• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big & Dandy Volumetric Liquid Measurement thread

If all variables are kept the same (same dropper is probably most important) then yes it should be pretty consistant. Only thing is your not going to be sure the mass of compound ingested, so if you do change one of the variables you will have to start again with a much lower dose and gradually work up.
Using a syringe is definitely going to be more accurate and only slightly less convenient.

Why do you consider syringes to be so much less convenient? It takes about the same amount of time... just stick the syringe into the container of liquid, draw it up, and squirt some back if necessary to get back to the level you want. Takes me all of 1.5 seconds. It's true that the container of liquid will need to be a bit larger than one that only carries drops. But given the much greater ease of accurate measurement, I just can't see a reason to do drops instead, unless it's to make the doses looks "cooler", reminiscent of LSD or something.

Xorkoth said:
Why do you consider syringes to be so much less convenient? It takes about the same amount of time... just stick the syringe into the container of liquid, draw it up, and squirt some back if necessary to get back to the level you want. Takes me all of 1.5 seconds. It's true that the container of liquid will need to be a bit larger than one that only carries drops. But given the much greater ease of accurate measurement, I just can't see a reason to do drops instead, unless it's to make the doses looks "cooler", reminiscent of LSD or something.

it's all about eliminating the syringe...not about carrying syringes with you to clubs/parties/festivals, even without the needle.

also much easier for dealers to do a quick drop than piss around with syringes.

2c-i liquid measurement question

I just received 500mg of 2c-i HCL of known good quality. I don't however have a scale that can measure in the ranges that most people report as effective (<20mg). I have read the liquid measure threads that I could find and just want to confirm my planned procedure.

I plan on adding 400 ml of distilled water to 100 ml of vodka in a sterilized mason jar, then add the 500 mg of 2c-i to the solution and letting it dissolve completely. From what I've read the result should be 1 mg 2c-i per 1 ml. The alcohol from the vodka will keep any bacteria or other nasties from growing while not being sufficient to be intoxicating.

Does that sound right? Is 100 ml of 40% a high enough amount?

Any useful tips or critiques are appreciated.

Merged a question into the Liquid Measurement Thread.

To answer your question, first of all, I recommend reading through this whole thread to learn about liquid measurement techniques and concerns.

I would use 200 mL of vodka. That will result in a 16% alcohol/volume final concentration, which will certainly be high enough but will not be alcoholic enough to feel any alcohol effect from taking a dose. Alternatively, you could create a solution of 2mg/mL or even 5mg/mL, as long as you have an oral syringe with 5 markings per mL (I got one of those from Walgreens for around a dollar, a nice one actually). That way you can use a much smaller glass container to keep the solution in. But it's really up to you.

Thanks Xorkoth.

I was considering a 2/1 or 5/1 solution but

a) wasn't sure on the solubility of 2c-i
b) I wanted something with a mouth big enough to easily draw the liquid from and
c) I have mason jars on hand (mmm moms home made pickles!)

What are some other common methods of long term storage for this type of thing? I do have a oral syringe like you mentioned.

2C-I is more than soluble enough for a 5mg/mL solution. I made one of those a while back and it dissolved immediately. I believe you could go as high as 30mg/mL although I am not positive on this. Anyway, there's certainly nothing wrong with 1mg/mL. Enjoy!

The best long-term storage method is to keep it as dry crystals. As a solution or as crystals it is best to store in a cool/cold, dry place away from light and air. With a packet of dessicant if it's not in liquid. However 2C-Xs are very stable so if you store your solution in the refrigerator or something it should last a very long time.

2c-x compounds have dissolved extremely well in alcohol, I'm sure 2c-e will too.

It certainly does - however if you have a fair bit of (2ce/whatever) the interesting part comes when calculating just how much more concentrated the solution is each time you revisit it - due to the evaporation of the 100% alcohol! Take note.

^^ Yeah, that has put me into dangerous situations before. This is why you must be certain your container for the solution is 100% airtight. I now always put a thick piece of plastic wrap between the mouth of the little jars I use and the screw-on lid, to avoid this evaporation problem.

Just skimming this thread, it seems that people may have overlooked the simplest and most accurate way to measure liquids - by weight (which is how things are calibrated in a lab btw).

