• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Tapentadol withdrawal

SHANN0N

Greenlighter
I was on 1600 mg of tapentadol a day for the past 4-6 months or so. I know that is a lot, I havnt found any personal stories on here if anyone using more then 400mg-600mg a day. Also can’t find much information online on what to expect for withdrawal symptoms and how long they last. So I’m feeling pretty alone right now. I’ve been detoxing for about a week now, the first 4 days were horrible, I used suboxone a couple of those days but that just made me nauseous and still couldn’t get out of bed. Now I’m just dealing with cold/hot sweats and no energy, can’t find much enjoyment in anything, every day feels like eternity and the nights I use Benadryl to sleep, every morning I wish the sun didn’t come up. I know it’s only been a week and this won’t last forever but when your going through it your mind will constantly convince you that this is your new reality and you will never return to your normal happy energetic self. I have a 2 year old to keep up with as well so yeah it’s a lot and I’m just wondering if anyone has any advise. Thanks 😊

Also I have experience with pretty much everything if anyone has any questions or needs support. 💕

I just saw this and am wondering how you’re doing? I also need to detox from Tapentadol and want to know what to expect. Are you feeling better now with more energy??
What brand were you using? Was it Aspadol?
And were you able to stop while you still had a supply around or did you have to finish it or throw it away?

Last edited:
I just saw this and am wondering how you’re doing? I also need to detox from Tapentadol and want to know what to expect. Are you feeling better now with more energy??
What brand were you using? Was it Aspadol?
And were you able to stop while you still had a supply around or did you have to finish it or throw it away?
Hello, I’m still feeling low energy and mild symptoms but I used subs a few times throughout so I’m not sure if that prolonged it. I’m actually surprised it’s lasting this long because I was under the impression that it is the same thing as tramadol. I’m not sure what brand I was using. I was ordering it from India, and I most definitely had to use what I had left in order to quit because it wears off so quickly that it’s almost impossible to taper. How are you feeling? Weed helps a lot and if you can find gabapentin/Nurontin that helps tremendously.

I did however find information online stating the withdrawal symptoms will last for 2 weeks.

Thank you for this information. I keep trying to get just one day! I wake up miserable every day until I take some. Then the cycle continues because, as you mentioned, it wears off so fast and the coming down feeling is awful. I cannot continue to live like this. I need so desperately to stop but I quickly cave every day so that I can function. The depression is crushing until I take some. I need to somehow break this cycle. Sorry for rambling but I am not sure what to do!!
Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I have needed to find someone who has experience with quitting Tapentadol and you are the only one I have found. It seems it’s rare to find someone with addiction to this specific drug.

Thank you for this information. I keep trying to get just one day! I wake up miserable every day until I take some. Then the cycle continues because, as you mentioned, it wears off so fast and the coming down feeling is awful. I cannot continue to live like this. I need so desperately to stop but I quickly cave every day so that I can function. The depression is crushing until I take some. I need to somehow break this cycle. Sorry for rambling but I am not sure what to do!!
Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I have needed to find someone who has experience with quitting Tapentadol and you are the only one I have found. It seems it’s rare to find someone with addiction to this specific drug.
It is hard to find anyone with experience with this drug. It seems the drug has almost been abandoned in the US, so not many people are prescribed it. I had to get it from over seas like I mentioned to help with methadone withdrawal. I should have mentioned that in my earlier post, lately I’ve been wondering if my long detox experience is due to switching from methadone to tapentadal only to delay the inevitable. I have to say though that today I feel pretty good. Also kratum helps a lot. Keep pushing forward. Don’t listen to the voices that tell you you’ll never be normal again and this is your new reality, because it’s not true. You got this, keep me posted on your progress. Your friend Shannon. Also you can find me on Facebook, Shannon Drake. Good luck .

Still struggling here. Have you been continuing to use kratom throughout this detox?
I have never tried kratom and wondering if I should get some or if will just delay the inevitable withdrawals. What do you think?

Hey y'all I've stopped by taking less each week!! First time.. Long process...I'm in pain mgt and it was flagged in urine... lucky they didn't boot me... So I kept cutting dose in half and spreading it through out the day...not sure why it showed up on urine test I thought it was an opiate..
I'm looking at a 4th spine surgery so I can't blow this

It is hard to find anyone with experience with this drug. It seems the drug has almost been abandoned in the US, so not many people are prescribed it. I had to get it from over seas like I mentioned to help with methadone withdrawal. I should have mentioned that in my earlier post, lately I’ve been wondering if my long detox experience is due to switching from methadone to tapentadal only to delay the inevitable. I have to say though that today I feel pretty good. Also kratum helps a lot. Keep pushing forward. Don’t listen to the voices that tell you you’ll never be normal again and this is your new reality, because it’s not true. You got this, keep me posted on your progress. Your friend Shannon. Also you can find me on Facebook, Shannon Drake. Good luck .
Try cbd

I've experienced the withdrawal, its much more manageable than oxy withdrawal per say--but that doesn't help someone going through it at the time lol. Your energy comes back after the first or two weeks basically to what it was, unless your use was very prolonged and in very high doses over the years.

Mostly, the mental aspect will be uncomfortable because the depression and robotic inability to enjoy things is evident. It fades fast should you not relapse on the tapentadol again and summon the withdrawal back. I recommend getting off tapentadol. The brain fog, as well as potential liver toxicity (drug is very unexplored in clinical trials) is not something to overlook. I experienced horrible depression everyday while using tapentadol because the natural endorphin system cannot truly be replaced. Even though I was in a good mood on the substance, there was something crippling about the mental state it leaves you in long after the doses subside. There is almost a stimulant like crash to the effects after the first hour of taking the drug, causing one to redose to combat the depression or cravings. Its not good.

Your withdrawal will be fine but obviously it will be very unenjoyable for the first week or so. You shouldn't experience too many physical symptoms like oxy withdrawal within patients, but it will mostly be a mental battle and you will feel quite unhappy and anxious. As I said, its not the beastly withdrawal that other opioid pharmaceuticals induce. There is scientifically a reason why the withdrawal is less unpleasant than percocet or heroin, but I can't remember it sorry! Just know its actually not that bad at all coming from someone who faced withdrawals from other opioids in the past. Very tolerable. You will be fine after the first week. I wouldn't recommend for the first week or so scheduling really intensive and long-haul activities. You will be quite depressed and lethargic until the end of week 2. After week 2 I felt as though the withdrawal was lingering ever so slightly but hardly noticeable at all. The brain recovers quicker on tapentadol cessation Tapentadol use is becoming more common because as an opioid many have easier access to the drug. its the same dead end drug and I feel much better after getting off it.

Last edited:
Still struggling here. Have you been continuing to use kratom throughout this detox?
I have never tried kratom and wondering if I should get some or if will just delay the inevitable withdrawals. What do you think?
On its own Kratom WD especially when tapered is ime very doable, and short.

But I never used it to come off an heavier opiate. Probably you'll need to stabilize on Kratom first before tapering.
Tapentadol probably is a bit like o-DSMT, stronger then kratom. But its def worth to try, watch out for overdoing it as Kratom can become nausseating. Like any Opioid, but as it is not standardized, take more as needed.