View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big and Dandy DMT Thread - The Fourth Dimension

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I've been interested in DMT for a long time now, and I'm almost 99% sure the right acacia is growing in my backyard except for one thing... The bark!? The leaves/flowers look exactly right, but the bark is totally different to all the pics I've seen... Is it possible to post pics of my tree so someone can help me out?

This drug has excited me so much more than anything else. I've never tried mushrooms or acid, but I'm a regular weed smoker. I've read in lots of places that acid and mushrooms are like a stepping stone and people without hallucinogenic experience should steer clear of DMT.. Any advice on that?

Thanks alot

scientist

mushrooms and acid are more tradtional psychedelics to start out with but if DMT is the first one you run into i wouldnt pass it up.
Prior experience with psychedelics may be able to help you better integrate the DMT experience though.

scientist said:
Hey guys, I've been interested in DMT for a long time now, and I'm almost 99% sure the right acacia is growing in my backyard except for one thing... The bark!? The leaves/flowers look exactly right, but the bark is totally different to all the pics I've seen... Is it possible to post pics of my tree so someone can help me out?

This drug has excited me so much more than anything else. I've never tried mushrooms or acid, but I'm a regular weed smoker. I've read in lots of places that acid and mushrooms are like a stepping stone and people without hallucinogenic experience should steer clear of DMT.. Any advice on that?

Thanks alot

scientist

Well, if the barks the wrong colour, you have to be less then 99% sure. You need to know more of the small aspects to identify acacias, such as leaf growth, distribution, flowering cycle...blah. If your in Aussie land, head into the woods after a storm and pick up Acacia Obtusifolia sticks. Boil and serve.... I reccommend you get a healthy undersyanding of what and why these plants look like they do before trying to reip some alkaloids from it.

BTW- I doubt many here would be able to identify the actual tree.

Well thanks for you help swilow, I'll keep an eye out for some obtusifolia. Quite a few parks n such near my area!

What's everyone elses thoughts on having mushies and / or acid first?

I'd be fine trying mushies, but I rather not try acid AT ALL... Just a personal thing of mine.

Get pictures of the bark, the leaf structure, flowers, fruit/seeds, etc. Then find a dichotomous key to help you differentiate it from related species. You can probably find one of these at your local library, and there will definitely be one somewhere in a university library. You might be able to find one on the web somewhere.

I think mushrooms have a tendency to turn on people more than almost any other hallucinogen, aside from the ones that are just total crap and make you feel bad physically.

Trying something milder first wouldn't be a bad idea to me. Starting very low with your DMT doses would probably be fine though. I have no idea why you have a prob with acid, but that would be one of the ones I'd recommend to start out, if you want to use a full-fledged psychedelic.

A nice mild one to let you get your feet wet without jumping all the way in would be 2c-b. This is what I recommend most of the time to first timers or inexperienced folks. Its nothing like DMT, though... but might help give you a feel for the type of effects that all these drugs cause.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why I wouldn't try acid to be honest, I've never seen anyone on it, or have a bad experience with it... But the fact it could last up to 12 hours definatly puts me off, I guess it just intimidates me alot more than other things for some reason. I like to take things slowly, and a tab of acid lasting 6-8 hours plus just isn't appealing for a first time, especially if I dont happen to like it. Whereas with DMT the maximum it could last is about an hour. And if I dont like DMT either, I can remind myself "Okay only half an hour to go." or whatever. Thanks for your well informed post, I shall head to the library!!! (soon) :p

2c-b definatly sounds interesting, but no-one I know has heard of it, and I won't be asking for sources here as its not allowed. I guess I'll have to broaden my search.

Thanks again for a great post. Very helpful.

scientist

Smoked DMT lasts something much closer to like 15min or so, with most of the real trip being in the first 5min or so, IME. The rest is just the effects sort of fading out. You can feel something for longer than that, but its just sort of background noise compared to the first few min. Its strong enough that it would be pretty hard to talk yourself down/wait it out though given the character of the drug. But if you work your way up with lower doses I'm sure you will be fine.

I wouldn't really recommend it as a first psychedelic honestly, but some do, and I can see it working out well. I would just be afraid of getting a larger dose than you'd like without having really had any experience with completely parting with reality and scaring the shit out of yourself.

