• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Switching from Xanax to Valium

Niiirvo

Greenlighter
I was taking 1mg Xanax XR for about a month, just before sleep. Then I have taken 0.5mg XR before sleep for about 2 weeks and I'm still doing so. The problem is that even the extended release wears off after couple of hours and I wake up with a terrible rebound anxiety and have to carry on like that throughout the whole day until I take Xanax in the evening. I was thinking about switching to Valium 5mg to avoid rebound anxiety and interdose withdrawals. I used to be heavily addicted to Xanax for about 5 years, taking as much as 5-6mg a day but then I switched to Valium and later kicked Valium and was clean for about a year. But as I said I came back to Xanax about 1.5 months ago. Would switching to Valium get rid of my rebound anxiety and constant interdose withdrawals?

Kind regards,

Nirvo

Well xanax CR is less potent, because it is gradually released, and 0.5mg would basically be equivalent to ~0.25mg of regular xanax, although l with a delayed onset and extended duration( xanax CR is given 1-2x per day, and apparently the starter is often just once we sat, which is sill, unless you are taking the 2 or 3mg versions, and even then breakthrough medications should be given INO, depending upon the purpose.

Dzp(Valium) is actually similiar to alprazolam, in that it has a rapid onset, and fast symptomatic relief, although it wears off quickly, with synchronic dosing, and even with chronic doing you need larger doses/ multiple daily doses for it's metabolite to build up sufficiently to have any practical effect

Althiugh at those fairly low doses of alprazolam, dzp would be a viable option to switch, just make sure the doses are equivalent, and personally would raise the dose a bit if interdose wd/ rebound symptoms are a problem

30mg Valium per day would be an improvement, although remember it takes 30-40mg to equal ~2mg alprazolam per day;

however ER at a sufficient dose, dzp will have a butnif a smoother comedown, and in your case may last as long as 1mg xanax CR(or whatever, they have er, SR and two different CR's- controlled release and continuous release)

although generally, 2mg xanax ER would have a similar, if not longer duration than 10mg dzp

Is worth considering again, although what about Clonazepam? It holds longer than dzp, and once it builds up, interdose wd is pretty much a non issue; 1mg bid or so would eliminate this

Good luck, and just research before making final decision if possible or practical

Hi Nirvo,
I know this question wasnt asked too me but thought i would comment as i was in 2x2mg alpraz daily for about a year then it got reschedualed in Australia from 4 too 8 so my GP could no longer continue. He gave me a choice saying that the target was to be on 2x10mg diaz but if i wanted to take more to combat possible withdraw so tappering from either 30 or 40mg downwoulds he would. I choose too just deal with any withdraws and surprisingly i was pretty much fine. I found the transition to be much more pleasant than expected.

Agreed with everything Lorne has said
Cheers
At

Well that is a big dose drop, though congratulations man, lower tolerance/dose is ideal

Try Clonazepam? It comes in 0.5 mg sunlingual tablets and has thus a faster onset but has a better half-life in the blood, so I would say for every 0.5 mg Xanax take 0.5 mg Clonazepam. The there is Diazepam which equivalts to 0.5 mg Xanax = 10 mg Diazepam (Valium) so upwards to 30 mg with the yellow Valium tablets (ya know? the 5 mg ones) can be done , however there is also another option maybe and that is Lorazepam (Ativan), where 1 mg Lorazepam = 10 mg Diazepam. So maybe this ppost will help you out a bit... :)

-- Peace o/