• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big & Dandy Bad Trip Thread

Someone once said that the actual physical effect of a drug is only about 10% of the actual effect it has. Seems the other 90% is a result of source, set and setting. I read someone say on here that demons were a far cry off of a bad trip. Id have to agree. In some communities, there is no such thing as a bad trip. Known as an ethnogenic(ethnogenic) experience it is in no way bad. If you decide to start taking things like hallucinogenics then you should completely abandon the idea that its all in fun because sometiems it wont be. I speak from experience when i say that bad trips are a Direct Result of deep seeded unkempt feeling. The portions of the brain that we've worked our entire lives to build up, all of our walls, everything we consider ourselves and what constitutes our ego comes in danger because of the new chemical being introduced. We become extremely vulnerable to our surroundings and the wrong chain of events could trigger such a reaction. Visuals are part of the effect that acid has on your brain and that reflects the effect that it will have on every portion of the psyche. With all this, the subconscious finds itself staring the ego face to face and the natural reaction of the being is terror. Taking acid is no more of an event than the process of (safely) poisoning yourself; on the fringes of death. Thats why no one ever comes out of a trip the same. All experiences are subjective to the individual. LSD-25 has no Programming effect on the human brain. If anything it seems to Deprogram the ailed mind....which couldn't possibly be "bad" in my opinion

I have had 2 major bad trips in my time of around 30 halucinagenic experiences. And for both of them, I can lay the blame solely on set and setting.

Keep yourself warm, comfortable, and away from anywhere where an authority figure of any sort will come to you, and in my opinion, its hard not to have a good trip. However, if there's something you forgot to do during the day, or if something is weighin heavy on your mind, it can turn bad quick.

Its all about your mindset. Approach the trip with a positive attitude, feel free to laugh at yourself, and all will be well, in my experience.

energetically peaking

i believe it all has to do with energy. whether its your own shadow coming to the surface from acculmulative past pain on an undeniable cellular level or new external forces of negative energy that have been attracted to you by your being, it's that age-old native american ideal of disruptive spirit possesion i guess i believe. i've both witnessed and experienced these negative energies zooming in and feeding on fear and confusion off people during my long years of training to be a psychedelic shaman. the interesting thing about these shadow experiences is that they leave a deep imprint on your cells. this can easily be felt in a specific area on the body, sometimes the back, other times the neck or shoulders, some the stomach years later. maybe it relates to specific energy centres in the body (chakra points?) i don't know. all's i knows is that once you have a full-on shadow experience (usually with LSD tee hee!), that negative energy is almost always re-triggered and awakened from within the body from continued psychedelic use. in my experience, it would get triggered from most any drug (except alcohol). booze tended to numb it quite nicely actually but i wasn't a fan of thee old sauce so i chose instead: confusion, fear, anxiety, +more negative feelings in the body for several years on a daily basis that came like clock-work. got used to it after awhile, knew how to work with my new buddy "the evil entity". we were now a team. comfortably numb i guess. finally it must of gotten bored with me so it left, but i still feel the hole it left in my energy body to this day. using other psychedelics such as ayahuasca, salvia as well as saying 'hi' and/or 'YES!' to the new school of pseudo legal phennies and tryptamines, i have found these critters no matter how beneign and nice they are still play close to the edge of my energy hole left from my previous shadow experience. although none of my experiences have been a re-play of such hell, my threshold levels from 'pleasant' to 'red alert' are much shorter in distance these days. i must note, this has in no way put a damper on any of my psychedelic studies, its just been more of a way of watching the road and putting my seat belt on with much compassion and afinity for the One life to express itself in what we view as positive or negative in order to complete its journey of realization.

I dont understand how anyone can see demon,angels,fairies,leprechans,elves,"entities",etc... To me that sounds like yer skitzo or something. I've tripped on very high dosages on many many many different kinds of psychadelics and combinations of psychadelics and have never seen something that wasnt actually there or had any sort of "visions". All my trips whether they be amazing beyond words or frightening beyond hell have never contained any of that kind of stuff. Just things moving around and crazy patterns etc... I've had trips were I had sooo many visuals that I couldnt see even 1/2 an inch infront of my face, or acid trips that kicked in 3min after dosing all leading to horrible trips but I have never hallucinated something. It would probly freak me out if i started seeing things like that. Am I the abnormal one or what???

by the way, the only way to avoid a bad trip is benzos, any kind of benzos is the only way to stop a bad trip once it starts.

ER0X said:
I dont understand how anyone can see demon,angels,fairies,leprechans,elves,"entities",etc... To me that sounds like yer skitzo or something.

I understand where you're coming from, but this really doesn't mean someone is schizo.. It mainly has to do with a strong imagination.

EROX said:

by the way, the only way to avoid a bad trip is benzos, any kind of benzos is the only way to stop a bad trip once it starts.

I'm sorry, but you're just plain wrong. I don't think I would have interjected, but you spoke a blatant untruth with such authority and certinty.

Bad trips are the result of external, environmental factors that can be altered, or internal psychological fears and anxieties that can be resolved in media res quite effectively. IMO, using benzos to make the bad feelings go away is a waste of what could be a profound experience that could have a monumental impact on your personal development.

