• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big & Dandy Bad Trip Thread

I think that just because a trip has a bad twist to it and you think its a bad trip, you can still reverse it, and bring it back to normal. A bad trip doesnt have to be where the entire trip is terrible. In my circle of friends, if someone is starting to panic then they are to be reminded that they are under the influence of a powerful psychedelic and that they WiLL eventually come down. For me, that usually gives me the strength to finish the trip.

no benzooooooooooooooooooos !
having a bad trip=something wrong in your subconscious
Escaping the problem won't resolve it, and it could be even more difficult to work through it later.Benzos will repress the problem, wich will still be present, causing you an inconscious pain. Don't make knots to your spirit, let it cry that' s good for it and then try analysing yourself.
It's often difficult, but you can't just chemically supress the
problem, you have to face it...it's often painful but you have to, in order to heal your self. You can't forget your deep pains in benzos, a problem wich is repressed can destroy you from inside, inhibiting you and keeping you away from the great possibility of living fully you're own life. Of course I'm not saying I completely resolved any of my problems, but at least
I'm aware of them so I can work through them, you can't face a problem you don't look at. Just think about it.
peace.

gnrmi sez:
NIACINAMIDE !!!!!!!!!!!!!
(a "non-flushing" form of vitamin B3)
`
many folks find that 100 mg takes the edge off, 250 mg slows the trip down, & 500 mg stops "hallucinations" PDQ...
googlesearchwords:
lsd & niacin
lsd psychosis & niacin therapy
orthomolecular psychiatry
megavitamin therapy & schitzophrenia
dr abram hoffer
vitamin b3 & schizophrenia book
hoffer osmond diagnostic
~
ymmv...

Last edited:
Ok, I'll relate one experience that a close friend of mine had in which the actual hallucinations caused him to have a very bad trip and trama for quite a while after the trip. One could argue that the real problem was the particular combination of drugs. In my experience, mixing salvia and LSD can lead to the most incredible trips. Salvia is the only hallucinogen I have done which gave me true hallucinations of elves and such while making me forget that I was on a drug. Mixing this with LSD takes it to a new level...
On this particular evening my friend dosed and then couple hours later decided to try salvia. I should mention that he had done both before without a problem. After hitting the salvia, he dropped the peice and immediately started freaking out. His sitter had to move him to a pile of cushions so that he could pick up the broken peice. My friend then vividly saw himself laying on a pile of dead bodies... all of which were him. He spent the next 6 hours curled up waiting for the trip to end. I doubt many people could easly deal with seeing something like this, I know I couldn't and I've never had what I concider a bad trip. But I don't mix salvia and LSD anymore(it can be fun with mushrooms though).
On a side note, not all kinds of benzos are good bad trip remedies. Kolonopin can often intensify a trip(in my experience). I usually find the best way to help someone during a bad trip is to change their surroundings. Go for a walk or simply changing the music can make a world of difference. Simply counting on drugs to fix other drugs is a bad policy.

well i would consider this a "bad trip"
i was trippin reallly hard on shrooms and having a great time, we were watching the coldplay DVD and my friends went to turn it off and i flipped on them, so they ended up leaving me, but i didnt realize it until about 30 minutes later. Not knowing if i was alone or if i just couldnt see them really freaked me out, i had no idea what had happened and was starting to question whether i was still alive or whether i had died and gone to my own personal hell. Then my mind just kinda ran away with me and i was telling myself that they left me because they hated me, and thoughts of suicide began to creep into my head. I kept trying to pull myself out of it talking aloud to myself saying im just trippin, i am alive, they dont hate me, dont think about killing yourself etc. But i couldn't convince myself. 3 hours later when one of my friends finally came back to where i was, i was starting to come down. I was just completely overwhelmed by how scared i had been and the thoughts that had gone through my mind that i just sat there and cried.
-
- i think bad trips are triggered by your thoughts and how you feel goin into the trip. I've learned to not trip if i'm sad, because i think thats what triggered my bad trip. I wanted someone there with me that couldn't be there, and it made me sad....... i think thats what it was

To me a bad trip is :

1) a bad trip is the result of someone trying to
rationalize and bring back thier own dying ego
in a hurry.

2) a bad trip is the result when
reality interferes with such an occurence.

its like being caught with your underwear off
with no idea how it got removed, and the
next thing you know, your'e standing in front
of the police butt naked trying to recollect what
a dying ego made you forget.

I think the best way to deal
with a bad trip and a dying ego is
through God.

and I don't mean that in a watered down
religious sense.

