• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Spirits real or fake??

You only need glance at what is said on that link and see the sensationalist bias in the writing.

It puts what they claim in the case studies in suspicion. They could be stretching the truth, the CIA could have gotten it wrong in interpreting what they were told, errors could be anywhere. It proves nothing by itself.

Properly controlled studies could prove this as an unequivocal phenomenon beyond the dispute of anyone tomorrow if someone able to do it could get to someone independent to study it, and it could be on the internet, mirrored, copied and archived before anyone knew it had started. IF it were true.

And then there's quit question. If Project Stargate had such resounding results. Why on earth would they then shut it down and declassify it. As you would do with a project that lead to a dead end waste of money.

The article was just something I quickly pulled up that gave some information on it, as I had heard of it before. It went on for twenty years or so, so there must have been something worth studying in that amount of time. psychics aren't really something im interested in but i know that some of these things are possible.

most likely a dead end but i bet there was more than a thing or two that was gleamed from it.

as far as waiting for a study to prove it to you that spiritual things are real, don't hold your breath. there is a lot of other evidence around for spiritual things existing if its something you really were interested in. spiritual principles manifest themselves in the physical world, and the things we do in the material world, impact the spiritual realm. the two are related and im sure there is a mechanism behind it that isn't understood as of yet.

i don't really see the value in discussing spiritual things if you are closed off from them. surely there is more to our existence than what we can experience with our senses, no?

The article was just something I quickly pulled up that gave some information on it, as I had heard of it before. It went on for twenty years or so, so there must have been something worth studying in that amount of time. psychics aren't really something im interested in but i know that some of these things are possible.

most likely a dead end but i bet there was more than a thing or two that was gleamed from it.

as far as waiting for a study to prove it to you that spiritual things are real, don't hold your breath. there is a lot of other evidence around for spiritual things existing if its something you really were interested in. spiritual principles manifest themselves in the physical world, and the things we do in the material world, impact the spiritual realm. the two are related and im sure there is a mechanism behind it that isn't understood as of yet.

i don't really see the value in discussing spiritual things if you are closed off from them. surely there is more to our existence than what we can experience with our senses, no?

Again I believe we have differing ideas of open minded. I don't follow paranormal phenomenon because the trustworthy evidence leads away from it, if that changes in the future I will reevaluate with the new information, that's being open minded.

Only finding out something is real because you specifically tried to find proof of it is closed minded.

I am indeed open minded, because with sufficient evidence I would delightedly change my position to believer. I just need evidence that can't be so effortlessly dismissed but the usual human fallibilities sciences whole purpose is to control for and exclude from the data. That is how you reliably determine most of the time the objective and real, as close as we can get anyways, from the subjective and distorted.

It wouldn't be difficult. Pick which subject you wanna study first. Let's say remote viewing.

You bring in as many remote viewing candidates as you can, plus say for example, a control group of humans who claim not to be believers who will simply use intuition to guess, and a third control of a computer that guesses randomly. Give them all test locations with a finite but very large possible collection of objects known to all groups. And at differing closed sites, place varying items chosen at random at each, not known to the evaluators ahead of time, selected by a computer and placed by humans who's job is specifically to do only that.

Collect the data, soliciting remote viewing from all the test and control groups.

Once all the data's collected, you determine the odds of guessing correctly by random chance as the computer simulated group will have, and compare the others too them. If the remote viewer group has a sucess rate of statistical significant above the margin of error. You may have something. You can then compare it to the intuitive skeptic group, see how they did, how similar they are. Even if both human groups do better at a random setup than a truly random (or close enough pseudorandom) selector. Then you have real, unimpeachable evidence. You publish it for peer review, where others attempt to see if they can find flaws in how you conducted the experiment and conclusions drawn and so on.

Finally, someone else with entirely we people repeat their own version of the same experiment as described by the first, with their own equipment and people.

