• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

☛ Official ☚ The Big & Dandy Mescaline Extraction thread

Flarey, use 12" of San Pedro- I don't know about Peruvian Torch though.

Best way to extract:

- Skin the cactus (only the waxy outerskin, dont remove the green jelly like stuff). This layer can be peeled (and be careful of the spines!! :))

- Slice off the green portion, and leave the core (the green part, closest to the skin, contains most of the mescaline). Throw the core out, or make a hat with it- your choice :)

- Dry out the green stuff- best bet is to cut into small chunks and leave a dry but warm area. It'll take a week or so to completely dry.

-When its dry, it will be crumbley/snappable. Grind it into a powder

- Place the powder in an alcohol solution such as isopropyl alchohol (try and get one with over 90% alch- you could use rubbing alcohol, its available from most pharmacies), and let it soak for about 3 days.

- Solution should now be green, as the alchohol has pulled the alkaloids out. Strain out any chunks, and discard them. KEEP the alcohol solution.

- Let the alchohol/mescaline solution dry out (ensure ventilation, and to speed it up, use a fan on low and the solution on a flat plate to increase surface area exposure); it will form a sticky/tarry paste which is a very simply extract of mescaline.

- Ingest in whatever manner suits you. I have stuffed the tarry stuff in caps, but its kinda difficult.

Its pretty easy to do and rewarding as well :) <3

my alternative (and infinitely easier) method:

-take 12" cactus. say a blessing for the cactus as you chop the living shit out of it. cut it into 1/4" pieces (pretty small). Place inside blender with a small amount of water. Blend, then continue blending until it is all blended. Don't remove any skin. Don't remove spines. Just throw all that shit into the pot.

Now, boil/simmer the snotty cactus sludge for maybe an hour. You'll see the sludge reduce, then turn even snottier. When it stops bubbling and just turns to goo, take the sludge out and filter it through a t-shirt. It will be hot as fuck, but just squeeze it through. Put that liquid from the filtering process back into the pot. You can choose to boil the cactus goop again if you want, but it doesn't really matter. Simmer the remaining goo until it is reduced to a small, shot-sized amount. This may take 2 hours or so. Just don't burn it. Stir frequently, talk nicely, etc...

Freeze until you feel you're in the right mind-space, then blast off to the moon.

Okay, in summation:

chop 12" cactus (all of it)
blend w/ small amount of water
boil/simmer for an hour or so
strain the cactus solids through a t-shirt (discard of the solids)
simmer the remaining cactus goo for about 2 hours
freeze (or drink after it cools).

I've never been nauseous from this recipe-- mainly because I take a small amount of fresh ginger before I drink the mescaline tea.

Any questions? PM me or respond herein.

^This is what I have just finished doing, following the instructions here:
http://www.erowid.org/plants/cacti/cacti_preparation5.shtml

Ended up with around 800 mls of juice, now frozen. Any tips on what I should do now to remove a bit more of the water? Im thinking about just letting it thaw and then evaporate. either that or I'll keep it as it is and just chip little icy cactus juice bits off and swallow like tablets. Its a lot of stuff to get down though...

^This is what I have just finished doing, following the instructions here:
http://www.erowid.org/plants/cacti/cacti_preparation5.shtml

Ended up with around 800 mls of juice, now frozen. Any tips on what I should do now to remove a bit more of the water? Im thinking about just letting it thaw and then evaporate. either that or I'll keep it as it is and just chip little icy cactus juice bits off and swallow like tablets. Its a lot of stuff to get down though...

I made the mistake of not cooking it enough the first few times. All you have to do is let it thaw, then throw it back into the cooking pot again. Let it simmer (with no top of the pot) until it is cooked down to a reasonable amount. Maybe an hour or so. Don't go longer than 2 hours...

Really, the worst part about doing it this way is the fact that you have to drink the stuff in its worst form.

Pinch your nose, then gulp it down as fast as possible. I drink grapefruit juice along with it to worsen the effects.

No thanks I like having my gorge stay where it is.

Yeh I think I'll have to do what you suggested Changed, was looking at it again and its probably closer to a litre (.8 quarts) of juice. I'll steam it down very slowly, not even at a simmer. Then when I've got maybe 200 mls I'll pour it into an ice tray so I can just swallow it I think.

I have experimented with this a lot. I am a member of the Native American Church which has a legal right to use San Pedro in California.

