Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

The GHB/GBL Addiction & Withdrawal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MTGG

Bluelighter
I am aware I have posted bits and peces of this before so forgive repetition. I feel it necessary to almalgamte my various and desparate musings!

A little too late for most now, but here goes, Mods feel free to move where needed also, just the prevalence of G in eadd made me choose this forum.

Not being know in these parts for my moderation, I was surprised to learn of the use of sodium oxybate in Europe to assist in not just short but longer abstinence therapy. Essentially a healthier substitute for alcohol without the toxicity and general nuttiness of benzodiazepines. is the slipperiest slope. Remember these are detox agents used on those of an addictive nature and also have recreational value.

When I first tried GHB it was amazing, euphoric anxiolytic, everything I needed.
It was okay at first. Couple of times a week. Then ,I, like others, abused it 24/7 for three weeks. Bit jttery on the withdrawal but I’ve had worse.

But the fool returns to his folly as a dog does to his own vomit!

As anybody who has ever been addicted knows, your body remembers and each time the rattle is harder. The second time bad, third time worse still. The final time we were stuck after 3 weeks of 24/7. Here in the U.K. its easy and legal to get hold of GBL ; damned cheap too. But we were stuck with it. After two hours since each last dose it was unbearable anxiety, shakes and vomits.

Easy as it is to get GHB in the UK you CANNOT get hold of benzos, even if withdrawing you have to prove you can taper. Only ever given for DT's for alcoholics (usually impatient) and then after a point they will give up. I asked my Dr for 40mg of diazepam to come off GHB. She didn’t know what it was, so, this being my only hope, I said that the GHB is just something I’ve been using while I drink 2 bottles of vodka a day! She said to get in touch with the drug clinic and would arrange for alcohol worker to arrange for a visit to my home. I explained I am in early twenties and staying with my folks briefly, would it be possible rather to visit the worker each day as I needed it keeping confidential. She declined and the next day parents were told about my drug use and the strange fact I had been drinking 2 bottles of vodka a day. I told them I hide it well and have special mints. Hypocratic oath my arse. The alcohol worker was due to visit in 2 week, but I was doubting how much my kidneys were gonna take 50 grams of sodium a day!

I told the drug counsellor at the local drug clinic I was addicted to GHB. She gave me a funny look, then told me it is impossible, GHB is liquid ecstasy And that or any amphetamines are not addictive at all! I may be psychotically craving the stuff, but the best thing to do would be to go home, let the ecstasy wear off and get some sleep. I had not sleep for 2 days due to withdrawal!

I maintainded the terrible GHB regime for a few days trying desperately to taper. Many of you will know it can be protracted and distressing especially for those prone to panic attacks.

A few days later I stopped and got some diphenhydramine ,a sleep aid.. I knew I’d still be jittery but I might get drowsy at least. Also 2 bottles of wine to assist in GABA agonist withdrawals. I took twice the recommended dose of sleep aid, but not too many being educated in the dangers of anti-cholinergenics. Last thing I needed was ghb withdrawal and delirium! The choline thing will later prove to be crucial.

Last dose having tapered to 4 grams every 3 hours. 75mg of diphenhydramine and 3 glasses of wine. 2 hours nothing, 3 hours nothing. 4 then 5. I did’t know what happened but a bottle of wine and 150mg of diphenhydramine spaced out worked..

Here’s my best explanation, although I am no scientist. It has been suggested GHB binds to gaba and controls release of dopamine. This is a subject of some contention.

