• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Spirits real or fake??

IceDancer

Bluelighter
Who believes in spirits? Explain an experience that made you believe. For the non believers why don't you believe?

For me i believe 100% cause i live in a house haunted by nice and evil spirits. We have searched and found information regarding the deaths in our home. We found names and asked if this is your name make a loud noise and wal lah responded with knocks and bangs.

I grew up in a haunted house and I've had numerous encounters with spirits over the years. When you're sensitive to it, it's a regular occurrence. The spirit world is interesting because, like the human world, some spirits see us and some don't. The ones who can see us, they are aware of those who can see them back. So the downside to having this sensitivity is that a lot of them know you are seeing them, and they come to you for various reasons. My early childhood was very challenging for this reason. My parents were Catholic and were in such denial... but even they couldn't deny some of the stuff that happened, especially when my grandmother died and was hanging around. It was sort of like a family secret we never shared with outsiders, unless of course they were present for an incident.

With external experiences, you can write them off as something else. Human denial is strong like that. So more importantly, I have had out of body experiences and near death experiences which informed me that I am a spirit, not a body. Recognizing my own spirit in this way just removed all doubt about what's going on. To me, it's anomalous to not believe in spirits, but I recognize not everyone has the life experiences or sensitivities to agree with me. Yes it's true, sometimes things are misattributed to spirits that are actually explainable phenomena, but other times they really are spirits. If modern humans didn't have such blunted awareness, we would still be able to tell the difference.

The modern world has atrophied the human senses, especially among those who live in cities. Earlier humans were much more attuned to these things to a very refined degree, which is why most of the best surviving literature on the spirit world tends to be pre-modern.

So for me it's not a belief, it's just a fact of life.

Who believes in spirits? Explain an experience that made you believe. For the non believers why don't you believe?

For me i believe 100% cause i live in a house haunted by nice and evil spirits. We have searched and found information regarding the deaths in our home. We found names and asked if this is your name make a loud noise and wal lah responded with knocks and bangs.

It's voila, not "wal lah". At least I think that's what you were going for. Or maybe the spirits name was wal lah? Confusing shit there.

I don't believe in it. We know enough about the seat of thought and brain function to know that without it, after we die, whatever is left of us will not have the capacity to act in the way we ascribe to ghosts and spirits.

We also know a great deal about the fallibility of the mind, and I feel I have sufficient grasp and understanding of the fallibilities of the average mind and how perfectly sensible people can be made to or can mistakingly come to believe almost anything, completely explaining virtually all paranormal experiences. Problem is, to explain this to true believers basically requires telling them that their often their deepest beliefs and experiences come simply because they are either not smart enough, or their mind not well versed enough in science and trained enough in logic and manipulation of the mind for their experiences to be believably interpreted how they interpret them. So explaining it requires people to allow themselves to believe and honestly try to understand many things they would much rather not know, and so most will dismiss it.

And finally, science has tried repeatedly to find evidence in all sorts of paranormal claims and repeatedly come up empty handed. If it were true, the existence of spirits that is, it defies plausibility that we haven't found sufficient evidence.

That is why I don't believe in it.

I don't believe because I see no evidence. Back when I was a kid I thought demons were after me every night. Finally I got a better handle on my emotions and the "demons" just evaporated. So they might be there but I don't see any real evidence for a belief. I'm actually much more afraid of my fellow man.

Spirits are real. There are ghosts, and then there are spirits of demons, angels, and other beings that have never walked the earth. I do have evidence for it but I unfortunately am unable to prove it. I've seen them, and I have felt their presence around me (it's not like a person, you can literally feel if one is in the room with you). Also, ghosts can sometimes cause a sudden drop in temperature, and I have sometimes experienced this in my house. There is a ghost that lives in my house, and I know this for a fact but am unable to prove it. I've seen him with my own eyes, while I was not under the influence of anything. He's the spirit of the guy that owned the farm that my house used to be on. I've encountered the ghosts of people that lived back in the 1600s on a stretch of road with historic houses in the town I used to live in, and many others in the town had seen them as well. Ghosts are real, and I have seen them. Sorry I don't have any harder evidence, but take my word for it, they're real and I've seen them. The ghost in my house is relatively friendly, and I have had conversations with him in my dreams and have been able to pick up on the basic energy of him while awake. We coexist peacefully, and my house is not "haunted", it's simply inhabited by the spirit of a friendly and good man who simply hasn't been able to make it fully across to the other side. To be honest, I've always wanted to be able to have a full conversation with him, as he seems like quite an interesting character. However, I have never been able to, although I'd like to be able to get to know him better to be honest, as he seems like a truly friendly individual. I hate to even use the word "ghost" as he is actually a person, just one that isn't living in this dimension.

I can't take your word for it I'm afraid. If I did, I would have go accept virtually everything as real, even when it contradicts itself.

And I know there's ample evidence for the fallibility of human senses. If you are even remotely like an average person, which with no other evidence I have to assume is more likely than not, then you likely don't have training in proper logical reasoning skills and understanding of the fallibility of human senses even when sober.