The length of an LSD trip I could see being an issue. I was a bit worried about that (LSD was the first drug I took) myself when I tried it without having any similar experience to compare it to. It worked out well, but if it hadn't, yeah, thats a long ride.

Were you planning to smoke the DMT? Or take it orally in some sort of ayahuasca type concoction? Make sure you read up on all the MAOI safety stuff if you go that route, and be aware of how long it lasts, etc... not sure if that would be the best way to start out; I think that might be a bit much.

Keep us posted, I'm really curious what you think of it if it is the first psychedelic you take, or one of the first few experiences with psychedelics in general for you. Post up some links if you go out and take macro shots of the leaves, flowers, etc of your acacia plant.

Dimethyltryptamine Phenomena

Hello Everyone, This is a thread dedicated to the bizzarre and unbelievable experience produced by dmt. over the past 6 months i have been experimenting heavily with nn-D, with much exploration coaching regarding the power of will and intent in the dmt experience. recently i have entered into the proclaimed "Hyperspace" time after time when dosing, and couldnt help but drown my interest in the world of dmt. it has been a long and bumpy ride, trying to pinpoint the roll of dimethyltryptamine in our reality. Ideas similar to a Spirit world provided by the dmt state of consciousness were completely believable and utmost intrigueing to me throughout this search. I came across an article written by James L. Kent, and his opinion on the phenomena. he seems to have put together a very valid explaination for the dmt experience. in a nutshell, Kent believes there is no seperate dimension offered by dmt, but a beautiful psychedelic given to us by the dreaming mechanisms of our own brain. it was very hard for me to take in the fact that there is no fantastical conclusion to the dmt journey, but Kent leaves room for ponder. He believes that although there may not be a reality changing phenomena in the closed-eye entity encounter experience usually provided by dmt, there is an incredibly interesting association with dmt and the feeling of oneness with life. there is something in being able to view the plant-communication and language of life while on dmt that is 100% investigateable. i have only created this thread (as a first-time poster as well) to share my dmt journey with others and to provide a place where further interpretations of the dmt universe can be discussed.
that is all, thank you
dorke

I definatly plan on smoking it, I've been reading non-stop about DMT for the last 6 months or so, so I can fully understand what I'll be undertaking. I'll most likely be starting with a dosage of less than 10mg, just to see what kind of affect it has on me, if any.. Then I'll up it by 1-2mg and see how things go.. I'll most likely be in a semi-dark room with a close mate, maybe two. Some self-contemplation beforehand to relax myself and remind me of the power this drug has.. I'm quite confident things will turn out well if I bide my time and take it slow.

I don't have access to a digicam at the moment, but I'll post the links when I do.

I'll be sure to keep you all updated including a full trip report in the "Trip Report" section.

scientist

I bet they will. You seem to know where to start and everything. Doing a lot of research on your own like that is good, not enough people do and get themselves into trouble. Taking time to learn as much as you can about the drug and the experience will help to make you feel more confident and safe with the whole situation, and mindset is a HUGE variable with massive impact on the experience you will have. Its incredibly important.

You're on the right track, things will work out great. Unless you just feel more comfortable inside though, I would really recommend being out in nature. I don't know anyone that would rather use DMT inside, it almost seems wrong.. haha. hard to explain.

peace

Thanks for all your advice fizzacyst, just for interests sake could you tell about some of your experiences or direct me to a link with your experience? I try to read as many as I can, I've been told not to as it could affect MY trip, but surely after reading hundreds of them they won't all meld into one trip lol.

It would be much appreciated.

