• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big & Dandy Adrenochrome Thread

morninggloryseed said:
Yes, but I am focusing on its psychoactive effects.

can you (or anybody else) still post a link here of it, because i have trouble finding that study (read about 30 google searches, still haven't found it). thanks in advance !!:)

I don't think you are going to find much on-line other than abstracts. Most of the journal articals I have looked you are going to need to go to a library to see. This stuff is in medical journals and psychology journals. You can buy memberships to these to see them on-line, but otherwise you will have to do some homework beyond your keyboard and seek out librarys with hard cover editions.

I do have access myself to a relatively large supply of expired (but unfortunately not too degraded, from good storage) adrenaline vials, as I suffer from a severe peanut allergy, which can result in anaphylactic shock (it is much cheaper to grab a couple vials and sterile needles for a buck or two, than purchase an Epipen from those money-peddling industrial bitches :p)

Before I would ever send this stuff into my body however, I would like to run a GCMS, as the products of oxidation could range from carbon dioxide, to adrenochrome, to many things in-between (I'd probably want to try isolate the adrenochrome also). However, if/when I do go through with this little experiment, I will definately post the results. From what I have read, my expectations are low, but who knows what might happen!

^^ leunkachong, that sounds lovely, a peanut allergy.:) i think we all will be grateful if you have posted the outcome of your experiment.

btw, i have found the thing that i was looking for, however, i was looking in the wrong place, my friend used the word adrenochroom instead of adrenochrome (we are dutch) so after a couple of dozen studies i made the (smart) decision to try out the dutch word, luckily, i found the study right away, read through it and did another google search on abram hoffer. very interesting studies he has made and erowid has his hypothesis summed up in a paragraph (if i only did a search on erowid *sigh*). this guy really is amazing.

taken from: http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/adrenochrome/adrenochrome_info1.shtml

Dr. Abram Hoffer, a world-renowned psychiatrist in Victoria, reports on the successful treatment of six patients with atrial fibrillation. One 76 year old physician who suffered from atrial fibrillation was completely cured after starting a vitamin supplementation program which included megadoses of niacin and folic acid. Other patients report complete disappearance of their irregular heart beat symptoms after supplementing with high doses of niacin, folic acid, and vitamin B-12. Dr. Hoffer believes that one of the main causes of atrial fibrillation is excessive stress. High levels of stress release large amounts of adrenalin which in turn is oxidized to adrenochrome. Adrenochrome is known to cause fibrillation and other cardiac dysfunctions. Adrenochrome is a natural free radical and is primarily produced in the heart tissue, but circulates in the blood throughout the body. It can cross the blood-brain barrier and excessive amounts of it are believed to be a main cause of schizophrenia. Antioxidants protect against the formation of excessive amounts of adrenochrome and schizophrenics have been successfully treated with large amounts of niacin and ascorbic acid. Penicillamine has also been successfully used in the treatment of schizophrenia. Dr. Hoffer points out that adrenochrome is not all bad. He believes that the leucocytes use adrenochrome to destroy abnormal cells like cancer cells and that we therefore need a certain amount of adrenochrome in order to control cancer. The fact that schizophrenics rarely develop cancer supports this hypothesis. Dr. Hoffer concludes that we need a certain amount of stress in order to produce enough adrenochrome to enable our leucocytes to kill bacteria and tumor cells. However, we also need an adequate supply of natural antioxidants such as vitamins C and E and beta-carotene in order to neutralize an excess of adrenochrome after its work is done.

I've been researching many psychodelic drugs in the past couple of months and I just came upon this site and found the most information I could on adrenochrome and it seems that no one want's to really try it due to the ignorance of this mystery drug. Since I just found out where to get it last week I think I shall try a little bit of it and help some of you guys out. If it's real I don't think that it will be as hardcore as it was in FALILV since he was fucked out of his mind of so many other drugs at the same time. It's to bad no one has any experience with this "drug", if you will, but since I've taken so many other psychodelic drugs I might as well see what the effects are and post another reply. I feel it will affect my mind and not be to much of a hallucinagen but I shall see. I'll post a reply as soon as I can.

Adrenochrome....doesn't worth it ?

Adrenochrome is described as an hallucinogen, psychotomimetic and a cholinesterase inhibitor.

There are several different adrenochrome(s) :

1) Adrenochrome monosemicarbazone (also called
carbazochrome CAS: 69-81-8 ) : doesn' t produce any hallucinations but a feeling of well beeing (see "legal highs")
2) Adrenochrome thiosemicarbazone
3) Adrenochrome oxime sesquihydrate
4) Adrenochrome (CAS: 54-06-8 ) : this is the "hallucinogenic" one

CAS is a registry number. Each and every chemical has his own CAS number.

