• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Suboxone/Buprenorphine FAQ and Megathread v.1; 2007 - 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
After overdosing twice, going to rehab, and then relapsing I got on Suboxone mostly because of all the cravings and PAWS.

I wasn't physically dependent at the time, but still was prescribed 4mg of bupe.

That was over a year ago and looking back at things, I'm still kind of torn between whether I should have started taking bupe or not. I ended up relapsing several times on bupe and still had cravings. I quit taking bupe about a month ago though and haven't relapsed yet..

I'm not sure if you have ever used subs before but for the purpose of my post im assuming you havent. If thats true then becareful you don't take too much because it will make you extremely sick and you will vomit. Its always smart to start off at a low dose and take more if need be. With that said 30mg isnt that much oc at all, but you have been on it for 6 weeks everyday which is a decent amount of time. if you have access to more subs you should buy a couple more. but if thats all you have i would say the first one divide in 4, so 2mg for the next 4 days and do that with the second one as well. but divide one of the the 2mgs in half for the last two days. so 2mg for a week then see how you feel and use the last 1mg and 1mg when needed. ive used schedules similar to that at higher doses so see what works for you. good luck with everything

I agree with Always about the first four days, take 2mg sublingually (best BA). Then break the other one into 1mg, take that for four days, so you should have 4mg left. Break those in half, take 1/2mg four four days, and so on, you should be fine with very little withdrawals. Plus Suboxone has a long half-life, so the next day you may not have to take the 2mg, you can try every other day.

don't even bother taking the suboxone. 30mg for a month 1/2 will not bring that much withdrawal, unless you have a history of doing opiates prior to that.

I think you have enough suboxone. Like others have said, take 2mg... wait an hour... if you still feel like shit take another 2mg.

It should be obvious, but a lot of people have been posting on BL about it and it is really troubling.

If you have been using opioids daily for 1 week, 2 weeks, a month, 2 months, unless you have been an addicted to opioids previously, or have already shown definite physical withdrawal syndrome, you not only do not need to use any Buprenorphine, but doing so will raise your chances of being opioid dependant!.

The thread that was merged into this thread, i.e. the posts directly above this one, is a great example.

The op has been using Oxycodone daily for 1.5 months, picked up Suboxone, and now wants to do a Buprenorphine 'taper'. However, he most likely has not developed the metabolic conditions that would cause withdrawal syndrome yet.

Buprenorphine is a potent, long acting opioid. It has a nasty habit of quickly raising tolerance in people who use it daily.

If the OP has been using opioids, Oxycodone, daily for 1.5 months, lets say 45 days- he now has 16mg Buprenorphine. Well, he starts at 2mg a day. Does that for a few days. Then 1.5mg a day, and so on. He can probably stretch that 16mg for another month, maybe more.

On top of that, it takes several days for the Buprenorphine to metabolise and finally leave his system after a few weeks or a month or more than a month of daily Buprenorphine use.

By the end of this Oxycodone use, and this Buprenorphine 'taper', instead of just 45 days of daily, low dose Oxycodone use, he has almost if not doubled the number of days he has been using opioids daily.

Buprenorphine is also more potent than Oxycodone, much more potent. 2mg a day of Bupe for someone who has only been using 30mg of Oxycodone a day is most likely too much to begin with.

Point being, if he wasn't physically dependant on opioids when he started using the Bupe (odds are he is not), there is a much better chance that he is now.

It is always good to be vigilant about your own use and to keep tabs on your mind and body, and recognize if you have a problem.

But if you have not shown signs that you are dependant on opioids, you do not need to use Buprenorphine. It's that simple. If you aren't sure, do not consume an opioid for 2 half lives of the drug you have been using or abusing. If by the end of that time you are not experiencing physical symptoms of withdrawal, there is no need for Buprenorphine. Do not make your situation needlessly worse.

When a doctor prescribes suboxone/methadone, do they require urine tests for continuation?

Depends on the doctor.

Mine would give random surprise tests every so often. I tested positive for weed everytime, but he didn't care about that.

I get on suboxone on wednesday and they said they will have me do drug tests and give me a 24 hour heads up, i was wondering if they would get mad for weed. i love weed, ha. so i hope they don't care...

When a doctor prescribes suboxone/methadone, do they require urine tests for continuation?

I was on bupe for over and my doctor never once hinted at drug testing me. Then he moved to another clinic and on the second visit, the nurses wanted to drug test me. The nurse said it was against the law for a doctor to prescribe bupe without having a record of a drug test on file. Which is bullshit.

ive been on bupe for about a year now. the only time my doc drug tested me was the very first visit. and i think that drug test is to test to see if u have opiates in your system. they dont care what shows up, they just wanna make sure u are on opiates already before they put you on more.

I was on bupe for over and my doctor never once hinted at drug testing me. Then he moved to another clinic and on the second visit, the nurses wanted to drug test me. The nurse said it was against the law for a doctor to prescribe bupe without having a record of a drug test on file. Which is bullshit.

Speaking of which, does anyone know what some of the laws surrounding bupe docs are?

My doctor was saying that there is a limit of 100 patients per doctor and that the DEA forbids them from seeing more than 100 people.

Speaking of which, does anyone know what some of the laws surrounding bupe docs are?

My doctor was saying that there is a limit of 100 patients per doctor and that the DEA forbids them from seeing more than 100 people.

Current Status of the 30 - 100 Patient Limit

Currently authorized physicians under DATA-2000 who have submitted their original "intent" at least one year ago can
now treat up to 100 patients. Click here to learn how. Other DATA-2000 certified physicians are limited to 30 patients.

http://naabt.org/30_patient_limit.cfm

Theres the link to the entire DATA2000 legislation, and the amendment text.

It's very short and easy to understand.

The DATA 2000 act prohibits a doctor from having more than 100 patients on suboxone maintenance. This is an attempt to make suboxone NOT like methadone.

It might be required by state law, but federally, no. I was on suboxone without one drug test.

Your doctor is right. It used to be a lower number, something like 30 or 60 people.

I don't think a doctor has to legally drug test his or her bupe patients though. I have a friend who goes to the same bupe doctor and the nurses told him a completely different explanation of why they had to drug test him.

Federal law mandates at least 8 (now 12 I believe) drug screens per MMT patient per year. Individual clinics have to at least abide by this, many will institute more than this minimum amount of urine tests.

Burpenorphine programs run in an MMT clinic do the same usually.

Bupe docs are not mandated by the Federal government to do drug tests. However, many Bupe docs opt to do so.

Mine didn't, but thats because he was crooked.

Drug testing should be required in any treatment program. But, that doesn't mean I think those results should be used in a punitive fashion- which is unfortunately the only way a lot of medical professionals know how to use them.

Status
Not open for further replies.