scientist

Given the role played by serotonin in the regulation of the sleep/wake cycle, we investigated the effects of daytime ayahuasca consumption in sleep parameters. MEASUREMENTS AND RESULTS: Subjective sleep quality, polysomnography (PSG), and spectral analysis were assessed in a group of 22 healthy male volunteers after the administration of a placebo, an ayahuasca dose equivalent to 1 mg DMT kg(-1) body weight, and 20 mg d-amphetamine, a proaminergic drug, as a positive control. Results show that ayahuasca did not induce any subjectively perceived deterioration of sleep quality or PSG-measured disruptions of sleep initiation or maintenance, in contrast with d-amphetamine, which delayed sleep initiation, disrupted sleep maintenance, induced a predominance of 'light' vs 'deep' sleep and significantly impaired subjective sleep quality. PSG analysis also showed that similarly to d-amphetamine, ayahuasca inhibits rapid eye movement (REM) sleep, decreasing its duration, both in absolute values and as a percentage of total sleep time, and shows a trend increase in its onset latency. Spectral analysis showed that d-amphetamine and ayahuasca increased power in the high frequency range, mainly during stage 2. Remarkably, whereas slow-wave sleep (SWS) power in the first night cycle, an indicator of sleep pressure, was decreased by d-amphetamine, ayahuasca enhanced power in this frequency band. CONCLUSIONS: Results show that daytime serotonergic psychedelic drug administration leads to measurable changes in PSG and sleep power spectrum and suggest an interaction between these drugs and brain circuits modulating REM and SWS.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18030450

I'm not certain where I saw it/who said it, but someone recommended dosing DMT before you go to sleep.

It looks like DMT (orally, at least) shortens REM but does not degrade the quality of sleep. Efficiency, yes? I heard that (another endogenous substance) GHB does similar things to sleep.

Edit: Who here would be kind enough to tell me the boiling point of freebase n,n DMT?

Last edited:
REM sleep is now known to be way less important then previously thought....dolphins only have something like an hour of REM sleep, but then again they can 'sleep' a brain hemisphere at will.

To Samadhi and Delsyd and everyone else who gave some advice... Thank you. I got drunk last night and finally broke past all my fears (my goo had since dried up) and smoked hard. I don't remember too much, but I do remember alien voices telling me I needed a password for a relationship with another person. It was trippy. Nonetheless, I woke up this morning and literally asked right then if my roommates would mind if I smoked. I thought I'd smoked all my DMT (there was a lot, damn), but there was so much resin in the pipe I just went for it. After two hits, I felt like I could keep going and break through, but I decided to save it. I saw... the beauty in the world. <3

I'm going to find some incredible headspace (this weekend, MDMA maybe, maybe Adderall / amphetamines, something like that), some good music (Boards of Canada anyone), and break through.

Anyway, just recently I decided to use what I've learned (extraction, recrystalization, etc.) and go forth and buy some better supplies for this extraction. I went to the hardware store, got a box fan, pyrex baking dish, a quart cooking pot, 100% lye :)) @ whoever told me to get 100% and stop using drano crystals), and found myself in front of... the ACE solvents.

To quote from earlier in our big and dandy discussion:

StagnantReaction said:
You should try Odorless Mineral Spirits. It's a cleaned up version of naphtha. If you use artist grade (brand name Gamsol), you'll get purity (evap test worked, their MSDS is 100% ). It evaporates 3x slower (better if you work around it), though its strength is slightly slightly lower than naphtha in pulling. But I've seen clear/white crystals come out of it when used as a NP! :D

I like to recommend it particularly because it doesn't have aromatic compounds mixed in, and it doesn't evaporate nearly as much to mess up your lungs (let's face it, people don't buy protective respirators..) Also, the last naphtha I saw evap tested left a gummy residue :p coughcoughacevmpcough

EDIT this was a confusion of heptane and hexane.

This extraction cycle, then, I'll use pure lye, pure VM&P, evaporate (freezing has yet to work for me ever), then recrystallize with heptane Then hopefully have less yellow of crystals and learn about that relationship and that password.

Last edited:
i'd really like someones input on what i posted, i know the subject is fascinating to all of us.

Where is the article you are referring to?
I'm not sure I understand what you are saying.

Dorkeone said:
i'd really like someones input on what i posted, i know the subject is fascinating to all of us.

I'll bite. :)

Wasn't DMT proposed as the mechanism of inducing the visual aspects of dreaming?

Wikipedia cites: Callaway J (1988). "A proposed mechanism for the visions of dream sleep". Med Hypotheses 26 (2): 119-24. PMID 3412201.

What I think is interesting is that the paper by Babanjo, et. all notes that DMT does not induce any perceived decrease in sleep quality, it's clear that REM's onset is lengthened and its duration shortened.

