• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Starting detox today. Need support.

RoadToRecovery

Greenlighter
I've been injecting oxycodone for the last 3 months. I've tapered down from 8 30mg pills every 2-3 hours to 4 20mg pills every 4 hours. I have one more dose left then I'm out. I will be doing my last shot around 6pm tonight and then waiting for the WDs to kick in. I have a supply of 8mg Suboxone strips on hand and have ordered Calm Support. How bad do the WDs need to get before I take my first dose of Subs? Last time I tried to detox, I took the Subs too soon and put myself into precipitated withdrawal, which was a hell place to be. I don't want to do that again and am worried about taking it too soon. How long do I need to stabilize on the Subs before tapering them down? Can someone support me with a good taper schedule for Subs? I don't want to trade oxy WDs for worse Subs WDs so want to get off the Subs as quickly as possible, while staying comfortable. I also have a supply of 2mg Xanax bars on hand but have heard that taking them with Subs is dangerous. Any tips and advice are appreciated.

Last edited:
stay strong, be conservative with suboxone so you can do a proper taper, and be safe

you can take xanax as well, but I would save them for when you run out of suboxone.

For the timing on starting the subs, basically you want to make sure that you're starting to experience WD symptoms before initiating. More concretely, I often hear that it's safe to initiate subs when you first score a 5 or 6 on the COWS scale (https://www.drugabuse.gov/sites/default/files/files/ClinicalOpiateWithdrawalScale.pdf). That is, when you think you MIGHT be starting to withdrawal, begin scoring yourself on the COWS scale once each hour. You'll see that your scores rise over time. Once you hit 5 or 6, it's likely that you're safe to start buprenorphine without precipitating WDs.

Of course, please keep in mind that I'm not doctor, and in theory, using the COWS scale for such business should be done under the advisement of a doctor. But personally, I've used this method before and been fine.

For the timing on starting the subs, basically you want to make sure that you're starting to experience WD symptoms before initiating. More concretely, I often hear that it's safe to initiate subs when you first score a 5 or 6 on the COWS scale (https://www.drugabuse.gov/sites/default/files/files/ClinicalOpiateWithdrawalScale.pdf). That is, when you think you MIGHT be starting to withdrawal, begin scoring yourself on the COWS scale once each hour. You'll see that your scores rise over time. Once you hit 5 or 6, it's likely that you're safe to start buprenorphine without precipitating WDs.

Of course, please keep in mind that I'm not doctor, and in theory, using the COWS scale for such business should be done under the advisement of a doctor. But personally, I've used this method before and been fine.

This.

If you use the subs to taper you shouldn't be in agony. You should try to get down to .5mg sub within 10 days.

I've been injecting oxycodone for the last 3 months. I've tapered down from 8 30mg pills every 2-3 hours to 4 20mg pills every 4 hours. I have one more dose left then I'm out. I will be doing my last shot around 6pm tonight and then waiting for the WDs to kick in. I have a supply of 8mg Suboxone strips on hand and have ordered Calm Support. How bad do the WDs need to get before I take my first dose of Subs? Last time I tried to detox, I took the Subs too soon and put myself into precipitated withdrawal, which was a hell place to be. I don't want to do that again and am worried about taking it too soon. How long do I need to stabilize on the Subs before tapering them down? Can someone support me with a good taper schedule for Subs? I don't want to trade oxy WDs for worse Subs WDs so want to get off the Subs as quickly as possible, while staying comfortable. I also have a supply of 2mg Xanax bars on hand but have heard that taking them with Subs is dangerous. Any tips and advice are appreciated.

When the buprenorphine sent you into precipitated withdrawal, how long was that after your last dose when that happened? It really varies, but the standard standard suggest is approximately 24 hours since your last dose. Now, that isn't exactly a hard and fast rule. When I was using heroin not to heavily I could use buprenorphine six hours after my last does and be fine, and while I was using it heavily I wouldn't really have to wait more than 12hrs. HOWEVER, the longer you can wait to use the buprenorphine, the more effective the medication will be at controlling your acute withdrawal.