What is true of all reports is that GHB shows that each dose raises levels pf a neurotransmitter called acetylcholine Its mechanism , amongst others, is that it controls the contraction of muscle tissue (ring any bells?) and is also responsible for REM sleep (incidentally the sleep responsible for growth hprmone release.) It is also vital for memeory and learning (in itself connected to REM sleep)

I think by now you know what I am getting at. The rem sleep cycle is usually shorter, but with these massive levels of acetylcholine, they are long vivid and memorable. Ring any bells to users of GHB?These high levels of acetylcholine are being inhibited by GHBs affinity for the GABA centre. Take one dose, you are high but relaxed, as its affinity for GABA wears off you feel wired, rather like the stimulant effect of having had a cigarette. Nicotine IIRC correctly has its stimulant effect due to raised acetycholine (amongst other factors), and is also a potent pesticide because it prevents ther breakdown of acetylcholine. Nicotine too, can be highly addictive.

Now if you have been suppressing these levels of acetycholine for a while you are in big trouble. It always interested me that strictly speaking it was not like withdrawal from drugs like benzos and alcohol. It would build quicker too. There was something jittery about I the withdrawal, eyes watering stuffed nose ,twitching.

In conclusion my laymans belief then is that the withdrawal is both GABAdownregulation ( Although I can take massive amounts of benzos and booze for weeks and merely feel shakey). But also the raised levels of acetylcholine must play a part. Essentially raised levels of this neurotransmitter are used by many nerve agents and pesticides by preventing its breakdown.

Again someone correct my laymans neurochemistry. Just trying to find out why diphenhydramine shoul work.

Solution in absence of benzos is 1 unit alcohol an hour and 75mg diphenydramine every 4 hours until symptoms desist.

Brilliant post. I agree with almost every word, except that nicotine STOPS the release of acetylcholine, hence why people feel relaxed.

I don't why I thought that. Apparently, it causes its release. Well, something new learnt.

No nicotine causes its release you are right. Its a weird one this acetylcholinecholine shit. I thought it stopped the release of acetcylcolinease which metabolise it.

F&B awake and kick my ill informed ass as I am clearly getting most confused

and more mysteriously why does physostigmine arouse people from ghb coma, since it supposedly stimultes the release or prevents breakdown of acetylcholine, why it is used in delieriant overdose reversal.

May final conlusion, i am confused, ill infromed and going back 2 bed.

Last edited:
1 more thing. Tingling of extremeties during WDs. Very similar to parasthesia experienced from too much drinking. This is caused by thiamine deficiency damaging nerves. Having obvious access to these 8) I took 100mg B1 and that set of symptoms and some others desisted.

Have since discovered that, like alcohol, nitrous and other drugs, ghb does indeed deplete b vits at a rapid rate if consumed chronically. Some reports suggest ghb overrdoses should be I.V.ed 100mg thiamine

So B supplement, specifically B1 and B6 (b vits also related to choline i believe) Your holland and barret 'supplements wont be strong enough and besides better off with egg fried brown rice, both being potent b vit foods and evidence suggests more is gained from food than supps.)

Best solution would be B complex stong ans 100mg thiamine tabs. These are pharmacy otc only. If asked why, say your fingers tingle and youve been drinking too much and read google!

I know there is a link between choline and b vits. Lots of nootropics are the rare b vits methinks. Or at least in some areas piracetam is also supplemented for recovering alcoholics and ketamine addicts. NMDA receptor recovery.

MDPV NYD rant follows somewhat related

Proven link between heavy smoking and mental illness. Most reports suggest dopamine/ rrward effect supporting the dopamine hypothesis of schiaophrenia.. However, with our Justin Grayers and the like examining the K mimicking schizophrenia model (although possible failure, much like the lsd mimics schizophrenia model etc), there is a growing movement away from the dopamine hypothesis to the NMDA hypothesis. Demonstrated by the movement of a anti-convulsant like lamotrigaine to use as a mood stabiliser, for its nmda action . Just another way of looking at the smoking idea/ nmda hypothesis.

I am also told ketamine is beng examined for symptomatic treatment of peripheral neuropathy. K is an NMDA antagonist.

Aaah fuck it. Something about smokings effects on acetycholine and the nmda schizophrenia connection. But making rapid incogrous links is a warning sign of incoming manic episode. Back to bed for me! =D

Last edited:
Never go to them drug clinics they are pure shite, I have seen people go there with amphetamine habits and they put them on methadone and give them a smack habit :\

I guess their mileage may vary. All mine are good for is as an exchange and even then theirs not a sterifilt or indeed a stericup in sight.