They get the same result, and we have excellent, indisputable data from which we can conclude that some form of apparent hereto unknown form of perception is giving the humans an above average sucess rate that can't currently be accounted for.

Now we know some kind of remote viewing or perhaps precognition is a likely hypothesis for what's happening in the results, next we start doing tests on the best of the remote viewers to try to find out how it's happening. People can propose better hypothesis, new tests can rule out some and support others. Perhaps ultimately leading to a cohesive theory of the nature of the preciously believed paranormal ability (in a scientific sense, paranormal can't exists either something is a normal behavior in the universe, or it doesn't exist, or our model of normal behavior is wrong, but there is no 'paranormal', that's just a convenient popular word to describe proposed phenomenon in our world yet to be discovered and lacking mainstream acceptance or interest.

All you need is to go to university, learn science, and you could do it for your PhD or masters or something. It would be a major discovery. And since it's real, the neysayers will be quickly shut up when they can repeat it themselves and see how to prove it. That my friend is science. That's how you could go about actually proving some alleged paranormal phenomenon.

Other methods could be decided or other subjects of the paranormal, most are theoretically testable. Except say with psychics who can use the magic 'it doesn't work that way' excuse or believers in the 'only those afraid of science become ghosts when they die' version of ghosts.

That is what I'm looking for. If someone could provide me with something like that, at the very least I would change my position to believing it's plausible, pending further data. If not outright believing it right there.

This way of testing and observing the world has consistently worked for hundreds of years at yielding the knowledge responsible for virtually all the technological and medical marvels of our world. No other method has ever accomplished even close to so much impressively accurate, working useable knowledge.

But nobody is giving me that kind of evidence. I can't find it, noones been able to show me one yet that satisfies the criteria I mentioned. And if that weren't enough reason to simply believe it's probably not real simply because, if it were, being so simple to test, and with so many failed attempts to test such phenomenon in the past. That if it were true we should already have more than enough scientific evidence to confirm it. Then you also have everything we DO know from SUCCESSFUL scientific experiments done in this way, that explain to us all the fallibilities' human minds possess that perfectly explain, and in fact would predict the existence of. Superstitions like the paranormal, conspiracy theories, quack medicine, all these examples of false, self propagating, viral ideas. We have the studies that have shown us already how our minds work and how we as a society wind up with many of us who believe again and again in such things. All the mistakes that lead to it happening, all the flaws that support it, and all the motives that maintain it.

So not only is there reason not to believe based in the lack of good evidence, there is also virtually complete explanations provided by science as to exactly HOW we in large numbers come to such widely believed yet unsupported at best and most likely incorrect or even dangerous at worst, self propagating beliefs.

And then you have basic logical deduction and reason that pokes holes in some of the paranormal claims based on the known science. Like the extent of the brain we've come to understand, and how illogical it would be that it or it's consciousness would continue any form of meaningful processing post death. Not to mention many more logical issues with ghosts. Every one of which requires a gigantic leap and change to so much that we have so we'll established to make sense of, which in turn would break down much that came before it that yet still consistently worked as a model. Of course none of this matters if you don't have much science education in various fields, since if you know almost nothing about how the world works, in your mind the line between what is plausible and implausible is much harder to define. Because you both know so little and are so unaware of how much others among us actually DO KNOW.

I can't think of any better way to explain it than I have now. I've been waiting for the the right opportunity to demonstraight ways people come to erroneous conclusions, and demonstraigbt what makes good data good, and bad data bad. I can't make you believe anything.

But believing because you want to believe refusing to look at all the counter evidence I've shown with your mind open to the possibility that your deeply held experiences and beliefs could be wrong, whatever the reason. That is not open minded. That is close minded.

Open minded are the students of hard science, because we strive to go where the data takes us. And abandon fruitless paths no matter how much we wish it weren't so. That is being open in your mind to being wrong, and disappointed. Believers who try to find evidence after forming their belief are close minded. Those that selectively gather all the info, good or bad or very bad that supports their prefered or preconceived beliefs, ignore, dismiss, or deprioritize the evidence against their notions. Those are the close minded.

