The calm and mature Lounge standards discussion thread ( not a "post pics" thread)

dr seuss said:
the lounge is not really a place to cultivate friendships.
not true!!! many of my favorite ppl on bluelight are regular lounge posters. i post in other forums occasionally, usually OD or TDS but the lounge is by far the place that is sure to make my day better. whether it be a good ass raping or just some funny shit that mcwigga or L2R dug up on teh internets, its almost always entertaining

yeah, i figured that would be quite contentious.

it does seem to be the most throwaway of forums, but i guess when i think about it at least 3 couples i know of got together on the basis of their interactions in the lounge.

oh well, scratch that point :) i stand by the rest tho! ;)

and lets not forget when the lounge posters organize an attack on one of the other forums. that "win randycaver over w/poetry" thread? that was fucking GOLD. esp when ILUWAK started talking shit and the semi ass raping occured...or any of the times M885 has posted fucking HUGE pics of american flags in Aus Social...the lounge is its own living, breathing, foul mouthed, disgusting entity

zephyr said:
Do you think that private entries in LJ, which have previously been regarded as exactly that- private- should be brought out in the lounge and would this improve the quality of the lounge?
i fi understand correctly, you can mark entries in livejournal public or private. anybody can see public entries but only designated people can see private entries - is that correct?

if so, public entries should be fair game and private entries should not. i fyou have granted somebody access to private information and they have subsequently made that public, there's a breach of trust.

that said, you should be upset at those people, not the lounge.

finally, if a roastee isn't bothered by certain personal comments, why should others be bothered by them?

as usual, i agree with pretty much everything seuss says.

alasdair

If the problem users (i.e., posters who contribute nothing to the positive development of the forum) were just fucking banned outright instead of being allowed to post this racist / misogynistic garbage we'd probably see some sort of improvement. But for whatever reason they're given the benefit of the doubt. :\

I've said it elsewhere, but it blows my fucking mind that racist, xenophobic and misogynistic comments are left to sit around while there is a ban on poop threads.

I've also quit posting in the roast threads, that got very old very quickly but it's fair game for those who want to participate.

I think the only thing the lounge needs is more faux-bluelight screenshots :D

bring em back mash

bring em back

bowdenta said:
we've always hazed any new potential member of the BL community in order to weed out the weak and downright stupid. I think this makes the posts overall of a higher caliber.
Clearly BL's been failing miserably at the task of late then. :D

Having been around awhile, I have 3 observations:

1) If you've been around long enough, eventually there's nothing new under the sun as far as the more banal threads...which unfortunately there tend to be quite a few of these days, partially as a consequence (imo) of #2 below.

2) Highly imaginative/creative threads often either get ignored or die a weak death, partially as a consequence of laziness/lack of imagination in crafting a response in line with the thread theme, and partially as a consequence of #3 below.

3) Intelligent but highly provocative posters often tend to either a) eventually get run off largely by virtue of someone they've offended in a position of authority or b) burn out and leave. Say what you want about AF, CMB, GL, etc., say their schticks grew tiresome/annoying/offensive/whatever, but they helped keep the lounge moving by stirring the shit quite well.

Many a time I've had what I thought would be a creative thread idea, only to then think "what's the use, no one will put any actual time into crafting a response in line with the theme anyway".

Alot of decent threads die a weak death simply because no one is willing to put in the actual time to think creatively and respond...it's much easier just to google and post a link to some boring ass pic bullshit, and even if the pic is somewhat amusing it's not the OP's and gets old quickly because everybody else piggybacks onto it.

And before you respond by saying "well that's your fault, you should post it anyway", believe me, on numerous occasions I have, only to see the threads wither from lack of creative responsive effort. It's a chilling effect on contributing anything.

It seems every 2 years or so BL has this same discussion with the same complaints, and the usual answer is that "it's natural, BL is just evolving, people move on, others with different takes on life filter through, etc.".

Well that's true of course, but I will say that imo the evolution has had a dumbing down effect. I think an objective indication of that is how briskly thread traffic used to move in the past as compared to how it does today...perhaps it's just my perception, but lively thread traffic is down considerably from what it used to be. :\

mariposa420 said:
I've said it elsewhere, but it blows my fucking mind that racist, xenophobic and misogynistic comments are left to sit around while there is a ban on poop threads.
While we're on it, I'll say this. I think the whole "no more reference to poop in the lounge" rule was a gigantic crock of shit, and not simply because I engaged in it from time to time.