Not from experience you understand, but from a friend. Their first advice to solve his 5 year, 5 bag a day smack habit was to give advise him to take piriton and take alternate hot and cold foot baths to relax the tension from withdrawal!

Although someone did mention it is some kind of "If he really wants to quit he'll be back technique", but i doubt it given some of the harm reduction advice!

But bare in mind this is a town where a petition was handed in to try and prevent a drugs clinic even being set up, for they feared it would attract druggy types.

Ditto the complaints against the locked sharps bin in coveniences!

MTGG said:
ghb does indeed deplete b vits at a rapid rate if consumed chronically

I didn't know that. This is pretty interesting. Perhaps something to bare in mind.

i think because they are the building blocks of neurotransmitters like acetylcholine, any activity in which you fucking with neurochemitry its best to supplement.

IAt my best, I supplement do 2 vit b complex strong, 100mg thiamine piracetam, choline via lecithin (avoid whilst ghbing, despite piracetam being marketed for myoclonus! Side note avoid piracetam if using K (NMDA bullshit)), zinc and magnesium. water soluble vit. c.

like i say acetycholine effects movement and memory, it would appear nmda receptors effect learning and memory too. So b vits and the rare b vits are important to any substance user.

and dont forget the 5 fruit!

Unfortunately when needed most the regime gets forgotten!

Last edited:
Nicotine stimulates the nicotinic acetylcholine receptors which then stimulate the sympathetic nervous system - there are two sorts of acetylcholine receptors in the PNS, nicotinic & muscarinic. The muscarinic are responsible for the parasympathetic NS and neuromuscular junctions (for turning nerve signals into muscle contraction), which are different from the nicotinic receptors. Stimulating the nicotinic receptors alone produces activation of the sympathetic NS & hence all the jitteryness (it's how things like atropine can cause stimulation by blocking the muscarinic receptors meaning all the acetylcholine ends up activating nicotinic receptors). Once inside the CNS it becomes horribly more complicated as acetylcholine is almost a universal 'does everything' neurotransmitter including having an effect on dopamine release (hence it's high addictive potential)

I explained I am in early twenties and staying with my folks briefly, would it be possible rather to visit the worker each day as I needed it keeping confidential. She declined and the next day parents were told about my drug use and the strange fact I had been drinking 2 bottles of vodka a day. I told them I hide it well and have special mints. Hypocratic oath my arse. The alcohol worker was due to visit in 2 week, but I was doubting how much my kidneys were gonna take 50 grams of sodium a day!

By informing your parents, your doctor has broken confidentiality which I believe is grounds for disciplinary action (you could always use that fact to blackmail them!). Once you are an adult a doctor can only reveal such information to other health workers without a court order, telling your parents is a blatent breach of such and could (should) lead to action being taken against them.

The parathesia does sound like the peripheral neuropathy seen in alcoholics so a health daily dose of vitamin B complex sounds like a good idea - it's the reason that alcoholics who will not stop drinking are directed towards Guiness etc as stouts have high levels of B vitamins. Beyond that I'm in cloudy areas myself as I'm not 100% sure what would be for the best, only I will say avoid physostigmine unless given by a doctor as too much will reproduce the effects of nerve gas poisoning.

interesting stuff MTGG but until such things are empirically proven the usage of your information will no doubt remain word of mouth type ~ still well done for bothering !

thats what i thought. Who fucking knows, all the neurotransmitters are linked and most head meds are sledgehammer nutshell approaches.

So learn what we can, as i mentioned in another thread u wont get better advice than here. Although BL may corrupt u.

