• Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film The Hobbit

rate this film:

• [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/1star.gif[/img]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/2stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
i was thinking just selectively represent certain portions of it as a sort of history lesson told from gandalf to someone else. that seems like a better idea than some made up bullshit sequel.

i am biased because i hated the LotR movies, but i have an even worse feeling about these.

One of the most anticipated literary adaptations of the past decade in the wake of the success of "The Lord of the Rings", New Line has to tread carefully to not upset its billion-dollar franchise or its fanbase.

The resolution of a lawsuit in December put the project back on track, but 'Rings' director Peter Jackson could not take on writing and directing roles due to other commitments - instead he'll serve as executive producer.

Tolkien's 1937 prequel to 'Rings' centered on Bilbo Baggins, a hobbit who joins a group of dwarves and the wizard Gandalf on a quest to find the treasure of a dragon named Smaug.

Del Toro however commands a lot of respect thanks to a large geek fanbase, a love of the source material, and most notably an acclaimed sense of fantasy filmmaking seen in such films as the Oscar-nominated "Pan's Labyrinth," "The Devil's Backbone," "Hellboy" and "Blade 2".

Because of the strike, no writer has been hired yet though that process will be fast-tracked once it's resolved. Del Toro and Jackson will oversee "Hobbit's" writing.

Both films will be shot simultaneously during 2009 for a total production budget of $300 million (the original 'Rings' trilogy cost an economically modest $270 million). The release of the first film is slated for 2010 and the second in 2011.
http://www.darkhorizons.com/news08/080128h.php

i can see del toro or maybe terry gilliam as film makers who could pull this off other than peter jackson... so i have some hope.

but that sequel?!

I think Del Toro could pull it off...but yeah, I don't understand the sequel at all.

is everybody sue happy or are new line just cunts?

The Tolkien Trust, the British charity that manages the estate of J.R.R. Tolkien, and publisher HarperCollins filed a $150 million lawsuit against New Line Cinema on Monday reports Variety.

The suit claims the trust has not received any of its gross profit participation payments for the three films based on the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy and seeks both punitive damages and a court declaration that they can terminate any further rights New Line may have to the Tolkien works under the agreements including the upcoming "The Hobbit" film.

According to the suit New Line has failed to pay the Tolkien Trust any portion of the gross profit participation (up to 7.5% of the gross) to which they are entitled under their deal, despite the $6 billion in revenue the trilogy has made the studio.

The estate's U.S. Counsel Bonnie Eskenazi says "New Line has brought new meaning to the phrase 'creative accounting.' I cannot imagine how on earth New Line will argue to a jury that these films could gross literally billions of dollars, and yet the creator's heirs, who are entitled to a share of gross receipts, don't get a penny."

This comes just two months after New Line and Peter Jackson settled their own notorious fight about profit participation in the "Rings" trilogy. New Line declined to comment on the new suit.

fuckin ell

Over the weekend, producer Peter Jackson and director Guillermo del Toro answered several questions during an online chat about their upcoming film versions of J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Hobbit" and the proposed sequel.

Key bits of information garnered from the chat, a full transcript of which can be found at WetaNZ, include:

- Scripting and early conceptual designs will be worked on for the rest of this year.

- Pre-production will take place throughout 2009 and shooting will happen back-to-back throughout 2010 with a short break between films. The first film will hit cinemas in December 2011.

- The second film doesn't have a title yet and won't until after scripting is complete. Rather than focusing on the years between the two tales, it will cover a specific incident that took place between them.

- Casting will not begin until next year, however all the original 'Rings' cast members that can be brought back will be.

- The films will be shot in 2.35:1 aspect ratio with a PG-13 rating. There are no plans for a 3D release yet.

- A lot of the original production team will be brought back, as will composer Howard Shore.

- Ian Holm will participate somehow, even though Bilbo will be recast to reflect the character's younger age.

- del Toro's frequent collaborator Ron Perlman will have a role.

- Location shooting throughout New Zealand will take place with Hobbiton to be rebuilt bigger than before. It's unlikely any locations outside NZ will be used.

- A Blu-ray release of the 'Rings' trilogy is in the works, but NOT this year.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news08/080526b.php

I guess they have to rape this great book too so they can make a few bucks out of it

you didn't absolutely adore the lotr films?

Finder said:
I can see making The Hobbit, which could be cool if well done, but what sequel? It's one book, one story; there is no sequel.
Exactly. It can't be done.

About the OT, I think Jackson should do it as well. I still will watch even so.