• How much buprenorphine do you have to work with in total?
  • Are you seeing a doctor to get it or in any kind of program for it?
  • Do you have any other medications to work with, besides that Calm Support (don't expect to get too much from this, but it can't hurt)?

When the buprenorphine sent you into precipitated withdrawal, how long was that after your last dose when that happened? It really varies, but the standard standard suggest is approximately 24 hours since your last dose. Now, that isn't exactly a hard and fast rule. When I was using heroin not to heavily I could use buprenorphine six hours after my last does and be fine, and while I was using it heavily I wouldn't really have to wait more than 12hrs. HOWEVER, the longer you can wait to use the buprenorphine, the more effective the medication will be at controlling your acute withdrawal.

• How much buprenorphine do you have to work with in total?
  • Are you seeing a doctor to get it or in any kind of program for it?
  • Do you have any other medications to work with, besides that Calm Support (don't expect to get too much from this, but it can't hurt)?

New to this, so I hope I'm doing it right. I own a pharmacy, so I have an unlimited supply of Subs to work with, along with Xanax and anything else I might need like immodium, etc. That, of course, means I also have unlimited supply of Oxy, but I'm done with that and want my life back. I also have weed available to me.

I used to be an avid scuba diver (logged over 300 dives in a year) until I got strung out on Oxy and now don't trust myself to dive anymore. I want my dive life back, along with my friends, and all the other things that are enjoyable in life. The fear of detox has kept me on them as long as I've been on them this time. (I've been through detox twice before - one after shooting 40-60 30's a day for a year and a half and again after shooting 30-40 30's a day.

Both times were LIVING HELL and I'm scared to death of going through that again.) The second time I detoxed was with Subs, although going from 1mg to 0 mg Subs was awful. I want to get off the Subs ASAP, but don't want to go through the hell I did before. The last time I tried to detox with Subs I waited about 8 hours, which put me into precipitated withdrawal.

Thanks for the reference to the COWS scale simco. I'll definitely check that out. Any other advice on how to make this an easy detox is MUCH appreciated because I have a VERY low tolerance for pain. In fact, this addiction got kicked back in when I started popping Percs for a nasty lionfish sting where the barb went clean through my right index finger.

Thank you all for your support as I am going to need A LOT of it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, I have no idea how to navigate this site. I'm afraid if I leave this page I won't be able to find the replies and supportive responses given to me. Can someone help me with that?

Hi RoadToRecovery, I cant help you much about navigating around here cause Im trying to figure it out also. So far its been ok. You just go to "My profile" and from there you can see your posts etc. Thats what I do. Sure someone with better advice will tell you more. Are you starting a taper? Are you starting a detox? I just want to say that youll find great support here so keep posting. Im to are going CT again after failing at day 4...its sucks really so now again in a few hours Ill start. Big jump but I really have to do it. Sending you positives toughts.

Roadtorecovery, yikes...., I'd be in bad shape if I had that kinda dope at my disposal.. Wishing you the best! We're here for ya anytime.

You can do this...I just did.

Sixx

Also, I have no idea how to navigate this site. I'm afraid if I leave this page I won't be able to find the replies and supportive responses given to me. Can someone help me with that?

Hi RoadToRecovery, I cant help you much about navigating around here cause Im trying to figure it out also. So far its been ok. You just go to "My profile" and from there you can see your posts etc. Thats what I do. Sure someone with better advice will tell you more. Are you starting a taper? Are you starting a detox? I just want to say that youll find great support here so keep posting. Im to are going CT again after failing at day 4...its sucks really so now again in a few hours Ill start. Big jump but I really have to do it. Sending you positives toughts.

Here's a little primer on finding threads you have created for now:

First, click on "My Profile"

Then, click on "Find latest started threads"

And you will be direct to a page of all the threads you have started:

Alternatively you could have clicked out "Find latest posts" to find the all the posts you've made.