• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Strange reaction: DXM while in opiate withdrawal.

Woodsong

Bluelighter
This actually happened about a month ago, but I wanted to see if I could get some feedback on wtf might have been going on...

I was at my boyfriend's house staying the night, was in moderate opiate withdrawal (horrible RLS, but that was my biggest complaint), and I also had bronchitis, and was on the antibiotic doxycycline. (My habit was around 120-180mg of oxy a day... I had been somewhat maintaining on loperamide and kratom... [Edit: Til I could get some more roxies...])

I took two Mucinex for my bronchitis, at a total of 60mg of DXM, and tried going to bed a couple hours later as the Mucinex was making me feel pretty wonky. I remember my boyfriend waking me up briefly a while later, and I was shaking really bad, the sheets were soaked with sweat around me, I had erratic breathing, and the RLS had doubled... He told me later that it scared him pretty badly, which kinda made me feel bad... I really hate him seeing me like that, but he understands my situation...

Anyone have any idea what kind of reaction might have been going on? My state of withdrawal returned to normal when I woke up the next morning, so I guess it only lasted a couple hours or so, I don't really remember the experience very well... I've heard of DXM having some kind of mild opiate antagonism(?) action, but I don't really know the nature of it at all... Could it maybe have been some sort of precipitated withdrawal or something..? =/

Last edited:
sounds like fairly standard withdrawal + sickness to me, but i'm not sure about DXM's interactions with opiate receptors or opiate withdrawal. i don't think DXM can cause precipitated WD

Maybe "precipitated" wasn't the word I was looking for... Exacerbated, perhaps?

I dunno, but I was back to my previous normal state of shittiness in the morning...

That blows

And na it wasnt precipitated withdrawal.. DXM can lower your tolerance or maintain it from sky rocketing when you combine it with an opiate.. you were just probably feeling sick + the effects of the DXM and Mucinex combined with WDs

what were you withdrawaling off of? how many days into?

I was feeling like garbage last night, got my methadone this morning, feeling waaay better

@nash__
Oxy, usually between 120-180mg a day... Probably about a day and a half in, but I was trying to maintain with loperamide (mostly), and some kratom...

This is interesting. Early in my poppy seed tea days I had read all the greatness about DXM so took about 60-75 mg with my tea. I was already feeling good as tea stays with you a while.

What I did back then was make a pot at night. Then wake up still feeling it and put the 2nd strain in a gatorade bottle and drink that all day through the work day.

Well, I added the dxm and about 10 minutes later I was on the toilet with fluid shooting out of my body. The most alarming being the sweat that was litterally puddling on the floor. I dont think its possible that I could have been worse.

That had to be full blown opiate withdrawal. Instantly.

I was back to normal in about 30 minutes and actually felt good the rest of the night.

I notice the people who dismissed the OP also added that it helped keep tolerance at bay..

Did you guys consider how it does this?

There must be a low level of antagonism going on. Maybe so subtle that the affects arent perceptible to people on higher dosages. I think I was at 50g at that time and as I said it would last 24 hours.

Anyway, needless to say I havent taken DXM since. Although I would imagine my highs were better for the next few days.

I also guess that going from high to full blown withdrawal instantly is what precipitated withdrawal is. Although at the time I had no idea what either felt like.

I just had a similar experience with u47700 which made me think of it.

Worst night in a long time. Maybe it doesnt work for me. I did notice it insufflated while I still had my doc in my system at as little as 40 mg.

I took an oral dose before bed and was in WD about 2 hours later, never falling asleep. I took 100mg oral and was still very uncomfortable and MR Selfridge was making me cry. I didnt even cry after Forrest Gump or Philadelphia and normally dont cry during TV.

Was an awful night. After 5 hours of this I went and did a half dose of my doc and a double dose of benzos to finally get some sleep.

Sorry for 2 part post.

Moral of story. My tolerance is either ridiculous, U47700 is some useless stuff, the batch I got is useless, or my body doesnt metabolize it properly orally and Im over insufflation...Duration too short and too rough on the nose. The WD plus the nasal damage had me unable to breath at all through it, which was very unpleasant.

Now Im either going to throw it out or try plugging as that seemed to yield the best results with everything I read. It seems a bit caustic to be putting there. Ive never done it so if someone could please tell me the best way to do it I would appreciate it.

I trip on DXM when i'm about to go into wd from opiates, it will stop the WD issues. I trip on a very high dose of dxm though. 900mg and higher