L2R said:
- The second film doesn't have a title yet and won't until after scripting is complete. Rather than focusing on the years between the two tales, it will cover a specific incident that took place between them.
Well i'm curious. Any Tolkien aficionados have any idea?

I'm rusty on the mythology, it's been a few years since i've read any of it, but my best guess would probably be it being centered around Aragorn. Which specific event, no real idea. Perhaps his time in Rohan and Gondor, serving the King and Steward under the name Thorongil. I just think Aragorn is the most likely character to focus on, given they can milk the Arwen love story some more.

A longer shot would be something to do with Saruman, but I can't think of a significant specific event to go with it.

But a prequel would be much more interesting and excite fans much, much more. Tolkien left a wealth of material behind, the sum of which is greater than what's in LOTR. Sure, there are gaps in the timeline, but picking certain stories from the First Age in particular would be a big hit. The Second Age would be cool to follow Sauron's rise to power. Anything before the First Age is more something that could only be done Anime style, so it probably just shouldn't be done, full stop.

I would lose it the day I could watch Feanor lead the Noldor people (which included Galadriel) to Middle-Earth to fight Melkor (Sauron's master) and his armies.

the hobbit seems, certainly to be a perfect story to dedicate only one movie to but i'm going to hold of criticising this until it's actually made.

with the important cast members returning to reprise roles and the look of the movies so well established, i can't really see it failing.

oddly, i read 'the lord of the rings' before i read 'the hobbit' so seeing the movies in this order seems weirdly natural to me.

alasdair

Count me in as another huge Silmarillion fan, though I think only a mini-series could do it justice.

good news imo

Empire Magazine spoke exclusively to both Guillermo del Toro and Peter Jackson for their upcoming birthday issue about "The Hobbit" and its sequel.

Up until now the plans were for a direct adaptation of Tolkien's novel first, while the second one would be a bridging film between 'Hobbit' and "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy.

The surprising news is that the pair have ditched their plans and decided to spread "The Hobbit" over two films.

"We decided it would be a mistake to try to cram everything into one movie. The essential brief was to do The Hobbit, and it allows us to make The Hobbit in a little more style, if you like, of the [LOTR] trilogy" added Jackson

Del Toro also adds that the White Council and the comings and goings of Gandalf to Dol Guldur will feature in the new film. "The Hobbit" films will be released in December 2011 and 2012.

The news comes a few days after it was revealed by The Digital Bits that the Blu-ray version of "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy is set to hit the shelves later this year.

The downside is that it's only the theatrical versions getting the BD treatment. The extended editions are being saved for an 'Ultimate Box Set' closer to the release of "The Hobbit" films.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/13871/-the-hobbit-spread-over-two-films/

Even if the book is split up into two parts it is a pretty damn thin book to begin with. Do we really need 4+ hours of dwarves and hobbits eating and exchanging pleasantries? Why insert Silmarillion bullshit into the film, the mythology of middle earth is pretty fucking boring.

Speak for yourself, this is great news.

Gandalf's dealings with the White Council and Dol Guldur are very much related to The Hobbit and LOTR, well into the Third Age. Personally, this adds a lot to my excitement. In regards to Saruman, Gandalf comes across as quite naive in the Fellowship movie. The White Council scenes will shed a different light on their relationship.

Guillermo del Toro has confirmed that Hugo Weaving will reunite with Andy Serkis and Ian McKellen in "The Hobbit" says The One Ring.

Talking with BBC Radio 5's Simon Mayo, the "Pan's Labyrinth" director says the trio will all return "...as the roles they originated in the trilogy."

Weaving played the Elf leader Elrond in all three films in "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy. The first of the two "Hobbit" films will open December 2011.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/14395/weaving-set-to-return-for-the-hobbit-

I agree with those who say that splitting the book seems like blatant profiteering, unlike the LOTR which really needed to be multiple movies. But hey, money talks...

What I'm really interested in seeing is how Guillermo del Toro's unique, typically dark style will mesh with the material; expect something very different from Jackson's version.

i don't like gil del toro. i like pete jackson. i like the source material. i have hope, but i also have reservations.

I realize how difficult it must be to capture the essence of middle earth and compete with the images that readers of Tolkein have etched in their minds. That said, I don't think Peter Jackson did a good job of appealing to long-time readers, and did more to appeal to your average movie goer.

I think in general, too many directors are afraid to make a cult classic, and instead try to make movies that are instant hits, but ultimately forgettable.

My only hope for The Hobbit, is that the director will have his finger on the pulse of readers, and try to live up to their expectations. That means less action scenes, less gratuitous CGI, and more subtle story arcs.