The Existential Pain of Being Young, White, and Affluent

RobotRipping;11425191 said:
yeah you're precisely the kind of pieces of shit i hate in life, you are the antithesis of my life and why i work as hard as possible to reach my own goals and not be an asshole about it when i do. My parents did everything they could for me but i didn't have everything i wanted. Glad things worked out for you but if it comes down to it i'm rooting for the person who came from nothing over the person who had it all because their parents worked hard.

also how can i be mad at my parents for not having opportunities? maybe i could be mad if they didn't seize those opportunities but that's it. My parents grew up poor and didn't have an easy time getting out of that cycle yet they did but i wasn't over privilidged by any means. I happily await the destruction of you bourgeois pieces of shit. When the revolution comes, you will be the first to go down crying like a little bitch.

lol, don't hold back bro, say what you really feel :)

I totally see where you are coming from, I was born poor and have always been poor, but after nearly 50 years on this planet living all over the globe I can honestly say the happiest people I have met have been poor, the rich have always seemed to be bitching, shallow, empty and desperately unhappy and unsatisfied. So I've learnt not to envy wealthy people, I can sleep at night, that's all that matters.

^
This. Without a doubt.
I dont have any hate towards to affluent end of society. I do however feel sorry for those that equate money with happiness (or drugs with happiness). Real happiness lasts longer then a large paycheck or a good high.

webbykevin;11429654 said:
lol, don't hold back bro, say what you really feel :)

I totally see where you are coming from, I was born poor and have always been poor, but after nearly 50 years on this planet living all over the globe I can honestly say the happiest people I have met have been poor, the rich have always seemed to be bitching, shallow, empty and desperately unhappy and unsatisfied. So I've learnt not to envy wealthy people, I can sleep at night, that's all that matters.

most rich people become rich because they can never get enough money. They make $100, they want $1000 next time. They pinch pennies and cut throats in an endless pursuit of federal reserve notes. Poor people spend nearly everything, and run up their credit cards. Rich people are shrewd.

bottom line everybody does drugs. Whether it's shitty SSRI's, alcohol, weed, or crack/meth, everybody does some kind of drug honestly. Most "sober" people I know are on medication ...

Statistically 1/3+ all Americans are on SSRI's or SNRI's. A friend of mine was on SSRI's, and still struggling with depression, switched to an SNRI and shortly after committed suicide.

If you sell the textsbook in private you can earn up to 65% whch is good for value as new.

ha, I was given a 'scholarship' to one of those $70,000 rehabs..didn't have to pay a dime, which is good because I think it made me a worst addict than before when I relapsed.

I liked that part of the article where it talks of parents misguided faith in addiction treatment programs. I always thought that the industry is incredibly manipulative and innefective...yet they use some recovery 'Bill W.' Jargon to scare family's into wasting their money.

However I feel as though parts of this article are presenting correlations as truths.. I mean, you could also argue that our/my generations opiate obsession is caused by the lack of jobs due to the recession. You could also say the true cause is our mass reaction to the post traumatic stress caused by 9/11.

I think the rich in most places use more drugs than the poor, but not because their lives are less happy or more stressful (which I don't think is true). I think it has more to do with the rich having easier access to sources of drugs (and everything, for that matter), more disposable income for drugs, and more cushions against professional and legal ruin should they make some poor decisions related to their drug use.

Lol, I don't know if it's been mentioned, I only read the first two pages of comments. But lol @ people who have internet capabilities at all, in a privileged manner- arguing and defending their social statuses.

Laika;11432127 said:
Lol, I don't know if it's been mentioned, I only read the first two pages of comments. But lol @ people who have internet capabilities at all, in a privileged manner- arguing and defending their social statuses.

haha :)

bagochina;11409784 said:
At least he wasn't stealing the calc books.

What really matters is this... Evan is making it harder and harder for people who need pain medication to get it. Yes, as I know about bio-availability, I don't take my medication per os (by mouth) as morphones have a horrible oral bio-availability this way. But, I do not divert or sell my medication. Evan and his dealer (or whoever originally is prescribed the pills Evan bought... unless they're robbing pharmacies, which even this is an issue, as I can only get my meds at one pharmacy in town as pharmacists are afraid to stock Sch. II meds now) are just feeding the DEA more and more reasons why a LAW-ENFORCEMENT ADMINISTRATION should be able to tell MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS how to treat their patients. Thanks to pill diversion, and the reformulation of Opana, I had to stop taking the ER version as if I ate it, it screwed my stomach up, and even though I could defeat the gel matrix, I knew filling my arm with plastic was a horrible idea. I don't care if you're rich or poor... if you're buying/selling prescription medication you are ruining things for the rest of us. Honestly, it's not that hard to get a prescription (or it wasn't)... Just go to the f'ing doctor and work your way up to what you want. Then, you're legal, saving money, and not adding strength to the DEA's argument that doctors who prescribe opiates/opiods are the equivalent of Columbian Drug Lords. Don't sell your pills, make sure you have them in the original bottle if you leave the house with them, and don't travel with your paraphernalia and pills at the same time unless absolutely necessary (and keep them as far apart as possible if you do need to). Just my two cents. Everyone has turned this into "screw rich people" when we should be saying, "Screw the author for adding fuel to the fire."

or, just make all drugs legal and freely available to everyone, but..with a warning label that says, "Do not abuse this medication, fuck up and you get no help, be sensible."

