• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Social The Dark Side Social Thread v. Darksiders Forever

All I want is to go back to overnights as soon as possible...I don’t want to deal with the customer or the Online Grocery Pickup (OGP) BS anymore...

everyone here thinks the virus is a Democrat hoax so the online shopping thing hasn't really caught on. I use it every time now though. I use my ebt card to pay online and I never have to touch anything or be around anyone.

its convenient but I'm sure super stressful for you and the other workers there.

So my student loans should come through today or tomorrow, then I order my Macbook Air (maxxed out on the drive and the memory, did 1 TB SDD) and I am so nervous, like I really want it to last but I am so nervous it won’t be powerful enough or something, even tho I know it will be.

Ugh. #FirstWorldProblems
You may have been a little wiser to order a pro with more of an ergonomic build and processing power and thus lifespan, expanding memory and drives later through a 3rd party source like newegg if you really needed to. Would've gotten more bang for you buck too, since Apple charges top dollar and then a premium with a fuck you fee as well on their memory and drive upgrades in store.

It will still be a fine computer. Apple products are generally quality and hold up well for a long time. Anything on offer now is plenty powerful for a student (assuming you're not in something computationally heavy like game design or something) and it'll be a great system for a few years at least. If I could afford to buy Apple anything on their computer line, I would.

Sure, like I said I am weary of refurbished.

I can spend like $2,500 (the rest of the loan goes to rent.
https://www.apple.com/us-hed/shop/b...rocessor-with-turbo-boost-up-to-3.8ghz-512gb#

With that budget I’d got for this model with the i5, 32 gb ram since it turns out after some research that Apple solders their ram onto their systems boards now so home upgrading isn’t an option.. then leave the ssd at 512 GB.

Reason being for the i5 rather than i7, is the performance level you’ll typically need as a student, it’s not really a big deal. You won’t max out your i5 and be wishing for the i7 anytime soon.

I was wrong about upgrading the SSD as well. Turns out Apple has been making their pro line unupgeadable for years go figure. It’s been awhile since I seriously shopped Mac when I got my last pro in 2009 haha.

For extra storage I’d go for something like this or an equivalent. These can go cheaper than this elsewhere but this would be convenient for a single order..

Keep your main system files, software, and whatever is most used on the SSD and anything else that’s gonna use of a lot of storage like your media and backups in the external drive. Your performance will be fine and its not really that much clunkier or an eyesore or anything. I love my external hdd.

So this way you’re getting a better build than a MBA, more RAM, more storage and utility with the external ultimately and it’s approximately in your price range.

Not quite the results I’d expected but that’s what I would do after looking into things.

Sorry to hear about your troubles Audiobook. Having shitty neighbour’s is not a good thing to have to deal with, makes you uncomfortable in your own home.

I on the other hand have some good news. An employee in town I applied for called me in for an interview today. A CNC Machine operation position that pays better than what Im in now. I’m working an assembly position in a factory outside of town. Aside from paying better and being in town which is great because I’m reliant on a buddy to get me there (no license) it’s a shorter work week with 4 10 hour shifts and it’s in my field. I went to school for CNC a few years ago. The atmosphere and the setup of the plant is much more open and relaxed as well. Also, my current position I work with a lot of temps from the city where there’s more COVID, and there’s none of that here.

I’m hired and stoked for my new job in town that pays better and 3 day weekends. Awesome.

I live in the hood, and it's normal to hear people fighting and arguing, babies crying, gunshots, loud cars, and every now and then will get a tweeker in fullblown meth psycosis beat on the door like the police. Was something I had to get used too. Being raised in a sheltered family suburb didn't make things any better, but now I am okay with it. Someday id like to get out of the hood.
I hear wallmart does treat their employee's like shit, espically when it comes down to like workers rights and such. I've heard stories of people being fired because they had to take off for family funerals, and how they will hire you less-than fulltime, so you won't be able to benefit from full-time benefits :\

i mean yea i hate my job sometimes and people ask me if i do it for the money, hell yeah i do it for the money, but i also do it because i like to see people grow. helping guys from day 1 up to day 180 when they graduate the program. really keeps me grounded in the recovery field.

I’ve lived (or not lived, no fixed address) in some sketchy places too, but never the hood. Sounds rough. Living in a quiet neighborhood in a small town now. The house across the street is a rooming house with a partying kinda crowd in it but it’s nothing major that’s really disruptive. I guess I’m a little wild in my own way, but I keep to myself mostly and am pretty quiet.

