming of the program he was arrested and charged with possessing ice and jailed.

Jason's girlfriend, known as "Susie", said she was concerned she may have harmed her unborn child by smoking ice.

"I don't know, but I suppose every pregnant person they sort of ... think maybe something happened or whatever," she said.

Susie said she intended to put the baby up for adoption once he was born.

"I do love him and ... I would love to raise him myself (but I) don't think that I'm in a position really to do that," she said.

From The Australian / AAP

I am puzzled at the ice plague. Its a dirty uncomfortable drug, with a short lived high and pain low.

It's sad that it's replaced goold ole amphetamine/speed off the market. Now that was a drug I can understand and some ways prefer people to be addicted to