Then we step back and let darwinism run its natural course, and we get to make a dent in the overpopulation problem and clean out the shallow end of the gene pool at the same time.

greywoodfoxhall;11432829 said:
What really matters is this... Evan is making it harder and harder for people who need pain medication to get it. Yes, as I know about bio-availability, I don't take my medication per os (by mouth) as morphones have a horrible oral bio-availability this way. But, I do not divert or sell my medication. Evan and his dealer (or whoever originally is prescribed the pills Evan bought... unless they're robbing pharmacies, which even this is an issue, as I can only get my meds at one pharmacy in town as pharmacists are afraid to stock Sch. II meds now) are just feeding the DEA more and more reasons why a LAW-ENFORCEMENT ADMINISTRATION should be able to tell MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS how to treat their patients. Thanks to pill diversion, and the reformulation of Opana, I had to stop taking the ER version as if I ate it, it screwed my stomach up, and even though I could defeat the gel matrix, I knew filling my arm with plastic was a horrible idea. I don't care if you're rich or poor... if you're buying/selling prescription medication you are ruining things for the rest of us. Honestly, it's not that hard to get a prescription (or it wasn't)... Just go to the f'ing doctor and work your way up to what you want. Then, you're legal, saving money, and not adding strength to the DEA's argument that doctors who prescribe opiates/opiods are the equivalent of Columbian Drug Lords. Don't sell your pills, make sure you have them in the original bottle if you leave the house with them, and don't travel with your paraphernalia and pills at the same time unless absolutely necessary (and keep them as far apart as possible if you do need to). Just my two cents. Everyone has turned this into "screw rich people" when we should be saying, "Screw the author for adding fuel to the fire."

so true. but rich people just buy pills off the street. poor people go to the doctor and get scripts, for 1/5 the price after doc visit and rx fill. I am a pain patient myself and admittedly I usually only see po' people at my doc.

great article! I loved it. I've never tried opiates, but I guess they're fucking wonderful... In moderation, of course %)

Fekyweb;11433236 said:
great article! I loved it. I've never tried opiates, but I guess they're fucking wonderful... In moderation, of course %)

I wouldn't touch them unless you have some kind of emotional or physical pain. Recent loss (lover, loved one, etc.). They just make you feel like you don't give a fuck. Total numbness.

I can't get a "high" off them like crack or cocaine, but they are pretty fun to mix. Even more numbing when mixed. Yes, I have problems...

Been trying to stay off them for awhile because they are so goddamn dependent, tolerance builds rapidly, and when you run out the pain (physical and emotional) is even more than before. Not to mention they kill off good bacteria in your colon or something because when I take them regularly I can't poop for shit.

severely etarded;11433772 said:
Not to mention they kill off good bacteria in your colon or something because when I take them regularly I can't poop for shit.

do they really kill the good bacteria though? That would cause vitamin deficiencies.

Laika;11432127 said:

lol this.

Particularly those on the "I'm poor so I've struggled more than you, and your suffering doesn't matter as much as mine because your mommy and daddy have money and my mommy and daddy don't" end. Fucking ridiculous statements, and one's I have never in my life heard uttered by somebody who is truly poor, even by American standards (by American standards I mean either living in the inner-city or a project, as opposed to world standards, which means living in a makeshift hut of scrap metal and inhaling kerosene 24/7).

I'm going to venture that a lot of those claiming to have grown up poor come from lower-middle/higher end of upper-lower class blue collar communities, rather than inner cities.

webbykevin;11432865 said:
or, just make all drugs legal and freely available to everyone, but..with a warning label that says, "Do not abuse this medication, fuck up and you get no help, be sensible."

Then we step back and let darwinism run its natural course, and we get to make a dent in the overpopulation problem and clean out the shallow end of the gene pool at the same time.

Honestly that ia our current drug policy except for the cheap and legal part.

3 said:
lol this.

Particularly those on the "I'm poor so I've struggled more than you, and your suffering doesn't matter as much as mine because your mommy and daddy have money and my mommy and daddy don't" end. Fucking ridiculous statements, and one's I have never in my life heard uttered by somebody who is truly poor, even by American standards (by American standards I mean either living in the inner-city or a project, as opposed to world standards, which means living in a makeshift hut of scrap metal and inhaling kerosene 24/7).

I'm going to venture that a lot of those claiming to have grown up poor come from lower-middle/higher end of upper-lower class blue collar communities, rather than inner cities.

i'd say i grew up low-middle class (while being surrounded by filthy rich kids) then my family made more money later on in my life but really i was on my own for those times and didn't have parents pay for my education unlike my friends, had to work hard, unlike my friends and in the real world, have difficulty finding decent work because i don't have their connections or rich daddies to hand me jobs. So in that sense i am bitter and have always had bitterness towards the people who had everything given to them. If i grew up like them i'd probably hate poor people, we are pitted against each other, you can see that in people who are from 'old money' do not accept people from 'new money' into their social circles. I could make billions but i'm not going to be one of them, ever.

i'm not really filled with hate for those capitalist offspring pieces of shit; i just find it funny that they have succumbed to the very problems their capitalist forefathers created ie. alienation. Now that their lives are complete (financially), they find they are not whole and turn to opiates to fill that void. Well good for them, i did the same, but i still have to laugh at their existential pain and how it's so fucking bad for them, we all feel that pain and a great deal of it was caused by the 'owners of the means of production', capitalism and the society their rich ancestors created. Things that the ruling class believe are virtues of their lives and now that they feel the pain that the less fortunate have, they end up the same way, but the poor have an advantage because we've been there already and know this shit inside and out.

if you came from 'new money' created by innovation and intelligence then fine but if you're one of those old money bitches, i have no sympathy for you when it comes to your existential pain, hope it hurts.