• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big & Dandy Psychedelics and Food Thread - We're Hungry Hungry Hippies

Fruit is sooo good on psychedelics, I tend to make a special thing out of buying raspberries and strawberries and pineapple and what not when doing 2C-B or LSD for instance. I was also expecting extraordinary things for 2C-T-7 and that also paid off well!!
Years ago but I still remember..

T-7 for me gets the tags 'rich' and 'feast for the senses'.

And for me, it seems that during or after a psychedelic trip, new foods that previously seemed disgusting or unpalatable become exciting and delicious.

natural vs. processed foods

i dunno, there's so many conflicting arguments for either side, i dont really know which one's right

i reckon just eat what you crave (unless it's just sugar and fat) because that's your body signals telling you what chemicals your body needs

No way dude.

Your cravings aren't adapted to processed foods. Humanity hasn't had access to the foods we have now for nearly as long as it takes to adapt to new circumstances.

For example: the reason we crave the sweetest possible foods, is that if you are living in an ancient world where you don't have access to refined sugars and such, you will reach for the sweetest and ripest fruits, which are packed with vitamins and other nutrients. Now that technology allows us to separate the sweet sugar from the rest of the fruit, we still desire the sweetest foods, so we "cheat" and we refine the sugars and make super-sweet confections which are indeed super-yummy but lack all of the essential nutrients of the natural whole foods.

So, the best idea is to ignore any craving for processed food, and only to fill your refrigerator with whole foods, so that those cravings don't even tempt you. If you've only got a fridge full of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, nuts, seeds, etc., then you can simply eat whatever you crave!

By the way: since when have there been conflicting arguments for processed foods?

My Diet and Psychedelics

I'm wondering if my diet, which is rather acidic and salty, has any effect on how psychedelics are being metabolized in my body.

I've had some weird trips lately on LSD and RCs (2ce, 2cb and 2ci to be specific) and I feel like something in my diet is maybe interfering with the way the trip would normally occur. I've tripped in all sorts of different settings and with different people, always trying to keep it as comfortable as possible, and in the best mindset I can. But lately, I've been getting uncomfortable body loads, a strange feeling in my head, odd inky visuals, and extreme gut rot. The gut rot and body loads seem to occur primarily with LSD, but I've also gotten a little from the RCs as well. It's almost as if, although they are all different in their own ways, I am getting nearly the same body high and visuals from each.. it's pretty odd, to me, anyways.

I wondered if perhaps I was getting DOxx and not LSD, but why would this be occurring with powdered RCs as well? It doesn't really add up for me. I have only been tripping on mushrooms lately, as those work fine for me, I have great and insightful trips.

My theory was that perhaps, my acidic diet was interfering with these chemicals. It would explain why mushrooms are fine, as apparently, acidic juices can potentiate your trip. But maybe, with other psychs, they can ruin the trip? Would acids destroy or weaken LSD?

I guess what I'm asking is, what kinds of foods should I stick to when I plan to trip on LSD or RCs? What foods should I avoid?

As far as I'm aware, the only way food will affect your trips is psychologically. If you're eating plenty of shit food, it's going to subtly influence your mood, breathing pattern etc. Not that I'm going for the nutritional purist angle, but eating well in the days before a trip can never hurt.

Your suspicion that your diet is affecting the trips could also be affecting the trips.

the extreme gut rot, can you explain? i've noticed having this weird feeling in my stomach like something is being torn apart from my insides, er like i just lost a shitton of weight all the sudden.
I've taken a motion sickness pill, and tumbs b4 when i first noticed the icky bodyloads, and it seems to help out a little bit.

the salt thing.. I know to much sodium is bad for you regardless, like what kind of foods are you eating? anything oily and salty (like fries) always fucked my stomach up and would throw the trip into a weird direction. Like walking around gave me a hard time on my stomach, but when I am laying down, or leaned back in the recliner I feel alright.
acidic foods and alkaline acidy foods?
when i'm tripping I try to eat as much as the foods in the 'normal' level of PH.
http://www.rense.com/1.mpicons/acidalka.htm
I try to treat my apatite like if i were sick.. when tripping, if that makes since. like not eat so much fatty foods.. try to stick with your "Alkaline Forming" foods.. i've never ate a lime tripping, i can only image what it would be like lol, things like fruit juices(not the concentrate shit),seedless grapes,sweet plums were always a trippy tasty treat! :]

try to keep your belly from bubbling as much as possible? burping is quite an ordeal to go through when your tripping (balls), what ever you can do to keep the body load to a minimum.

