• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Suboxone Taper Megathread-all related threads to be merged here

Znegative

Bluelight Crew
Buprenorphine Taper Megathread

suboxone_351038_351039.jpg

Okay, second try here. There's been a lot of good threads about tapering with subs, so we're going to merge them all here. Nothing personal, just for the sake of organization. All future threads on the topic will be merged here as well. Their may be some continuity issues at first, so bear with us.

Last edited by a moderator:
My heroin detox story/questions with quick suboxene taper.

Okay guys so let's start this off by saying what my goal for this thread is. I want to post a story for people in the future who are battling with the same thing I am, I know it's been done before but I know I always read multiple threads no matter if it's the same information just so I know I'm not alone, so here is my story. And it starts right now. As I lay here I am and have been a heroin addict. By the time I last post in this thread I want to be clean and off of everything. Here's some backstory to fill you in on my drug use and how I got to where I am. When I was younger I smoked weed and took hydrocodones (this is where my love for opiates came from) I graduated to psychedelics and ended up with a love for snorting cheese (heroin in a powder form mixed with diphenhydramine hci) after chipping for 5 months (this was 13 months ago) , 7 months ago I tried iv heroin because I had watched my roommate at the time do it the whole time i was chipping. From that day forward I have not gone a day without heroin, enless forced to by lack of money. I have since dropped out of school, lost 2 jobs, lost respect and friends and family. And brought others down with me. For the past 40 days I've been trying to quit. I do not sadly have the willpower at my old ripe age of 17 to go through withdrawals. I have tried numerous times to go cold turkey. On the positive side I went from a 1 gram a day habit. To what I am at now, and that is roughly .1-.2 of black tar a day. When I wake up I do a dark 30 unit shot, throughout the day (roughly 5-8 hours later) I will do one more shot a little bit lighter. And then at night i do a dark 30, considering before I was doing dark dark 50s back to back all day and getting incoherent id say I cut my use down. As of right now I have a little stockpile of things that I will be using for the next 10 days. And this is my plan
Tomorrow is day one and it will be a normal day, I will continue my schedule of 3 shots, Sunday will be the same and that will be the last of my supply of heroin, Monday I will wake up sick and wait till 8 o'clock which is when I will finally from the heavens above be getting 24mg of suboxene, I have been looking for bupe for roughly 2 months. Monday night I will induce on the 24th-30th hour mark. With 3mg, and hope that kills my number one enemy. The dreaded RLS. My ROA will be SL and I will be getting rid of all my rigs. On top of the precious subs I also have 10mg of ambien, and roughly 500mg of seroquel, I will also be on the market for 6mg of Xanax or, most likely scenario 4mg of klonapin. With these by my side I should be able to get through the withdrawals fairly painlessly from my research. Here is my plan

Monday night induce with 4mg take 5mg of ambien and pass out
Tuesday wake up and last as long as I can, take another 4mg, then at night take 2mg and a benzo to sleep
Wednesday same as Tuesday
Thursday, wake up and take 2mg and then 2mg at bedtime along 50-100mg of seroquel
Friday wake up and take 1mg then 2mg at bedtime and back to ambien the last 5mg
Saturday wake up and not take any until 1mg at bedtime along with a benzo
Sunday-jump off seroquel at night
Then home free swapping sleeping meds for the next 2/3 nights to help sleep. This is JUST an outline. If I end up needing more of something I will take it. Any suggestions. I'm already stocked up on Imodium Epsom salt, Claritin, Benadryl. Pepto, acetaminophen, and ibuprofen. This is my first giant ASSAULT on my addiction. Let's pray this goes how I am hoping

Here are my questions

1) will I be taking bupe for too long and feel withdrawals from it?
2) are any of the fore mentioned drugs going to conflict with the bupe? Specifically ambien/seroquel/XanaxORklonapin
3) would I be better off with kpins or Xanax? Xanax really helps me sleep, and so does kpins, both have worked wonders for me I'm just curious which is better, also last thing
4) are my dosages good? Or should I bump or lower any of them on anything?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Micro, to answer your questions, first off, you will very likely go through withdrawals, sorry but that's the truth. See, going to suboxone can help but it's still an opioid, just a long lasting one and replacing heroin with it won't leave you feeling perfect once you start to taper and especially once you quit, it will just be less painful then quitting heroin is. Be careful taking those meds with suboxone, especially Ambien, Xanax and klonopin as too much of those drugs can cause respiratory depression and slowed heart rate, even death. I don't know your tolerance but I'd suggest taking the suboxone first then after it takes effect, then take the other drug and start slow, .5mg-1mg of the benzos at a time and wait a good 2-3 hours before you decide it's not enough and to take more. You know yourself, just be cautious that all the drugs you listed can interact with suboxone if too much of either drug is used. Imo, klonopin works better for things like getting through a whole day or getting and staying asleep because of its long half life but Xanax I feel is better at taking care of anxiety right away but doesn't last as long. As for what would be best for you, it's really a matter of opinion, I'd say klonopin because of the long half life but others may disagree, its all really just about your personal preference. Again, I don't know your tolerance so I can't tell you what's a good dose for you to use, everyone is different but I'd suggest trying to get more suboxone if you can because you said you can't get through withdrawal and a week is a really fast taper imho. Try 4mgs at first like you said and wait 2 hours, if you still feel sick and need more, go up by 2mgs until you feel better but because you have other drugs, I'd say try to not feel 100% from just the suboxone alone, then it will last you longer and the other drugs combined could get you to feeling normal. If you're really want to quit, you likely won't feel 100% and that's good, you just want to make things better, they shouldn't be perfect unless you plan on taking suboxone for awhile but if not, you likely will feel sick both during the taper and after but it shouldn't be as bad as heroin withdrawals are, having a few klonopin or whatever can really help. Look online for suboxone taper methods, many people have made up charts that list very good taper schedules.