I miss the city sometimes. So much more to do, like anything at all past 9PM.

Werent you on Opiophile too??
I think thats were i stumbled across you first,
could be wrong though.
Glad your better, mod now aye! You really pulled yourself outta the dark spot by yourself. Respect!🙂
Best wishes, Mo

Nah, was never on opiophile, although I am definitely an opiophile at times nawm sayin

Another very shitty year is coming to a close for me ... there is hope on the horizon!
LOL GOERING!!! Thats a good one!!!!!
Yeah, same here! Not that bad but did have a few punches ready. Why am i not able to convince myself that its getting better, maybe? Your a Optimist, love it! Always wanted to be one. But i dunno why, the glass is always half empty for me. Sux :-(

Ok, so I did not go into work today but I am forcing myself to be productive.

It almost feels like I have to force myself to do shit since I have stopped the Fanapt, tho I can think clearer if that makes sense.

I think I just needed a break but it’s time to get back to work.

Also Walmart denied me the week off for finals in December.

Knew they would bc it’s the holidays but still, fuck Walmart.

It's a dog eat dog world you should know this already always be productive, you need humor in order to survive and this might be the greatest advice you ever heard.

I did my orientation at the new job today. Got this week and next week and I’ll be starting the Tuesday after thanksgiving Oct 13 (Canada).

This might be the opportunity of my life. This couldn’t be a better step up for my career. I had a long, but informal interview post hire with the lead programmer. I’m being put in a setup position which I will need to learn from the ground up on these new (to me) machines.

After my trainings through I’ll be out on nights to work alongside him, he wants to groom me to be a programmer as well, take some of the workload off of him writing every program for every part on every machine.

I’ll be several steps ahead of anything I’ve ever done before in CNC machining if this goes right. I’m making more money than I expected too. Due to my experience and my college certificate I’m being started on a higher tier of pay. I’m really excited about this guys.

My life is going fantastic except for one thing. The fucking meth. The fucking meth! I need to get my shit together fast, or I’ll risk becoming nonfunctional again and blowing it.

Anyway I’m being positive today. Feel great actually.

I did my orientation at the new job today. Got this week and next week and I’ll be starting the Tuesday after thanksgiving Oct 13 (Canada).

This might be the opportunity of my life. This couldn’t be a better step up for my career. I had a long, but informal interview post hire with the lead programmer. I’m being put in a setup position which I will need to learn from the ground up on these new (to me) machines.

After my trainings through I’ll be out on nights to work alongside him, he wants to groom me to be a programmer as well, take some of the workload off of him writing every program for every part on every machine.

I’ll be several steps ahead of anything I’ve ever done before in CNC machining if this goes right. I’m making more money than I expected too. Due to my experience and my college certificate I’m being started on a higher tier of pay. I’m really excited about this guys.

My life is going fantastic except for one thing. The fucking meth. The fucking meth! I need to get my shit together fast, or I’ll risk becoming nonfunctional again and blowing it.

Anyway I’m being positive today. Feel great actually.

Congrats on all that bro, sounds like you're making some fabulous progress. Just keep focused on work and learn as much as you can. I will definitely pray for your success in getting away from that stuff, as that is a very destructive habit (currently kinda going through it again myself). Have faith in yourself, work hard, and I believe you can achieve lasting success.

Feeling positive is a good sign, just try to hold on to it.

I keep getting dizzy and not feeling well, and I also have had a dry mouth since yesterday...I hope it’s nothing serious.
@Audiobook, I hope you are feeling better soon and you perhaps just have a touch of a bug...
I know you work at Walmart and I’m curious about something. Do you find that many customers remove their face masks after they get past the front door? That is certainly the case here...

I really need to stop ranting on Reddit bc the BS career advice is basically shit.

Like yes, if I could just quit I would. The fact is tho I am going to be even less happy if I don’t have money to eat or live. Living costs money and money does not grow on trees.

I’m looking for something else but tbh I am not jumping at the first thing that pops up bc it might also be trash.

If I could transfer I would, but I also do not drive, so this leaves Uber/Lyft which can get expensive, or the bus.

Winter is coming up, I really honestly do not see myself doing well taking a long ass bus ride with transfers in winter, even in warm weather it can be time consuming.

You have to think about the fact that you have to do this multiple times a week.

