• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

The afterlife...

Thank you for explaining. I have friends who are Hindu, so I may ask them about this. I did ask the one friend about reincarnation and she said how nobody knows how many previous lives they have had, and that we are not supposed to.

Do you mean the Advaita Vedanta?

You're welcome!

Yes, Advaita Vedanta. Please keep in mind that I'm not religious and I'm not an aderent of Vedanta, it was just the most appropriate platform from which to launch from in my explorations.

If you ask Hinduism about this, they won't take you very far. In Hinduism, the three primary Godly forces are Brahma, Shiva and Vishua. They all arise from the unknowable Om. However, Vedanta claims that the Om is knowable in the sense that it is already shining through you, as you. You are not bound by karma as Hinduism states, but perhaps more so by your individuation. Also, Hinduism isn't concerned about knowing the ground reality of origination. Everyone has a pet God they worship and give offerings to. It's still all very external.

This is hard to explain because the language gets into dualistic territory.

That's easy - there isn't one. There just isn't. People need to stop being so silly. You're dead: you cease to exist. Just like the state you were in before you were conceived and didn't exist then either,

Can you prove there isn't one?

Yes. Because you weren't anywhere before you were born.
Also, you can't prove a negative. It's your job to prove there IS. Which you can't because there is literally zero evidence, logic or reason why there would be. Like there's nothing to even suggest there might be.

Well i suppose since energy can never be created or destroyed but only transfered, so it must go somewhere, but then again we are pretty low powered devices in the scheme of themes. I suppose we'll end up in a black hole ultimately...

Could you guys quit derailing this thread with weird nonsense about drow elves and level 29 video game drawings, please? This is a serious discussion forum. I've moved the posts to a new thread in a different forum because of lulz. Please keep posting in that vein in the new thread, which you both should have received a PM about.

Yes. Because you weren't anywhere before you were born.
Also, you can't prove a negative. It's your job to prove there IS. Which you can't because there is literally zero evidence, logic or reason why there would be. Like there's nothing to even suggest there might be.

How would you know the difference between not existing and forgetting a pre-born existence?

Listen, you get thrust kicking and screaming into a world of shit that you have to make the best of until you die. That's it...

Fantasising about other possibilities is nothing more than a coping mechanism that may enable you to wade through the shit a little easier.

This is where religion came from...

Last edited:
Anyone making claims about the nature of consciousness and existence with absolute certainty needs to realize that there is no way you can ever be certain about anything when it comes to this topic. To believe otherwise is hubris.

Also, you can't prove a negative.

This is a real bugbear of mine. If we construe "a negative" broadly as any statement of the form 'it is not the case that p', then it is quite straightforward to "prove a negative". 'It is not the case that there are less than seven continents on planet earth' follows immediately from 'there are seven continents on planet earth'. To interpret you a little more charitably, we could construe negative statements to pertain to existence, in which case they take the form 'there does not exist an x such that x is an F'. Again, proving a negative in this narrower sense is quite straightforward. From 'for any x, if x is a circle then x is not a square', it follows that 'there does not exist an x such that x is both a circle and a square'.

This is a real bugbear of mine. If we construe "a negative" broadly as any statement of the form 'it is not the case that p', then it is quite straightforward to "prove a negative". 'It is not the case that there are less than seven continents on planet earth' follows immediately from 'there are seven continents on planet earth'. To interpret you a little more charitably, we could construe negative statements to pertain to existence, in which case they take the form 'there does not exist an x such that x is an F'. Again, proving a negative in this narrower sense is quite straightforward. From 'for any x, if x is a circle then x is not a square', it follows that 'there does not exist an x such that x is both a circle and a square'.

I understand what you mean to the extent that you cannot prove a negative.

No one even has the right to speak on pre-existence unless they have been there and then its a club of knowing. Any psychedelic can reach transpersonal experinces of divinity and truth even meditation can but some people are so cut off and ego driven that even psychedelics will be empty for them.

5-meo dmt or 1000 ug acid will give download information into your brain that will take years to unravel.

#5 They had a near death experience that informed them of other possibilities.
True. I know people who have had out of body experiences, and spiritual experiences while not on drugs and they are not mentally ill and it changed their perspective.

I also know people who were atheist before they used DMT, Ayahuasca, mushrooms, or high doses of LSD.

Fantasising about other possibilities is nothing more than a coping mechanism that may enable you to wade through the shit a little easier.

So what everyone else experiences and feels is just a fantasy, but what you believe is real? Sounds like a lot of certitude going on there to me.

Billions of people... just coping and nothing else. There is literally no other layer to their experience, it's just a coping mechanism.

Do you know how ignorant you sound?

There wasn't a pre-born existence. You just didn't exist.

You can't know that for sure and if you tell yourself otherwise you're delusional. There's no functional difference between something having never happened and you simply forgetting it happened. A lot of faiths believe in the veil of forgetting, which serves many functions. Some people who have had NDEs have had momentary glimpses beyond this veil, whether "real" or not.

I don't live in a world of certainty like you do. I have some beliefs but they are changeable.

Your world must be very comfortable and secure.