Votes: 2 14.3%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/3stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Damn you all. I'm going to have to see this now with all these good reports.

I'd convinced myself it wasn't going to be any good a long time ago. :p

i plan on seeing it, i just pray its not lame. i wanted to see the new xmen but it looks extremely boring

I can say without question that X-Men is really really really good. Like almost as good as Dark Knight good. almost. it's really good. did i mention really good yet?

I still haven't seen Super 8 yet. I'll report back when I do.

I can say without question that X-Men is really really really good. Like almost as good as Dark Knight good. almost. it's really good. did i mention really good yet?

Yeh X-Men was great, I really enjoyed it but let's not get too carried away. Almost as good as Dark Knight good........ doesn't come close imo.
But this is the wrong thread for that.....

One scene I forgot to bring up. The one where the stoner guy came back to pick the kids up. He does the cliche "pass out in the car". Although stupid, that didn't bother me. It's when they stop and the stoner is STILL passed out, despite bombs exploding and guns being fired all around them. The one kid gets out of the car yelling ," Oh man! Drugs are sooo bad!" Really? Was an anti-drug message really needed in a monster movie? It just seemed so forced and out of place. Not to mention, how stupid it sounded in the context of the scene.

^ yea I disliked that bit as well. It was unbelievable (cus he would have woken up at some point) and corny (because of the way the kid said it).

Like ET, yes. Like Cloverfield? Not so much. Cloverfield had all that jumpy, Blair witch-y camera footage. Super 8 was tolerable and entertaining to watch.

Stay for the credits. :)

The train wreck scene alone is worth watching it. So intense, just like the plane crash in Lost.

Fear of the unknown but at least with some resolution.

Spoiler!

NSFW:
In The stoner's defense, he did pull it together and save the day by picking up the kids after the bus incident. If it was truly anti-drug, I'd assume they'd left that part out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like ET, yes. Like Cloverfield? Not so much. Cloverfield had all that jumpy, Blair witch-y camera footage. Super 8 was tolerable and entertaining to watch.

So you thought the alien in Super 8 was cute and cuddly like E.T. huh?
No need to be so literal in your comparison. The comparison to Cloverfield works in a similar way as the comparison to E.T. It's to do with the vibe of the film, and I feel that Super 8 sits somewhere between the two films in that sense.

Also, the alien in Super 8 is much more like the alien in Cloverfield (not to mention the destruction it causes). While the kids and the whole misunderstood-alien-thing make it reminiscent of E.T.

this film reminded me of Cloverfield because it featured a big-ass monster laying waste to civilization. the parts that reminded me most of Cloverfield were when the monster did that thing to all the soldiers' weapons when he was underground and chaos ensued

I haven't seen Cloverfield, so I'll just replaced that with the Matthew Broderick version of Godzilla.

MV5BMTMwMjA5NzM1Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNjAyMjI3._V1._SX400_SY270_.jpg

Spoiler!

NSFW:
In The stoner's defense, he did pull it together and save the day by picking up the kids after the bus incident. If it was truly anti-drug, I'd assume they'd left that part out.

Possible spoiler:

Not only did the kid's not mention it, they left the poor guy in the car! He saves their asses and they just leave him and didn't tell anyone he was still in the car. Did they even show him at the end? If not, that unsung hero is probably stuck to the bottom of the alien's foot. A moment of silence for the poor guy. :(

a1a.jpg

NSFW:
^ Yes. They showed him at the very end. He was still passed out in his car. It was actually pretty out of place because the other scenes surrounding it are really 'touching' -- both the parents taking ahold of their children's hands in awe at the ship.

I liked it. Cute film and pretty suspenseful at parts. I loved the dialogue of all the kids seemed so natural and funny. I feel like t_g is really going to like this one... sort of reminded me of Stand By Me. :)

BTW, I forgot you loved Stand By Me... did you see the similarities at least in the dialogue/close young boy relationships or am I just retarded?

Yeas, I could see the similarities. I think there are always going to be parallels with past movies whenever you have a movie in which the main characters are all kids and it isn't a really a kid's movie, especially since they don't really put that many out these days. Stand By Me is the Holy Grail of that genre.

Super 8 had an 80's feel in general, even though it was set in 1979. I could see similarities in it and The Goonies, E.T., Explorers, Mac and Me (just kidding) and a few other 80's movies.

in the realm of kid adventure movies Stand By Me is second only to Monster Quest or the Goonies. I definitely saw a Stand By Me influence in this film, and mostly in the superb and natural dialogue that kept the audience not only entertained, but invested

my favorite kid character was the one who liked to blow everything up. he came in handy during the end for sure =D

the 80s really pigeon-holed those kids-on-an-adventure genre, huh?

I really liked this movie. I thought the child actors were fantastic.

One scene I forgot to bring up. The one where the stoner guy came back to pick the kids up. He does the cliche "pass out in the car". Although stupid, that didn't bother me. It's when they stop and the stoner is STILL passed out, despite bombs exploding and guns being fired all around them. The one kid gets out of the car yelling ," Oh man! Drugs are sooo bad!" Really? Was an anti-drug message really needed in a monster movie? It just seemed so forced and out of place. Not to mention, how stupid it sounded in the context of the scene.
i saw it differently. it was seen to me as a sarcastic jab to the 80s just say no era and it's reflection in media, not as a "don't do drugs" meme itself.

i miss being here because of a few like you my little online friend.