• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids SSRIs and Opiates

I'm currently rx'd Effexor (75mg) and Oxycodone for pain. I experience both analgesia and euphoria without issue. I had the same experience when I used to take Cymbalta.

effexor

I'm currently rx'd Effexor (75mg) and Oxycodone for pain. I experience both analgesia and euphoria without issue. I had the same experience when I used to take Cymbalta.

kinda off topic, But ive heard coming off effexor is the worst of any SSRI. so make sure to keep your oxy handy if you decide to stop taking it. On topic, I have experienced the same thing you have. Did you notice a difference in analgesia when being switched from cymbalta to effexor? I know cymbalta is an anti depressant that also deals with physical pain, so Im curious if you noticed any difference in pain relief or euphoria when you switched.

kinda off topic, But ive heard coming off effexor is the worst of any SSRI. so make sure to keep your oxy handy if you decide to stop taking it. On topic, I have experienced the same thing you have. Did you notice a difference in analgesia when being switched from cymbalta to effexor? I know cymbalta is an anti depressant that also deals with physical pain, so Im curious if you noticed any difference in pain relief or euphoria when you switched.

Thanks for the advice, I've also heard the same thing. Looks like I'll be on it for the long haul, however, but will definitely be under the care of a doctor should I ever come off of it.

That's an interesting point about Cymbalta. I actually have not noticed a difference in analgesia. My pain is related to structural damage in my neck from a fall years ago along with knee issues, although the root cause of my knee pain has not been identified yet. Euphoria from the Oxy also seems to be the same.

My doctor switched me from Cymbalta to Effexor when it seemed to stop working for my depression/anxiety. The one thing I did notice when switching was that Effexor has slight "speedy" effect to it which seems to help get me motivated.

Yea, I had that speedy effect as well when i was on it. They gave it to me for depression as well as adhd. they didnt wanna give me adderall or ritalin. And I was taking hyrdocodone at the time. and it seemed to intensify the vicodins effects. at least for me. they switched me from lexapro to effexor and i noticed the difference in euphoria mainly. same pain relief. I just got a more stable euphoric state of mind i guess you could say. almost like a very mild speedball. And after the effexor i was put on cymbalta and oxycodone. and now on the paxil, I didnt notice a difference in the two antidepressants against the oxycodone. i guess the pain relief of cymbalta is very mild. or maybe it just deals with pain associated with depressive thoughts? as opposed to an actual analgesic effect on the body.

oh man i should make a thread for this, but i have found that i CANNOT get high when on ssris. prozac, zoloft, paxil....i remember taking lots of vicoprofen when i had nhil newb status tolerance and i couldnt feel them. i couldnt get high on H when on zoloft. on and on. anyone experienced this?

its weird cause i actually did get high on oxy when on an ssri but i cant seem too with h. i may have actually been able to get high on h when on lexapro....cant remember. but yeah.

Interesting im on 200mg of Zoloft and can get very very very very VERY high on H lol. It doesn't seem to inhibit any feelings of euphoria or anything like that.

i take prozac and when i take opiates i usually have to take an extra one to get the same buzz as i would not taking the ssri

The question has been answered over and over again but I'll add this for interest's sake:

I've been on 20mg Citalopram for about a year now and am well versed in opium, DHC and codeine use, and while they've posed no problems whatsoever regarding interaction (nor has my dosage of opiates had to change), irregular but frequent [smoked] use of opium (let's say 4 days a week at night time) resulted in my having all the classic symptoms of depression after a couple of weeks. Didn't get out of bed for a week, couldn't be arsed to speak to friends, reduced appetite etc.

I'm adding this because if you're on SSRIs you're susceptible to depression, so you might want to watch your opiate use; even if you're not experiencing physical withdrawals you can feel very mentally drained and it can be extremely unpleasant.

well put. now this thread should be closed

I'm on 40 g of Citalopram a day and I find that it potentiates opiates. If I take them when I've had poppy tea, I get a real good nod. No experience of serotonin sydrome on opiates, so far.

I'm currently on lexapro ...and some of my friend are going to get some morphine this weekend and I would like to use a small dose cause I like to use it sometimes ...do u think this is dangerous ?

I'm currently on lexapro ...and some of my friend are going to get some morphine this weekend and I would like to use a small dose cause I like to use it sometimes ...do u think this is dangerous ?
Please check dates, before digging out an old thread, this one is like 6 years old !
You should be fine if the dosage is low and you're limiting yourself to taking it once every blue moon.

thank u very much kleinerkiffer ...and yes ..I think I might just get 1 or 2 ampoules not consecutively ...I'm taking the lowest dose of lexapro which is 10 mg...

Quick question, I was on 20 mg Celexa for four days and have since stopped so I haven't had any for 72 hours, would I be good to take, say, 150 mg tramadol? Celexa half life is 35 hours

I never had a problem doing massive amounts of dope while on an SSRI. I would not think that most opiates (hydrocodone) would be at risk of interaction/serotonin syndrome as they're not serotonergic.

Quick question, I was on 20 mg Celexa for four days and have since stopped so I haven't had any for 72 hours, would I be good to take, say, 150 mg tramadol? Celexa half life is 35 hours
I wouldn't risk it, because tramadol is a SNRI and can cause Serotonin Syndrom when combined with other SSRIs. Better wait around a week or longer

And to the two posters above, he was specifically asking about Tramadol and tramadol is serotonergic!!!

And to the two posters above, he was specifically asking about Tramadol and tramadol is serotonergic!!!

'SSRIs and Opiates
Does anyone know if taking opioids while on an SSRI can cause serotonin syndrome?

I am not sure where i heard this, but i remember hearing that mixing the two can be dangerous.

Does anyone know if opioids, (hydrocodone in general), increase serotonin levels?'

Actually the Op didn't mention any specific opiate/opioid apart from hydrocodone. And I didn't say anything about it not being possible or give any advice, just shared my experience. And I know Tramadol is serotonegeric...an actual opiate would be a safer choice in regards to combining with and SSRI from a harm reduction POV..

I wasn't responding to anyone but the OP. This came up at the top of new posts, didn't look at the date?

Opioids that are serotonergics are methadone, fentanyl, tramadol and maybe buprenorphine and oxycodone.
Hydrocodone should be safe, but I'm not a doctor and I didn't know that buprenorphine and oxycodone may be serotonergic(read the thread buprenorphine and Adderall causing SS)