I have to agree with EROX though. My friend always had xanax onhand when doing acid but he also said aside from stoppping the bad trip, it also killled the trip too. (---?---)

^^atlas, i am in total agreement.

most bad trips terminated with benzos leave behind residual subconscious information, brought up and exposed to the conscious mind but unprocessed - not worked through.

the mind will do its best to try to re-repress the usually very unpleasant information, usually about youself, but rarely is this successfull. in many cases, this his may lead to post-experience depression, anxiety, and a host of other symptoms commonly lumped into the HPPD category.

imnsho, bad trips should be worked through until the underlying cause is resolved.

btw, the only way to avoid a bad trip is to not take drugs.

yes i agree, no trip is worth forcing a comedown. Even though it's terrifying sometimes, those types of experiences are really what psychedelics are all about. If you just say 'I'm not comfortable with this, I need some benzos to come down NOW before i get REALLY crazy", you're depriving yourself of an essential aspect of the psychdelic experience.

I guess you guys just have a different view about tripping than me. My main goal when tripping is to have FUN. While learning from my experiences is a definate bonus, I just do it for fun, you may not agree with this menatality but there are plenty of people that I think would, and subsequently would not like to endure extreme mental anguish. The pain I've experienced during some of my bad trips is something I would not care to repeat for even a minute no matter how much what the supposed benefits may be. Not to mention its very dangerous to remain in those types of states of mind especially if yer unexoerienced. So I guess I'm just speaking for the recreational drug users out there.

Even if you are using psychdelics just for fun, by doing benzos to avoid bad trips instead of dealing with the issues that psychdelics reveal you are dulling the quality of fun you can have, imho.

Well, maybe for you then. But please don't speak for the other recreational drug users out there, as I know many of them who find that working thru the issues is a better way to joy than to just take benzos.

Benzos do dull the effects of psychedelics. In fact, I take them to go to sleep after a long trip. I agree, if you are taking a benzo to cover up a "bad trip" then you are really missing the point altogether. And if you point is just fun, well benzos are still going to dull the effects, and thus your level of "fun." Of course fun is a subjective term. Some people find alcohol fun. Some people find snorting PEAs fun. And I guess some people may think mixing benzos with psychedelics fun. Others don't though.

just my 2 cents...

your state of mind is controlled by many things, hormoens and chemical imbalances, depression is a result of a chemical change in your brain...

this could be why so many people experience bad trips, even a little argument earlier in the week, which subconsiously (chemically) effected your brain hence the reasoning for a bad trip..

i done mushrooms ONCE, 20/25grams of fresh P. Cub resulted in terror on a beach and a town...

now i have been depressed for a long time and was depressed before i took them, even though i felt okay, and generally happy the day i took them it was probily due to the chemical imbalances in my brain...

im sure you can combat it by making your self "ultra happy" which result in no chance of a bad trip...

just my 2 cents

and if i do them again and dont have a bad trip i would say it is a result from not been very depressed any more

I honestly don't think that bad trips are caused by subconcious depression or anything like that. The only time I've ever had bad trips was when taking waaaayyyyy too many chemicals that I should i.e. 3/4vile of freshly made,very pure acid made from white needlepoint fluff. 3min after dosing I was tripping harder than I've ever tripped, I wasn't ready for anything like that which caused a panic attack which is all a bad trip really is. That's why benzos help. It's not cuz I'm "uncomfortable" with the way my trip is going. It's cuz my brain feels like it's being put thru a meat grinder, my body loses all feeling, people OD/have heart attacks/brain hemorages etc... who knows what all the real dangers are with research chems(see my chemical cocktail trip report)ala 2ct7. There's a chance one could die or be completely messed up for the rest of my life which are very real thoughts during a bad trip. Time is really slowed down and every minute seems like an eternity in hell. After taking benzos yeah sure I may be down In 3hrs after taking them but the relief is well worth it when I'd give anything to stop that hell. Plus I really dont think(personaly) they dull the experience after all my comedowns from benzos the remainder of the trip feels like I'm in heaven. I can always take more trips afterwards too, I just need to be more carefull in not to over do it. And if you've only done mushrooms ONCE and you took 20-25g then that is the reason you had a bad trip, not cuz of some "chemical imbalance". And even if benzos dull the fun I'd rather have minimal fun than the complete opposite of fun which is complete hell. I can always live to trip another day. Also during my bad trips there aren't any issues that come up rather than I made a bad choice in the amount of drugs I took, perhaps there are some techniques out there to minimize they pain of a bad trip but if you ever have gone to hospital for a freak out benzos are what they give you to combat the bad trip. Other than this forum I really dont know anyone that would rather ride out a bad trip than to simply pop a pill and end it.

It seems your own fear of a 'OD/heart attack/brain hemorage etc...' is whats causing your bad trips. But, regardless, if you're dosing higher than whats good for you, so that you must have benzos to to keep from freaking out, then maybe you need to take a look at your dosing strategies and learn how to dose responsibly. Also, if you're doing research chemicals and chemical cocktails, there's no guarantee adding benzos to the cocktail is gonna make it any safer.

If it were a bad trip on a low dose of a "mental"psychedelic, I`d ride it out, if it were some kind of more "recreational" psychedelic and it turns bad solely due to intensity not negative thoughts, I`ll probably stop it with benzo`s and beer and weed(somehow this combo stops me from almost all anxiety)
I might even mix in some nitrous, because when doing nitrous I ALWAYS feel positive, so it has the potential to stop a bad trip.

~~The only time I've ever had bad trips was when taking waaaayyyyy too many chemicals that I should

Though the chances of having a bad trip are increased the higher you dose, dosage range is by no means a good way to tell someone if they'll have a bad trip or not. Severe negative mental reactions can be had on relatively small amounts of psychedelics; it's happened to me once on 2.5 grams of mushrooms. It dosn't matter how much you take, it's really all just a matter of set and setting. And some people, myself included, would argue that after you reach a certain experience level, the higher you dose on acid (or shrooms, maybe), the less chance you have of wigging out. Your mind is just too preoccupied with the intense visuals you're getting to have time to 'wig out'.