Thanks for the info. I know my tolerance and it's quite high to opioids, on my past drug use I know my body can handle the hardest tests, (one night being pulled over caused me to Eat 6 bars while already on a lot of heroin) so my body can take a beating. I'm not suggesting any of this to anyone. But as of now it's Sunday at 5am so I got the rest of today and tomorrow and I will be getting my subs, also I have only been able to track down 7mg of Xanax so that will be added to my arsenal of medication for sleep. Can't wait to be clean. But sobriety I'm quite happy.

Good luck with quitting, I really hope to here later that you worked your plan through and are doing good and sober! It sounds like you're really making a good effort imo by trying to stock up on things to ease the W/D's then making out a good taper plan!

Heres an update! i never ended up getting subs and am desperately looking for them , im extremely sad i havnt been able to kick this. the good news is is that through everything ive been stable enough with some support to get back on my toes, starting a new job on monday, and then my 2nd job starts next thurs. so i will have a 80 hour work week to help take my mind off heroin. sadly i will continue to use until i find suboxene

Sorry to here that, is there any chance that you could maybe go to see a bupe doctor and start getting your suboxone that way? Good luck with the new job and I hope you're able to get everything taken care of soon.

Heres an update! i never ended up getting subs and am desperately looking for them , im extremely sad i havnt been able to kick this. the good news is is that through everything ive been stable enough with some support to get back on my toes, starting a new job on monday, and then my 2nd job starts next thurs. so i will have a 80 hour work week to help take my mind off heroin. sadly i will continue to use until i find suboxene

There is a good link in the Suboxone Megathread for finding bupe doctors. You can also use the suboxone website to locate a doc close to you who can prescribe it.

the Suboxone website has a directory of all doctors by state who prescribe it. depending on your location will dictate how easy it is to see one. Some areas have few Docs so they have waiting lists.

HELP: Suboxone rapid detox

To be clear, I'm getting off suboxone by using heroin. I want to give clean living a chance. I've been on sub for about 9 months and I have been doing heroin and taking kratom for almost 2 weeks to get the sub out of my system and now I'm about to start my rapid detox. I'm planning on tapering down exponentially from 4 mgs to 2 to 1 to .5 to .25

Does anybody have any advice or experience with this? Everyone I know thinks I'm crazy for thinking this will work but it makes sense to me.

^ Youre not crazy, I used to do this and suggest it. Its easier coming off short acting opiates than longer ones.
When you say youre tapering 4mgs, 2mgs ect. Were you talking about suboxone? Anyways, you were on sub for quite a while, youre going to want to do low doses of a short acting opiate for at least a month.

- Hopeless soul

I have been on suboxene 16 mg for 4 years to get off of pain pills. Little did I know that you can withdrawal worse off of suboxene. I weaned down to 2 mg a day cause i moved and i am sick of depending on this crap anymore. I feel like shit! I am weak, depression is very bad, I try to walk it is so hard but I am on day 6 and my body is still hurting I have only taken clonodine at night. But for some reason I can't sleep tonightand it has been one of my worse nights weird but true. My head hurts everyday body aches from hell. The cold chills and hot flashes finally stopped. I have stomach aches so I bought nauzene for nausea.If I could just get my body to quit hurting and the weakness to quit lol I would be great. How much longer is all I think everyday I am so done with this shit. Never again do I want to feel this hell. I have to suffer it out cause I do not know anyone where I moved to get anything to help so wish me luck.

I would recommend trying to just quit subs first before using heroin to get off but I guess whatever works. Sub wd wasn't bad at all for me, but I was only only for 4 months from 8mg and jumped at 1mg

^ To each his own, I suppose. The question is do you want a mild, long drawn out wd, or a short intense one.
Also once back on full agonists, you can re-induct bup', and do a correct taper.