You don't even need to know the density - you know how much chemical you added and the weight or volume of the solution and then just do the math. Much more accurate than any volumetric method (though it has the same drawbacks re evaporation).

Groovy guru said:
Just skimming this thread, it seems that people may have overlooked the simplest and most accurate way to measure liquids - by weight (which is how things are calibrated in a lab btw).

You don't even need to know the density - you know how much chemical you added and the weight or volume of the solution and then just do the math. Much more accurate than any volumetric method (though it has the same drawbacks re evaporation).

most people use liquid measurement because they do not own a scale

B9 said:
It certainly does - however if you have a fair bit of (2ce/whatever) the interesting part comes when calculating just how much more concentrated the solution is each time you revisit it - due to the evaporation of the 100% alcohol! Take note.

I plan on marking the container with a piece of tape to indicate the level it was at when last used and topping up as necessary. Will that work?

^^ Yes, it will. But it would be best to also make sure your container is airtight. Just get a piece of plastic wrap or something and put it over the mouth of the jar before you screw on the lid. You will notice some condensation on the piece of plastic inside the jar after it sits for a while... meaning you have caught the evaporating alcohol rather than let it escape. :)

Smaller media bottle

So I have been doing a lot of valuable reading on the liquid measurement technique for chemicals. It all makes sense but the only thing which I find a bit annoying is storing and carrying around larger/bulkier containers (e.g. a 100 mL Pyrex Media Bottle) dissolved with the chemical along with a shady looking syringe.
A smaller 1 oz amber glass vial with a dropper is both easier to store, less conspicuous, and more portable. So I consulted this document at erowid:

http://www.erowid.org/psychoactives/dose/dose_info1.shtml#LionTech

Using the above information and all the other threads I have read on bluelight, I have come up with a procedure to use the amber vial to dissolve the exotic chemical. Here are the instruction for which constructive criticism is what I am seeking:

1) Take 100% of High proof Everclear Grain Alcohol or other high proof alcohol.

2) Measure the number of drops per your dropper by "giving one thorough squeeze to the bulb and sucking up as much liquid as possible" (use alcohol from Step #1) and dropping and counting one drop at a time. Let's say (just for example; u gotta count your's!) the dropper came out to 30 drops.

3) Measure the exotic powder weight you want to dissolve on a high precision milligram scale (a MUST or your whole measurement is off).

4) Carefully pour the powder into the glass vial.

5) Now fill up your dropper to full and drop 30 drops into the vial. Now you have a solution which is calibrated to x mg/drop. Of course with some exotics, you would want to dilute much more so you get 0.x mg/drop.

Example: Say you have 50 mg of DOx measured out pretty accurately. So if you put that in your vial and u have counted your full dropper capacity to be 30 drops and you put 30 drops in the vial also, you'd get a solution of (50 mg / 30 drops = 1.67 mg per drop). This is NOT a good solution density for such a chemical because the active dosage is in the single milligrams and you already have more than a milligram per drop!
So what can be done is you put 30 *more* drops in your vial (double the 30 drops so you'd need to fill up and empty your dropper once again) and you'd get a solution density of (50 mg / 60 drops = 0.83 mg per drop). This is getting better but you should make it even more diluted to be absolutely safe so put another 30 drops in and you get (50 mg / 90 drops = 0.55 mg per drop).
You can keep doubling the amount of solvent and get lower density (50 mg / 120 drops = 0.42 mg per drop, and so on) until you have achieved your desired density and/or the vial is full.
But make sure that if the vial is full, you do have a safe amount of mg per drop. The vial being full alone is not an excuse to stop dilution in which case you need a bigger bottle or you need to reduce the starting amount of chemical!

For other chemicals such as 2C-x series, you can dilute to 5 mg per drop. Again it is extremely important for any chemical to be weighed out accurately to begin with or your whole procedure is invalidated and you can be risking yourself or others (this can't be overstated)!

Now you have a vial calibrated to a safe amount per drop.