Last edited:
ER0X said:
Other than this forum I really dont know anyone that would rather ride out a bad trip than to simply pop a pill and end it.

that doesn't mean they don't exist.

alasdair

It seems to me that using a benzo to deal with anxiety is not productive. Anxiety always has a cause. ALWAYS. One must often dig deep to discover the root cause, often with the help of a therapist. I have come to this conclusion through using psychedelics. When I am having a rough time it is almost always because I feel constrained by my surroundings. It also has something to do with lying to myself. When I lie to myself about something I feel anxious because I know I am lying. Letting go is important. Benzos do not help you let go. They cloud. I feel that the result of using a benzo is depression because the mind is confused. Anxiety has not been dealt with. It has been mearly set aside. One then becomes depressed because you have let yourself down. Anxiety quickly returns and we feel compeled to deal with it in the same fashion as before, with benzos. If you are having a rough time DEAL WITH IT. Open lines of communication or whatever you have to do.

Another potent substance that people use to deal with anxiety is POT. Do not lie to yourself. We have all used it to deal with feelings of boredom, anxiety, depression and just about every unsettling feeling. Do not fall into the trap of thinking that your drug use is mearly "recreational" in nature. Sure you have used it in a purely recreational or spirtual purpose before but unless you are a god among mortals don't say its "just for fun man." Delta-9-THC is a very potent chemical that effects many aspects of the mind. I believe that it very similar in nature to Benzos.

It doesn't matter if you are tripping or just anxious about another aspect of your life. Putting things off always leads to poor experience.

I have only had one bad trip out of many with lsd. I was very young and semi-experienced with lsd at the time (30+ trips) and I developed a common cold and stayed home from school and toyed with the idea of tripping all day untill I decided to. I was taking Amoxacillin (anti-biotic, I forget the dosage) for 1 day prior and the day of the trip.

I took two tabs of window-pane (blue), and tripped great than at about the 3-4 hour mark I started to get sicker my cold intensified and I decided to lay in bed, under the covers. I than started to see what I always referred to as ghost-like beings swimming all around my shooting up toward my face with there skeletal boney faces. I was scared and starting to freak and I really couldn't calm myself down.

Than my Mother comes bursting into my room, boosted up with excitement yelling,

"Theres something in the sky, Theres something in the sky...!!!"
"Get out of bed and look its insane all these colors swirling, it might be a UFO, the neighbors came over and told us to come out and look, Get-up, Get-up"

In no time my Mother pulled the covers from over my head and led me outdoors. I couldn't really see anything as my whole world was filled with colors and melting objects, etc. Everybody was very excited and I remember hearing them remark 'Ohhhh its changing colors, wtf is this?'.

I bowed out at that point and stumbled inside, it was to much, sensory and environmental overload. Once inside I was fuct (++++) and I started to get sick to my stomach and spent the next hour puking into a melting toilet trying to regain my composure. Finally some pot killed my stomach discomfort and I relaxed and tried to enjoy the rest of the night.

It ended up the the 'lights in the sky' were just the Northern Lights, which is very rare in Chicago (the only time I ever remember hearing about them being visible here, except maybe a year or two ago). I am still kinda aggravated that I didn't get to see the N.Lights that night but it sure made for one hell of a night.

I have always assumed that being alone, being 15, being on anti-biotics, having the cold bug hit me hard that night as the main reasons I lost it. Coincidentally my cold disappeared the next day.

I have had 2 'close calls' on being on the edge of a bad-trip, once when I injected some street liquid, and once being lost in a huge 4th of July crush of people moving toward the waterfront to view the fireworks that evening (3 Flying Elephant blotters).

Anyways...

I'd like to hear some other ppls 'bad-trip' experiences. I have always thought that having to deal with ER or medical professionals would be quite a doozy.

at a music festival in England- Glastonbury- i found a sealed baggie with two trips in it in the grass.

Cleverly, i ate both and forgot about it. As night fell and the freaks came out to play i felt a bit of the fear. Some fat man decided to juggle with fire sticks next to me. At this point, the vision was become pixelized and my ego was drifting away. My mind disappeared down various worm holes and i lay flat out on the grass, not being able to remember anything, nor move, nor see.

a small voice inside of me realised i had to tell someone.

'Hello, i can't remember anything. I think i may have taken a trip. I can't see or move. Please could someone walk me back to my tent'.

