• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

The HIV Megathread

^Wobblier, this is a good article iirc life expectancy comparing it in the 70's was 7-9 years so this is a big jump. I would like to ask, have you been into some type of clinical trial before? What were the results and what type of medication was it.

Hi,

I haven't been in any clinical trails regarding HIV. I have been traveling and working too much. I would love to be apart of one though (if it doesn't screw with my meds - one tablet 300mg Tenofovir 200mg Emtricitabine, two tablets 200mg Nevirapine) as it can really help people (plus the money is meant to be very good).

Has anyone on BL?
Have you heard of any good ones?

If this came available in human trails I would like to give it ago. Genetic modifications sound promising:

http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/mice_genetics_1667_25191.shtml

http://www.nature.com/nm/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nm.3471.html

Anyway I am really happy my VL is undetectable and my CD4 is that of a 'average' person. We are thinking about having a baby in the next year or two. Does any one have any information regarding conceiving naturally (male HIV+ female HIV-)?

http://www.turboimagehost.com/p/17905164/Capture.jpg.html

Last edited:
From memory, I recall there being a process where they separate sperm from semen and then use that sperm to impregnate. The sperm themselves don't have the virus.

Interesting, any links please?
Hey Wobblier, Yeah no links but the process is called sperm washing and from what the doc. told me it's about $10-13.000 in the US(this was about 7 years ago) I'm sure it's alot more common practice and cheaper too.

Last edited:
I think it's a great way to prevent HIV infection. People on PrEP should still take precautions though, like avoiding unprotected sexual intercourse, never re-using needles/syringes, etc.

Sorry for double posting but I think this is s separate issue and needs a comment of its own.

You might have seen the somewhat recent 'news' story:

Female Student Infects 324 Men With HIV As Revenge! (which has already been debunked)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EsgIrNbKAQ

A quick warning. Every so often a 'evil person spreading HIV is on the loose' pops up in some rag newspaper or lame website (see HIV like disease spreading rapidly across China) . This is at best sensationalist journalism at its lowest. Or at worst a tool for the extreme conservatives or far right to spread fear and control. It is usually rooted in sexism, xenophobia, racism or homophobia and is sometimes linked to the drug culture in a negative context.

I am just putting this out there for some people who might not be aware of it. This being a website used my many sub-cultures mainly the 'drug subculture' for a lack of a better word; a culture that normal sees through the BS such as the old 'dope fiend' and 'this is your brain on drugs' propaganda. However, this particular type of propaganda or sensationalist journalism regarding HIV can be over looked even by some opened minded sub-cultures. I urge you to be aware of it.

These types of stories do not only ridicule peoples intelligence they spread fear and fear is not a good thing to use in the fight against HIV. Stat's and studies show keep a population in fear by criminalization or what not results in a dramatic reduction in people getting tested which of course results in a dramatic increase of new HIV infections. Not a good cycle. Don't put up with it anymore.

Last edited:
My dad just told me that it was a lie. There was only 6 HIV experts not 108. We're not sure yet. But anyway, this is a terrible loss.

^I know I had seen this news yesterday morning, it is a devastating loss. Bill Clinton was also interviewed about the death of one of them and has also expressed his disgust as to what has happened.

Looking to see what people on BL think

I am HIV+ can I do Brazilian jiu jitsu su training?

Should I inform the gym at the risk of people finding out and possibly me losing my job in the area (over sea job)? It's grappling so there will be little chance of drawing blood. I have a non-detectable viral load and adhere to my meds. edit: My VL is undetectable...My doctor here and the one in my home country says it's fine and the 3 nurses I have talked to also. They also agree that I shouldn't disclose and of course always take the necessary precautions.

^im just concerned that if a transmission happened and you didn't disclose it you might get into deeper trouble. Would it be okay to try other exercises that dont require physical contact?