• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Suboxone and xanax?!

pahn

Bluelighter
Hi all. i've been on suboxone maintenance for a while and just tapered down to 10mg a day, which i snort for the BA. i usually snort 5mg in the morn and 5mg at night. anyway i also have terrible anxiety, and i was told that docs DO NOT prescribe benzos wit bupe anymore unless under dire circumstances because of how "deadly" the respiratory depression is. Years and years ago i was on suboxone maintenance at 16mg a day while also prescribed ativan AND klonopin so i was a bit skeptical bout how "deadly" the combo is. I was even on methadone maintenance for about 9 months before (80mg liquid dose daily) and i was taking non prescribed xanax anywhere between 1-6mg without ever having any issues.

the thing is that my anxiety is REALLY acting up again to the point that i went to the ER and they gave me a few day script for .5mg klonopin which helped me immensely! i was actually kinda surprised because i thought i would still have a decent benzo tolerance, and kpins never really did much to me, but if i took 1mg of kpins now i can definitely feel the effects. anyway, i cant get into the doc to get a normal script of kpins until 5 weeks from now and i ran out of my kpins. i tried to find more, but could only get .5mg xanax which is VERY easy for me to attain. today i popped around .75mg of xanax and it started to make me fall asleep almost immediately. i took them at around 4PM and i got home and snorted my second dose of 5mg bupe. the drowsiness is pretty bad, and i feel moderately dizzy but nothing too serious at the moment. im not feeling "fucked up" by any means just nodding out every cpl mins.

im just a bit concerned with how tired its making me feel and hearing all the hype about how "deadly" the respiratory depression can be mixing it. im not worried about blacking out or anything right now, but i am kinda worried about falling asleep and not waking up which is basically what my sub doc scared me with. i do work 80 hr weeks at a high stress job and last night i only got about 3 hrs of sleep so im sure thats factoring in with my symptoms but should i be worried about this? is there anything i could do to ease my mind? i know im prolly worrying over nothing, like i said i used to take a 4mg xanax on top of my 80mg methadone dose like it was nothin. i rly didnt think .75mg was gonna hit me this hard, should i hold off falling asleep as long as i can? any advice or input would be greatly appreciated. thanks guys!

i think its more about handing a highly addictive substance to a drug addict and saying "use them responsibly". im on 32 bupe 2nd daily and have (way to much) benzos and havent had any problems, but never say never. i dont know

Whats with snorting bupe? are you on pills or films. the films are annoying as hell to hold in your mouth, and everyone thinks your really rude for not responding

Well i held off sleeping as long as i could, then slept like a rock for about 14 hrs! i cant believe i had such a strong reaction, like i said i used to take WAY more xanax than that on top of methadone and never felt like that. i guess i'll just use a lower dose from now on until my tolerance builds back up. oh and billbuilds- i take 8mg suboxone pills. they wanted to give me the strips, but i fucking HATE them! i just told my doc i wanted the pills because the strips seem to cause headaches (which is true), but i really just wanted the pills so i can snort em. you dont get "high" from snorting em, but the bioavailabilty is MUCH better so snorting 2mg would be about the equivalent of say 4mg sublingualy. Dont quote me on those numbers, but i do know the BA is much better snorting em. not to mention you dont have to deal with that god awful orange/asshole taste in your mouth for a damn half hour. plus i cant stand trying to position the damn things directly under my tongue, and i feel like i end up just swallowing most of it and wasting it. fuck that. crush em up and snort em. its not for everybody, it does do some damage to your nasal cavity and lungs, just as snorting ANYTHING would do. but as far as i know it isnt dangerous by any means to snort them. i have heard that snorting them can make wd's worse. theres plenty of threads bout BA and suboxone administration routes. always do research before taking anything, or changing your administration route. bluelight has saved my life a hundred times over!

i think its more about handing a highly addictive substance to a drug addict and saying "use them responsibly". im on 32 bupe 2nd daily and have (way to much) benzos and havent had any problems, but never say never. i dont know

Whats with snorting bupe? are you on pills or films. the films are annoying as hell to hold in your mouth, and everyone thinks your really rude for not responding

32mg of bupe daily?! You could probably get by on 1/2 that with no discernible physical or physiological difference.

And to the OP, if your tolerant to both benzos and bupe then you will be fine taking therapeutic prescribed doses. Don't get me wrong, it can definitely be a dangerous combo for those who don't have any tolerance and should not be taken lightly, but the issues tend to arise when people are taking high doses of benzos with full agonist opiates at recreational doses that their bodies are not accustomed to. Respiratory despression can become a very real danger in those doses.

Doctors tend to tell patients anything to justify their rules for not scripting/allowing their patients to take benzos when on maintenance meds, but as your first hand experience has shown, its not a lethal combo in all cases, but doctors like to generalize to cover themselves.

Last edited:
very well said. I understand exactly where the docs are comin from and everything, my whole deal was for two years i was on 16mg bupe AND 2mg klonopin AND 1mg ativan daily and NEVER had any problems. I definitely NEED some sort of benzos with my anxiety issues, and initially the doc was like no...we cant prescribe both. then after i went to the ER and the doctor there was like...uh...yeah you definitely need to be on benzos and wrote me a partial script I went back to my bupe doc and she did a complete 180! she was like oh yeah i think that klonopin would be a great asset for you. just make sure to take it as prescribed.