News Street Opioids Cut with Popular Allergy Medicine Leads to More Overdoses

RUC4

Bluelighter
Allergy Meds in Street Opioids Make Overdoses More Deadly

By Ernie Mundell
13 October 2022
HealthDay Reporter

Excerpts
A new study is sounding the alarm about the addition of antihistamines to street forms of opioids — and how they might make a fatal overdose more likely.
The prime drug in question is diphenhydramine, found commonly in over-the-counter allergy meds such as Benadryl.
Because opioid use can spur itchy skin in people who misuse the drugs, diphenhydramine is often mixed into street formulations to curb that symptom.
In fact, “nearly 15% of overdose deaths during 2019-2020 were antihistamine-positive,” said researchers led by Amanda Dinwiddie. She's with the CDC’s Division of Overdose Prevention at the National Center for Injury Prevention and Control.
Diphenhydramine is very sedating. So when a person overdoses on an opioid, the addition of diphenhydramine makes the “rescue” drug naloxone less effective.

Why in the fuck would the greed monsters add this? They wouldn't
They might actually. Seems like they’re adding anything to make buyers feel more fucked up. Whatever is cheap and perpetuates the high the most is their goal.

I’ve heard/read about even middlemen cutting their shit with something to give it that little extra zest. A coke dealer who adds no-dose or crushed caffeine pills, and a heroin/fent dealer adding sleep meds and even niquil. I knew a guy who sprayed his coke with acetone to give it a more chemical smell because he thought that brought people back.

I honestly don’t think they give a shit. Whatever makes them money.

They might actually. Seems like they’re adding anything to make buyers feel more fucked up. Whatever is cheap and perpetuates the high the most is their goal.

I’ve heard/read about even middlemen cutting their shit with something to give it that little extra zest. A coke dealer who adds no-dose or crushed caffeine pills, and a heroin/fent dealer adding sleep meds and even niquil. I knew a guy who sprayed his coke with acetone to give it a more chemical smell because he thought that brought people back.

I honestly don’t think they give a shit. Whatever makes them money.
could be.. but adding caffeine to coke and antihistamines to fent seems stupid silly?