• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Storing blotter paper in amber glasses vials ?

Also, I like the whole "storage" thing. It's kind of like a hobby to nerd around with how to best store it ;) And while I agree that lysergamides are much more stable than what people generally think, I still think it makes sense to want to keep it "fresh" as long as possible.

Can't hurt, right?

So what will the oxygen absorbers will do ? Should I remove them? I dont think even If I let them it will change something so...

No, just leave them. Worst case they were unnecessary. You've done everything you can, and it's working fine for other people. :)

^^ I agree about the "overthinking it" part, but I have had the best, strongest LSD blotters I ever had turn almost inactive in the course of 5 years, it was stored in a ziplock bag in a drawer. And that is a bummer.
Just in a ziplock bag and a drawer at room temp? I have mine wrapped in foil, put into ziplocks, then further put into mason jars; at room temperature is this a sufficient method of storage for 5+ years?

I don't know.......I just know what happened to these blotters I had back then - I guess it needs to be mentioned that they also were with me for one month in Thailand before I ate them. It's very hot and humid there.

There's that classic story on Erowid about some Sandoz acid that had been stored in liquid in a vial for 50+ years, and still was fully potent as the day it was made. I can't really make sense of it. In my experience LSD in liquid solution is less stable, and will go off in a few years.

So it's all rather confusing, I just have my own experiences to go off, and taking good drugs that lost their potency is just such a bummer :)

People usually say that ketamine is very stable, but I've also had really good ketamine loose some of it's potency in 4 years time or so, and that was even stored in a vial in the freezer. It went from being really good to becoming mediocre ketamine.

I always thought the story about the sandoz L was crystal.

Kind of like the Crystal that's buored out somewhere around palm desert. I imagine if it's sealed well then that would make it viable.....no light, moisture and the temperature wouldn't be an issue

I'd do something like what kishka did if I had enough....but down to under 20 hits and seeing as I eat the 1p on average of 250mcg that will be gone within the next 18 months

It was powder: "When opened, the powder was a very light brown-sugar to salmon color. One chemist described the fluffy, clumpy, sparkly crystalline powder as looking like 'crushed needles'."

Ah, that makes much more sense. I don't know were I got the idea that it was stored in a liquid.

I wonder if sandoz packaged those ampoules with an inert gas? I bet they did not.
This has been a really interesting and useful thread.

The rate of reaction of O2 with LSD at ambient temperature in the absence of light and moisture is so small as to be negligible. Using a small amount of desiccant isn't a bad idea though. Water reacts with LSD by addition to the alkene. Oxygen has to wait for a free radical to show up so that it can be knocked out of the triplet state, which is why it is much more reactive at high temperatures than low temperatures. Also, light penetrates your desk far more easily than you think, unless it's made of metal.

IMHO if you don't own your own freezer you shouldn't be storing LSD long-term. If you have kids, get something like this.

Last edited:
Great post Atara.

I'd also add that if you have kids (or irresponsible house mates) you should keep your drugs in some kind of locking safe.

I agree that storing them in the amber vials will work, but remember if you DO get access to a fridge or freezer in the future BE SURE TO LET THEM WARM TO ROOM TEMP BEFORE OPENING! Otherwise you will get condensation inside your vial and your blotters may be phucked.

The rate of reaction of O2 with LSD at ambient temperature in the absence of light and moisture is so small as to be negligible. Using a small amount of desiccant isn't a bad idea though. Water reacts with LSD by addition to the alkene. Oxygen has to wait for a free radical to show up so that it can be knocked out of the triplet state, which is why it is much more reactive at high temperatures than low temperatures. Also, light penetrates your desk far more easily than you think, unless it's made of metal.

IMHO if you don't own your own freezer you shouldn't be storing LSD long-term. If you have kids, get something like this.

Hi,

I don't plan storing my blotters in a freezer/frigde. I think my storage method is fine, my vials are placed in metallic box, in a closet at a room temperature of 15° Celsius in the dark, should be good ! Thanks for the info tho :)

So, just to confirm, is there any problem with having a blotter in direct contact with the silica gel packets? I'm thinking about putting blotters in a amber vial, and then opening a silica gel pack and pouring the silica gel pellets into the vial until it's full. This would displace the air, as well as suck up moisture, plus be easier than trying to squeeze a silica gel packet into a small vial.

Maybe I'll just wrap them in aluminum foil first anyways, but seems like some people think that's a bad idea.

So, just to confirm, is there any problem with having a blotter in direct contact with the silica gel packets? I'm thinking about putting blotters in a amber vial, and then opening a silica gel pack and pouring the silica gel pellets into the vial until it's full. This would displace the air, as well as suck up moisture, plus be easier than trying to squeeze a silica gel packet into a small vial.

Maybe I'll just wrap them in aluminum foil first anyways, but seems like some people think that's a bad idea.

I know that some silica gel has an indicator which activates when they're at capacity, and that this indicator often consists of a toxic substance. So I'd certainly avoid those ones, at least. Same goes for the OP. :)

Last edited:
There doesn't seem to be any fact based reasoning behind that though, the more I've asked around about why foil isn't to touch blotter, the more people have told me there's no worries and that they've kept blotter good in foil for 2+ years. For now, I'm leaving mine in foil.

Edit: sorry, I meant to say - is there a problem with having the tabs in direct contact with the actual silica gel pellets (not just the enveloped packet).

V thanks Tranced. I think I will wrap my tabs in aluminum foil and embed them in the silica gel pellets. LMK if anyone still thinks the foil is a bad idea, and why. Maybe cellophane/plastic wrap would be better?

The idea is to keep out UV, yes. Also in the case of storing it nestled in silica gel beads, the idea would be to keep a physical barrier between the tabs and the silica gel, which may contain weird chemicals you don't want to ingest.

I think if you keep they dry, out of direct sunlight at room temperature in a glass jar they will last for a minimum of several lifetimes with no loss of potency.

I remember the hilarious advice about al-lad - "HIGHLY UNSTABLE!!" - I've had some in a drawer for 3 or 4 years and it's as potent as the day I got it. I've no doubt it will be as potent long after we are all gone.