• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Starting methadone today

That is good to know. I have awhile to reach 80. If I had stayed on the 32mg suboxone I'm guessing my dose would be higher, although he did mention something about being the law to start on 30 as it affects everyone differently and overdose is more likely than on subs, and hard to tell exactly someone's tolerance. I will see him tomorrow night and hopefully we will crank it up. I do feel like using still but I'm determined not to. Just feel empty and bored and definitely something missing that's for sure.

I had to start at 25mgs. It was stupid but there's all kinds of stupid hoops to go through unfortunately.

Oh right! So even lower than me. I feel ok today but definitely needs upping a fair bit. It's not lasting through the night and I'm even dropping my kids early at school to get to the chemist ASAP (which they actually like, I'm not doing them a disservice!)

So how quickly did your dose to go up to where you needed it to be? I see the dr tonight as he only did a 3 day script. I had an appt tomorrow night but the chemist informed me he wouldn't be able to dose me Friday. I can dose at the dr surgery as there is a chemist there but my appt isn't until 8.30pm which really means 930-10, ill use if I have to wait that long. So tonight it is.

Should I just tell him I feel better as in not it awful withdrawals and I am getting some sleep but definitely not where it needs to be? He did say it would increase so probably no need to be concerned. I am proud to be able to tell him honestly that I haven't used (apart from a stack of codeine each night as a last ditch attempt which was useless.)

Just tell him it's not holding you for 24 hours. It's normal I don't think they will be resistant to raising your dose.

No he won't, he said it would increase and its just protocol. Can't wait to find my happy dose.
Thanks for continuing to reply to my thread :). Nobody in real life knows about any of this so this and a couple of maintenance friendly NA meetings is all I have.

So I only had a 3 day script. When I saw the dr he said come and see me Thursday or Friday, so I made an appt for Friday night (today) but ended up racing over last night when I found out I didn't have a script for this morning. He normally works and takes walk ins until 8pm but I drove 40 minutes over there as soon as my husband got home for the kids and they had randomly closed early :((((. Got there around 7.30pm and I even checked the website opening hours before I left! Not too happy. Was so stressed as he's not in until tonight and my appt is 830pm ?. So I've used today. I was already sick last night and going downhill fast this morning. So disappointed as I was really enjoying not using and hiding things and my arms are healing already. I did try a bunch of condeine first which may as well have been jelly beans :(

But I have to run around for the kids until late and I just wasn't going to make it. Really upset about it, can't wait until I am on a stable dose and have my monthly scripts back. Will be back on track from tonight as long as I get in to see him before the pharmacy there shuts so he can dose me tonight. I will tell him I used but only a tiny amount and very early in the morning so hoping he still lets me dose or ill be sick overnight and I do not want to have to get on again :(

Any reasonable doctor prescribing methadone as ORT should basically expect new patients to continue using to a degree during the first month or three of stabilization.

That said, I'd be super pissed about your situation. You not able to access your ORT medication like this is unacceptable. I wouldn't necessarily suggest getting confrontational with the pharmacy or doctor about this, but definitely (firmly) voice your concern about not getting your medication and in the situation where you end up using to fill the gap like this and you STRONG desire and motivation to maintain sobriety and properly use ORT. And obviously that won't be possible if you randomly miss days of taking your medication :\

As cj said, you basically should be pushing for dosage increases until your dose hold you and staves off cravings for a full 24hrs. This might mean 30mg for some people. For others it means 180mg. For most longer term users it seems to be around 80mg. Totally individual.

I don't really understand how the system works where you are but I would be fucking pissed. What good is a 3 day prescription? He strait set u up for failure honestly. As far as dose goes I highly recommend you keep it under 100mg unlike my dumbass. I am paying the price right now for running my dose up way too high when I was just getting on it.

Thanks guys. Yeah it was not at all ideal. He's just doing a few days at a time at the moment so he can monitor me and the dose. It wasn't great though as he told me 'come and see me Thursday or Friday' so I made the appt Friday and only raced over Thursday night because the chemist told me! When I got there after a 45 minute drive and saw the empty car park and I just stood and the door with my hands in the air and wanted to cry.

I am over it and definitely didn't get angry with anyone over it, absolutely not the chemists fault, he's great. If it had been suboxone he would have given it to me anyway as my old dr was always slack with faxing my monthly scripts through but he knew they would come eventually. The methadone is too new for me so his hands were tied.

I did make sure I told the dr of my predicament and he could see how sick I was when I got there. He didn't actually ask at all if I had used since starting the new med and I wasn't much in the mood for conversation, I just wanted to get that dose in me. Took about 2 hours for the urge to vomit to go away. This time I have 5 day a script and I checked with him 3 times after he faxed it plus checked with the chemist today that I actually have a dose for the day of my next appt and I do. I do not want to use again!!!!