Its funny how, despite existence and memory melting away, i remained calm in center to talk to people and finally enjoy it.

but because i had no short term memory i kept repeating myself.

i laid down in my tent alone and melded with the universe.

so not all bad :)

A buddy of mine, a few years back, actually attacked some police officers while he was having a bad trip. I think he ate like 4 hits of the Prayer (people who have eaten it, you know damn well how good it is).. Anyways he was out in public with a friend of his somewhere, and they spotted a couple cops standing outside a gas station, and this kid just ran up to them and starting wailing on them, as hard as he could, real psychotic like.

I too have found that lying down alone and letting the trip do what it will is the best way to avoid a bad trip when trips catch you of guard.

One night I decided to eat some mushrooms. I was planning eat the full six grams in the bag, but decided to start with four as I was warned they were good. About an hour and a half into the trip I was fairly level and no where near where I wanted to be, so I decided to finish off the bag. About 20 minutes after doing so, I felt the first batch kick in, hard. Neon colored streamers started coming at me and the carpet developed rich, moving texture. Slowly everything began to swirl and I really began to loose touch. I always find that pot calms me during trips, even if it does make me trip harder, so I tryed packing a bowl. At this point I realized that I couldn't even see my hands over my jar, just a swirling vortex. I calmly asked someone to pack the bowl for me, then went to an upstairs room to lay down. By this point I was having a hard time remebering if/what/how much I took. I spent the next couple hours flat on my back in the hardest mushroom trip of my life. It certainly wasn't a bad trip, just more than I expected after such a delayed comeup. But as theghostofbillhicks demonstrated, keeping a calm mind and just laying down can make almost any trip bearable.

I don't have much experience with benzos but I can tell you that a small dose of seroquel is enough to end a trip. its a serotonin and dopamine antagonist among other things. its properties are related to the meds used to treat bad acid trips. those are pretty nasty chemicals but the worst ive had from seroquel is sleepiness.

The only bad trip I've had was on a heavy dose of field shrooms. My brother, 2 friends and I picked em' the first day of summer right after school got out.

That night we all chomped down our whole bagfull which took some time, wet shrooms are so fucking slimy. By the time I was done I already started to feel weird. 30 minutes after that we were all tripping pretty intensely. By the way we were tripping at my house where my parents were sleeping downstairs.

We were all having a good time until one of my friends joking around said "Are your parents like on the stairs.. phoneing in on us?" holding his hand like a phone to his ear. I've always been really cautious about getting caught by my parents so that just set my mind off. This was only the my second shroom trip and it was also my first really hard trip. At this point my brother and him went to go watch Fivel Goes West and my other friend went into the bathroom to play with the mirror.

I was sketchin' real bad and trying to hear if my parents were downstairs. There was a dim light on downstairs which fucked it up even worse. The shrooms made me think my parents were sitting downstairs listening to us and reading a newspaper (for some reason i heard crinkling of paper). Anyway I then did the stupid thing and tried to make it all stop and by this time I was definitely peaking. I went in my room and curled up in my sheets with the lights off trying to pretend I was asleep. The lights from my computer spawned huge neon monsters that towered over me. Some took the shape of my friends and they seemed to be whispering and sketching out and other hallucinations took form of my parents stand over me looking into my eyes to see if I was fucked up.

I stayed there for about 45 min tossing and turning in my bed. It felt like being rolled down a hill in a fucking barrel and I kept thinking people were in my bed. Then all of the sudden like I woke up from a dream, the door opened and it was my brother and my friends. They looked freaked out by my appearance all in the fetal position in the sheets and everything.

I slowly got up and I just couldn't believe it didn't actually happen. I had thought we were caught and we were all in trouble. They led me slowly into a larger room where they were watching Fivel and my friend had scattered papers all over the floor and he started taking the matresses off the beds saying "we'll clean it up in the morning". I was still confused and I didn't understand time. They kept saying things like "Man it's only 1:00" and it just didn't register. I finally remember just saying "help me" and my friend talked me out of it.

It was nothing like tripping normally the body feeling the hallucinations were all horribly frightening. Though I've never been that terrified for no reason, I'm glad I know what it's like to have a bad trip and I know how to easily avoid something like that.

Shelf life. What you say is very recognizable. Once i had had my first "bad trip" it shanged how i trip since then. Especially the first few times after the experience i was very aware that such a thing might happen again. I think this is the point where it would be good if psychdelic therapy where a possibility, to work threw the stuff you encounter in such trips. Maybe that is what the spiritual emergency network is trying to do in the USA.
Also in my work selling mushrooms legally i have found that the most positive sories (as in naively positive, like believing all you read in "lsd, the problem solving psychedelic", thinking psychedelics are an awnser, not a tool) about psychedelics usually come from people who have never had such a shattering experience.
Also i don't think benzo's will prevent a negative experience, they will only calm you down.