To make things even more complicated, there seem to be several kind of Adrenochrome associated to the CAS: [56-06-8]

1) D,L-Adrenochrome freebase (CAS: 56-06-8 )

Sometime D,L-Adrenochrome is just marketed as "Adrenochrome": if the price is around 90-120 $USD for 250 mg this means it is the
D,L-Adrenochrome. I found 8 or 10 online chemical suppliers selling this one in this price range.

For information : D,L means "racemic" : this means that D,L-Adrenochrome is an equal mixture of the two enantiomers : D-Adrenochrome and
L-Adrenochrome (also called (-)-Adrenochrome and (+)-Adrenochrome respectively). Two enantiomers of a same substance can have (very)different effects (one can be hallucinogenic while the other can be either hallucinogenic or inactive or even toxic). D-Adrenochrome and L-Adrenochrome and D,L-Adrenochrome have the same CAS number. The two enantiomers are difficultly separated so the D-form and L-form should be much more expensive than the D,L-form.

2) Now it' s getting more complicated : I recently found one more product:

Adrenochrome CAS: [56-06-8] , the price is 50g/220 euros (270 $USD)
I only found one chemical supplier selling this one (online).

According to the huge price difference, this can't be exactly the same substance. Because the CAS number is the same, I first though it was one of the two enantiomers (and probably the active one). But what seems strange to me is that if it would be an enantiomer, it should be much more expensive (as I' ve explained d,l-form should be cheapper than d-form or
l-form ). Only one thing for sure : it can 't be D,L-Adrenochrome (the price variation is too big).

Important notice: store adrenochrome at -20 °C (in freezer) in air-tight container (in order to keep it away from light, air oxidation and dampness).

Don' t keep it for too long, even in freezer it will end decomposing into melanin, though.

My experiences with adrenochrome:

Adrenochrome derivatives act as systemic hemostatics preventing capillary
bleeding during injury...I don't know if this can be bad in high dose (maybe high dosages or regular use could cause circulatory troubles such as blood clots in veins)

1) I held 100 mg of D,L-Adrenochrome under my tongue for 1 minute and then swallowed it. Fast onset because of the sublingual absorption (about 5 minutes)
2) I snorted 50 mg of D,L-Adrenochrome. Fast onset (a few seconds).
The burning feeling is similar to pepper.
3) I smoked 25 mg of D,L-Adrenochrome (vaporization in a crack pipe). Onset nearly instantaneous.

All trials gave me slight effects : moderate effects, no hallucination at all, feeling of warm through my body, slight change in my visual perception, a strange feeling in my head/hands (maybe caused by the hemostatic effect), sedation and slight euphoria (definite euphoria+stimulation when smoked, but short lived), some myosis (=little pupils). Duration: primary effects would last for about 1 hour, but total duration would be a few hours, not very long (honestly, I didn' t really check my watch). Useless to say I was disappointed.

Maybe higher dosages would give some hallucinogenic effect but I doubt it very much (the D,L-form doesn't seem to be much hallucinogenic)
Now, I may want to try :
-snorting 100 mg
-smoking (vaporizing) 100 mg
-holding 250 mg under my tongue and then swallowing it
Don' t worry I' ll tell you about the results if I try, wich I doubt because 1g is 360 $USD...and I don't have this money. (honestly, I feel like it would be a waste of money because this substance doesn' t seem to be hallucinogenic)

Much more interesting (and cheapper) would be to TRY the other Adrenochrome orally (the one sold at 220 euro for 50g). This one could possibly be the right one (hallucinogen ?). Hope so.

If not, then adrenochrome might be no more than a myth boosted by H.S. Thompson's Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Of course, I'm going to check this out !

For more info :
www.erowid.org (english site)
http://www.drogenwiki.de/wiki.cgi?Adrenochrom (german site wich states that the dose is 5-50mg subcutaneously and possibly intravenously)

Peace.

Last edited:
wow. a lot of source. ur in trouble. ;)

i'm prob gonna leave this one for now. altho one unnamed company offers
50.00g (!!!!) for 220 EUR.

that seems a hell of a lot.

nice to read your experiments tho dude.

X

Last edited:
Re: Adrenochrome....doesn't worth it ?

genaro said:
My experiences with adrenochrome:Both trials gave me slight effects : no hallucination at all, feeling of warm through my body, slight change in my visual perception, a strange feeling in my head/hands (maybe caused by the hemostatic effect), sedation and slight euphoria, myosis (=little pupils). Useless to say I was disappointed.

Hoffer found adrenochrome very psychoactive at much lower dosages by IV and IM injection. I am not recommending you do this, but it appears this is the best way of getting the drug into the body. It is probably deactivated orally, but may work if taken with an MAOI. That's uncharted waters there.

LOL

double dosing , fancy ? YES , but adrenochrome is so expensive that I had to go right to the point (the small amount I have doesn' t allow me to try it progressively, exploring many different dosages...). It is dangerously fancy so don' t do that at home kids !