Re the dose. I still have a fair way to go I think. I'm starting to feel human during the day and even a bit motivated but I could easily use at night as the nausea and restlessness sets in. Luckily this is the busiest time of day for me running kids around and I have gotten some sleep. Needing to use alot of promenthazine but that's ok. Having a dose of 40ml last night and then again early this morning, so closer together than normal, was good. Feeling very sick now though and have a takeaway sitting in the medicine cupboard which I could so easily take but I'm not willing to put myself through another day of withdrawals or risk using. Still tempting but I just won't.

I don't want my dose to get too high that's for sure. My suboxone ended up at 32mg as it just wasn't holding me for 24 hours - so I guess that worries me about the done, having to have it at the chemist I can't split it.

I appreciate you guys continuing to reply :). Thank you

I have found that my dose lasts longer if I eat a small amount before dosing. If I take it on a empty stomach then I end up feeling restless by the 20 hour mark. Something to try.

Interesting, someone on a fb group said the same thing. I always dose on an empty stomach, even with other drugs, I've always had this thing that they will work better/ faster on an empty stomach. Just a silly, ingrained belief. I will try eating!

I have found that my dose lasts longer if I eat a small amount before dosing. If I take it on a empty stomach then I end up feeling restless by the 20 hour mark. Something to try.

This so true. Methadone actually seems to work more effectively when consumed with some fatty food, like a donut ;)

I had a bowl of porridge at around 6am and dosed at 8 today. Not keen on eating fatty food everyday! Does it have to be fatty?!

So I won't be asking for anymore increase. I was fine apart from the fact that I was still getting sick around 5pm but the last 2 days after my increase I've felt stoned. Obviously we chase that feeling but I can't walk around like. Zombie and be nodding off all over the place. The first day I literally nodded for 2 hours and it took al day to be able to see straight. Today was a little better so I'm hoping my body adjusts. I'm surprised at the low dose compared to my suboxone but happy I won't have to go ashy higher for some time

Did you guys find this but it levelled out as your tolerance goes up?

Oh, and I just realised its 5.30 and I don't feel sick! That's a first since I've been on it! I've been taking so much other stuff to help my stomach and headaches but hopefully I won't have to anymore

Your tolerance will catch up with your dose relatively quickly. I bet you will be completely level within 10 days. Glad it's working so well for you! How is the craving control aspect?

Well done for taking the first step to recovery and positive changes! Methadone has been life changing for me and has given me much needed stability from the chaos of active heroin addiction. It did not take too long for me to reach a dose that kept me comfortable and withdrawal free for 24 hours of the day. Try not to be too hard on yourself for using as it is extremely common when initiating MMT as most clinics start around 30 to 40mg and that usually is not enough to 'hold' you. You are doing really well and it must be extremely stressful with family to worry about too. Keep posted and good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Yeah I figured that tolerance would rise pretty quickly, mine seems to with all drugs anyway ? but maybe that's because I push it.

This is the first night I haven't felt sick so I think I'll wait a week at least before seeing the dr again and go from there.

Cravings wise I'm actually fine. It's just such a relief to not be using but to still have some opiate coverage if that makes sense. Something the suboxone never gave me. I don't want the life I had just over a week ago. I'm even enjoying paying bills with the money I would have spent on H.

I only used the once last Friday and don't plan to again. Never say never but at this stage I feel good and am determined.

I'm a bit concerned as my husband does not support methadone at all and thinks 'you may as well be on heroin.' What he doesn't know is THAT I WAS ON HEROIN. And it's NOTHING LIKE BEING ON HEROIN or any kind of active addiction

..:..and he's just told me he has 10 days holidays from tomorrow. I don't want him to see me straight after I dose when I'm a little stoned as he will just think he's right and give me hell ?. Today wasn't as bad as yesterday so hopefully tomorrow and subsequent days will be ok.

I'm so glad to hear you've made these positive steps. While the rough feelings early on in maintenance suck, they'll almost surely pass...you're walking through the fire to get to the other side. Congratulations!

i'm really happy to see that even with a bit of a bump in the road, and needing to score to stay well, you're staying ndeterminded and making good progress.

keep it up girl! i'm proud of you - what you're doing is not easy, especially when you've found yourself backed into a corner, and having to keep your use secret from those close to you.

living hell, ain't it? :(
but you're making solid, positive changes, and that's something you ought to be commended on.

keep up the good work - you're doing great <3

My experience with people not supporting methadone is that they will come around in time. The proof is in the pudding so to speak in that your life is going to make a dramatic change for the better. No more sitting in ghetto parking lots no more randomly getting sick no more living your life tied to a drug dealer. Just keep your lane clean and he will come around.

Thanks heaps again, every one of you that has followed this thread and supported me. Just have to go run some errands before school pick up and soccer/dance runs but I will be back to reply properly :)

Feeling good today, less stoned than the last 2 days which is good as my husband is home. And I didn't feel sick last night and slept well so I think I'll leave the dose where it is for maybe 10 days and reasses.

It's just such a relief not to be running around trying to score and time everything perfectly to work around 6 other people. I know I keep saying that but I just can't express how much better this life is. Don't ever want to go back there -one day at a time!