Look around on that link at some of the foods, I don't know what all you like, and what exactly your eating.

I'm still kinda new to tripping, but what ever i can do to keep the body loads to the minimum is the highest priorty of my trip, because it reallyyy sucks tripping staring at urself n the toilet sick.

if you mix a base to lower the ph of your stomach? maybe that might help.

I know acidity in the stomach will add/hinder absorption, but I doubt it has much effect on anything else in those terms. However diet can clearly effect overall health and well being(mentally as well). Eat healthily and there nadda to worry about either way.

^^ There's some talk about citrus helping to absorb psilocybin quicker than usual, which sounds pheasible, but yeah, I definitely don't think it influences the trip other than that.

It's interesting that mushrooms work fine for you. Perhaps it's phenethylamines only? Have you tried any other tryptamines? If you like mushrooms I might suggest 4-AcO-DMT. There are plenty of RC tryptamines to choose from if that is the case.

the absorption of phenethylamines is hindered by excess acid in the gut. So tums will potentiate 2c-x and friends.

Certain 2c-x also have high affinity for 5HT-3 receptors in the gut, leading to a large proportion of users to experience intestinal difficulties. Whether or not these are real or simply perceived "gut rot" only your doctor can tell you. Some people are able to trip just fine on all 2c-x without puking. Others must purge in order to allow the trip to start in full gear.

Give us an example of your typical daily diet. For example, yesterday I had cereal with 2% milk for breakfast, followed by a burger, fries, and coke for lunch, and finally beef stroganoff with mashed potatoes for dinner. Not super-balanced, but not really all that bad. Until you count the bag of cheetos at 11pm because the munchies hit me too hard :)

It's interesting that mushrooms work fine for you. Perhaps it's phenethylamines only? Have you tried any other tryptamines? If you like mushrooms I might suggest 4-AcO-DMT. There are plenty of RC tryptamines to choose from if that is the case.

Problem is, the first 5 times I had tried LSD it worked fine.. same with most of the RCs (except 2cb, that one's always been a strange one for me). It's only been my past 2 trips on LSD and my past 6 or so experiences with the RCs that this has happened. DMT and mushrooms are the only psychedelics that have appeared to have worked for me lately. I'm sure it's not tolerance, as I make sure to only trip at most once a week. I've tried 5-MeO-DiPT and that didn't go so well but it was a different sort of trip than the ones I've been having lately on LSD and the other RCs I listed.

My diet isn't unhealthy.. I eat healthy food, I just tend to like to add salt to my meals and drink or eat acidic foods, like lemonade or whatever.
For example the other day I had (for breakfast) peanut butter and raspberry jam on toast with butter, cranberry juice, a plum, (for lunch) a salad with chicken and a shit ton of dressing lol, lemonade, (for snacks) pepperoni sticks, sweet n salty granola bar, (for dinner) rice with butter and soya sauce, pork chop with seasoning, mixed veggies, and milk. That's a pretty healthy day for me. Today I had pancakes, a fruit smoothie, a grilled cheesus, cranberry juice, and some perogies. Not too bad, I'd say :D
I don't include a lot of dairy in my diet normally, and I usually eat a lot of fruit and drink a lot of juice, so I was thinking that maybe my diet is too acidic and is breaking the chems down and changing the way they are metabolized, so I have weird trips. Lately I've been trying to include more dairy, less acidic fruits, and less salty foods. This theory of mine came up recently, so I don't think that my strange trips are a result of me thinking that the substances won't work the way they normally would.
I'm going to try and eat lots of healthy, dairy and 'basic' foods for the two days before my next planned trip on LSD/RCs, and see if it's my diet.. hmm!