Even if one day you turn out to be somewhat right bout some paranormal phenomenon, you were right for all the wrong reasons. You were wrong to believe at the time something that at a latter time would prove right and right to be right.

And mark my words, should that day happen In our lifetimes, should real evidence emerge to my satisfaction with the rules I've given and reasons to trust in those rules above any others. I will be the one then dismissing the skeptics who don't believe in esp despite the clear evidence. Like anyone, there are many things I wish were true. I have faith in the existence of the soul, even if I don't have scientific evidence it's true. But since it's only faith I don't expect anyone to share my beliefs. I hope to be one day proven right, and if I'm one day proven wrong (the word soul as I'm using it here has specific, much vaguer meaning than any religious usage I should mention). I will be disappointed. But I won't put my head in the sand. Closing my mind as it were.

Because to me, my whole life, I have valued finding the truth more than just about anything else. I want to know the truth, even when it's disappointing.

I wanna believe in a cyclical universe that will continue with life coming and going forever. We may well know for sure if that's true or not one day. Disappointingly however the evidence as it stands isn't being very cooperative to getting that definitive answer.I Want us to find a way to travel faster than the speed of light in one form or another, unfortunately our best evidence so far isn't looking good for that.

So long as the matter is not completely settled, I can continue to have faith that my preference will be one day found to be true. But some matters pretty much are settled. Or so close to it as to be not worth continuing to have faith in with such poor outlooks. And I argue that from everything ive seen most if not all paranormal phenomenon follow this patteen.

Again this isn't directed at anyone in particular. I don't want to hurt peoples feelings or insult well meaning people, I truly honestly don't. But I see so much destruction in the world caused by ignorance, magical thinking, so on. Babies and children dying of preventable diseases. Destruction of our planet and suicidal level denial. Senseless deaths and from false medicine, Steve jobs is such a victim. And then there's all the false hope given to the ignorant by con artists and other equally ignorant people claiming to be clairvoyants. I don't know what's sadder, the ones that know they're frauds or the ones that have taught themselves cold reading over time but don't even realize that's what they're doing. Just thinking that's how their powers work. Ugh. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, I don't wanna hurt any innocent people. But our culture suppresses people from frankly stating the truth as I am doing, and people are hurt and killed because ignorance was allowed to spread, viral ideas propagated, while social pressures silenced those that could have at least tried to do something, anything even. But instead did nothing under the suggestion that what harm is it for people to believe whatever they want? When really they just don't have the spine or will to stand up and potentially be hated by people they like on a personality level (as I've experienced). I'd be better off if I didn't say anything either. But I can't help myself. I wouldn't feel right saying nothing if there's even the slimmist chance someone might be better off for it some day.

Man I thought I'd accidently wiped out the entire post till here till I realized it was AutoSaved in the edit section rather than the reply section, I did not wanna rewrite all that.

Last edited:
Thanks for the post Jess. I want to address Richards statement. I really like the expression "God in the gaps," never heard of it before. I think it totally fits my own worldview so gotta thank him even though he might have thought it insulting. It's really important to realize that often there are profound truths to be found "in the gaps" that cannot be explained using previously known truths. If gaps can't be reconciled with known truths it tells us our understanding is incomplete and new truths will be discovered. These truths are often completely new concepts. Kurt Godel showed us beyond a doubt that there must exist true mathematical statements that cannot be proved. Some truths are beyond the reach of deductive logic. We adopt some of these anyways cause they fit our experience of truth and they unify our understanding in a higher-order way. For example, quantum mechanics is a set of axioms. We call it truth cause it is beautiful and it fits our observations not cause it follows linearly from what came before.

i see humans as more than computers manipulating and experiencing permutations of pre-existing truths. Humans are capable of experiencing and discovering truths beyond the scope of logical deduction. when these are found, they enrich our understanding immensely, close gaps, preserve established truths, and ultimately expose new and previously inconceivable gaps. Reality in the gaps might be a less controversial way to rephrase that without changing the meaning. I mean God and reality should converge if we allow them to so it's semantics really how we interpret our incomplete understandings. If something can't be explained then it's a great reason to believe in truths that are beyond our conception of truth. People are eager to call reality reality when its filled with gaps, but that isn't reality.

