• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Dissociatives The Big & Dandy Amanita Mushrooms Thread

I use tea, but haven't had good results yet. Last fall I ate 50 whole dried mushrooms and barely got any effects. Slight drunken feeling after nausea and an hour of sleep. The years before that I ate up to 30 and felt nothing whatsoever. Very very tasty though, my favourite mushroom by far (other than truffles).

Yes we are talking 50 whole mostly large mushrooms, hand picked, dried at the recommended temperature, scraped together and eaten (needed lots of water to get all of it down).

A word of warning: The subspecies must be very weak, eventhough I've ordered them before and got no results. They actually used to belong to the local cuisine!

I have been curious for years about amanitas. Then I forget about them and then get curious again. Since it is a mushroom it is interesting anyway. Mushrooms do four things as far as I am concerned. 1. Food. 2. Psychedelic 3. Dissociative or delirium 4. Death.

Capt Heroin if you indulge come back and tell us if it is worth it.

Thanks for the info Crook.

Mushrooms can be marvellously medicinal.. ;) Sometimes in addition to being tasty..

Yeah I get that too: being curious, then forgetting about such a thing again. More like theoretically interesting than really being motivated to explore.

But always fun to read reports, so don't be shy if you guys write any.. ^_^

Some people (Kaleida comes to mind in particular) have said that pentherina are actually a better subjective experience and a good bit different/more potent. I've also heard they can be dangerous, but I'm curious. Actually about both species, I have tried muscaria before up to 8g dried but never got much of an effect besides a drowsy sedation that was pleasant.

I know for a fact that wild animals use Amanitas at times of extreme hunger and being close to death - I was born in Siberia right next to taiga and it had taught me a lot about wild animals.

Amanitas have very special place in my heart, right next to Salvia 8) This is a unique psychedelic. In lower doses it provides nicely going drunkiness feeling and disinhibition, similar to alcohol. If that's what you're after, I'd suggest making a tea - crumble your mushrooms caps and steep with hot but not boiling! water with the lid on until it cools off by itself. Start drinking slowly - few sips and wait for 15 minutes, and just slowly work your way up.

IME tea never got me very high, so I prefer decarboxylated (just put in the oven with the door open on lowest for 15 mins or naturally dry them on the sun) dried caps - they taste like potato chips :D

As for the potency - it varies VERY much, not like Psilocybin mushies at all. It heavily depends on amounts of rain they were getting, and the place where you pick them, also the season - spring ones are the best if you can find them, as they're disappearing quickly. Autumn brings lots of those guys out!

I recommend to pick medium sized, not too small, not too big - small ones feel like poison and large ones are mostly bunk. Once you pick them, get to drying them immediately or they'll get spoiled and you'd have to throw them away.

I have been picking Amanitas for few years now and I've noticed a peculiar thing about where they like to grow - they always choose to be near trails, animal or human ones and once you see one by the road, look closer - it has to have connections to the whole family growing within 10-80 feet, usually under or near some trees. Those you pick from a big family are usually mild in effects. If you do find a single Amanita mushroom with no others nearby at all, it will be a really strong one! ;)

Red skin with little flesh under it can be smoked successfully and combines very well with cannabis - waters your mouth and gives some tingling. I also make pot brownies with grounded amanitas - delicious and relaxing treat for me and my friends! :)

If you decide to go for it, I'd recommend a trip sitter for the first time, as you might start throwing up while lying down and it might become a choking hazard. I also recommend to use Vodka (about 100g) as a "softening" agent with dry Amanitas - makes a big difference on the come-up and drop down.

The actual trip is very different than classic psychedelics. Forget about any external stimuli (music, videos, people, etc) - this one is fully introspective! It always starts with the feel of a drunk "helicopter" - similar to what you feel when really drunk and laying down - everything starts spinning. I tend to close my eyes and lay down as normal walking becomes impossible, I focus on those spinning spheres in my mind's eye and the trip starts to emerge. Predominantly red and gold colors, lots of spherical objects, the spinning eventually turns into tangible concepts, feelings, emotions and images. The body does not feel any load after you "jump through", in fact, I always completely loose the feel of my body on heavy doses.
Before the jump into psychedelia, be ready for sweating like never before - my whole apartment usually becomes smelling like Amanitas when I take a large dose. And the sheets would be soaked from sweating 8(