As for the gut rot.. it's sort of an odd sensation. My stomach burns and it feels like I've consumed a lot of acidic foods, and the rest of my body feels almost oily, in a way. Not my skin, but.. it's hard to explain. It feels pretty uncomfortable, and I have tried taking tums but it didn't really help me much, unfortunately. On the acid trips I'd also get this really irritating headache that made me feel like there was some excess pressure up there.
That's why I'm thinking my diet may be too acidic. Lots of gut rot, unpleasant body highs, and "different" trips.

Noticing one's subtle bodily sensations tripping

I am a 5 year vegan, 7 year vegetarian...and recently have been about a 80% raw foodist. :D

you post caught my attention and rung a bell with my own progress. at some point, i became more sensitive to the regularly-more-subtle sensations of my body....my daily 'body high' if you will. when tripping, this is obviously intensified, and through the years of regular tripping, i became largely inspired to 'clean up' my diet. Not only for the typical 'lets be healthy' reasons, but also, since i was afterall i was a psychedelic connoisseur. I was largely drawn towards clean living to propel my consciousness into higher states. I noticed the cleaner i went into a trip, the higher i could climb.

not to be a stickler with good eating, but the list you gave of what you ate...was pretty bad. lol :) sorry. while you are avoiding fast food, you are lacking in 'living foods'. and from my exp of dietary evolution over the past 7 years..i must say, the only change that really affects your total health is eating living foods. even if you're not a raw foodist, eat more organic fruits!!

acidity/alkalinity in foods is important, as mentioned above. and this is not the pH of the food itself, but is rather the measure of how the blood assimilate the minerals within the foods. fruits are generally (or maybe all) alkaline producing because of their mineral content...sulphur rich foods are acid forming i know. (have to review my books for a better list)

aside from acidity/alkalinity...food combination is crucial for the best high ;) don't mix grains with fruits, that will ferment inside of your intestines, creating alcohol...getting you drunk from the inside out, not to mention producing gastro-intestinal discomfort. ideally you want fruits before grains in your daily consumptions...because the fruit digests quicker, and it will 'catch up' to any grains you have in you intestines. Putrefaction is the other main no-no to avoid with food combining, give a good read over some 'food combining' articles on google or something (i'm not a frickin health counselor, just a master of clean tripping ;))

when i went into raw food i noticed an absolute difference in my daily mindset, as well as a totally different consciousness 'level'. this doesn't happen overnight, but rather takes a few days to a week of eating only raw, living foods. go figure, i you can't go eat a banana and instantly feel transformed. when you're not acidic, processed, fried foods and when you're caffeine-free (trust me i was a fucking caffeine addict) your body will produce way way way less mucous. our high-mucous production is our body's futile attempt at protecting its tissue from acidity, making a wall of mucous which goes all through your digestive tract. so when you're not eating over-acidic crap your body will slowly adjust it's mucous production, which leaves you not only with a 'cleaner' body high, but also it literally 'opens up' the head.

The opening of the head is the most consciousness-increasing angle of raw-foodism that i can make note of. when you breath eating raw, you can feel the breathe go into your sinus cavities and all through your head. so what? you ask....well, for me, this 'air swirling through the head' is proportionate with my daily sense of awareness. the first time i emptied the mucous from my head, on a 3-day raw food fast, i felt like i was on mescaline. It felt like my head was a sphere, and i could make out all the stimulus all around it. I was walking through whole foods and could hear every person around me perfectly, as well as feel all the air circling around my head.

sorry for the lengthiness. but figured i'd chime in with 2 cents regarding the spectrum of bodily-sensations with regards to dietary-correlation.
if you're interested in testing this, try a juice fast for a day or two before a trip, and tell me if you can or cannot feel the difference in your body-load. (and a juice fast doesn't mean go buy v8 and purina farms OJ. <pasteurized bullshit. get a juicer and juice raw vegetables and melons and stuff. watermelon juice is my best friend)

*not intended as a preaching to make you all raw foodists. just decreeing passionately my area of expertise*

a grilled cheesus,
Hold on a second here, this may be because i'm fairly stoned but this caught my eye. Is this a mere spelling error or an implication that you've created a grilled cheese grand enough to invoke Jesus's name into the mixture?!?

Has your diet changed since you started tripping?

It is possible that the psychedelics are helping you notice the beginning of an ulcer or something in your stomach. Have you had heartburn? How does it feel compared to that?

