Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Tell us about the last film you watched, mate!

I caught The Informant! on HBO last night

24407330_.jpg

It was alright. The score was cool imo
Also his character kinda reminded me of Reese Witherspoon's character from Election, Tracey Flick

there should be a similar style film on george carlin, if there isn't one already

you got me interested in Attenberg, Joe. it's now under my "saved queue."

127 Hours
^was trying to rent something silly and entertaining. turned out to be boring. i had suspicions, as it was supposed to be about a guy who spends 127 hours standing alone with a rock. but i thought james franco might be able to do something watchable with it. na.

being based off of a already popular story with a shocking ending really works against it. couldn't stop thinking "hack your fucking arm off and go home already" the whole movie. that a spoiler? i guess i'll white it out, but who didn't hear about this guy when it happened.

and it was over-stylized without class. IMO, of course.

i think ya would appreciate Attenberg. ill be interested to hear your thoughts on it.

and i totally agree with ya on 127 Hours. personally haven't liked anything by Boyle except trainspotting. especially slumgdog millionaire and 127 hours thought both were frickin gimmicks full of cliches, even Sunshine... coulda been really good sci-fi but he had toss in that ridiculous burned monster-esque character.

last night i watched... "Cold Fish"

latest from sion sono (suicide club, strange circus, love exposure, just to name a few) he has become my fav japanese filmmaker. i still love takashi miike (13 assassins was dope) but miike is kinda takin it easy doing more mainstream type stuff. its all good tho. anyways Cold Fish "The film is about a quiet and unambitious owner of a tropical fish shop who's life and family are taken over by a fellow fish entrepreneur who happens to be a serial killer. The film is loosely based off the exploits of two Tokyo serial killers, Sekine Gen and Hiroko Kazama, a husband and wife duo who owned a pet shop and murdered at least four people."

great cast, really good acting by the two leads. good amount of fun violence. perhaps could be a bit shorter (145 minutes) but from sono who gave us his 4 hour magnum opus "love exposure" i wouldn't expect anything less than 120 minutes. overall very enjoyable viewing. definitely recommend to fans of asian cinema/horror

trailer

371.jpg

The Motorcycle Diaries

It's about Che Guevara's motorcycle trip across Latin America.

It was pretty decent. 3/5

The Umbrellas of Cherbourg

all the dialogue was sung. but it did not ever make a real song. just line after line in this ridiculous sing-song voice. and the story was as boring as it gets.

the picture was the redeeming aspect. and it was very redeeming. they took full advantage of the way Technicolor looks. amazing setting. so many beautiful colors and patterns arranged in each frame. the walls might have been the coolest part of the movie. or catherine deneuve standing in front of them. while dvd transfer was not bad, i would rent again if it ever gets a Criterion quality release on blu-ray. because the image is so pretty, and i know the dvd was not doing it full justice.

I recently watched Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows Pt. 2, pretty enjoyable throughout with some exceptional action scenes and CGI (e.g. the Dragon in Gringot's). Felt a little flat in places and the closing scene felt a little contrived. It was supposed to portray the characters 19 years after the main events yet the actors looked at most 5 years older. All in all a good end to the series though :)

I also watched Let Me In. I was supprised at just how closely it mirrored the original and it left me wondering why the remake was even necessary. Sure it had a bigger budget and was flashier in places (the scene where the young vampire girl is first seen feeding for example really benefited from the more advanced special effects) however they also chose to dumb-down aspects of the plot / hold the audience's hand slightly in places it wasn't necessary:
NSFW:
making the relationship between the girl and her "father" more explicitly defined when a photo is shown of him as a child beside her.... pretty sure that wasn't in the original but I could be mistaken?
. Okay as a remake but I still preferred Let The Right One In.

