• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

The 2016/2017 NFL thread v.... Brady's Revenge

^ That made me laugh, kinda.

And the Browns are basically in the same boat except they need to stick with their new head coach, add a wide receiver (assuming Josh Gordon doesn't come back), replace the entire offensive line save for Joe Thomas, figure out the RB situation, find a stud QB sometime after they figure out the offensive line first, undo basically every draft pick they've had since 1999 with the exception of Joe Thomas, completely replace their secondary, and stop charging fans for tickets until the product is worth the price of admission.

2009 was the last Eagles draft that even could be considered "decent" in hindsight

and I'm not trying to be the "shoulda drafted x instead of y" dude because it's annoying and obvious to point out things in hindsight but my god, draft ANYONE. SOMEONE who deserves to be in the league

fuck

Jordan Hicks, Lane Johnson, Benny Logan, Zach Ertz

The only four players (in order of talent) out of the 3 previous drafts I could see in the NFL

sweet dude

ok, I'm a bit down on Jordan Matthews but at the same time, fuck Jordan Matthews

And yes, I spent a good deal of words describing how much I liked Carson Wentz previously in this thread. But I don't know if I really like him THAT MUCH, or if it was just exciting to watch any rookie start at QB. To be completely objective, Carson Wentz had a very average year as a QB. Probably has something to do with the players around him more than the opposite so I'll give him a pass for now

Last edited:
I feel ya. And I'm the same way. People wanna talk about "we coulda had Adrian Peterson" that's true, but it would have cost us Joe Thomas. If the Eagles are anything like the Browns... the biggest problem isn't who they COULD have had, but the fact that they just sucked at evaluating talent.

Fuck it still pisses me off thinking about what might have been. The draft decision that killed the Birds was trading the rights to the 22nd pick in 2014 (and passing on Johnny Football in the process). He would have possessed the perfect skill set for Chip Kelly's uptempo dual spread option attack offense©.

Being completely objective, Wentz's season was way above average. Dude was a rookie QB starting day one after no preseason. Rookie head coach who had never even called plays, no weapons, linemen in and out throughout the year. Threw less interceptions then Rivers, Manning, Brees, Flacco, Palmer, Newton. More yards then Tom Brady and Dak. Most importantly, he handled himself like a veteran. Stood tall in the pocket and let his dick hang from day one. If you were starting a team today and had to pick any QB with two or less seasons in the league, who would you pick over Wentz?

Kind of odd criteria but fair enough

Marcus Mariota
Jameis Winston
Dak Prescott

and let me get this straight, you're saying that the Eagles NOT drafting Johnny Manziel is what killed them?

Cant even imagine how quickly a Johnny Football/Chip Kelly qb/coach relationship would go up in flames

Two complete opposite personalities. Play style might have fit on paper, but Johnny was never going to be a franchise QB in the NFL. He's just too openly immature and not freakishly talented enough to get away with it

Yeh those were the three I considered as well.

Mariota - injury prone and plays in a terrible division. Will not hold up physically.

Winston - turning into a game manager. I actually feel like he's somewhat a winner.

Dak - QB'ing the most talented, well-rounded offense in the league.

We'll see what happens.

I can promise you, being in Cleveland isn't what drove Johnny Football over the edge. He was a loose canon regardless of where he ended up. In all honesty, being in Cleveland probably saved him to a degree because there's a lot less of a chance for him to get completely fucked up as he would have in some of the bigger metropolitan areas like Philly, NYC, LA, etc. Manziel would have been a disaster no matter where he ended up, but unfortunately for him, he ended up in a city that has a tendency to ruin good NCAA QB careers.

I hope for his sake, he gets his shit together, but at this point in his life... he can't handle the fame and fortune that comes with being an NFL quarterback, let alone anywhere near a top tier QB.

I was kidding about Manziel. Chip Kelly's an arrogant ass and Manziel is a fiend (my boy was actually in rehab with him at Caron). At least they got Marcus Smith II.

I actually heard Sal Palentonio on the radio today saying how the Eagles underachieved this season. What the fuck expectations did these people have? Honestly, I think after the 3-0 start a bunch of people got their dicks hard and prognosticated all this baloney and now that they've been proven wrong they are shitting on the team.

How I feel about Carson wentz

Ok, I cant argue against Embiid (because he IS that good), nor Simmons (because he hasnt played yet, but more than likely, IS that good)

but Im starting to wonder if people were watching the same Eagle's games as I was this year.

Carson Wentz has a great arm. He is a tough player. He is capable of understanding defenses and how to put his team in the best position to win. He definitely is the type of player who leaves everything out on the field, which is great.

But...BUT... the one thing I've noticed about this guy.

He's got pretty slow footwork. And I get it, he's a big guy, but still... And not just footwork in the pocket, im talking he just always seems like he is moving in slow motion. Everyone talks about how mobile he is and stuff, I really dont see it. He can take advantage of gaping holes in defenses to pick up yards because he's still an NFL athlete, but that doesnt make him mobile

Time and time again, Id see Wentz drop back, nobody gets open, he's checking down to his last options and realizes the play is going nowhere, he realizes the pocket is starting to collapse and he needs to get out of there, and then this is the part that drives me crazy.

