• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

The Enneagram

The enneagram is something that a lot of folks can get a basic grasp of in a few days but a topic which quite a few people have dedicated a lifetime of study to. There are quite a few forums dedicated to enneagram or enneagram and a few other personality type theories.

I've embraced and then rejected some parts of enneagram theory. I'm specifically not embracing the direction of disintegration vs direction of integration stuff anymore. A five might be becoming healthier by developing eight traits-- but eight as a healthy direction for fives and seven as an unhealthy direction for fives is not as universally true as a lot of ennegram literature portrays it in my assessment. Same with the directions for any other type in the enneagram.

The enneagram system holds a lot of appeal for me over all and I use a lot from it everyday. Even if one eventually rejects a lot of it I think it is a very worthy topic to study.

Yeah, the directions of integration/disintegraton didn't resonate for me quite as strongly as a lot of the other stuff I read, but then maybe that means I have yet to experience it. I found the initial typology to be eerily accurate, however, and was able to pinpoint some attitudes and behaviors that I've not been able to get a handle on for years and years. It was upsetting to realize, but I think it would've taken a lot longer without the tool to help.

read the first link

like pretty much all attempts to label, categorize and so on... it is useless bullshit