If I understand what you mean, I think you're referring to how quantum physics is generally seen as a mathematical metaphor describing the interactions of the currently believed to be elementary particles, where the true way they actually behave is unknown or perhaps unknowable to us, the quantum physics model maps the behavior of these particles and composite particles and their interactions into a representation accurate to their functional behavior, but not necessary heir literal underlying nature. If so, it would be worth pointing out we once believed the same thing about the atomic nucleus, that it too was an abstract representation for underling at the time unknown literal behavior. However as we developed electron microscopes and such,and got our first glimses of the actual appearance of the world of chemisty. Our model that was only made to represent interaction and behavior rather than reality, actually was also highly representative of the actual reality. For example, at that scale, the molecules actually kinda do look like our ball and stick representations'. Of course some things are true unknowns. What came before the big bang for example. To the best of our current understanding, the answer to that question is unknowable, no information to determine the answer currently exists. But we have been wrong about things somewhat like that before. Two important things I think are worth noting. The first is that an unknowable gap only means the answer is unknowable within our spacetime. It doesn't mean an answer literally does not exist, ot may exist and just be unattainable to us. The second thing worth pointing out. Is we have closed a LOT of gaps in physics that we once thought were likely unanswerable.

Once we thought fire, wind, water, earth, these were elementary.
Closer we got when we thought atoms were elementary.
But that was wrong too, we found them to be made up of new, apparently elementary particles, protons neutrons and electrons.
And today, while one of the three is still considered elementary, the electron, protons and neutrons are now known to be composite particles made up of elementary quarks. How far down does the stack of turtles go? All the way? Are we close to the end? Is the string the nest elementary particle of which all else stems?
Or are we perhaps still yet to scratch the surface?

My point is, we're not even close to having all the answers yet. There are still many mysteries to solve in how our universe works, and we're still working away at it as we should. A lack of an explanation itself is proof of nothing more than the nonexistence currently of an explanation. And with so many conquered unexplaineds in our wake, I'd hesitate to suggest anything truly unknowable.

I don't agree that there is reason yet to consider anything to be both unknowable rationally but knowable rationally.

Are like computers? Sort of. Were not much like OUR computers, but our brains still are constructions made up of simpler parts much like computers, the neural network. Our transistors.

...science stuff...

believe me jess, you aren't going to hurt my feelings. and to a degree you are right, my mind is close minded now to things that aren't the truth. I know the truth with absolute certainty and there's nothing that's going to change that. i believe god allows us to know the truth with absolute certainty. he tells us that in our hearts we know we are eternal beings and that we know the truth and I believe that. some things take faith, but he also open's are eyes to spiritual things. it also doesn't really matter how you find the truth, so long as your conclusions are correct. some folks will have a harder time than others, but there is a path for everyone if you aren't closed off to it.

either way, nobody is getting anywhere without being honest. nothing wrong with a little bit of skepticism, but you didn't even take the time to look into the studies, you're being dismissive without even taking the time to look bc of some poorly written article. they spent over 20 years studying it and dumped 20 million dollars into it, so something was going on with it.

i know you think you understand how the world works and I couldn't have any possible idea, but you couldnt be more wrong. can you see how by considering yourself an expert or educated in a field it closes your mind? studies have been done on this. can you see that this might have been used against you and society as a whole to promote an agenda? i think we know a lot more than we are letting on, scientifically speaking. ive seen UFOs up close and seen how fast they disappear. it defies everything that we say we know.

I know how you feel, i think you are making presumptions about what I know and understand, but that's your own deal.

things are going to change and soon. they are already changing. you are going to be caught off guard or deceived if you don't know the truth.

some of the conspiracies are true, some nonsense, but they all boil down to basically one conspiracy at the end of the day. once you understand what the agenda is, you don't have to have anybody explain it to you, you can see it for yourself every day and you get a better idea of what's been happening now and the events leading up to the present and you understand that most of what you know is lies and propaganda. you can understand why everything around us and society as a whole sucks so bad. we are bringing about our own destruction and there's nothing we can do to stop it but we still have a choice.

this is something new to me and it never seemed real to me. it was actually giving me pretty crazy anxiety for a month or so, because my mind was blown...it seems to be calming down now lol.

i just think people tend to go around in circles and criticize things they don't understand without ever getting anywhere. seems kinda pointless to me.

any thoughts on this?

http://www.techinsider.io/a-pyramid-on-ceres-baffles-nasa-2016-1

Last edited:
I'll get around to looking further into more studies of thr paranormal, I'm just in no rush to being disappointed yet again.

Also, so often the evidence people post isn't scientific at all, it's not worth reading.

And again, they shut it down and discontinued it. I can explain it going for 20 years and costing a fortune. The government regularly wastes money on stupid projects and keeps them going way too long after they've failed, there are countless examples.

But what is the possible explanation for them actually discovering something significant, only to kill the project and declassify it? The only half baked claim I can even think of for such a decision is to supposedly discourage others attempting the same study, but it wouldn't work for that purpose anyway. We have done countless studies showing the safety of aspartame and cell phone radiation, yet we still waste money doing them again to gain yet a little bit more foregone conclusion for the immediatendismissal by the proponents of pseudoscience.

I need evidence, simple as that. Conjecture isn't evidence, hypotheticals aren't evidence. I explained both how you get reliable reliable evidence and why that method works more accurately than any other.

And as for various conspiracy theories. Many of them can't be conclusively proven or conclusively disproven given the claimed state of affairs nullifies the reliability of seemingly conclusive disproval and rejection of any place for balance of probability argument.

As such, for those, they aren't even worth discussing. If you already believe it, it has built in safeguards to prevent the use if standard reason for disproval.

I'm glad I haven't hurt your feelings, buy my concerns weigh equally on people disliking me for the same reason, (trying to spread the truth against dangerous misinformation)

i don't think people dislike you as much as you think jess. youre alright with me, and you offer some pretty valuable insights. a little feisty, but its all good.

i think sometimes we need to follow our intuition in some ways. we are complex beings, and the mathematical, scientific parts of us, are only one part of us. i just think we can think ourselves into dead ends sometimes.

i think we are designed to be free, but we find ourselves in chains, and i know you know that living in a severely depressed state becomes unmanageable after a so many years of it. i think in finding the truth we find peace and freedom. which is something i find more valuable than anything man or science can offer me bc it will still always fail to tell me 'why'. i think we have the ability to find truth and not subjective form either.

i have no dog in this race, i was just pointing out something that i had come across. like i said, i really don't care too much about psychics or any of these threads for that matter, just pointing out it has been studied by somewhat reputable people and groups.

I know the truth with absolute certainty and there's nothing that's going to change that. ]

The very definition of a closed mind. :) Although I suppose it's better to understand that and do it purposely than to do it without realizing.

Jess, I don't dislike you. I generally agree with your perspective too except sometimes I think you entirely disregard the experiences of others when you have not had them, and relegate them to "there must be some explanation you're overlooking that doesn't conflict with my own worldview", basically dismissing the experiences of others. But it's okay, we can't all agree, and you're polite and have a lot of interesting things to say. :)

the electron, protons and neutrons are now known to be composite particles made up of elementary quarks. How far down does the stack of turtles go? All the way? Are we close to the end?

That is what I feel is the scientific evidence for the possibility of spirits. It is possible that there are things even smaller than quarks, as new things are being discovered in the world of subatomic particles all the time. Quarks appear to exhibit some unusual properties (e.g. quantum tunneling, quantum entanglement, etc.) that truly are unlike classical physics. On top of that, there are particles even smaller. Sure, it supposedly happens on a "micro scale" that wouldn't apply to large objects. However, who is to say that ghosts are on a larger scale physically, it may just be that they have that appearance. Quantum physics essentially operates like magic compared to classical physics, so what we know merely scratches the surface and anything is possible. While it obviously is not magic, it is in comparison to classical physics as it opens up such an infinite array of possibilities. While I acknowledge that I may be bias, as I have actually seen ghosts myself, I also acknowledge that science doesn't know all the answers....... and I personally feel that eyewitnesses should be given at least some credibility for investigation. Millions upon millions of people have seen them, therefore while it doesn't prove it, I feel it warrants a serious scientific inquiry in the phenomena...... perhaps the particle physicists should set up their detection equipment in haunted houses, I wonder what they would find. Maybe it could be the greatest scientific discovery of humanity, but they aren't even bothering to look for it.

Jess! I love you.

The interconnectedness of everything I believe is less "evidence" and more "speculative suggestion".

I actually disagree. Eyewitness accounts are completely worthless unless it is for one specific event identically described by several people.

But vague separate events, I consider it worthless.

And lack of knowledge can't be used to provide knowledge in itself, like in ghosts. Even if you provide for some unknown phenomenon to explain ghosts, say for example... The most plausible way I can think of is echo's of peoples consciousness from before they died time traveling into the future (thus evading the problem of there being no brain for the ghosts to use). You still need evidence. You can take eyewitness and personal experience as evidence. But personally I don't. They're too vague, too easily misinterpreted, too easily biased. Examples of such exist not just on this thread but all throughout out lives.

I actually disagree. Eyewitness accounts are completely worthless unless it is for one specific event identically described by several people.

But vague separate events, I consider it worthless.

There have been ghosts witnessed by multiple people at the same time. For instance, let's say there was a ghost in a house where a family resides, there have been numerous cases of the entire family seeing the same ghost..... or a couple in bed who witness a ghost in their room. There have been numerous ghosts sighted by multiple people at once.

Also the Gettsyburg battlefield has had large groups of unrelated people seeing the same phenomena. The house I talked about earlier in this thread is experienced by everyone who goes in there. I was told it was haunted but that was the most detailed the description got. I didn't expect at all to experience anything because it had never happened to me before, I was unsure what to think, I trusted the stories of people I knew but I had never experienced anything. So I mean, I get that you haven't personally experienced anything and neither have a lot of people, but a lot of people have and it's not always while alone or an one-time anomaly.

It still doesn't mean that these 'ghosts' are actually deceased humans. That is but one 'explanation'.

Yes that's very true. When I try to say I believe ghosts are real, I'm not trying to say I think they're definitely deceased humans, the spirits of them lingering around. I'm just trying to say, whatever it is, it's a real, observable phenomenon that has SOME explanation. This is in contrast to saying it's just imagination, and is never actually observed.

Soz xorkoth, comment was intended for Lands Unknown.

I suppose I find it a useful clarification to make in any case. :)

I appreciated it as I do much of your thoughts/nipples.

Holy shit, I feel very civilized today, very dignified and almost like a retired butler.

It's funny you mention that, as I've been getting a decidedly butler-in-permanent-repose vibe from you today.

There are spirits, we shouldn't see them, some people may encounter them, they can't do anything, but we'll never know now.

Might be a dumb question, but do you think air currents from a fan can cause a door to be difficult to open..... because the other night in the middle of the night I got up to take a leak and it was difficult to open the door to the bathroom :? It's weird, because this has never happened before. The only things I could think of was either the ghost I've seen..... or simply air currents. Part of me thinks it was just air currents, yet I question that as this only happened once. My door is perfectly well lubed, as it didn't happen after this occasion at like 4 in the morning.