The real trick to making a perfect extract of cactus is to freeze the cactus first to break the cell wall.....the other way of breaking the cell wall is drying, but this causes it cactus to lose potency even if it helps you release it...freezing releases it without degrading any of the chemicals you want. So you freeze the cactus....some people freeze it in a pot and thaw it and freeze it again just to be sure. This breaks the cell wall. Let it thaw out. Put it in the blender (This is assuming you cut out all the stems before freezing). You dont need to peel the skin off if you use this method. Blending it exposes enough of the green stuff that it becomes a non issue, and its way easier that way anyway. After you blend it add some purified water. Cook it at a LIGHT heat until it baubles lightly and steam to reduce liquid, but do not boil. This is important. You save this first batch from a light heat extract and filter out the solid sludge from the liquid. Save liquid and then add more liquid to the sludge and this time do a HIGH heat extract. Boil the shit out of it. Repeat once or twice more or at high heat or until there is no more dark green left. Combine all the high heat liquids and steam off to reduce volume. Combine with low heat extract and gently steam off liquid at low heat without boiling. You can skip the reducing phase if you dont mind volume. Just dont accidently boil the low heat extract.

Ive made cactus tea maybe 100 times and this method in my experience is by far superior to any other method I have seen elsewhere on the net....using lime juice just made it taste like shit and didnt make it any stronger.

I believe there are some chemicals in there that are heat sensiive other than just mescaline that are psychoactive that get destroyed at high heat....I have no idea what those chemicals might be but making the low heat extract first and combining it with the high heat extract gives it a unique quality that you dont get from the high heat extract alone, and it also ends up tasting *comparably* better. Freezing and thawing gives you a potency that you will not get from drying or cooking it fresh..

How much tea per foot of San Pedro do you get with this method?

I'd give it a shot rather than trying the alcohol extraction, if you don't have to drink much.

I have experimented with this a lot. I am a member of the Native American Church which has a legal right to use San Pedro in California.

I have never found the lime juice to increase the effectiveness much and when you boil the citris it makes the mixture taste like shit. Ive experimented with this a lot. You dont need vitamin C or lime juice to activate the mescaline. My advice would be to skip it entirely. Maybe drink some grapefruit or pomegranate juice before you drink the sludge but dont boil any juice with the cactus. Pomegranate juice is about 11x more potent than grapefruit as a potentiator.

The real trick to making a perfect extract of cactus is to freeze the cactus first to break the cell wall.....the other way of breaking the cell wall is drying, but this causes it cactus to lose potency even if it helps you release it...freezing releases it without degrading any of the chemicals you want. So you freeze the cactus....some people freeze it in a pot and thaw it and freeze it again just to be sure. This breaks the cell wall. Let it thaw out. Put it in the blender (This is assuming you cut out all the stems before freezing). You dont need to peel the skin off if you use this method. Blending it exposes enough of the green stuff that it becomes a non issue, and its way easier that way anyway. After you blend it add some purified water. Cook it at a LIGHT heat until it baubles lightly and steam to reduce liquid, but do not boil. This is important. You save this first batch from a light heat extract and filter out the solid sludge from the liquid. Save liquid and then add more liquid to the sludge and this time do a HIGH heat extract. Boil the shit out of it. Repeat once or twice more or at high heat or until there is no more dark green left. Combine all the high heat liquids and steam off to reduce volume. Combine with low heat extract and gently steam off liquid at low heat without boiling. You can skip the reducing phase if you dont mind volume. Just dont accidently boil the low heat extract.

You now have a dose of medicine that is actually going to work. It can be every bit as strong as an acid trip or real peyote. Tastes nasty.

Ive made cactus tea maybe 100 times and this method in my experience is by far superior to any other method I have seen elsewhere on the net....using lime juice just made it taste like shit and didnt make it any stronger.

I believe there are some chemicals in there that are heat sensiive other than just mescaline that are psychoactive that get destroyed at high heat....I have no idea what those chemicals might be but making the low heat extract first and combining it with the high heat extract gives it a unique quality that you dont get from the high heat extract alone, and it also ends up tasting *comparably* better. Freezing and thawing gives you a potency that you will not get from drying or cooking it fresh.

Im a noob when it comes to opiates (Which I am using for pain), but you can trust my advice when it comes to cactus.

PH might be important if you are extracting mescaline to put in a pill, but it is not essential for making a brew to sip on.

this is basically the process i have used. but one question... why rapid boil the second extraction? i know that mescaline is heat stable, but i always kept the boil to a very low boil, just in case... does the second rapid boil technique seem to extract more from "deeper" in the cactus or something? i cant really think of a reason for it.

also, i have had great success with several freeze/thaw cycles, i think this is essential for extracting the maximum mescaline content. pretty sure someone else mentioned this as well a while ago (maybe changed, dont remember though), he said on several occasions he did an extraction without freezing/thawing with less than satisfactory results, but worked wonderfully when he implemented the freeze/thaw technique. i have found this to certainly be true, it also seems to make the boiling process easier.

Man up & drink it all down or eat it like Nature intended. It will put hair on your chest.