Drink lots of strong (if it doesn't make your mouth tingle it isn't strong enough!), fresh ginger tea (or mix it with lemonade for ginger lemonade) up to 2 hours before and during the trip to help with digestion issues that psychs may cause. And don't eat shit foods before using the good drugs.

Actually, don't eat anything before eating psychedelics. You should really not eat anything solid for at least an hour or two before tripping, and only eat light, healthy, fast digesting foods the day of (anything slow digesting like meat or breads are a bad idea). Psychedelics and food really don't mix too well. I only eat fresh fruit at the end of a trip if I think my stomach can handle some contents. Cold watermelon is my current weapon of choice.

But if you think your diet is messing things up, then change it! Continuing to do the same thing will do you no good, you're going to have to change something to fix things or else it will just stay the same.

Hold on a second here, this may be because i'm fairly stoned but this caught my eye. Is this a mere spelling error or an implication that you've created a grilled cheese grand enough to invoke Jesus's name into the mixture?!?
LOL, yes, it was one mighty grilled cheese, worthy of Jesus.

I'd vote psychosomatic as well
Problem is, this started happening before I started to be concerned about my diet and psychs.

Thanks thoughtsUnThought, that was a pretty good read.. my diet's not BAD, but yeah, it could use some improvement. I'll definitely try to change it up a bit and eat the right foods, particularly before tripping, and use your advice as a bit of a guide!

pseudononamouse: It doesn't feel like heartburn.. it's only a slight burning sensation but the overall feeling is quite uncomfortable. I sure hope I don't have ulcers! And my diet has changed, yes, because I used to eat more unhealthily, and I also wasn't eating very much at all due to the medication I was taking, which causes loss of appetite (63mg Concerta). I was also pretty depressed during this period, I'm much happier now. I'm currently taking Adderall 40mg but I only take it when I feel I need It.. I don't think that it's a healthy thing to be taking everyday, regardless of the 'good' my doctor says it will do for me.

Thanks for all the tips, I'll definitely try out something new and work on my diet.. hopefully things will go better. I mean, I could also just be getting shite drugs, but this probably isn't the case as other friends have tripped off the same product without any problems. Time to change the diet and see if helps, and even if it doesn't, hey, at least I'll be healthier and will feel better.

Yeah just remember psychedelics like lsd, mushrooms and other serotonin receptor agonists can cause stomach/gastric issues even with a really good diet. Look into the ginger, it has helped me more than anything.

Those ginger chews are pretty damn good lol, I'd love to eat one of those while tripping for sure

Yeah I'm not sure that will work man. You need either a good quality fresh powder (if it's old and has been exposed to air a lot it won't work effectively) or the best, most reliable route is to buy 1 pound of the fresh root (a good amount, the more the merrier), peel it (big pieces of root are easiest to work with) and cut it into as small slices as you can. I use my peeler to slice the root pieces up.

Then toss the root into some water, generally 0.5+ lb root for a large (0.75-1 L) cup or glass of water and heat in the microwave until it is about boiling. Pull it out and stir it some a few times while it's still hot/warm, then after 30 minutes you can strain off the root pieces to have the tea. The most important part is then to take the soaked root and with a strainer push down on it with a spoon so you push all the water out of the root as the root will soak up a ton of water and the enzyme you want that will ease your stomach pains/nausea and prevent painful gas buildup will be most concentrated in that water.

Finally I like to mix some lemonade powder and ice with it to make ginger lemonade. It tastes real good this way actually. But you can have it as regular tea if your stomach is real messed up and don't think you can handle the lemonade mix. Lately I'll drink 1-2 smaller glasses before I do anything, then throughout the trip another 1-2 glasses for around 1-1.5 L total. This is usually all I'll eat/drink for the entire trip until 5 or 6 AM when I'm done with the drugs and want to eat a little. Even then it's hard to eat that much but usually some fresh fruit is ok.

Also you can capsule the fresh powder, but you need to take a lot and it won't work unless it is fresh. It is a bit easier, although you need to eat a lot of it (1 tablespoon at least, plus more during the trip if you need it) but I like the lemonade drink a lot more. And if you get crap powder it won't work well. I prefer the fresh root... well anyways good luck.