Re: Bad Trips

AustinRay said:
I was wondering if a bad trip is caused by somthing in the hallucinogenic that causes anxiety or that they are caused by frieghtening images that the user does not handle appropriately.

For example you could take LSD,DMT, or shrooms and see demons and become frightened, or could you handle the visions "appropriatly" and embrace the seemingly frieghtening images and even laugh at them.

For me...I can view anything...any fucked up morbid thing and laugh at it...the artist in me is fascinated...the weirder, the better! %) I've never been afraid of any of my hallucinations...I've gazed opon seas of things with teeth and laughed my ass off.

I have a had some bad trips...the reason I had them is nothing to do with anything I saw scaring me...it was the things in my head scaring me...it was ego death that terrified me...I was totally freaked out by being out of control and loosing my sense of self...this only happens to me on high dose shrooms trips...the reason I cannot give up control is that shrooms make me feel so bad and worry going into it and therefore I cannot surrender and go with the trip...I fight the enemy within. Acid I didn't have a problem with loosing control like that...but then I haven't tripped extremely hard on acid since I had those bad shrooms trips...I've only done moderate acid trips.

Meo_dmster said:
I too have found that lying down alone and letting the trip do what it will is the best way to avoid a bad trip when trips catch you of guard.
Hmmm, maybe at the early stages if the trip catches you off guard. But in my case lying down and giving in is not the answer when the trip goes bad after the peak is over, when the ego is coming back. In that stage I have a tendency to panic, in which case lying on a bed staring at the ceiling is pure torture. The only thing that saves me then is either talking to someone I love and trust, or reading something calming and reflective like Zen poetry that reminds me of the beauty of the universe.

I agree with people's comments above that actual hallucinations and visions are rarely (in my case, never) what "cause" a bad trip. The cause I think is either the drug revealing a suppressed mental issue, which so far has not happened to me, or your ego trying to fight back to full consciousness before the drug will let it, which happens nearly every time I trip very hard.

Varying degrees of bad trip.

The other night, a couple of friends of mine decided that we would take a mushroom trip.
It was the three of us, my friends S and D, and myself. I am the most experienced with psychadelics, having done mushrooms several times before this and acid on one or two occasions. S had done mushrooms one time before, and had greatly enjoyed them, and D had never done psychadelics of any sort before. None of us had ever had any negative experience with drugs before.
So, we obtained two eigths, to be split somewhat evenly. We gave less to D, it being his first time, but S and I split about 5 grams between us. We all ate them at the same time, in a secluded park where there was little chance of being bothered. We also had my sister and younger brother, who remained sober, with us to watch over us. We were all excited and in a pretty good frame of mind at this point.
We took the mushrooms, and we felt the climb about 30 minutes after dosing. We went off to get some food while the mushrooms took effect. About an hour later, we had moved back to our secluded spot and were well on the way, if not already, peaking. The vibe was good as we moved around in the park, looking at the bright colors and having friendly chatter.

Another hour or so goes by, and S mentions that he is feeling a bit paranoid, so we decide to move to another, even more secluded spot. As we load up into the car, I notice that he becomes detatched and is having trouble concentrating. He does not speak again for three hours.

We are now several hours into the trip. D and I have come off of the peak and are just riding out the last few hours of our trip, but S is still having a hard time communicating. Finally, he stands up and begins to chatter senselessly. He begins moving around, yelling, singing, whispering. He begins to run around and starts throwing garbage around. He repeats several times the phrase "Its not supposed to be this way".

D begins to get worried, so we take him home. I instruct him to take the benzo I gave him and go upstairs to sleep. I take S back home with me, as he is clearly not able to function properly, and he continues to freak out in the car, and in my living room. I finally sit him down on the couch and try to talk him through the last of his trip. I try several times to give him a benzo, but he does not have the coordination to take it and resists when I try to give it to him.

Finally, after several more hours, he becomes compliant enough that I can give him the sedative, and he falls asleep after half an hour or so.

After talking with him the next day, he says that he does not remember large chunks of the night before, but does say that he recalls believing that I was not really me, and that I was trying to kill him. He also says that he knew what was happening most of the time, but was unable to communicate or in any way control him movements.

This is by far the worst mushroom experience I have ever heard of. Does anyone here have any stories like this? Or maybe someone has some insight as to what causes such a terrible reaction?