Tonight or Never (Ce soir ou jamais, 1961)

with anna karina! first movie i have seen with her that was not directed by godard. i am not about downloading movies, but when it does not exist on region 1 DVD, i am not left with much of a choice. the image quality was decent. the subtitles were clearly done by a fan, and one who spoke french better than english. but they worked.

was like the silly, cookie-cutter romantic comedies that were cranked out with brigitte bardot. one ridiculously beautiful, young, stupid girl in love. and all those movies are infected by this weird, french sexism. just like bardot's characters, anna's character gets slapped by the man she is madly in love with. 1950/60s france could not have a romantic comedy without a good smack. in this movie the slap is actually supposed to be proof that he loves her. you know, because he cared enough to hit her when she got out of line.

the depicted romance reminded middle school. silly fights and using a middle man for communication because they're not on speaking terms. anna's character was just as stupid as the rest.

but anna was the star and she shined. the movie itself was nothing. no value other than her. fortunately the camera knew this.

Last edited:
Saw the most recent harry potter movie, it was alright and I am a fan of the series.

went on a movie marathon ::
Treasure of the Sierra Madre
"REDS"
Citizen Kane
3rd Man
Crimes and Misdemeanors
Nashville
DeadMan
BlowUP

I also watched Let Me In. I was supprised at just how closely it mirrored the original and it left me wondering why the remake was even necessary. Sure it had a bigger budget and was flashier in places (the scene where the young vampire girl is first seen feeding for example really benefited from the more advanced special effects) however they also chose to dumb-down aspects of the plot / hold the audience's hand slightly in places it wasn't necessary:
NSFW:
making the relationship between the girl and her "father" more explicitly defined when a photo is shown of him as a child beside her.... pretty sure that wasn't in the original but I could be mistaken?
. Okay as a remake but I still preferred Let The Right One In.
I think the main reason for a remake is because of money. They added the gore and dumbed it down so Americans would like and understand it. Also, think about it: How many Americans do you know like reading let alone while watching a movie? :p I know I'm with ya in that I prefer the original. :)

panic, what did you think of Blow-Up? did you notice jane in it? her scene kind of stands out.

edit: oh, it being on the bottom of your list means something. i was disappointed as well. but i still think the short amount of time the camera spends with with jane makes it worth the watch.

I'm semi-dating someone who's dragging me back to the movies regularly for the first time in many years. The last two:

Super 8: Greatly enjoyed it, though I think it works better as a movie about moviemaking than as a SF suspense flick. Highly recommended.

Horrible Bosses: Just saw this last night, and absolutely loved it; it's not as clever as Office Space, but the performances and cameos really cook. I was the loudest person in the theater, as usual. :)

Making-Out with Violence

was bad. i'm someone who can appreciate a twisted story of obsession, but this was boring. poorly acted and shot with a shitty camera too.

panic, what did you think of Blow-Up? did you notice jane in it? her scene kind of stands out.

edit: oh, it being on the bottom of your list means something. i was disappointed as well. but i still think the short amount of time the camera spends with with Jane makes it worth the watch.

yeah, thats tough...Blow-Up kept grabbing me, really pulling me in, then letting me down again...with odd stuff really, and it was mostly the lead characters doing, the little "improv-touches" he seemed to be giving here and there, acting out the eccentric artist, was over-did for me - being critical.
same with Dead-Man, there were scenes in that which were priceless, or just left to run on for 20-30-40 seconds toooo long; made for odd timing and myself to wonder too much about the cast, director, editor and what not, more then the film and the zoned sense it seemed to trying to instill.

i did not notice Jane!
right away i thought of the model who was supposed to be in Paris, haha - "i am in Paris".

but then, i remembered one of the two girls who crash the place for work, i thought straight away when they actually showed her face and they are all restling around; that this girl is actually a modle, and i doubt she would be doing this IRL haha...

you know what im talking about?
the tall more talkative "dirty blond" ... that must be her.!

i bet'cha $5

am now waiting for the sun to go around to start a new marathon...

Wild Strawberries***
Chinatown**
JFK
Manhattan
Annie Hall
Casablanca
Hearts & Minds**
Sorrow & the Pity***

ive seen the W Allen films many many times over, and the others not with *
Wild Strawberries and the Sorrow & the Pity im really looking forward to.