• Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film The Hobbit

rate this film:

• [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/1star.gif[/img]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/2stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Well my guess is you'll be disappointed.

I get what you mean about less action sequences. That's why Fellowship is my favourite of the trilogy, it's most Tolkien, while the others are mostly War movies.

But, I have to take you up on the gratuitous CGI. Can you give a few examples of where you thought it was uneccessary? I thought they did a great job in with use of models, sets and costume/makeup where it would otherwise have been mighty tempting to use CGI. Of course, there's plenty of CGI, but it was a necessary for such a fantastic story.

On top of that, most of my initial grievances with any differences from the book were eventually forgiven after well reasoned justification from the writers. I do emphasise "most". Can't win 'em all.

since that last article, it has been noted that the actors havn't officially signed on yet, but they remain keen to.

i agree the war element in the two sequels was massive, but i can't fathom how the stories could be told with less than what is there.

I'm glad they dropped Peter Jackson. I'm really hoping for a more artistic, adult movie for The Hobbit. I'm hoping for something way less blockbuster-ish than the LOTR movies.

^
They didn't. I'd have preferred to see The Hobbit with GDT at the helm, but that fell through, which means we're going to get a LOTR clone.

eff gdt, i don't like any of his ess.

pj4lyf

It's either going to be really good or just meh !

I got a chance to visit NZ and I went and saw the refurbish hobbit town !

48fps 3d is an idea which tickels me pink, despite the early reviews of it

i've heard bad things about 48fps. apparently you have too. i say fuck anything that looks more like life than film. but i haven't actually seen a sample.

they say it makes the sets look like sets, but then i had the same impression with HDTV/Blurays at first (particularly during a viewing of the last crusade). they also say the lack of flickering and blur is disconcerting.

but they also say that it fully integrates the cgi characters with the real. cgi has always stood out as slightly more clear than everything else up until now. so, i can't wait.

i think pj is making a point with this experiment, i doubt he would dull it down much, if any at all.

ok fine. my assertion (i can't wait) is admittedly false. i can and will wait. you were right.

behind the scenes look of the Hobbit trolls!!

trolls-e1342046264210-600x450.jpg

They're making the Hobbit into a trilogy. But that's not even what makes me the saddest. I'm pissed off that it seems like they're using the dark tone of Lord of The Rings trilogy. The Hobbit book was an adventure about self-discovery and freedom not unlike Kerouac, it was silly -- there were dark parts of the book but they were special, they stood out in contrast to the over-arching positive theme of adventure and freedom--, and it was told in a very different voice -- Tolkien spoke of Middle-Earth as if it was a time in our own planet's past, like it was lore lost in time (similar to Lovecraft but the opposite tone), like it was a place he had visited and explored.

Tolkien wrote The Lord of the Rings during World War II and while he detests allegory it without a doubt impacted the change in tone between the two stories. His friends died in the War and although the Hobbit contained a huge, decisive battle, the Lord of the Rings is undeniably more heavy in the themes of war, death (perhaps the most prevalent theme), suffering, desperation, weakness, holding onto hope, and overcoming evil (evil in the Hobbit was much more vague whereas Sauron and his minions were the very epitome of evil, in the book Sauron appears to literally be "evil incarnate" like the devil is to monotheistic religions -- the reason behind all evil and suffering, although not necessarily weakness). I don't know, maybe it's the Vyvanse talking, but I feel like the new director decided that the dark tone of the Lord of the Rings is what made it so great (and sold it) --which I actually agree with-- however the Hobbit isn't nearly so dark, it's more like a really epic fairy tale. When I read the two stories I don't read the same author, I read a happy, young man who wants to see the world in the Hobbit, a lighthearted adventure. In the Lord of the Rings, Tolkien seemed much more mature and moving onto deeper, darker themes in a war torn, increasingly savage world.

This is, obviously, all my opinion about the interpretation of the books and movies/screenshots of the Hobbit, but from what I've seen of the pictures from the new movie trilogy it doesn't seem to match the book that I read.

48fps 3d is an idea which tickels me pink, despite the early reviews of it

This is basically how I feel about it as well. I'm reserving final judgement until I actually see it in full....... STILL waiting.

A little annoyed about them cashing in on the damn thing and turning it into a trilogy. A two part series maybe I could have dealt with. I don't want to wait years until we see the end of it ffs.

Does this really need more than 1 part? It's like 300 pages. 8(