It's like he just starts moving in slow motion. Even if he does get out of the pocket its like he's running so damn slow. And I really hope its because he is still trying to make a pass play out of it but I dont know, I think thats just how fast he runs.

He isn't terribly slow when he can run in a straight line (4.77 40 yd dash), but he is not quick at all.

Ok, no problem because he's just SO BIG that defenders will have a hard time bringing him down right? Like Big Ben you know?

Except they don't have problems bringing him down. He goes down pretty easily for someone his size tbh.

Now this wouldnt be as noticeable if we had any kind of respectable players catching passes this year but its just something I personally noticed and happen to put a lot of stock into.

The QB's ability to avoid pressure (whether its from a quick throw or just good blocking) is the most important part of any football game IMO.

And Carson doesnt exactly get 5/5 stars from me in that category

copied this from a different forum but I went on to compare his ceiling to Joe Flacco fwiw

I was kidding about Manziel. Chip Kelly's an arrogant ass and Manziel is a fiend (my boy was actually in rehab with him at Caron).

Ha! I should have known, but sometimes it's hard to tell over the interwebz. Yeah, Manziel was a total fuck up. He'll be lucky to ever get back into the NFL, but let's not kid ourselves... the kid comes from a rich family, I don't think he really gives a fuck if he plays football or not.

i think wentz has a real chance of being a joe flacco. some ppl would love to hear that and others would hate it

missed last sentence of your post

but yeah flacco does the whole running in slow motion thing as well. and you would love him as a franchise QB but in the end he needs players around him to play good.

How I feel about Carson wentz

Ok, I cant argue against Embiid (because he IS that good), nor Simmons (because he hasnt played yet, but more than likely, IS that good)

but Im starting to wonder if people were watching the same Eagle's games as I was this year.

Carson Wentz has a great arm. He is a tough player. He is capable of understanding defenses and how to put his team in the best position to win. He definitely is the type of player who leaves everything out on the field, which is great.

But...BUT... the one thing I've noticed about this guy.

He's got pretty slow footwork. And I get it, he's a big guy, but still... And not just footwork in the pocket, im talking he just always seems like he is moving in slow motion. Everyone talks about how mobile he is and stuff, I really dont see it. He can take advantage of gaping holes in defenses to pick up yards because he's still an NFL athlete, but that doesnt make him mobile

Time and time again, Id see Wentz drop back, nobody gets open, he's checking down to his last options and realizes the play is going nowhere, he realizes the pocket is starting to collapse and he needs to get out of there, and then this is the part that drives me crazy.

It's like he just starts moving in slow motion. Even if he does get out of the pocket its like he's running so damn slow. And I really hope its because he is still trying to make a pass play out of it but I dont know, I think thats just how fast he runs.

He isn't terribly slow when he can run in a straight line (4.77 40 yd dash), but he is not quick at all.

Ok, no problem because he's just SO BIG that defenders will have a hard time bringing him down right? Like Big Ben you know?

Except they don't have problems bringing him down. He goes down pretty easily for someone his size tbh.

Now this wouldnt be as noticeable if we had any kind of respectable players catching passes this year but its just something I personally noticed and happen to put a lot of stock into.

The QB's ability to avoid pressure (whether its from a quick throw or just good blocking) is the most important part of any football game IMO.

And Carson doesnt exactly get 5/5 stars from me in that category

copied this from a different forum but I went on to compare his ceiling to Joe Flacco fwiw

I am more worried about his slow release throwing the ball then how fast he is leaving the pocket. I think an offseason of work with the coaches will do him wonders though! I am excited to have him on my team that's for sure.

Pulling for the Steelers in memory of axl! they kicking ass so far.

Well, I'm bowing out of the Miami-Pitt game.

I'm far too overjoyed about the fact that we actually made the playoffs, and way too optimistic about the future of this team moving forward (what is this "hope" you speak of?) to actually be disappointed or upset by my Dolphins loss today. After witnessing nearly two decades of institutional dysfunction and incompetence, a bevy of terrible coaching hires, passels of terrible personnel decisions, and an agglomeration of seasons where I watched my team give up before the season was even halfway over, just making the playoffs feels like a Superbowl victory to me.

Seriously, things were so bad, I thought they were never going to turn around. Now, we have a top notch coaching staff and a respectable corp of up-and-coming young talent to build around. Not only that, but we made the playoffs despite the fact that nearly every top player on our team outside of Jay Ajayi, Cameron Wake and Ndomukong Suh either suffered season ending injuries or missed significant portions of the season. Brandon Albert missed half the season, we lost Pouncey and Reshad Jones for the year, also Koa Misi, Isa Abdul-Quduss got knocked out, Jelani Jenkins is only good for 5 minutes of action a game, Xavien Howard barely had a rookie season, Byron Maxwell hurt himself, and then we lost Tannehill, for fucks sake. The fact that we made the playoffs despite the loss of 2 or 3 of the top 5 players on our team, and our starting quarterback, is pretty fucking incredible.

I'm not the biggest clay fan.. But that play was amazing..

I was pretty worried about the g men..

Go pack Go

Edit: so glad 88 is back.. That's huge.. He is key to our chances

Last edited:
Ouch, everyones really going to be on Odells ass now.

Last edited: