• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Splishy splashy - aka the wine guide

m4dd0g said:
Loving my wines and having a crappola memory i like to come up with rules that work for good wines.

Location and Grape:
New Zealand and Adelaide Hills: Sav Blanc
Barossa: Shiraz
Claire Valley: Riesling
Margret River: Semillon and Semillon/Sav blends
Coonawarra, Mclaren Vale: Cab sav
Rutherglen: Durif (fucking magic but completely unknown red grape/location)
Germany/France (Alcace): Sweet Rieslings/Stickys
Italian: Great weird ass shit when you want to roll the dice
France: almost everything but softly softly

Year (i only known/care about shiraz and barossa):
Every even year from 1990 to 2004, but imo 99' was exception and the best

Insanely good labels
Shiraz: Greenock creek, Ross Estate, Elderton (command series)... <memory failing now>

This +

Hunter Valley - Great Semillon (Mt Pleasant 'Elizabeth' etc)
Tasmania and NZ - Pinots and Sparkling (cold climes)
France - Lighter reds, pinots, beaujolais and sparkling (duh)

Also less common but a lot of Chilean wines are nice - Casillero de Diablo (cellar of the devil :)) is a well-known winery more common in the UK - but you can get it from Vintage Cellars here.....they are usually around $15/bottle and most varietals I've tried are really good (viognier, rose, sav blanc, shiraz maybe?).

Tempranillo is good as well if you like lighter more savoury reds like sangiovese, some pinots. Spanish varietal....

I'm a huge fan of viogniers and pinot gris and grigio - they seem more balanced to me than most other whites.....though sav blancs do the trick.

T'Gallant (mornington peninsula) 'Juliet' Pinot Grigio is fairly sensational.

here i am, drinking wine and crusing bluelight. it's 2004 all over again!

Tonight, it's 2002 Paringa Estate Pinot Noir. peeeee no!!!!!!!!!!!

As far as good value, bang for buck goes

I highly recommend this one

OomooShiraz.jpg

I went on a one-day wine tour of the Southern Highlands in January. We went to five wineries and I picked up a bottle at each one, plus a bottle of port. I may have paid through the nose for it at about $25 a bottle but it tastes good so I have no regrets.

The ones I've actually had are:
Bousaada 2005 Riesling - Quite a bit more pungent than the 2007 Riesling, so maybe I should have got that instead.

Blue Metal cleanskin port - This stuff is fucking rocket fuel. You can get drunk just from smelling it. Once the alcohol vapours disperse, it's pleasantly sweet.

Blue Metal 2005 Sangiovese Cabernet Sauvignon - I'm not normally a big fan of cab sav because it's usually really pungent. I'm not used to it. This one on the other hand is very mellow. I'm pretty sure they made the port out of this. I should order some more.

Epic (and I never say epic on principle) bump, lnf.

I drink enough wine to necessitate a list and yet I still have no idea what is bad/ good/ great. I need other people to be Details-People with A Tendency To List Their Favourites.

I knew you'd like that one, and something in me had you down for first reply to the bump ;)

When I have some spare time I'll do a list for you :D

As much I'm not a huge fan of cardanay, that isn't too bad. Not too bad on the $$ by memory either.

The DL Fifth Leg blend is definitely very good value

Lately I have been really getting into the Vintage Cellars label (what they call Chalk Board Label) Riesling. Not the greatest Riesling ever but for the price it is damn good

I dont know much about wines but i know what i like. I love expensive french champagne like Moet and Tattinger but how often do you really drink it? lol.
Im a brut girl rather than a fruity girl and these are the ones i like that are quite cheap (like under $20)

Champers
Yellowglen - Yellow or Vintage
Jacobs creek
Four sisters
and my new favourite
Rock Scissors Paper

White Wine
Yellowtail Sav Blanc
Four Sisters Sab Blanc
Overstone Sav & Chardonnay
Rock Scissors Paper Sav Blanc

hey guys, get yourselves on graysonline you will never look back, you can pick up a case of wine delivered for between 30 and 70 and some good drops too

Got some bargains on there, red and white, just got to stick to your limits and you will be a winner.

Oh we tried Yellowglen Leila on the weekend - sparking Sauvignon Blanc.

It was pretty good - much nicer than Chardonnay blends of sparkling.

Hello Everyone here... especially Kat, Unsquare, lil angel, to name a few %)

funny, we all turning into wine snobs here :)

I have tasted hundreds of wines last few years due my trade, where it's all legally claimed on tax.... "wine tasting".... I work in kitchen. Very important part of the job 8)

I have discovered few awesome wines... I am a big fan of Tahbilk Wines, their wine club is wicked, love their Marsanne.... pretty much everything they have in stock! LOL!

If you are budget "wine taster" check out "winemarket.com.au" if you become fan in Facebook, you get $15 voucher! (I have no connections with them, just thought let you winos know where get cheap wines!)

Yes..... lil square... I love Tulloch's especially their Verdelho and Merlot.

Just before I moved to NT, I was a big red wine drinker, but the heat and weather here.... sort of made me switch to Marsanne and Verdelho especially in summer when I drink them on rocks!:p

I lived in a coastal town in SA before moved to NT where it was 45 minutes drive to Coonawarra Winery Zone.... took me 6 months to check out every single winery. Lost Track of their Cab. Sav's tasted......

Fun times! :p

baysieguy1- my mum buys a lot of wines from gray's but the catch is ALWAYS check the delivery cost before you bid ;)

baysieguy1- my mum buys a lot of wines from gray's but the catch is ALWAYS check the delivery cost before you bid ;)

There is also a buyers premium by the site, but if you check all these add ons, you can still buy some very nice wines at less than 70 a case

hey guys, get yourselves on graysonline you will never look back, you can pick up a case of wine delivered for between 30 and 70 and some good drops too

Got some bargains on there, red and white, just got to stick to your limits and you will be a winner.

Yeah I've done that, however, there are problems that arise from having cartons of wine laying about the place.

I make my self head out to the local retail outlet as an alcohol intake management technique

^Agreeeed.

In our new flat we have a wine rack built into the wall with space for at least 100 bottles. 'sif you're ever going to buy that many and just have them sit around!!

Yeah I've done that, however, there are problems that arise from having cartons of wine laying about the place.

I make my self head out to the local retail outlet as an alcohol intake management technique

Quoted for truth. I once had a few cartons of wine in my garage they really didn't last long at all...

I drink a bit of wine but with currently being a cheap uni student it's mainly either the Banrock or Yalumba 2L casks. When the girl and I are both working I can't wait to go back to be able to afford bottles of wine.

Normally stick to Marlborough Sav Blancs for whites although I do enjoy a dry Riesling as well.

With the reds I enjoy a Merlot, straight or blend. Last few we had were from Coonawarra and we quite enjoyed them but also we look for the some Margaret River wines as well.

Also don't mind picking up the odd clean skin.