Like I would love to leave my store, but I don’t see how it’s a realistic option to just up and do that.

We have the career LAVA thread if you want some advices

I really need to stop ranting on Reddit bc the BS career advice is basically shit.

Like yes, if I could just quit I would. The fact is tho I am going to be even less happy if I don’t have money to eat or live. Living costs money and money does not grow on trees.

I’m looking for something else but tbh I am not jumping at the first thing that pops up bc it might also be trash.

If I could transfer I would, but I also do not drive, so this leaves Uber/Lyft which can get expensive, or the bus.

Winter is coming up, I really honestly do not see myself doing well taking a long ass bus ride with transfers in winter, even in warm weather it can be time consuming.

You have to think about the fact that you have to do this multiple times a week.

Like I would love to leave my store, but I don’t see how it’s a realistic option to just up and do that.
Do you have any temp agencies where you live. I got all the experience which led to me being a career manufacturing grunt through temp agencies. Might even make something reasonably above minimum wage and a straight shift, eventually hired with a raise and benefits. It’s not the cats ass but it’s something right?

I am definitely developing either a cold or COVID...no coughing but I am congested and have a very dry mouth with a soreish throat.

I also got only like 4 hours of sleep last night so today my brain is mush so I have not been able to do shit.

Got some cough medicine so I’m taking that and hopefully going to sleep.

Shoot me tbh.

No bueno, I'm sorry :/ get some sleep, and hopefully turn that mush brain into slush brain, dont let the mucinex monster get you

Ok, so, I am starting to feel like myself again slowly since I have stopped taking the Fanapt, which is a good thing.

I am also starting to be able to focus on school work again.

Basically my goal for this semester is to pass what I can, and utilize the resources I have available to me (like TRIO and such) so I can do the best I can.

I am going to try to avoid beating myself up tho as I know that at least I am trying.

I have been out of school for years (I am 26 now, graduated in 2012) so I know it was probably unrealistic of me to think I would be able to get straight A’s right off the bat.

Next semester I might take less hard classes together or something like that, IDK.

I am really hoping the TRIO program actually has good help, I think they will and I think if I utilize that it can only help me.

Even if I don’t pass everything I still think I am on the right track as I am trying.

I am just glad I am feeling more alive and like a person since I stopped the antipsychotic, like I am even toying with writing short stories and such which I have not thought about doing in years.

There's no timetable, you're doing it just right. I've been out of high school since 2010 and I still find myself trying to get back into community college after basically drinking my tuition away when i got my first "real" shot at college. Take your time, do it right, and your efforts won't be for naught.

Honestly, Audiobook, with all the shit they dish out to you at Walmart, I think it’s beyond amazing that you’ve been able to keep it together this long.

I would absolutely go onto social security if it’s available to you. You’re trying very hard in college, and working while attending college is hard for many non-autistic people.

Walmart has not been good to you, IMO. I think they have dumped work on you (that no one else wants to do) because it’s difficult for you to assert yourself and tell them the work isn’t being divided up fairly. And I feel they know you have difficulty asserting yourself and they’re taking advantage of you, Audiobook.

I also know you’ve got your mom to deal with, who has some issues, and it sounds like she’s a bit of a handful so I’m sure she contributes to your stress,
as well.

Sweetie, I’m just hoping you can get the hell outta Walmart and start focusing on you and what path you want to take. Take some college classes
you might enjoy. I know you have interests and I want you to discover your passions. Maybe take some art classes. You’d be surprised how rewarding painting, ceramics or fiber arts can be. What I’m trying to say is don’t just take English, Math, Science and History. Take some classes you want to take.

Audiobook, when I read about some of the shit that fucking Walmart puts you through, I want to reach out and hug you, and reach out and strangle them! They are horrible to you and I’m so glad you recognize this.

Don’t ever feel ashamed about assertiveness not being a strong point. It’s understandable. If nothing else, Walmart has done nothing to build your self-confidence and I rather suspect they (and by they I am really referring to the management at your store) have succeeded in making you question your abilities somewhat. I’m sorry this has been the case.

If you want to work, I think you would be better served to work in a boutique atmosphere. I don’t mean a clothing boutique necessarily. I mean a unique and small business that is likely not part of a chain. You might be best suited working at a place where the owner knows you personally and recognizes your strengths and talents. Think of a place like a Hallmark Cards store, or something similar.