And also:

Remarkably, whereas slow-wave sleep (SWS) power in the first night cycle, an indicator of sleep pressure, was decreased by d-amphetamine, ayahuasca enhanced power in this frequency band.

Here's my conjecture: While the body downregulates for d-amphetamine administration, because DMT is actually specifically involved in sleep, daily administration of DMT will continue to disturb regular sleep patterns.

damn guys 8) I just did 3 "sub breakthrough" doses of this DMT I got today ;) and.. well... I love you <3 and thank you ;) the idea of people scattered among this giant rock, all reaching inside... so fucking deep, to experience.. the unexplainable...... ..........and then try to explain it!! 8o

thank you so much and have a wonderful weekend <3

How up to date is the actual testing for DMT being endogenous in humans? I ask because I have read that the processes by which DMT is extracted from either urine or cerebral fluid could create DMT and other apparently endogenous tryptamines....

swilow said:
How up to date is the actual testing for DMT being endogenous in humans? I ask because I have read that the processes by which DMT is extracted from either urine or cerebral fluid could create DMT and other apparently endogenous tryptamines....

PMID 15780487

Endogenous psychoactive tryptamines reconsidered: an anxiolytic role for dimethyltryptamine. (2005)

The presence of the potent hallucinogenic psychoactive chemical N,N-dimethyltryptamine (DMT) in the human body has puzzled scientists for decades. Endogenous DMT was investigated in the 1960s and 1970s and it was proposed that DMT was involved in psychosis and schizophrenia. This hypothesis developed from comparisons of the blood and urine of schizophrenic and control subjects. However, much of this research proved inconclusive and conventional thinking has since held that trace levels of DMT, and other endogenous psychoactive tryptamines, are insignificant metabolic byproducts. The recent discovery of a G-protein-coupled, human trace amine receptor has triggered a reappraisal of the role of compounds present in limited concentrations in biological systems. Interestingly enough, DMT and other psychoactive tryptamine hallucinogens elicit a robust response at the trace amine receptor. While it is currently accepted that serotonin 5-HT(2A) receptors play a pivotal role in the activity of hallucinogenic/psychedelic compounds, we propose that the effects induced by exogenous DMT administration, especially at low doses, are due in part to activity at the trace amine receptor. Furthermore, we suggest that endogenous DMT interacts with the TA receptor to produce a calm and relaxed mental state, which may suppress, rather than promote, symptoms of psychosis. This hypothesis may help explain the inconsistency in the early analysis of endogenous DMT in humans. Finally, we propose that amphetamine action at the TA receptor may contribute to the calming effects of amphetamine and related drugs, especially at low doses.

So these two hypothesize it's endogenous, at low doses, as a sort of anxiolytic. And this is 2005. Emphasis mine.

PMID 16095048

Potentially hallucinogenic 5-hydroxytryptamine receptor ligands bufotenine and dimethyltryptamine in blood and tissues. (2005)

Bufotenine and N,N-dimethyltryptamine (DMT) are hallucinogenic dimethylated indolethylamines (DMIAs) formed from serotonin and tryptamine by the enzyme indolethylamine N-methyltransferase (INMT) ubiquitously present in non-neural tissues. In mammals, endogenous bufotenine and DMT have been identified only in human urine. The DMIAs bind effectively to 5HT receptors and their administration causes a variety of autonomic effects, which may reflect their actual physiological function. Endogenous levels of bufotenine and DMT in blood and a number of animal and human tissues were determined using highly sensitive and specific quantitative mass spectrometric techniques. A new finding was the detection of large amounts of bufotenine in stools, which may be an indication of its role in intestinal function. It is suggested that fecal and urinary bufotenine originate from epithelial cells of the intestine and the kidney, respectively, although the possibility of their synthesis by intestinal bacteria cannot be excluded. Only small amounts of the DMIAs were found in somatic or neural tissues and none in blood. This can be explained by rapid catabolism of the DMIAs by mitochondrial monoamino-oxidase or by the fact that the dimethylated products of serotonin and tryptamine are not formed in significant amounts in most mammalian tissues despite the widespread presence of INMT in tissues.

And again, DMT is present in urine, but not in blood nor tissue because of MAO and the relatively minute amount of serotonin and tryptamine in most of our non-neural tissues. Emphasis mine. :]

Status
Not open for further replies.