• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

The Cricket World Cup.

^ Hmmm Interesting, could that be why inzy decided to retire?

^Just saw the news and the official cause of death is asphixiation.

Fucken Tragic.

Well it's either going to be a deranged fan or a member of the Pakastani touring party.

Seems strange to me that initially they didn't treat it as a crime scene.... thats some pretty poor police work. They were probably trying to cover it all up.

to be fair, st kitts-nevis doesn't seem like a place which deals with a lot of murders... it's a tiny population and totally different to somewhere like jamaica.

So both India and Pakistan are out of the World Cup!

There have been at least 2 suicides reported from India where fans couldn't cope with the loss. I'm sure there will be more coming from that cricket mad nation...

But on a brighter and more positive note, the Aussies absolutely slaughtered the Saffers!! They hit a big total and then *shock* actually defended it! Top stuff :)

Now the tournament goes into the next stage, the Super 8's. I wonder if the Bangers or the Irish can pull off any more upsets ;)

CB :)

i was sad for south africa :( m favourite team i must confess. where is andre nel ffs?

Thursday morning I'll get up at 6 to watch NZ play the Windies. Go NZ!!

Spewing that Vincent snapped his wrist. Gone for the whole tournament. There will be a lot of people remembering this cup for all the wrong reasons. But hey, drama is good for the game!

^
On the bright side, though, Tuffey's out! (I feel bad saying that, because he used to be good, but ever since the cameraphone sex incident, he's been complete rubbish). AND, with Chris Martin in the team, we have the most musical squad out of anyone!

Shame about Vincent, I'm more worried about Ross Taylor though. But Vincent could have been a real weapon for us.

Also good news: NZ and Aus are the only two countries that (a) won their pools (and take points through to the next round), and (b) get to play both Ireland and Bangladesh. Semi-final qualification beckons (especially if we can beat the Windies) :)

^Sweet as, I didn't realise thats how it worked.

I agree that its good Tuffey is out. I was also stoked when Astle retired because he just wasn't performing and didn't seem as interested any more. What happened with the camera phone sex incident??? I missed all of that...

About two years ago, Tuffey bowled about the worst opening over in cricket history - he basically broke down, took something like 13 minutes to bowl the over, gave away loads of wides etc.

He got dropped for the next game. It later came out that this was for disciplinary reasons. Then it came out that he'd been at a party in Christchurch, and had been "performing a sex act" (or whatever the wording is) on a woman - and some Brit tourist had filmed it on his cell phone. And it had gone all round ChCh. Tuffey was completely broken and didn't play for NZ again, then he got injured, and only just came back.

FORMER South African cricket captain Clive Rice says he believes Pakistan coach Woolmer was killed because he knew too much about match-fixing.

"Bob knew a lot of what went on during the match-fixing scandal in which Hansie Cronje was nailed,'' Rice told The Argus newspaper in South Africa.

Woolmer was coach of South Africa at the time of Cronje's activities but had returned to England to coach county side Warwickshire by the time the news broke in 2000. Rice was then coaching neighbouring Nottinghamshire.

"We were actually involved in a match in England at the time and Bob and I discussed it. He told me a lot that never came out,'' Rice said.

"I'm not just talking about other players being involved, but officials too.''

Rice said he found it odd that Woolmer was never called as a witness at the King Commission into the match-fixing scandal, which he said was stopped abruptly once "Cronje had taken the fall''.

Rice also believes Cronje's death in a plane crash in 2002 was no accident.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,21453972-11088,00.html

All is speculation. But I don't think Clive Rice is far off the mark. Cronje's death was always highly suspicious.

I love cricket. But I'm not sure I can tolerate the obvious corruption that has been rife for years.

"It matters more when you have a bet on it"

Yeah. :(

SA vs Sri Lanka --- huge amounts matched at 1.01.

SA now 9 wickets down with 3 runs needed to win.

As i wrote Malinga just took 4th wicket in 4 balls ?? WOW.

SA now 1.43.

next ball --- if batsman had managed to get bat on it he would have been caught behind.

blocks next ball solidly.

SA now 1.38.

SL misfields to give away 1 run.

again >>> if batsman had managed to get bat on it he would have been caught behind. only missed stumps by < 1cm --- really!!!!

could back SA for 120k at 1.20. ( GBP )

seems to be about 20 SL's on field.

if batsman had managed to get bat on it he would have been caught behind.

SA 1.265.

atmosphere amazing.

SA 1.36

BLOCKED SOLIDLY.

SA 1.32

LAST OVER FOR mALINGA COMING UP.

OUTSIDE EDGE FOR 4. SA wins by 1 wicket.

btw i would like to see SL win whole thing on humanitarium grounds.

Aussies made an aweful mess of the Windies.

They seem to be playing rather well atm, but I still have a nagging feeling that the bowling is gunna be found out sooner rather than later.

Go Aussies! I like the 2 day game ;)

I'd be aware of Banger's they are capable of doing anything.. either 100 run loss.. or a 2 run win against anyone, any day...

MazDan said:
Aussies made an aweful mess of the Windies.

They seem to be playing rather well atm, but I still have a nagging feeling that the bowling is gunna be found out sooner rather than later.

I don't think there's a batting side capable of doing that though. India & Pakistan had the potential batting line ups to do it, but they're gone now. Sri Lanka.... maybe, it would need to be Jayasuria. We've already beaten the South Africans. New Zealand... possibly, although apart from Bond & Vettori, we would take them apart as well.

Australia vs. Sri Lanka is my bet for the final. I like the Sri Lankan's bowling line up, and their batting is quite reasonable as well.

cricket is the shit, i used to play all the time, but with a tennis ball and orange cones instead of serious equipment. At least we had a real cricket bat.

Now that Pakistan and India are out, I agree that Sri Lanka are really the danger team.

Although we have beaten South Africa once, doesn't mean that we will beat them again... and NZ are always going to be a challenge. They've beaten us convincingly in the past - although we didn't have a full batting or bowling line up to throw at them, they can still take confidence out of what they have achieved against us and they have some seriously genuine game breakers in the squad...

I'm not sure how the whole super 8's thing is going to work, but I figure that as long as we keep winning, there should be no dramas...

I think it would be interesting is we managed to go through this world cup unbeaten like we did last world cup.... thats got to be some kind of awesome record in and of itself ;)

CB :)

would love to see Ireland beat England tonight. England were 4/115 and now 5/200 in the 44th over.

To me, Sri Lanka has a slightly fragile batting line-up and i'd be surprised if they won the world cup. I think South Africa are the only side capable of chasing down the type of targets Australia has been setting, and on form we should continue to dominate.