• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Suboxone induction not working this time, heroin still helping??

Piner5111

Greenlighter
Hi all,

I know the ins and outs of Suboxone induction have been discussed at great length here, but there's not much info available on my particular situation, or at least the info I have found have been full of conflicting opinions/views.

Here's the story - Was a long time IV heroin addict, about 10 years. After a couple major arrests, I decided to clean up and got on the methadone program. Stayed clean for over 5 years and this January 2015 I finally got off methadone. Things were going well until around March when I got both the flu and a terrible gum infection at the same time. Nothing was helping the pain for the gums, and I relapsed because the heroin was the only thing working. Used for about a month and realized how amazingly fast the claws get back into you. I was getting sick when I didn't have dope, so I decided to get on Suboxone. The induction went very well. I waited about 24 hours from my last dose and did the induction with a doctor who ended up giving me 12mg which alleviated all my withdrawal symptoms.

Went along on the Subs for a month or so, then passed my urine test when I renewed my prescription, and of course the addict in me though "well now I have a whole month until I get tested again, so I can start using!" Got off the suboxone, started using for about 2 months and the habit quickly grew to around 2 bundles/day (I live near NYC and am spoiled with quality #4 dope). Unfortunately I was also starting to get into crack and between both my money was going fast, my relationship was crumbling, and I was overall starting to get miserable. So this past weekend I decided to get back on Suboxone.

Here's where the problems start. Again, I waited about 24 hours until I sufficiently dope sick and popped my first 8mg tab (my insurance won't cover the strips unfortunately). No relief, so took another. No relief. Still felt like complete shit this first day whereas the first time I was feeling much better within an hour or so. I read online that doing a dose of dope during the induction can make the transition easier so, being the miserable sick mess I was, I got a dose - and voila - even on 24mg of Suboxone, the dose IMMEDIATELY made me feel 100x better. Granted I didn't get high, but there was a SIGNIFICANT improvement. That was last night. I took another 4mg suboxone before bed.

Woke up this morning took another 4mg as well as did 2 bags. Felt great. Got through work and started feeling crappy again. At this point - please understand I had over 36mg Suboxone in my system. I realize this is a waste of money and entirely too much Suboxone, but I was still feeling withdrawal symptoms. So once again I got a few bags and did my dose, and ONCE AGAIN felt much much better.

I'm confused. I was under the impression that Suboxone will tie to the receptors and block opiates from working, as well as alleviate withdrawal syptoms and help with cravings. It just doesn't seem to be working NEARLY as good as it did the first and second times I induced. I'm getting nervous that I'll never feel 100% with Suboxone and that my habit is just too high for the Suboxone to completely alleviate my symptoms. I don't see how this is possible after only 1 or 1.5 months of using since the last time I was on Suboxone. Granted my habit went from about 1 bundle a day to around 2, but still - I've seen people on here with much worse habits that are having good success with much lower doses of Suboxone. I also realize that sometimes "less is more" when it comes to Suboxone, but that ship has already sailed.

Does anyone have experience with this, or advice? Will things get better? Or am I fucked? I really really don't want to go back on a methadone clinic program. Hoping that the Suboxones will eventually do their thing but I would think by now they should be fully integrated into my system.

Any thoughts, help, or advice is greatly appreciated. I really don't want to keep using but it's the only thing that has been alleviating the aches & pains towards the end of the day. Thanks much for reading!

You think you can take high doses of bupe & then stamp to feel "normal" & then take more bupe before bed...
Yer purty funny

The point of my post is to ask why the induction didn't work the 2nd time around... I realize that using during a suboxone induction isn't smart, BUT I had enough Suboxone in me that it should have tied to the opiate receptors and the dope really shouldn't have helped much (but it did). I wasn't in precipitated withdrawals - these were normal opiate detox symptoms, and the dope helped even the next day. How is that possible? Is it possible that Suboxone could take 2+ days to start taking effect? Today is day number 3 and I'm finally starting the feel better. My point is that it worked in about an hour the first time, and took 3 days the second time. What's up with that?

no it is because you started your bupe too early so it put you into minor WD not full PWDs and you continue to shoot heroin so you are literally bouncing back and forth between the two, I would imagine that would feel shitty. Pick one or the other. Your doctor should be giving you more information on it, because you have literally no idea what you are doing.

1st .. Don't eat or drink anything at least 20 minutes after strip dissolves under tongue.

2nd .. Patience , patience...it takes time for Bupe to hit you. I normally feel better in about 30 minutes. Same with methadone, it's time released in pill form, so people don't give it time enough to work before redosing.

3rd...Dose twice daily, not all at once. Taking 16mg of Bupe will do no more justice than splitting an 8mg strip once in AM and once in PM.

Why even use bupe if you're not serious? The N in the bupe will block most of the heroin, so why waste money?

You're not going to feel amazing 1st day, sorry. It takes a few days of dosing bupe to feel some normalcy. Just be patient.

Why even use bupe if you're not serious? The N in the bupe will block most of the heroin, so why waste money?

You're not going to feel amazing 1st day, sorry.

It´s a process, it takes time and the objective is not to feel high but to deal with your addiction in a different manner.