• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

The 2015/2016 NFL Thread v. yfw da jest win da superb owl

Josh McDaniels without Tom Brady is a great big idiot. After watching one horrible year of him as the Rams OC, I gained so much respect for Brady - he's so good he can take JMcD's baffling play calls and somehow make it work.

Here's an all-time favorite from 2012:
Muth070312-1.jpg

It's a play that calls for the center to run in a circle before blocking anybody. Making it even worse is that (A) this play came in a game against the Rediskins, who had Brian Orakpo rushing from the edge, and (B) our center at the time, Jason Brown, was the worst possible guy on the line to be blocking edge rushers. Or how about another time when Rams were at the goal line and instead of using Steven Jackson, he instead had Bradford (rushed back from injury and wearing an ankle brace) run a naked bootleg (which, of course, failed miserably). Okay, so you don't want to run the obvious play, I get that. But there are at least a dozen other plays that would have had a much better chance of success than an injured-Bradford-naked-bootleg. I've seen some baffling Rams offense over the last decade (Al Saunders in 2008, Brian Schottenheimer's habit of using Tavon Austin as a running back, everything Scott Linehan did), but JMcD takes the cake as the worst of the bunch.

Last edited:
So the Broncos and maybe the Chiefs are going to have an analytical guy with headphones giving ideas to the head coach. What do you guys think of the chances this works at all.

I hate football analystics. It's all percentages of what play you should run in what generic situation and stops coaches from going with their gut. It leads to the Doug Marrone constantly punting on 4th and 1 last season instead of taking chances like Bill Belichick does.

I'm skeptical it would work well, but then again, there have been many, many mediocre-to-bad head coaches over the years who could have used someone like this. I will say that Andy Reid could definitely use someone telling him how to use his timeouts and not screw up managing the clock. Heck, most NFL head coaches could use a dedicated clock management guy.

There is no proof that brady deflated footballs. Or instructed anyone to deflate footballs

and why doesn't anyone ever talk about how the colts also had under inflated balls

Such a terrible look for the NFL. Trying to make an example out of Brady. After all he has done for the game of football. He's not just the best QB of all time, he's the greatest football player of all time.

I don't care if you hate the patriots, idk how fans of football can be ok with the NFL completely destroying Brady's reputation.
i agree. i get it that gm hates the pats but siding with this dick of a commissioner just because you don't like brady and the patriots is lame.

you can laugh now but you'll be won't be laughing when the nfl commissioner shits on your team or some player you love.

alasdair

It may be beneficial for you then GM. If there one thing analytics has shown it is going for it on 4th and short is almost always the better choice. But some guys coach scared so will punt anyway.

And yeah, I immediately thought someone telling Reid to look at the clock would help him.

I don't give a shit about brady and the footballs. Never bothered me actually. I will jokingly call them cheaters, but I don't care. I actually rooted for them in the super bowl. As a denver fan, I don't love them, but I dislike Seattle more personally. It's a stupid thing that people are trying to smear him with over essentially nothing. That's all you got? A football was under inflated by a pound? maybe? ::yawn:: People take games and fairness way too seriously. I know it's a big deal but people throw a fit every chance they get about something lame like this.

Analyst sounds lame too. This isn't exactly texas hold em. Maybe it'll be a good tool, but im not convinced. Interested to see how Kubiak does.

People take games and fairness way too seriously. I know it's a big deal but people throw a fit every chance they get about something lame like this.
only when it's another team. when it's their team, cheating is just fine :)

i am super-stoked that football is back. so many exciting stories this year.

i know it's meaningless, pre-season football but nice to see the steelers kick off the season with a loss :)

alasdair

I don't give a shit about brady and the footballs. Never bothered me actually. I will jokingly call them cheaters, but I don't care. I actually rooted for them in the super bowl. As a denver fan, I don't love them, but I dislike Seattle more personally.

Yeah, as a Denver fan. Come to Western New York and throw that attitude around and you'll get your teeth kicked in. You don't get your ass kicked for a decade and a half by a division opponent and then say "Oh well they got caught cheating(again) no big deal. They deserve all the heat they're getting.

They hold lots of records in the NFL. Among them are: The largest 2 team fines for cheating in NFL history, the only franchise to ever be docked 3 first round picks for cheating(No other team has ever even been fined 2 first round picks in the entire 100ish year history of the NFL), and the only franchise in NFL history that was fined on tampering charges relating to hiring their coach. Bellichick started his whole career in New England under controversy. They were docked a first round pick for stealing Billy away from his existing contract.

So you see, the Patriots' cheating record goes back literally almost 20 years. And it's far more significant than anyone else's offenses. The Patriots' entire legacy is shot and Tom Brady will be remembered as a member of the cheating organization that made him famous. He & they probably would have been great without the cheating, but none of that matters now. They'll be remembered as the scumbags they were.

Damn, you folks in the NE are so aggressive sometimes, don't kick my teeth in. :)

It just doesn't bother me is all. It doesn't seem as big of a deal to me as everyone is making it.

Mike & Mike was talking about the strongest QB-RB-WR trio in the League, this morning...

of course Roethlisberger-Bell-Brown received unanimous praise. Luck-Gore-Hilton (and Andre Johnson) was brought up as well. I think Gore and Johnson have a couple good years left in them, but the Colts are poised to make a hellacious rise to the top this year. all they needed was a half-decent RB, and when they got Gore, I believe that he will help them out immensely (how many years he has left is up for debate). same thing goes with Andre Johnson

it was difficult for them to come up with other trios - mostly because marquee RBs are getting harder and harder to find. last year, the tops was most obviously Romo and his two Boys, but this year it's getting harder and harder to find. any other stand-out trios come to mind??

Rodgers, Nelson, Lacy ??

Rodgers, Cobb, Lacy

Rodgers, Adams, Lacy

the wave of the future:

Ryan, Freeman, Jones

Ryan, Coleman, Jones

it's so bright %)

lmao @ the Jets. Geno Smith out 6-8 weeks with a broken jaw caused by a "sucker punch from a teammate during practice."

this thread title proves ominously accurate.

like most people, i don't like the jets but i heard geno was playing really well at camp. oh well. what a bunch of losers.

alasdair

lmao @ the Jets. Geno Smith out 6-8 weeks with a broken jaw caused by a "sucker punch from a teammate during practice."

If the teammate isn't a starter he is bout to be cut. This is good news for mike Vick. I bet the jets pick him up again.