Amanita mushrooms is the only psychedelic that allowed me to enjoy OBE (out of the body experience) for hours - "the spirit of mine"? just hovers around, able to penetrate anything and enter any object, animate or inanimate. There are some creatures that appear to me as Gods made of Fire that allow me to do that. I also get a floods of the archetypal images of our human Universe. Once I was completely sure that my spirit was on Jupiter - it felt violent and crowdy in there.:sus:

Sometimes I get rushes of energy and want to do some stupid things while under the infuence of Amanitas - I feel omnipotent, indestructible and crazy, so I'd want to run around and shout something so others would understand :! , I think it doesnt happen on big doses, although the memory becomes pretty foggy afterwards. Throughout the trip it feels very clear, there's no fear of death, no fear of anything at all actually.%)

Next day after the trip be ready to feel like you've had a case of Vodka consumed last night - the hangover is excrutiating. A little beer, cholinergic supplements and cannabis always help me with that! :)

Also, as long as you decarboxylate your mushrooms, it's pretty much impossible to die due to OD of Muscimol - I took massive amounts, both fresh and dried. For fresh ones I'd recommend to use srping ones and only use medium sized caps - eat slowly and watch effects happenning. All the doses charts I've seen and recommendation for this mushroom is BS - You have to establish a connection with Amanita and "feel" what you need, no other way around, unless you extract Muscimol straght up (I'm going to work on that soon).

IMO Amanitas possess a very ancient spirit of "liberation through fire", so go for it if you feel like that's what you need right now! ;)

I was born in Siberia right next to taiga and it had taught me a lot about wild animals.

Amanitas have very special place in my heart, right next to Salvia 8)

You are an interesting person and I appreciate your well thought out posts too Volsam. Some posts by members here are priceless. So saying Amanitas are as special as Salvia is a pretty big endorsement from someone like you who seems to know. And Salvia has been a great ally to me for 19 years. Looks like I may have to squeeze these in before I pass on from this life to experience the specialness. :) Thanks for all that info.

Yep Solipsis, I forgot about the medicinal properties. So now mushrooms do 5 distinct states of mind and the 5th is healing. That some mushrooms an cause death upon eating them is very mysterious to me. Tripping on one hand, dead on the other. Mushrooms are a cool fungus. Someone at work the other day called them a vegetable and I quickly corrected them. They were talking about store bought mushrooms as food.

I've always been curious about Amanitas. Not sure I'll ever take the plunge but it sounds like a more manageable delirium. I'm a huge fan of ambien, is the experience at all comparable? I know muscimol and zolpidem both act on GABA-A so I always figured the more hallucinatory effects of aminitas might be related to those of ambien

Well benzos also act on GABA-A so it's surely more complicated than that. We also have muscarinic receptors which muscimol acts on. Not sure what else is going on with ambien.

But ambien is more selective no? Clearly something is up since even zopiclone seems unable to produce the type of experience that ambien can. Back to Amanitas, is there any subjective similarity to the ambien style delerium or is it something else entirely?

You are an interesting person and I appreciate your well thought out posts too Volsam. Some posts by members here are priceless. So saying Amanitas are as special as Salvia is a pretty big endorsement from someone like you who seems to know. And Salvia has been a great ally to me for 19 years. Looks like I may have to squeeze these in before I pass on from this life to experience the specialness. :) Thanks for all that info.

^^^I'm glad you think that way, thank you! ;)

As for how Amanita Muscaria compares to Ambien - I have taken a prescription amount of Ambien few times to fall asleep easier but I have not noticed any similarities between them, Ambien felt muddy and just puts me to sleep, when Amanita mushrooms feel very clear and may give a lot of energy and you won't be able to sleep on them for a while IME. As Xorkoth mentioned, there are muscarinic receptors involved with mushrooms plus I'm sure there is a lot of indirect agonism/antagonism going on when psychedelic effects kick in.

It was mentioned in the Hamilton's Pharmacopeia Amanita episode that the effects resembled Ambien. But I trust Volsam's advice and information more and as first hand. I have taken Ambien 3 times and because the hallucinations were so vivid on a standard dose (I saw two moons one night and I could focus on one and still see the other) that effect concerned me. Like what does this drug do to the brain. But even if Amanita's don't really resemble Ambien the mechanism of action is more understood and may even have natural sources to come close to it. So I am not as concerned anymore even though I don't use Ambien. I find it exciting that we are discovering Nature has a lot of synthetic drugs resembling the actions of natural ones.

Gaboxadol sounds interesting too. I have not seen much on here about that

If there are groups of people that use Amanita's as a medicine and healing aid then there has to be something to it. :)

If you think that Ambien is interesting and hallucinogenic, which it is indeed, you should try and get ahold of some Sonata. It is much more interesting and hallucinogenic than Ambien, but pharmacologically similar. The GABA, cholinergic and Muscarinic type drugs have never heald much interest in me because the effects they produce in me tend to feel very fake, delusional, and artificial. In the sertotonergic psychedelics the effects for some reason seem to be much more real, transcendental, and divine... if that makes sense.

In my case, I know that the drawing on my desk isnt really talking to me (sonata)... or that drinking an ashtray while thinking its a Dr. Pepper (accidental overdose of Benadryl) is not a worthwhile endeavor.

But the mystical healing and journeying done on DMT seems as real and out there as the trees in my back yard. Maybe Amanitas provide this on a different level? Volsam's description sounds interesting aside from the hangover. Though, I have seen very few coherent descriptions of the effect of Amanitas that it doesnt seem to produce similar effects across the board of folks.

The actual trip is very different than classic psychedelics. Forget about any external stimuli (music, videos, people, etc) - this one is fully introspective! It always starts with the feel of a drunk "helicopter" - similar to what you feel when really drunk and laying down - everything starts spinning. I tend to close my eyes and lay down as normal walking becomes impossible, I focus on those spinning spheres in my mind's eye and the trip starts to emerge. Predominantly red and gold colors, lots of spherical objects, the spinning eventually turns into tangible concepts, feelings, emotions and images. The body does not feel any load after you "jump through", in fact, I always completely loose the feel of my body on heavy doses.
Before the jump into psychedelia, be ready for sweating like never before - my whole apartment usually becomes smelling like Amanitas when I take a large dose. And the sheets would be soaked from sweating 8( Sometimes I get rushes of energy and want to do some stupid things while under the infuence of Amanitas - I feel omnipotent, indestructible and crazy, so I'd want to run around and shout something so others would understand :! , I think it doesnt happen on big doses, although the memory becomes pretty foggy afterwards. Throughout the trip it feels very clear, there's no fear of death, no fear of anything at all actually.%) Next day after the trip be ready to feel like you've had a case of Vodka consumed last night - the hangover is excrutiating. A little beer, cholinergic supplements and cannabis always help me with that! :)

Your description was great to read, Volsam! I think you're the only other person that I've spoken with that has reported effects like I experienced on my one heavy dose experience. I maintained a pretty clear headspace throughout the experience apart from microsecond blackouts, but the visuals were fairly strong, mostly large red, gold, and blue 2d and 3d geometric shapes if I remember correctly. I quite enjoyed the experience, but my friend had a manic messiah complex develop, and I spent the last 16 hours of the trip trying to gently persuade him that he didn't need to proclaim his godhood to the government that day. That was my one experience, and I sadly never repeated it. I had no side effects to speak of (no salivation, nausea, stimulation, sedation, delerium, nothing,) nor do I remember having a hangover. As pleasant as the experience was, it wasn't psychedelic in the sense that the classical 5-HT2a partial agonists are. There was absolutely no insight for me, it was just light and playful.

My preparation was simple. I harvested a couple hundred caps and stems from a Pinus ratiata (I think) grove in New Zealand. Then I thoroughly dried all of them in food dehydrators, ground them up, dried the grounds under low heat in the oven, then pulverized the grounds into a fine dust and let them sit in the sun for a few days (decarboxylation overkill.) I harvested so many so that when I titrated up to the dose I wanted, I would know that the whole batch would be consistent until the potency dropped off. I stored the powder in the freezer, then simmered the dose I wanted at I forget what temperature for an hour or two before straining and drinking it.

Delicious! Best tasting psychedelic ever - I'd use it as a soup base if I could. That is, I felt that way until after I came down. Now, I can't stand the smell of Amanitas--it makes me gag.

I've been mystified about why my experience was so clear-headed, visual, and pleasant compared to the weird sleepy-drunken-drooling-delerious experiences that I read about. Apart from the very high dose and the fact that they were harvested from Pinus ratiata in New Zealand, I have no idea. I was almost ready to doubt my memory completely if I hadn't read your similar experience.

Do people notice a difference between those harvested from beneath pine, and those from silver birch?

As for A.pantherina, I've never thought them a viable source of muscimol, however potent. Albeit I don't see them very often, they aren't very common here, uncommon to sort of rare, in the NW UK, but they contain (albeit AFAIK relatively low concentrations) a pair of excitatory amino acid type compounds that going from the pharmacology of them, extraordinarily potent potential excitotoxins, active in the femtomolar concentration range, stizolobic acid and stizolobinic acid, these being agonists of AMPA and possibly (not sure on this) kainate receptors. This has made me unwilling to experiment with A.pantherina.

Do people notice a difference between those harvested from beneath pine, and those from silver birch?

I think we would need a hard core enthusiast to answer that. Seems most of us have not even simply tried dry caps.

I keep mixing up Amanita Phalloides with Amanita Pantherina but they are different. I mean mixing them up in context, not finding and eating. :D The Amanita Phalloides is the poisonous one if I remember correctly.

Limpet, I appreciate your posts over the years. Lots of good important info. Just thought I would say that so you continue to be you and post your knowledge. :)

Then lots of people are going to think they suck ass sphincter, regardless of the species, be it A.muscaria, A.pantherina, any of the rest of the clade,.

And its obvious that you don't keep mixing up amatoxic species with those packing the isoxazoles, you only make that mistake once.

A.phalloides is lethal, yes, but be aware, it is NOT the only one. A.verna (extremely rare, looks much like A.virosa, primary difference is to strong KOH solution on the cap, one yellows, one does not, both will extirpate you efficiently and unpleasantly), A.ocreata, A.phalloides, A.virosa, there are quite a few in the same stirps, that contain amatoxins, there are also some amanitas containing kidney toxins, allenic nor-leucine is the culprit here, IIRC the stirps is Lepidella, and reportedly the orange grisette, an australian species is quite toxic also, one report has some poor cunt merely tasting that one ended up breaking their toe, in the hurry to leg it to the shitter. A.xanthocephala being the guilty party, and perhaps unsurprisingly, being in the stirps Amanita/formerly Amanitopsis.

The nephrotoxic species are, however, of a less grim nature than the orellani stirps of Cortinarius (essentially paraquat-lookalikes, causing delayed, severe kidney failure, potentially lethal, the Amanitas containing allenic norleucine are less toxic, but still rather dangerous. A.pseudoporphyria and A.smithiana are notable ones of this type.

Don't know if this is popular, but once dried, anyone else try adding a teaspoon or so of the dried powdered mushroom to meat dishes? it really makes a good bowl of grub into something to murder for. Entire kitchen smells like honey, when I do my chilli con carne, and I consider fly agaric an essential ingredient for any cooking with beef or lamb. Delish, in sub-psychotropic quantities as a flavouring.

Last edited:
Yeah, well I'd hazard a rough guess based on SAR of orthosteric GABAa agonists, that tricholomic acid would decarboxylate like ibotenic acid when heated, its not altogether uncommon for there to be a pairing of sorts, an excitatory amino-acid neurotoxin and a descarboxy product binding the GABA recognition site at GABAa as an agonist. Ibotenic acid, quisqualic acid does too for example, quisqualamine being a GABAa agonist for the GABA/thiomuscimol recognition site, although not the sort of thing I'd trust, what with where it has to come from, and the rather permanent nature of the damage quisqualate would inflict on a person, not without it being subjected to NMR to prove its purity.

Neat factoid about fly agaric-the mushroom, along with possibly the rest of its stirps within Amanita, hyperaccumulates massive quantities of vanadium, as a organic complex known as amavadine, I found that out when I was a little kid, never realized WHAT had happened, since at a few years of age, I hadn't thought to assay a mushroom for vanadium, but in trying to acid-base out the muscimol, I instead, found myself with a beautiful deep, deep vivid blue of the amavadinyl cation. Thought ';what the FUCK just happened here'

Just when I think I know a mushroom, it goes and oneups me. Tricksy buggers Amanitas are and no mistake=D

You cook with fly Amanita too then I take it? I reccomend it if not, although of course they must be prepped to decarboxylate the ibotenate content.