• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Suboxone help for coming off heavy H run

RainyDay58

Greenlighter
I've been trying to quit. I tried cold turkey, then Subutex, and last Suboxone. I heard Suboxone was the wonder drug that would pretty much detox you symptom free. I've been doing around 20 bags a day. I began the morning with 4mg of Suboxone, but by noon I wasn't feeling any better and took 2mg more. Four hours later I gave up because I still had withdraw symptoms--runny nose, sneezing, watery eyes, running to the bathroom, hot and cold sweats, the works. My symptoms weren't as intense as cold turkey, but they still were miserable. Is detox on Suboxone always like this, or did I not take enough of it for how much heroin I've been doing? If I have to deal with the withdraw symptoms I will, but if I'm not dosing myself right and can detox more painlessly that would be great to know!

We don't know how strong your bags were

Suboxone ain't rly detox, its just another drug. That's legal.

Maybe try 6mg all at once next time, or 8. I dunno, I'm not a doctor :|

Subs work for most ppl, for some people they don't. They used to work for me, now try dont do shit. Even when they did work I had a bad habit like you, my dope was real high quality too, had to take like 24mg to get any relief the first few days. Ps the first 3 days or so are pretty rough for me even when the subs eventually worked, at first they just took the worst of the edge off.
I would at least double the amount of sub your taking. But you're doing it right by taking some, waiting an hour or two, taking a little more, waiting again, and just keep going til your stable. If you're not their by 32mg max, stop, it's reached it's ceiling. And don't expect it to be a miricle for everyone. Suboxone makes me feel like shit.

If you're sublingual ing it, just remember you should hold it under the tongue for at least 15 minutes or so. It does build up in your system and I find you don't really get a solid level of relief til day 2-3. I honestly wouldn't go above 8mg a day unless you plan on staying on it for some time cause that just makes it so much harder to get off.

Wow that's really terrible that it doesn't work for you. I really hope I'm not the same way! That was how I did it--I took 4mg when I woke up then 2mg 4 hours later and another 2mg probably an hour or so later. It does take the edge off but not enough for me to sit through class and then go to work. I could barely make it 15 minutes without running to the bathroom! I'm going to get more strips tomorrow and try it again knowing that I have enough to take as much as I need to get through! As long as I make it through those first three days I'm hoping I should be okay. Thank you for replying!

I don't plan on staying on it for a while. I just want to detox myself and then be done having to wake up and do any type of drug to feel okay, whether it's heroin or Suboxone. I definitely didn't hold it under my tongue for 15 minutes though..just long enough to let it dissolve and then swallowed. I'll try that next time. Thank you!

Saramajara, if Suboxone doesn't work for you what did you end up taking to get clean? Is there another option besides Subutex (which didn't work at all!) and Suboxone (which just barely worked)?

Rainy day, the average clinical dose of suboxone is 16-24mg. Not to say thats what every H head or opiod addict should be on such a dose. I Guess from expierience of being on suboxone on and off and been on anywhere from 8 mg a day to 24 a day, let me start by saying there is NO ONE on this earth that need more than 12-16 mg per day for maintenance, and if anyone tells you differently, well theyre just full of shit. I had the heaviest of habbits and found myself actually taking only half doses, so 4 mg a day got me off E, and 8 would make me feel warm and fuzzy.. Good luck and I Hope this was some help to you.

I also have some advice on a comfortably sub taper, if your interested PM me

Well, I'm not really "clean". I'm not using illegal drugs, and havnt for about 4 months, but I am on methadone maintenance. Before I got on mmtp, I did a 7 day methadone detox to get off dope, and even tho i didn't stay clean, it was the closet I've ever come to it from any detox program

Edit: but from reading your experience I wouldn't give up on subs if I were you! Like jada said, a lot of ppl need 12-24 ( is that right ) mg when the initially begin their taper. Try taking a larger dose and sticking it out for a few days, then begin tapering when you feel it's managable. I would not advise you to try methadone without fully exhausting all the possibilities of suboxone, even methadone detox. Methadone is a serious serious drug, a huge health, time, and financial commitment, and although I truly believe it saves by life, also believe it should only be used in last resort sitatuons, when all other routes have failed and failed again.

Good luck!!!!!

Last edited:
If you've been using heavy the first few days are gong to be rough. It doesn't mean the subs aren't working, it just means that you have to have a few days for your mind and body to adjust. It will feel much better than doing cold turkey, but chances are it's still going to be a depressing, crappy few days. It will only be a couple of days though. I've had some switches to sub go smoothly and I used to switch back and forth from dope/pills to sub with no problem. It's just sometimes harder if you've been using heavy for longer periods.

Judging from your post though I think you are definitely under-dosing. Those problems won't be as bad if you were on somewhere between 8-16mg, maybe even as high as 24mg. Judging from your habit, which is very vague, you would need more than 4mg at least for the first few days.

----
This isn't really all that important, but asking about a sub conversion from "two buns" is way too broad and subjective of a question. To better assess the situation you would have to give other details like if you're shooting or snorting, how long you've been using, or even the city where you're copping. Knowing which city will say more about the type of bags you have. Even in a small state like Connecticut there's a lot of diversity in the type of bags depending on where you are. If I go to Hartford the bundles are cheaper, but the bags are a lot smaller. If I go to New Haven the bags are more expensive, but they are bigger.

I started with Oxycontin about a year ago. I was doing around 100mg a day. Then I switched to heroin this past November. I got a tolerance for it very quickly and have been doing two buns a day for probably the past three months. I'm only snorting it, thankfully because I feel like if I had started shooting detoxing would be a lot worse for me. I live in PA. I've been getting it in Uniontown, but I don't like those ones as much so I normally get it in Belle Vernon. The bags are bigger there and I don't have to do as many bags at once to feel it.
Thank you everyone for all your help! Today is my first day--again--trying Subs. But this time I have 12 strips on hand, so I know I'll have enough to get me through without having to resort back to heroin. I'm excited to see how it goes today! I waited 12 hrs after my last dose and have started to feel some withdraw symptoms, but it's not bad yet so I figured I would take a sub before it gets unmanageable again.

this doesn't sound right at all,it should have worked if you took enough ,you can cut suboxone dose in half sooner than any other drug imo

You definitely have to hold it under your tongue for about 15mins. The BA whwn taken orally (when you swallow) is really really lower. I meaN, sublingual isnt too high either (check out the suboxone megathread!! Lots of good info) you can increase the BA quite a bit by gargling with some high proof liquor! Or, mouthwash with alcohol in it.

Hold it under your tongue till theres no more taste in your mouth...till it completely goes away. You weren't doing it properly. You should never need much over 8mg, you possibly took it too soon. Remember to wait 24hrs, or close to it...