- Hopeless souL

not quite understanding why you are still using the Suboxone at all if you plan on getting off. I am not one to say this is the best of ideas but if you plan on using the dope than use the dope and solely the dope to get off the Suboxone. you left at what MG!? regardless, not sure what your dope tolerance is but use it to your advantage and take when that WD feeling is coming on; do not panic and let it play out as long as possible, or till problems actually start occurring but stick w/ solely dope/whatever else you plan, and let the Suboxone leave the system; takes more than a day; usually 3-4 days based on dosage alone. so be prepared because it may seem a bit easy at first but that is because the Suboxone is still in the system. I've done it before thinking it was a bit easy and after a week then came hell. ended up back on Suboxone and have been using it on/off for 6+ years now.

to be honest, just based on what you have wrote, are you sure you are ready to get off Suboxone and actually leave dope as well? it can be done but not too many people will go back to dope to help taper from the Suboxone. dope is the drug you left and used Suboxone for, right? so why come back? have you been using at all? if not, you really should stay away because you might catch that "feel" you once had and miss and now the problems start all over again. but if you are sure about what you are doing then I would stick w/ just the dope, when needed, to help w/ the taper rather than continue w/ the Suboxone as well as the dope; the half life alone w/ the Suboxone will only prolong the process and cause more of a hassle all throughout.

best of luck, dude. if you have questions, ask. I've done it quite a few times myself but the plan was to never STOP fully.

Why heroin? Why not just express to you sub doctor that you are afraid of drawn out withdrawals from bupe and would like to use hydromorphone or morphine (better choice due to ER formulation availible) for a week to two weeks at most to switch your dependancy from long acting bupe to something shorter acting so the withdrawals happen more severely, but quicker than the long drawn out bupe withdrawal horror stories? That would be better than dope at least as you can make sure you don't take too much and raise your dependancy levels again.

@ OP, are you still using suboxone, while youre doing the H? If this is the case, then no, it doesnt make sense.. you can quit the sub, and you wont go into wd, if you have a full opiate agonist. There is zero need to continue to take the suboxone, especially when your main goal is to excrete it from your body completely. I just want to make sure we have your story straight!

- Hopeless Soul

I've been taking 1 mg of sub daily for the past few weeks (tapered down from 8 ) and I have not taken any sub for about 10 days (just kratom and heroin) and I'm planning on starting my rapid sub taper tomorrow. I basically have been doing dope to get the sub out of my system so I can do a sub taper to diminish WD symptoms

^ okay gotcha, yeah you have the right idea, however the half life of buprenorphine is extremely long. Most likely 10 days will not be a long enough duration. You want to get closer to a month, I know certain circumstances can prevent this, but for the amount and length of time you were on subs, I just dont think 10 days will be enough time.

- Hopeless

Ive done this a few times, however ive never really spent much time on bupe because ide rather the short WD than long drawn out hell. What i do is after getting all sub out of me (will take you longer than me due to how long you have been on it and whatnot) while doing dope ill keep getting high consistently and slightly taper towards the end of my stash as i found WD to be just as bad if i taper down or just stick to my normal dose (actually i like my last shot to be a good one) then after being on dope long enough that i know it has taken over and all trace of that nasty orange devil is out of me ill suck it up and take a 24 hour break then switch back to the orange bastard bupe. I start with 2mg then 12 hours later another 2mg, after 12 more hours ill do 1mg then wait as long as i possibly can and do another 1mg and once again wait as long as i can and do .5mg and usually hop off there, sometimes ill draw it out just a little longer and sometimes ill even start at a lower dose but it has worked for me quite a few times. Usually its a 3-6 day taper and kills the worst of the physical WD until its bareable. Ihave yet to take more than 2 weeks completely clean but that is due to personal choice and not phys or mental wd.

What can i say, i enjoy getting high. I did plan on stopping before starting work again but said fuck it, however now i have a legitimate good reason to actually stop and im really thinking about giving it up for awhile again.

My longest stretch clean in the past 15 years was the 4.5-5 year stretch (dont know the exact lenght but somewhere between 4 and 5 years) i did due to personal choice and legal issues and also a new girl in my life who was a good motivator to stay clean. However at the end of our relationship she made me want to get high again.

Only reason i started again was a car accident and not being able to get anything from my dr and the only thing i could find was dope, and my back hurt so bad i couldnt even make it to work and i ibuprophen 800's from my dr just didnt even touch the pain. So i got back into dope as i knew i would. Used my nose for a few months then one day i was like, damn, it used to feel so much better to mainline it, lets get a pack of pins and try a few, and here i am today. Switching from subs to dope to subs to dope depending on money and various other factors. Oh well, im happy and thats what matters in life right?