• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Suboxone - precipitated withdrawal Question

Teaandcrumpets

Greenlighter
I know that if you take Suboxone way too early after another opiate you can send yourself into precipitated withdrawal.

But what if you have taken Suboxone for a decent amount of time (say 3 months), you stop taking it for three days and relapse on oxycodone (and the Suboxone doesn't block the opioid''s effects), and take some Suboxone four or maybe eight hours afterward: would a scenario like THIS send you into precipitated withdrawal? I've heard that this doesn't because precipitated withdrawal only occurs if there isn't any Suboxone in your system. Does anyone know if this is true?

Thanks in advance!

bupe can take quite a while to leave you system fully, especially if you have a slow metabolism, so there's a risk ༼ ༎ຶ ෴ ༎ຶ༽ymmv

I've heard that this doesn't because precipitated withdrawal only occurs if there isn't any Suboxone in your system. Does anyone know if this is true?

not quite sure what you meant by this though... could you clatify plz mate
also, siqqq username man! you from the UK too?

You wouldn't go into full precipitated withdrawal, in order for that you'd have to be fully dependant on oxy. However if you take subs too early it will knock all of the oxy straight off your receptors, it would be uncomfortable but wouldn't be anywhere near as bad as if dosing too early from a habit.

Keeping: sure man, so I'm going to be prescribed oxycodone after a surgery ill be having, but I take suboxone. My doctor says that as long as I take my suboxone with the oxy, I won't have any issues. It's when you stop the suboxone and take oxy, then try to restart the suboxone that it sends you into precipitated withdrawal. Somebody ELSE told me that as long as you still have buprenorphine in your system while going on an oxy binge or relapsing for a few days, if you start the suboxone after a week break from the buprenorphine, you WON'T go into precipitated withdrawal, because the bup is still attached to your receptor (albeit a small amount) and therefore, redosing on suboxone wont hurt because even if it pulls any oxy away from the receptor, the bup is already on the receptor from previous bup doses.
I hope this makes sense, it's a mouth full lol. And nawww, I'm not from the UK, just love that phrase but thank you!

Zebedee, thank you for the insight. That's kind of how I thought it'd work but I am a bit afraid to be my own guinea pig lol.