• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

The HIV Megathread

I have a friend who is HIV positive. This thread has been a great source of information.

Thank you.

I browsed at the information on Wikipedia and I think that RedRum is pertaining to this chart:

Average per act risk of getting HIV
by exposure route to an infected source Exposure route Chance of infection
Blood transfusion 90%
Childbirth (to child) 25%
Needle-sharing injection drug use 0.67%
Percutaneous needle stick 0.30%
Receptive anal intercourse* 0.04–3.0%
Insertive anal intercourse* 0.03%
Receptive penile-vaginal intercourse* 0.05–0.30%
Insertive penile-vaginal intercourse* 0.01–0.38%
Receptive oral intercourse*§ 0–0.04%
Insertive oral intercourse*§ 0–0.005%
assuming no condom use
§ source refers to oral intercourse
performed on a man

What's the source? That chart is very similar to this:

http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/policies/law/risk.html

Does anyone know the law regarding HIV and HIV medication in Dubai airport?

I will be having a layover / stopover when traveling to Europe. Should I carry my medication in vitamin bottles in my carry on bag or in my main bag?

I've heard some horror stories about the middle-east

That's not the source source. Wiki always has links to the actual sources at the bottom of the articles.

Okay first of all Redrum initially asked questions about the chart on Wikipedia so I posted the chart to help Redrum and Foreigner. The the link is already there so you can go to the references if you want to see the actual source. Just click on the link and go to the bottom of the wiki page to view your actual "source."

Last edited:
Wobblier I tried to send you a message but it wouldn't go through. I want to say thanks for the resources you provided. My sister was recently diagnosed with HIV and hep c. She has gotten help from the county to get meds. The emotional part is hard and I want to help if I can. Thank you so much.

I have a friend who is HIV positive. This thread has been a great source of information.

Thank you.

No problem, I'm learning along the way myself. It is nice to pull all the links and resources into one place and hear other peoples views and share information :)

Wobblier I tried to send you a message but it wouldn't go through. I want to say thanks for the resources you provided. My sister was recently diagnosed with HIV and hep c. She has gotten help from the county to get meds. The emotional part is hard and I want to help if I can. Thank you so much.

Your welcome,my pleasure, I'm still learning myself, so if you find any good info' or have any questions please post it on here (and/or ask a professional).

The emotional part and the stigma is probably the hardest part, I find.

I found the people I told took it harder than me, which was touching.

Remember it's not the end of the world, there is light at the end of the tunnel. Stay positive and strong for her :)

Good luck :)

Anyone else got any advice for T. Calderone?

Last edited:
Thank you for the news article wobblier, this another potential breakthrough for the treatment of hiv/aids. It is indeed a very clever mechanism to trick the virus unti it gets eliminated. I hope tor the successful clinical trials in humans for the future.

Does anyone know the law regarding HIV and HIV medication in Dubai airport?

I will be having a layover / stopover when traveling to Europe. Should I carry my medication in vitamin bottles in my carry on bag or in my main bag?

I've heard some horror stories about the middle-east

If you have a prescription then you should have no problem - probably safer to have your medication in its correct bottle with your name on it to be honest.

I travel the Middle East a lot and have been stopped for carrying tablets once and that was because I had a carrier bag full of tablets (various Vitamins, Asprins and things that I could buy cheaply out of the Middle East for friends etc[was packed in my suitcase]). The guy in customs asked me if I had anything in my suitcase that they should know about (I got picked out of the crowd going through the 'Nothing to declare' lane - I knew what they were getting at so I said I have a big bag of vitamins which I have brought for my friends. I opened my suitcase and took out the bag - he took a quick look and that was that.

I have had my carry on bag searched several times and nobody has ever looked at my medication / packets of tablets etc.

Great informative post by the way :)

Last edited:
^ Thanks for the info

If anyone is interested I would just like to add I am currently on: one tablet of 300mg Tenofovir + 200mg Emtricitabine and two tablets of 200mg Nevirapine daily.

A graph made from my periodical blood results:
http://www.turboimagehost.com/p/16840716/Graph_1.gif.html

Treatment started on: the 1st July 2013 -notice how all the good elements (CD4) increase on my graph (link above).

After getting HIV on the 16th August 2012 -notice the extremely high viral load to begin with which drops and eventually with meds will become undetectable on my graph (link above).

(In layman's terms on the graph you want everything to go up accept the Viral load (VL)

I have had no short term side effects from ARV meds

The basics on CD4 and viral load:http://www.aidsmap.com/v634665446220730000/file/1050016/CD4_and_viral_load_pdf.pdf

My new bloods are evern better

14 October 2013:
CD4 703 18%
VL 54

Up date as of feb 2014 my Viral Load is undetectable! :)

Last edited:
^Indeed

Especially over the holiday period, where people might drink (or whatever) too much and let their guard down. Be careful of risky situations, always carry condoms and PEP drugs if possible.

Merry xmas everyone!

Exactly safety always comes first. Always bring protection with u