IMPORTANT:
Each time you dispense from this vial you need to use a permanent marker or some sort of tape to mark the level of the liquid in the vial. Do this by placing the vial on a level surface and marking off the level with a marker or tape. Next time when you bring out the vial and you know that it has not been used, you may notice that the liquid level has fallen below your marker. This is due to evaporation. It's very important that you put more solvent (Step #1) in the vial to bring it up to the old level before dispensing or your measurement will be off!

When storing the vial, put a clear plastic on the mouth before screwing on the dropper cap (you can punch the dropper through the plastic). This will prevent excess evaporation in the long term but the marker is still very necessary just in case.

Finally, make sure you clearly mark the density (mg per drop) on the bottle somewhere so you do not forget in the future.

I have collected this info from various threads and erowid. Again, constructive criticism is very welcome.

My question would be what type of solvent to use because I have read people using 100% alcohol OR 25% alcohol + 75% distilled water. I'd think that for a smaller vial, 100% alcohol solvent would work because the drops would not be enough to get one drunk. But I am not sure which is better for long term storage in terms of evaporation rate (water+alcohol vs. just alcohol).

HTH.
Al

i disolved 250mg 2CC in 1/4th of a liter (that should be 250ml right?)

how much would i need to take in my syringe for a 30 mg dose?

i hope my calculations are correct

when dmt is in solution with a known ratio to mL, you could measure the dose you need in liquid and evaporate the liquid on a plate for example. Alcohol solutions will dissolve faster than water solutions so keep that in mind if you are impatient. you will be left with residue that can be scraped with a razor blade and applied to your smoking apparatus.

when dmt is in solution with a known ratio to mL, you could measure the dose you need in liquid and evaporate the liquid on a plate for example. Alcohol solutions will dissolve faster than water solutions so keep that in mind if you are impatient. you will be left with residue that can be scraped with a razor blade and applied to your smoking apparatus.

Would it be possible to do something like this with 2c-i? But saving it to take orally?

I plan on getting 250mg of 2c-i, and since I don't have a scale, I figure I could measure it in liquid. Would there be any way to dissolve the 250mg of 2c-i in 250mg of water. And then splitting it up into 25mg or so dosages. Then evaporating and storing it? I don't feel that safe keeping it stored in water, and am too young to buy alcohol. Plus it just seems easier to store it in a solid form.

i disolved 250mg 2CC in 1/4th of a liter (that should be 250ml right?)

how much would i need to take in my syringe for a 30 mg dose?

i hope my calculations are correct

Yes, 1/4 of a liter is 250mL. So that means you have 1mg/mL. So for 30mg, you need 30mL.

Would it be possible to do something like this with 2c-i? But saving it to take orally?

I plan on getting 250mg of 2c-i, and since I don't have a scale, I figure I could measure it in liquid. Would there be any way to dissolve the 250mg of 2c-i in 250mg of water. And then splitting it up into 25mg or so dosages. Then evaporating and storing it? I don't feel that safe keeping it stored in water, and am too young to buy alcohol. Plus it just seems easier to store it in a solid form.

You could do this. Please make sure your original amount is actually 250mg... I've received anywhere from 150 to 450mg of a chemical from a vendor when I ordered 250mg. I mean, usually it's quite close anyway, but sometimes they are just plain wrong.

If you have an oral syringe or some other means of measuring milliliters, you can easily measure the 25mg doses once it's dissolved. Then you can put it out to evaporate. But keep in mind that it will be left as a crystally residue on whatever it's evaporated on, not as full crystals like what you received. They'll be stuck to the surface sort of like a film, evenly coated. It will probably be hard to get it all off. However, depending on what surface you've evaporated it on, you would probably be able to scrape/lick it all off. I wouldn't coiunt on being able to scrape 100% of it off though. Maybe if you have a perfectky flat glass surface and use a razor blade and are very thorough.

Do you have any access to even small amounts of alcohol, like just tip a little over from a bottle you have somewhere? If so, you can dissolve the 250mg in 15mL of distilled water + 10mL of some sort of alcohol, or even 20mL and 5mL, for a combined solution of 10mg/mL, and then if you buy a graduated oral syringe with tick marks at every fifth of a mL (I found one for $1 at Walgreens), you can measure out 10mg/mL, or 2mg/tick mark. And you'll have alcohol in your solution, enough to prevent bacterial growth and stuff.