It seems that my body over time begins to reject the taste of things such as dried cacti and kratom that initially were (somewhat) tolerable. Just the smell of these things almost makes me sick nowadays.

Swilow's got the right idea. Isopropyl alcohol is a good choice. I use methanol because it's more pure (99.9% ) and a whole lot cheaper (gallon for under $10) and is a better solvent. You just have to make sure it's more completely evaporated.

When drying the green stuff you can put it on a cookie sheet and dry it in the oven. I just put it on a low setting 200F or lower. It dries out in a few hours. Mescaline is stable so the heat doesn't destroy it.

When mixing the powder with the alcohol and filter the powder and keep the alcohol. You can add more fresh alcohol to the cactus powder to draw out more mescaline. Filter it again and keep that alcohol too. Add it to the first bunch of alcohol you got from the filtering. I do 3 "pulls" for maximal drawing of the mescaline.

Take your alcohol and put it in a pyrex baking pan and let it evaporate somewhere with good ventilation.

Don't put it in the oven. Long story; learned the hard way; nearly blew the oven door off the hinges and almost burnt the house down. I had a fire extinguisher but it took me 4 hours to clean the mess up after using it, and my alcohol in the pan was full of extinguisher dust, my extraction was FUBAR. So yeah, preferably outside but it's getting kind of chilly and it won't evaporate well. Maybe open a window making sure there's a draft and aiming a fan at the surface of the alcohol so it evaporates better. Yes, alcohol is flammable and explosive. That extraction sure did go bang. :\

After it dries out scrape it up with a razor blade. My favorite way to dose is to put it into toilet paper parachutes and swallow. It was too hard to get it into capsules. Parachutes are much easier and you can fit more stuff in them.

I've always crushed it to dust and caped it.. but that alcohol extraction seems too easy to ignore.. Dried cactus can suck a shit load of water out of you when it rehydrates in your body =-p

Not really. When I take kava I parachute 8 grams of dry powder. That stuff is really fluffy and dry. I just sip some water with it and I've never had a problem yet.

Cactus tar isn't nearly as dry as that stuff and you're not consuming even close tot he same amount.

nooo I don't mean the tar, I mean capping straight crushed dried cactus. I'll take 30 grams of the chunks I get from my guy in peru (bone dry torch) and remove all the white center bits still attached, and crush up the green to powder. I'll end up capping around 25 grams of dehydrated cortex into about 30 ooo caps.. hence why the alcohol extraction is tempting. When that cactus leaves my body it usually takes a whole lot of extra water with it haha *ahem* sparing gross detail, use ur imagination =p

I warn you - when cooking/boiling San Pedro, please remove the skin first. It is tedious and difficult to do without wasting the bright green flesh (the good part) but crucial to get a good extraction. The skin boils up some pretty nasty gunk (I can attest to this), Just slice the skin into sections with very shallow cuts along the entire length of the cactus, and peel as carefully as you can to remove the clear, waxen outer layer.

However, when I got a chance to take San Pedro, I ate 12 inches of raw cactus. I froze it first and then thawed it, before I sliced it into pieces and started chomping. The taste and texture are both pretty rough, but I didn't struggle too much with it. This method seemed effective.

Haha, I think swil found it funny that you wanted to "worsen" the effects. As in you took pleasure in increased side effects. I know grapefruit juice can be used to potentiate some things and make them stronger but people usually don't aim to worsen effects.

Haha, I think swil found it funny that you wanted to "worsen" the effects. As in you took pleasure in increased side effects. I know grapefruit juice can be used to potentiate some things and make them stronger but people usually don't aim to worsen effects.
8o=D

I made the mistake of not cooking it enough the first few times. All you have to do is let it thaw, then throw it back into the cooking pot again. Let it simmer (with no top of the pot) until it is cooked down to a reasonable amount. Maybe an hour or so. Don't go longer than 2 hours...

I have a theory on this. Simmering and vigorous boiling both occur at the same temperature (boiling temp). The disadvantage of using a high heat is that it may burn at the bottom of the pan. The advantage of a high heat is that if the product is breaking down (mescaline is quite stable) the high heat will have less breakdown since a shorter time is required. So boil it vigorously with constant stirring so it doesn't burn. Stirring will also increase evaporation. This couuld reduce cooking time a lot.

I have a theory on this. Simmering and vigorous boiling both occur at the same temperature (boiling temp). The disadvantage of using a high heat is that it may burn at the bottom of the pan. The advantage of a high heat is that if the product is breaking down (mescaline is quite stable) the high heat will have less breakdown since a shorter time is required. So boil it vigorously with constant stirring so it doesn't burn. Stirring will also increase evaporation. This couuld reduce cooking time a lot.

Yeah I stir it quite frequently (almost the whole time).