I have never got close to psychosis. I have also used benzos, and propranolol with fantastic success. I think seroquel would be useless for me, as I had it in some fake diazepams, and it didn't even get rid of an alcohol hangover and make me sleep. It just made me feel weird. I wouldn't dream of using GBL 24/7, unless I had some benzos to end it. Diazepam stops the withdrawals, and knocks me out. Which is excellent.

You know, reading through this I think it's even more important to stress how easy it is to slip into the G trap in some of the larger "big and dandy" type threads.

I myself tried it for the first time a few months ago, and quickly realised how easy it is to dose, re-dose ad infinitum until sleep... days pass so quickly

Recently, I was using it every night as a sleeping aid, rarely recreational, and even then; dependence (for sleep) was noticeable after only 2-3 weeks.

Thankfully with the fear of another addiction, I managed to get a grip of it...

I can understand how easy it would be to just keep going!

MTGG said:
I told the drug counsellor at the local drug clinic I was addicted to GHB. She gave me a funny look, then told me it is impossible, GHB is liquid ecstasy
I actually laughed out loud when I read that. I was 24/7 for 3 months (Huge doses, 2 hour increments. In desparation, I called some detox clinics, and one said the exact same thing, almost word for word. Decided not to go ONLY because they were so ignorant. Family doc wouldn't give me benzos. Had to convince some doc to prescribe them to my parents, on the condition that I lived with them until they were done. .5 mg Xanax every 4-6 hours was supposed to completely get rid of it. Yeah right. Dad took me to hospital cuz the withdrawls were so frighteneing. All I can say is i'm glad I learned my lesson with GHB cuz I KNOW it would have happened with heroin at some point, had it not happened with GHB. I can count the number of times i've used H on my fingers, and I've never shot up, but I REALLY wanted to experience what physical addiction was and GHB, thankfully, happened first. I almost couldn't quit GHB, even with benzos. I seriously considered suicide as an alternative to quitting, so I know I could NEVER quit heroin if I got addicted. I would almost recommend GHB addiction to anyone considering opiate use.

Please help me get off ghb

PLEASE HELP!!​

Hello, I hope someone still comes to this forum and reads it. I need help to come off GHB. I've been doing it for over a year now and have quit several times. Not something I want to go through again. This time I want to quit for good. Does anyone have a checklist of what I can do or take to make this time not so intense? Last time I turned to drinking and blacked out for the first three days. I wasn't eating anything and hallucinating. After followed major panic attacks each day. Nightmares, sweats and vomiting. It took me about two weeks until I started feeling normal both physically and mentally. Unfortunately, I continued with the drinking which lead to depression and other unfortunate events. This is what led me back to G. But my situation has changed, for the better and I have just found out that I'm 11 weeks pregnant. I have been reading up on this forum and other websites to get some information about ghb and quitting. I can tell you I am only getting confused with all the information. I've even been to my family physician, to the hospital and a drug rehab clinic. They are all pretty much clueless about this drug. Please give me a step by step guide to come off this horrible drug. Someway that won't harm my fetus any worse.

Thank you, you will be helping save a life make that two lives!

And if anyone has information on GHB use during the first tri-mester of pregnancy, please fill me in. As I haven't been able to find anything really directed towards g.

Once again Thank You and Gob Bless.

MiMi

Hello MiMi and welcome to BL :)

I don't know if you've seen the GBL Megathread but there's some ideas about withdrawal from G in there and people who can maybe offer some support and advice. In a nutshell, most people seem to use benzos or phenibut for acute withdrawal. Staying off it in the longer term is another matter perhaps, but you clearly have a very good reason to stay away from it.

Medical and drug services really don't seem to have any idea about how to deal with a G addiction but many people have had success dealing with the worst of the withdrawal symptoms using either a short spell on benzos or a rapid taper with phenibut. I've been rather lucky that I've not really had to deal with G withdrawals but many here have and can hopefully give you some pointers and support.

Good luck <3

MiMi, read the GBL megathread. There's plenty of information from me in there. I would recommend phenibut. You can be back to normal within a few days, depending on how long you've been on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.