• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

The fish thread

haha killer jizz

but your right Klue, collecting natural sea water is evidently the key from what I have heard from aquarists who keep marine, better still the place you actually source that water. If you live in a less polluted/less metropolitan environment you will have access to quality marine water. Here in Sydney you would be crazy to just go to the beach and chuck that in.

The shop I mostly go to sources water something like 2-3km's offshore and sells it by the litre, actually the other weekend they didnt go out becasue the weather was bad and there was a waiting list to be allocated water from the next delivery

Crikey, they are bottling sea water these days... what will be next!!!

Surely high tide in Botany Bay would be clean enough. You definantly would be mad to go to like Darling harbour or something. I guess it just depends whats convenient really. :|

City Vs Country I guess. Byron shire FTW!

:D

Klue said:
My godmum had an awesome marine tank with a big anemone and clown fish that would chill out in it. She had so much success because she lived three minutes from the surf and used to collect water at high tide for her water changes.
I recon its cruel to use salty crystals to make your own sea water. :(

Edit: Oh she also had a sea cucumber that spawned and killed all the fish with its milky cloudy gism. :(

Whilst its best to use seawater where possible, there are brands of salt that are actually better for reef tanks as they have a higher calcium content. The biggest breeder of marine tropicals in Europe use ground water mixed with salt, so it cant all be bad. The main downside to collecting seawater yourself is quarantine, you can introduce snail or worm larvae into your tank which can cause havoc in a well balanced reef aquaria if they get established, its best, if you can anyway, to filter it before adding it. Oh, and porcupine fish make THE best pets!

On second thoughts, maybe not Botany Bay.

I wonder what Sydney Aquarium do for all thier aquariums? I'd recon they pump it straight out of the harbour but maybe they treat it or filter it?

I have always wanted a marine tank since I saw godmums tank, but the maintainence is a killer, so I bought a snorkel :)

Edit: Cool cool Tapout. Sound like you know what your on about. :) It just has never made sense to me living so close to the ocean to use salt. I can virtually smell the ocean and the Brunswick river (about 100m from my house) right now.

Klue said:
On second thoughts, maybe not Botany Bay.

I wonder what Sydney Aquarium do for all thier aquariums? I'd recon they pump it straight out of the harbour but maybe they treat it or filter it?

I have always wanted a marine tank since I saw godmums tank, but the maintainence is a killer, so I bought a snorkel :)

Big pipe out in the middle of the harbour, 0.2 um filtered, UV and ozone sterilised then past through a biofilter and protein skimmers and into a sump i think, they may even make up some of their water with salt and freshwater to avoid disease issues.

most public aquariums use the same salt mixes as the hobblyist. the aquarium in georgia uses instant ocean, and that is what i use

haha after 8 years of studying fish biology and production you pick up a few things!

Welcome to BL you two noobeys. Dont become like most new people and post a bit then never return!

Tapout! Awesome! Do you have an aquarium? Photos?

tapout said:
haha after 8 years of studying fish biology and production you pick up a few things!

hey i am just telling you what GEORGIA aquarium uses, i didnt say anything about sydney. :different user name:

Dude, I dont know what is going on but you cant have two user names.

Its agains the BLUA, (Bluelight user agreement), A legal document.

So choose one and use it exclusively!

tapout said:
and I think this is refering to me saying it sounds like he knows what he is talking about.

*extremely confused smiley*

Did you find the maintenance on the set up in your pictures to be very draining on your time?

once you get used to the camera it is relatively easy to get decent pics. taking care of a reef tank isn't hard. the real hard part is starting up and being a newb. and btw any tang needs a tank over 90 gallon and a smaller tank is actually harder to keep that a large tank. like a 10gallon is alot harder that a 55+ tank.

Klue said:
Dude, I dont know what is going on but you cant have two user names.

Its agains the BLUA, (Bluelight user agreement), A legal document.

So choose one and use it exclusively!

and I think this is refering to me saying it sounds like he knows what he is talking about.

*extremely confused smiley*

if that was what he meant then i am sorry, because it sounded like he was talking to me about what i said about the salt use.

the other account is my friends name, i used his computer because my internet was out

Klue said:
Welcome to BL you two noobeys. Dont become like most new people and post a bit then never return!

Tapout! Awesome! Do you have an aquarium? Photos?

hahaha... only one thing worse than noobs

noobs that know shit

haha ;) ;) ;) ;)

nah good shit, thanks for the input

sony123 said:
once you get used to the camera it is relatively easy to get decent pics. taking care of a reef tank isn't hard. the real hard part is starting up and being a newb. and btw any tang needs a tank over 90 gallon and a smaller tank is actually harder to keep that a large tank. like a 10gallon is alot harder that a 55+ tank.

Is that a fact, hmmmm... interesting

back to the drawing board

sony123: Thanks for clearing that up, you just need to be careful, as Klue said, it's against the BLUA to post under multiple names. :)

Last edited:
Hey eggman! Just got back from the pet shop and they had Fish fuel! BUT, they only had turtle, marine and Cic(fck I always have to check the spelling) Cichlid. No community or goldfish. :(
The Cichlid food had chunks of spinach in it but didnt look very veggie packed.

I bought some Frozen brine shrimp instead. So as of now he is getting:
-Live mozzie wrigglers
-Frozen Bloodworms
-Frozen Brineshrimp
-Betta pellets

I could also buy some freeze dried brine and some flake food to vary it even more. (Little $2 tubs, well within buget).

But I would like to get some veggie matter in there somewhere.

tapout said:
Big pipe out in the middle of the harbour, 0.2 um filtered, UV and ozone sterilised then past through a biofilter and protein skimmers and into a sump i think, they may even make up some of their water with salt and freshwater to avoid disease issues.

Where did you hear this? I find that a little unlikely :\

^ I would rekon if they had to filter all the water in thier big shark pond thingy (Where you walk in the tubes) it would be a HUGE expense and a big operation.

Simon is getting very close to a clump of weed I bought today. :( Little bugger eats everything, he must sniff it out.
picture083av9.jpg

The guy in the shop said he was a Golden Mystery snail aka apple snail, woo hoo!

nickyj said:
Where did you hear this? I find that a little unlikely :\
Tis true. I am a member of the aquarium trust and have been on the so called 'behind the scenes' tour. The UV filter part itself is quite impressive. The water passes through a special sealed chamber and is plasted with UV light so intense that it would blow your vision

Klue said:
Hey eggman! Just got back from the pet shop and they had Fish fuel! BUT, they only had turtle, marine and Cic(fck I always have to check the spelling) Cichlid. No community or goldfish. :(
The Cichlid food had chunks of spinach in it but didnt look very veggie packed.
wow thats so strange. Down here where i live its the opposite and stores rarely stock the turtle food so i usually have to buy a box of it at a time. If you cant get gold fish consider the turtle dinner as it has some good veg content