• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

The Cricket World Cup.

Hahaha@south africa being beaten by Bangladesh, didn't expect that tbh! If they can beat S.A...why can't we?

the only bad thing about the Bangers beating SA is that it gives both England and the Windies some hope that they could actually qualify for the next stage... well I'm all for the Windies having hope... but England... pah!

CB ;)

deeCee said:
I'd be aware of Banger's they are capable of doing anything.. .

Prescient....

...did you have a bet? (wink)

It's just that Smith's decision to put Bangladesh in on a pitch that was going to suit their spinners the longer the game went on seems a strange one.

Not to mention the way most of the top order batted. I guess Kallis was trying to improve his scoring rate after the crawl against Australia.

Last edited:
Well it was a good start for the Aussies against England... two quick wickets... but it looks like KP is taking a great liking for McGrath... should be an interesting rest of the battle... however, I'm going to bed...

PS, go AUSSIES!!

CB :)=D

Fuck this match we'll beat you in the final instead. :)

^^

I love misguided confidence ;)

If you make it to the final, I hope for a good match :) Good luck :)

CB :)

Good win by the Aussies this morning over Sri Lanka.

I was pleased to see the Lankans leave out there 3 best bowlers........I suspect they did this knowing that they didnt have to beat Australia this time but will have to next time they meet.......... sort of psychological.

Next up the Kiwis..........should be a beauty.

^^

It kinda made it a relatively meaningless game though... but hey... it keeps our winning record intact ;)

CB :)

Heh, I'm just watching the end of it now - they're interviewing Symonds and he's talking about that exact point: "teams that leave out players can lose momentum. It's not the way we would have done it".

Interesting to see that you guys still haven't faced Malinga. I still think he could be the secret weapon - equally, he could get hammered - but when the Aussies are favourites anyway, the Lankans might as well go for the risky play and hope it comes off.

This assumes that the Lankans make the final of course. The Aus-NZ match could be interesting - both teams will finally be playing their first choice team, so I'm sure they'll want psychological advantage.

I will take a moment here to point out that (baring an English upset tomorrow) I picked the four semi-finalists before we even started ;). Unfortunately, I can't see anyone even giving the Aussies a close game, at the moment. Hopefully NZ can, but I don't think Australia's poor performances earlier this season will be reflected when it comes down to the crunch.

Also disappointing is the way that NZ basically had no challenges at all on their way to the semis - we got there by playing England, Scotland, Canada, West Indies, Ireland and Bangladesh. We'd qualified before we played even a single team in the top half of the one day rankings. It was a bit unfortunate really, I certainly lost a bit of interest in the Cup when it became obvious that we wouldn't play a really important game for about three weeks.

yeah i saw that interview with Symo this morning and was interested in his reply......lol, I got the impression he wasnt amused.

I still think it was a smart move by the SL team.

Its important to find a way to get under the Aussies skins and I think they did it.

You see much of the way the Aussies play is to get a psychological advantage and they were not able to do this here because SL didnt play there best team.

The most valuable part of Australias game is the psychological one..........a fact often overlooked by other sides.

It was mostly psychological reasons why Australia lost to England and then To NZ.

lol, yeah I do take an interest in that sort of thing in sport.

Yeah, I agree - and clearly Symo (and Punter said the same thing on Cricinfo) wanted to gain back the psychological upper hand by suggesting it was a mistake by SL. Will be interesting to see who is proved right.

I would have said, though, that Aus lost to NZ and England because they didn't really care - they didn't want to be in NZ for the Chappell-Hadlee trophy, and it showed in the way they played. (Although part of me hopes that it's a real reflection of where the teams are ;)).

Well England were crap, but i think we all knew who the top 4 would be. Anyone notice how they've shut up about Bobs death completely? No news about it anywhere, just everyones gone quiet about it all of a sudden.

Interesting story this morning suggesting that SL actual;ly left those guys out to ensure they lost.............I guess thats a possibility but I really doubt they would have ended up in first spot even if they had of beaten Australia...........however maybe it was an extra consideration for them........

Lets assume SL did beat Aus and Aus lost to NZ then SL would finish second and meet Aus.........Aus would have lost 2 in a row........ damn sure thats when i would want to meet them so the logic doesnt make a lot of sense when played out.

I guess I can also see that Aus may not like the idea of facing SA but the way i see it you have to meet them sooner or later.

it was definitely an interesting tactic and I'd like to see it blow up in their faces when they lose to NZ in the semis... granted they would likely have been playing NZ in the semis anyway, but having gone in on a winning run as opposed to a losing one... the mental side of their game could have been a lot sharper...

They only have Ireland to go before the semi's and whatever happens in that game won't really have any significance I don't think. They aren't going to get a fantastic workout of a game... hell they could do the ridiculous and lose to them... why not leave out the whole squad while they're at it...

CB ;)

i half watched the English innings last night --- all the batsmen played & missed so many times it seemed like a nightmare pitch --- it looked like a dried out mud pool & very baked.

but then SA got the runs in < 20 overs & for loss of 1 wicket >>> would imply all the English incompetent batsmen.

Sim0n said:
The Aus-NZ match could be interesting - both teams will finally be playing their first choice team, so I'm sure they'll want psychological advantage.

Are you sure? I'm picking Bond won't be playing at the very least. Why would Fleming want to risk an injury? Lets face it, Bond is awesome but is pretty accident prone.

We get nothing out of winning this match. I can't see Aussie wanting to play a full strength side either. They will have their work cut out with SA. Yeah they have played shite but they also have some awesome potential.

xtcxtc said:
i half watched the English innings last night --- all the batsmen played & missed so many times it seemed like a nightmare pitch --- it looked like a dried out mud pool & very baked.

but then SA got the runs in < 20 overs & for loss of 1 wicket >>> would imply all the English incompetent batsmen.

Mate, did you manage to see any of the Poms tour downunder?

Seriously they were just as crap down here...... astounding is the only word to describe there inability.