• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

☛ Official ☚ The Big & Dandy Scale / Balance Thread - Part 2.000±

I dont know about brands specifically but generally i believe most scales are fine for weighing things active in the 10-100mg range (4ho-xx's and most 2c's and stuff like mdma). When unsure or when handling stuff that is fully active <10mg i would opt for volumetric dosing in combination with the scale.

I understand that scales like the Gemini aren't too accurate in the low mgs, but let's say I want to get 10mg of something. What's wrong with weighing out 40mg, cutting it up really fine, and then splitting it into four separate piles?

I understand that scales like the Gemini aren't too accurate in the low mgs, but let's say I want to get 10mg of something. What's wrong with weighing out 40mg, cutting it up really fine, and then splitting it into four separate piles?

I have the Gemini, and I like it fine (though I understand some units are better than others). I highly recommend you practice with it a bit to get a feel for how consistent you get (probably +/- 3mg or so) and just use it to weight 10mg and accept the +/-3mg if it's ok for the chem you're using. Splitting a pile is going to be way more error prone and is dangerous.

So what would be the lowest dose to measure up like DOC or something in the low mg range on the gem20?

You can't realistically measure DOC and the like with such a low-end scale. Even 2C-P would be inadvisable.

Agreed. I think volumetric dosing is the only way to go :(

My Gemini 20 scales are only out ~2mg with the 10,000mg test weight, though it definitely is annoying that it simply doesn't want to read anything at all when there's less than like 15mg on the scales.

You can't realistically measure DOC and the like with such a low-end scale. Even 2C-P would be inadvisable.

So even if I weighed out like 30 or 40 mg and made a solution it wouldn't be very accurate?

Don't think I'll be trying 2cp lol

Agreed. I think volumetric dosing is the only way to go :(

My Gemini 20 scales are only out ~2mg with the 10,000mg test weight, though it definitely is annoying that it simply doesn't want to read anything at all when there's less than like 15mg on the scales.

What I typically do is:

- Calibrate
- Place the tray on the scale, wait a few seconds and then Tare
- Place a post-it note (or similar) on the tray and remember its weight. Remove the post-it and then place it again to have confidence in the reading.
- With the post-it on the tray, add the product until it reads like you have the right amount.
- Remove the post-it with the product, wait a few seconds, Tare again in case of drift
- Put back the post-it and make sure the weight is still what you were expecting

It sounds like a lot when written out like that, but it's actually pretty quick when you get used to it...

Before my Gemini-20, I had a good $300 scale. I bought the Gemini as a backup scale, and ended up preferring it: I actually find it easier to get consistent results with it.

Finally, I couldn't stand the insane drift on my old $300 scale, so I also bought a Gemini knock-off (Smart Weigh GEM20) to replace it ($29 including shipping). My real Gemini seems a *bit* better, but I'm not sure if that's due to product variation or the fact that it's a knock-off and the design of the tray is slightly different.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I was just curious as to what the actual optimum range was. Not sure if it is more accurate with more weight or less.

I assumed prime was >25 mg <100 mg but not sure.

Thanks guys.

Generally speaking, as you approach the center of a balance's range, the more accurate the reading will be. Also, you should conduct as few measurements as possible after taring -- too many measurements and you'll start having issues with repeatability. Both of these observations are particularly true regarding cheap scales.

So even if I weighed out like 30 or 40 mg and made a solution it wouldn't be very accurate?

Don't think I'll be trying 2cp lol

If you weigh out, say, 40mg of something on a scale that has, say, +/-3mg accuracy, then your final amount is going to be between 37 and 43mg. For a single dose of something like DOC, this is a vastly unacceptable variation. However if you put that amount in solution at 1mg/mL (or whatever concentration, it's just 1mg/mL makes the numbers easier for examples and is what I generally do so dosing small increments is easier with a 1mL syringe - I can get 100mcg accuracy), then you divide that error across all your doses. So each mL of solution would have between 0.925mg and 1.075mg, which is quite an acceptable variation for nearly anything (even LSD, where .1mL would be between 92.5mcg and 107.5mcg).

And yes, to the above post, scales tend to get more accurate the more you put on them to start, until you get close to the max. For this reason, I always put the weighing tray and sometimes even an additional card or something on mine before weighing, without taring. Let's say it reads 5023mg with the tray/etc on it... then if I wanted to weigh out 15mg, I'd put substance on until the scale read 5037mg. And I always measure a few times to make sure the first one was right.

For those who own the Gemini-20 or one of the knock-offs: Has anyone been able to hack it to disable the auto-power-off? I haven't tried taking mine apart yet to see what's under the hood...

hi im new to this thread and I dont really have the time to read 700 odd posts on the topic , I was just wondering if you's could recommend a scale that would be good to accurately weigh the likes of 4-aco-DMT ,4-aco-Dipt and methallyescaline ?

hi im new to this thread and I dont really have the time to read 700 odd posts on the topic , I was just wondering if you's could recommend a scale that would be good to accurately weigh the likes of 4-aco-DMT ,4-aco-Dipt and methallyescaline ?

A sub mg one!

While a sub-mg scale is always a good thing, a simple cheap milligram scale (~$30 with shipping) will be perfectly fine for these... I use the AWS Gemini-20 and it's never failed me.

Is there much difference between the AWS Gemini-20 and the the AWS GPR-20 Gemini-PRO, with regards to accuracy?

The pro version costs twice as much.

So, I went for the Jennings JSVG-20 and I'm really getting used to it, and starting to enjoy using it.

But ideally I'd like a metal weighing dish/pan/whatever they're called rather than the plastic one which came supplied. And preferably one which ways roughly somewhere near to 10G.

Think is, I'm really struggling to find one. Not even a 10G one... just a decent metal one.

Does anybody know the correct name for them? Or know where to get 10 gram ones? Which don't cost £200?

Cheers

*Edit* Jesus, I've been trying everything in my searches. Surely somebody must have some kind of novel idea for a small round metal dish which would fit on my scales? I've been looking at wasabi sauce dishes and all sorts.

Last edited:
What about a tealight candle casing? Much lighter but could work?

Can you post a photo of the place it needs to rest?