Thank you for reminding us about the risk of double-dosing (especially with mgs), theghostofbillhicks :)

Last edited:
Adrenochrome synthesis...

2g (-)-Adrenaline (also known as D-Adrenaline) was suspended in water (70 mL) and dilute hydrochloric acid (HCl) was added dropwise with shaking, until a clear solution was obtained.
8g Silver(I)oxide (Ag2O) was added, the mixture shaken vigorously for 5 minutes and then filtered.
The aqueous solution of adrenochrome this obtained
was stable for about 12 hr at 0C (better keep it at -20 °C)

Adrenochrome is a very unstable substance: it is completely destroyed in 4 min. by 1% hydrochloric acid, and in 40 sec. by 1% ammonia. At pH 7.3 and 37C the red colour disappears in 35 min., and even under the optimium conditions for keeping
the solution, at pH 4.0 and 0C (better at -20 °C) , marked decompostion and melanin formation could be observed in 4-5 hours. In the dry crystalline condition adrenochrome could be
kept for several weeks, but on standing in a vacuum desiccator it decomposed to give a brown amorphous product. The crystalline substance appears to be a
hydrate. The brilliant red crystals decompose on heating at abot 115-120C.
Adrenochrome is freely soluble in water and crystallizes from water only on evaporation practically to dryness. It is also readily soluble in methyl alcohol (= methanol).
It can be removed quantitatively from the aqueous solution by adsorption on charcoal, and can be eluted again from the charcoal with methyl alcohol.

Easy, isn't it ? But, according to this text, it seems that homemade adrenochrome will decompose quickly, too bad.

So I feel like I' m soon going through some chemistry.
What I would try :

1) rhodium' s recipe : oxidation of synthetic D-Adrenaline by Ag2O
2) oxidation of synthetic D,L-Adrenaline with Ag2O
3) oxidation of synthetic L-Adrenaline with Ag2O (I' m not a chemist so I have no idea of what I could end up with, using
L-Adrenaline)
4) simple oxidation of synthetic D,L-Adreanline by air oxygen
5) oxidation of "organic" adrenaline by Ag2O
6) oxidation of "organic" adrenaline by air oxygen

What would be a suitable "organic" adrenaline natural source ?
I would extract it from some fresh medullo-surrenal glands, I guess.
The medullosurrenal is the center part of a surrenal gland.
Where do you find it ?
On a kidney.
The glands are on the top of each kidney.
For locating precisely the gland on the kidney, just check any anatomy manual (or search the web).
Where do you find a fresh kidney ?
Don' t ask...just remember maria's destiny.
or ask for a fresh pig's kidney at a pork butcher's
Just think about the butcher's face when you ask for a fresh pork's medullo surrenal gland.

Well, have fun !

Last edited:
I would just like to state that fear & loathing certainly made adrenochrome and also ether look extremely inviting. I remember wanting both when I first saw the film. I would hope adrenochrome was more worth-while that Ether!!

Well obviously trhe adrenochrome scene in F&L is dramatized, but you have to take into account that Thompson had just gone back to the hotel with only little rest and still was on a lot of different drugs.
So that cocktail might have triggered a whole different experience then the 'clean' administrations described above.

Yah, by that poing in the book, Thompson must have meen crashing from so many things, plus the lack of sleep; pretty much anything could have pushed him over the edge.

Huxley had a comment on adrenochrome in "The Doors of Perception"

Young English psychiatrist, at present working in Canada, was struck by the close similarity, in chemical composition, between mescalin and adrenalin. Further research revealed that lysergic acid, an extremely potent hallucinogen derived from ergot, has a structural biochemical relationship to the others. Then came the discovery that adrenochrome, which is a product of the decomposition of adrenalin, can produce many of the symptoms observed in mescalin intoxication. But adrenochrome probably occurs spontaneously in the human body. In other words, each one of us may be capable of manufacturing a chemical, minute doses of which are known to cause Profound changes in consciousness.

adrenochrome

i need to know more, more, MORE....

is it real? or urban myth? does it come from live humans? or animals? is it a psychadelic?

adrenochrome was first discovered during world war one. some of the supplies of adrenaline had oxidized. soldiers were given it anyway (thye army didnt know it was oxidized till later) for the various reason adrenaline is given. the soldiers who recived this batch began hallucinating and having other bizzare symptoms. the docs didnt know it had oxidized but soon determined so after investigation. it is now used to close wounds or clot blood or somthing along those lines. it is also being used to help study schizophrenia

hunter thompson, who worte about it in F&LLV said in an interview that he had never actually taken it. the few reports of those who have taken it stated that it brings on an instant schizophrenia. so basically it has no recreational value.

Last edited: