• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Storing blotter paper in amber glasses vials ?

Awesome to hear !

Also It is ok if the blotter are in contact, I assume it's no danger since they all contains the same substance (I mean they are touching each others in the baggie

Thank you then :) I'm so happy. Hope it will last a few years at least ...

Yeah as long as they're dry that should be fine. I like your idea of wrapping the vials in foil.

What do you mean as long as they're dry? I just mean I put all the blotters in one baggie then but the baggie in that amber glass vial. So blotters are in contact between them, shouldn't be a problem isn't it?

It's perfectly fine if they touch. Also if you can't refrigerate or freeze, if you have a basement, they're cooler than other parts of the house making them useful for preservation as well...

Yes, they are in the closet. Also keep in mind that the amber glass vial are cold since it's glasses.

At the moment it's a bit hot due to hot temperature (28.1 Celsius) but shouldn't be a problem. I have a fan running on :)

Oh yeah they defintely be fine for years to come. Just suggesting since some people can be pretty OCD about blotter storage, especially when they've got a supply. I remember reading a story about a large LSD stash buried somewhere in the southwestern US desert during the seventies that was lost and never recovered. It'd be super interesting to see how it held up(in the desert so not likely there would be anything but still it would be cool if a tiny amount of LSD endured...).

@ Psood - It's the temperature... Prolonged exposure to 18°-27°C is not a healthy environment for this class of chemicals. Ideally, they should be kept at -20°C, which is much colder than an average home freezer. That said, at 2°C, and properly stored with desiccant and oxygen absorbers, these compounds should last more than just a handful of years. The same applies to the tryptamines; phenethylamines are much sturdier, but it's still good practice to keep them comfy. Regarding the rice, Kishka should use it, because she has only three or four desiccant baggies.
That's what I had thought until reading about Erowid's experiment with some old Sandoz LSD (not blotters, though):
Erowid.org said:
Although the vial was completely sealed, without cracks, one of the major questions was whether there would be significant loss of potency by degradation as a result of the 55 years that had passed since it was manufactured. After trying it, the predominant opinion among the more than 70 participants and observers was that there was no detectable loss in potency. This was the clearest result from the reported experiment: air-tight brown glass appears to be a very effective long-term storage method for LSD. After 55 years, stored at varying room temperatures, the LSD seemed to be fully potent.
Source

Kishka should go try on a pair of shoes and drop the silica into her own if she needs desiccants on the quick, then pop by a gas station for some beef jerky oxygen absorbers (or the Swedish equivalent -- dried fish? ... you guys have beef jerky at "petrol" stations?).

Last edited:
Any further clarification as to why aluminum foil shouldn't be contacting blotter? All my blotters are wrapped in foil at the moment... am I destroying my LSD stash and not realizing it??!

That's what I had thought until reading about Erowid's experiment with some old Sandoz LSD (not blotters, though):

Source

Kishka should go try on a pair of shoes and drop the silica into her own if she needs desiccants on the quick, then pop by a gas station for some beef jerky oxygen absorbers (or the Swedish equivalent -- dried fish? ... you guys have beef jerky at "petrol" stations?).

Hi,

I already have the sillica in my amber glass :)

@ Kishka - The silica will keep out moisture, while the oxygen absorbers will reduce the amount of air in there. You should use both.

@ Psood - Thanks for that link. Those Sandoz vials were something... The vial in question was merely kept in the dark and relatively cool, yet the material survived mostly intact. It did change color and texture, but that was all. Amazing. I will still keep all of my compounds properly stored, though... That can't hurt.

@lamanogaucha, I'm gonna buy some oxygen absorbers, btw my storage is still good? :)

EDIT: It's OK I added an oxygen absorbers from one of those Jerky Beef in the vial and I also added an oxygen absorbers from noodles pack in the 1P-LSD vial. My vials may smell like beef now but whatever at least my blotters are safe. They are still all put in one baggie so I guess only the baggie will smell beef =D

Should be good :)

Last edited:
The beef smell will gradually disappear... Your blotters should now last a long time. Good job.

Any further clarification as to why aluminum foil shouldn't be contacting blotter? All my blotters are wrapped in foil at the moment... am I destroying my LSD stash and not realizing it??!

No, don't worry. Tinfoil is fine. I don't know were the idea that tinfoil is bad comes from, but it's not true.

I have some comments to this thread.

First, I'm not so sure that oxygen absorbers are that great to use, I suppose it depends on what kind you've got. (sorry for exacerbating your OCD, Kishka)

From wiki:
"The moisture requirement of iron-based scavengers makes them ineffective in moisture sensitive applications."
wikipedia.org/Oxygen_scavenger

I'd love it if someone more savvy in chemistry, who has a better understanding of the process of rusting, could tell us if that process is actually a good thing to have going on beside your acid.
Best case it'd actually just not work, because the dessicants taken all the moisture in the first place. Think about it, you never get a dessicant and an oxygen absorber in the same food package, it's always one or the other.

I've personally chosen to only go with dessicants, and no oxygen absorber. But I'm using argon too at the moment, which is probably overkill and quite finicky to work with, And there's really no way of knowing if it makes a difference. So I don't know if I can recommend it (if you're planing to store something for 30 years+ it probably is a good precaution though.)

Secondly, on the topic of fridges and freezers. I don't understand how people dare to put their blotters in there. I put my blotters in the fridge with a lot of dessicants for some months, and when I took them out the dessicants were all soggy. That is not a good environment for blotters!

I'm keeping all my "powdered" chemicals in the usual amber vials in the freezer and that's worked great for many, many years. So I don't know really..... has any one here really managed to keep their blotters completely dry in a freezer? Because there's no point in keeping them at -20 c if they get exposed to moisture, which is much worse than a little heat imo.

I think people really overthink this stuff. LSD seems to be the best portrayal of this. Always told to be so terribly unstable but the majority of people find this untrue as long as your smart enough to not expose it to stupid situations. I do understand though when you have sheets comes with the worry of proper long term storage but I still think people drive themselves too mad over it. Stored in a basement with the proper conditions, I doubt you'd see degradation even years later...

^^^ abOlutely true^^^

Keep em dry and out of the light and cool and a sheet will last for years with no issues

I think people really overthink this stuff. LSD seems to be the best portrayal of this. Always told to be so terribly unstable but the majority of people find this untrue as long as your smart enough to not expose it to stupid situations. I do understand though when you have sheets comes with the worry of proper long term storage but I still think people drive themselves too mad over it. Stored in a basement with the proper conditions, I doubt you'd see degradation even years later...

^^ I agree about the "overthinking it" part, but I have had the best, strongest LSD blotters I ever had turn almost inactive in the course of 5 years, it was stored in a ziplock bag in a drawer. And that is a bummer.

I will say though, that what Kishka is doing really is enough, and it really is all she can do. But if the oxygen absorbers makes no difference, why go through the trouble of putting them in there?

So why would blotters get exposed to moisture in that environment and not powder?

Yeah, that's the thing. I think my powder is actually getting a bit of moisture too, but probably only on the top layer if the vial is packed. On the other hand, a blotter is going to work like a sponge and suck the moisture in and distribute it among the LSD. Also phenethylamines are more stable, I generally avoid buying large amounts of tryptamines because I know they're not going to keep that well anyway.

You can check yourself, put some dessicant in a jar, and then put that in the fridge or freezer, take it out some months late and see if the dessicant feels moist. But anyway, I was actually asking a question, has anybody had succes with storing their blotters dry in the freezer for many years? And how?