The only semi-legitimate reason I can think of to even semi-justify that rule was because some people got tired of the schtick. It DEFINITELY wasn't in the same offensiveness ballpark as some of the schticks that are allowed here, and allowed to flourish. E.g., personally I find the "FTW" schtick to be far more irritating than the poop schtick ever was...that's nothing but copycatting someone else's idea that was only moderately amusing at best to begin with.

At least the poop schtick had some adaptability to various types of responses. FTW, whee, what can you say about that? Banal, that's what you can say about it. 8) The only way it would have been amusing after about the 50th use is if it had been used in a lampooning-type fashion, which it wasn't.

I'm not offended by any posting subject or schtick as long as it doesn't harass another poster habitually, but I can't tell you how many times I've heard the "don't like someone/their schtick? Be a grownup and use the ignore feature" reply given in response to a complaint about someone's posting habits. THAT rule is apparently applied selectively.

I'm sorry, but if people can't see why we had to put the kibosh on poop-related schtick for a while, I suggest you seek out some adult remedial education classes. :p

I was in 100% agreeance with gb until the whole poop thing... then I just couldn't get the imagery of him shitting out of my head. :(

AmorRoark said:
I was in 100% agreeance with gb until the whole poop thing... then I just couldn't get the imagery of him shitting out of my head. :(

I think he went over board with that deliberately when he knew he was done with the place and wanted to piss off the establishment here (ie when he became a troll).

When that whole schtick started though, IIRC, a hell of a lot of people participated, including those who banned any form of poo talk because GL went off the rails with it.

Props to Glowbugs post: I was hoping you would stick your neck in this thread and state your opinion.

Finder said:
I'm sorry, but if people can't see why we had to put the kibosh on poop-related schtick for a while, I suggest you seek out some adult remedial education classes. :p
Oh I'm undoubtedly in need of those. Do they offer remedial potty training? :D

I just can't see the justification for not applying a "no abuse" rule rather than an all-out ban.

Had it been me, shutting the repetitive threads would have been enough without an all-encompassing ban on intra-thread usage of the schtick.

I still loves ya anyway though, ya luscious Chiquita banana you. :D

No one has gotten warned or banned for making a poop joke in a thread, so where do you get the all-out ban from? I mean, I think we all can live without "what color is your poop today?" threads.

Well that was the impression I got from the announcement, that it was all-encompassing. IIRC, it was stated as a general "no more poop schtick discussion in the lounge" ban.

Perhaps I interpreted it incorrectly, but that's just what I took from the general announcement.

Well, at the time that's probably what we meant, but we all know that rules in the lounge are pretty arbitrary. :D

My dad's neighbors' Scottish nanny just almost walked in on me smoking weed. Oh dear.

And agreed w/AmorRoark re the screenshots. That shit was hysterically funny.

As for the shit and the shit-disturbers, I'm just tired of seeing rules applied differentially (and this is not aimed at anyone or any forum in particular). Why are some given a chance, but not others? Constructive discussion to that end will probably have a more favorable effect than whining or pointing fingers.

Finder said:
I mean, I think we all can live without "what color is your poop today?" threads.

I absolutely agree but how many pages did that damn thread get to? Oops, looks like it's been hard deleted, so I'll never know.

I'd rather read about shit than see the blatant racism, xenophobia and misogyny that's been going on lately - because anyone who's taken remedial ethics would probably agree that those subjects are also shit.

Most of that stuff has been taken care of, and for the stuff that we've left, well, you have the option to not read it. :)

Dayum. Finder just pulled the "if you don't like it, don't read it" card on me. ;)

Finder said:
Most of that stuff has been taken care of, and for the stuff that we've left, well, you have the option to not read it. :)
See, that's exactly what I was talking about with reference to the "no poop discussion" rule.

Some subjects are given the "be a grownup" brushoff, but the poop wasn't. And the poop schtick isn't is bad imo as some of the others now floating around.

I guess my point is that I thought the rule was an overreaction that threw the baby out with the bathwater. I played with the poop schtick from time to time, but imo I never abused it...but having employed the schtick with some frequency, when the all-encompassing rule came down it had a dampening effect on my desire to contribute and help keep the forum moving. :\

If we have to be grownups about some subjects, then we should be grownups about all subjects and employ prophylactic rules in moderation only against clear-cut cases of abuse. Imo it's trolling that's the real culprit, not the subject matter itself.

What's done is done, I'm just airing my thoughts for future situations.