You have the right to believe whatever you want. I can't prove that you're wrong, I can only provide evidence for why you are likely to be wrong on the balance of probability. Personally, aside from personally believing you are mistaken, even though I don't blame you and understand how you likely came to be mistaken in this belief. I personally would hate it if you were right. The existents of spirits would certainly be a fascinating field of study were you to be right. But the existence of human ghosts would mean our consciousness continues forever, or at least a very very long time. And I want to be able to rest and sleep forever one day. I would hate to have the ability to die and be at rest for eternity taken from me. I don't wanna die today, but I don't wanna be functionally immortal either.

Edit: Please try not to see this as me calling you dumb, that's not what I mean. What I mean is that thinking with strict rational logic, compartmentalizing emotion, and understanding fallibility of perception. By and large these are things someone must learn. No matter how smart you are, it's something you have to learn and practice how to do. Sure very smart people will find themselves likely having an easier time with it, picking it up quicker, coming to some of it intuitively. But it's still not generally something even fairly smart people will just know how to do from birth. I'm saying I have to assume,since I don't know you very well, that you don't have those skills. Because by far most people don't. And I would still exercise a level of skepticism in the face of no evidence with someone who did have those skills. So with someone I must assume does not, I simply can't base my view of personal experience. Also doesn't mean I think you're lying. I have no doubt many have experience things they are certain proves ghosts exist, and aren't lying. But that doesn't mean their interpretation of their imperfect senses is accurate to reality. That's my whole point here.

Personal accounts can't be relied upon for virtually anything unfortunately.

Last edited:
I have had to reevaluate what spirits mean to me/what they are, but I think there are. I've called it all "spirit", borrowing from a medium I met, but it fits. I think a lot of it is "projection", in some way... Not that these don't exist, but that you don't exist the way you think you do. That you are spirit, too, perhaps, to miss a lot of nuance I had in mind to describing this. Like foreigner said.

I also think it is possible that we do "die", but we don't... I don't know.

Okay my parents bought a Victorian era house when i was 5 years old. They worked on the house for 8 years before we moved in.

Once we moved in i always got this static energy feeling when hanging out in different rooms of the house. I really didn't pay attention to it. About 2 months passed and i started having these dreams of me having communication with these invisible people. Something was there, but i couldn't see them in my dream. I could tell gender and stuff. Just couldn't see them. I was talking with this one that seemed nice. That's when i felt something lift me using the back of my shirt i woke up and sat on the side of the bed. the energy i felt around the house blasted through me. I couldn't move scream or anything.

Now this happened and things slowly started to build up. I'd feel like i was being watched and felt sick for random periods of time for no reason. The first visual thing i seen was when i started using heroin. I seen my two needles get slung onto the ground. I seen shadows, heard conversations in other rooms, getting told to woke up by nobody, people crying and my friends getting picked on.

Most recently the activities are focused on my father and girlfriend. They seem to try and get my dads and girlfriends attention. I talk to them and ask them to do things to scare my family. I lost my fear of them with because I'm used to it. There is still one i believe that doesn't like me and he stays in the main floor. He scares me because it seems he is getting more mean each day.

I have a problem provoking him until it back fires on me and i get spooked. Lol

I've never seen or experienced one. However, that doesn't make they are not real. The universe is an amazingly place, where just about anything is possible to some degree.

Nothing is perfect, not even death. I imagine there are instances where whatever connects you to the universe misses its opportunity to "cross over".

I was always fascinated by stories from the Monroe institute (one of the first institutes where techniques for having out-of-body experiences were taught) about spirits left behind after death. Advanced students can choose to assist souls unable to cross over for whatever reason. One particular story involved a man who died at sea after a shipwreck while holding onto some debris. He was unaware he was dead and wouldn't let go of the log. The guides from out-of-body gently coaxed him by asking him questions and encouraging him to let go of the log and have a little swim, and eventually he let go and crossed over. That would be a wonderful service to provide another.

As for whether I have seen and interacted with spirits, hard to say, not in the conventional way some are describing. Ive been touched by grace if that counts. I've seen alternate realities while out of my mind. the line is never clear cut though. There very well may be a reason my attempts at deliberately inducing out of body experiences have failed. Not sure if I want spirit problems on top of everything else while my awareness is still unstable.

I have no idea if spirits are real or fake.

I'm going to save you guys the stories and unconvincing things that have happened to me, but there are key things that have occurred in my life I have yet to explain (not saying that there isn't an explanation).

As for whether or not I believe? I don't believe per se, but I don't appoint that they do not exist.

I lean heavily toward spirits not existing, but you never do know with these things.

I've had a few strange occurrences, one about 18 months ago that begun with me but ended up also effecting my girlfriend. It lasted for 3 months.

I don't think spirits are a good explanation though given what we know of physics. For me, I think I was experiencing a close parallel dimension encroaching on mine, or I on it.

I am the ghost.

^ Hey Swillow, you realise the experience you describe (both the symptoms and time scale) are entirely consistent with the channelings that claim we jumped onto another timeline (dimension)?! Coincidence? Or perhaps you were more involved than you realise :0

^Maybe. I'm not sure exactly what you mean though... Perhaps I was walking on the leading edge of an experiemetal time-line shift and NONE OF YOU PEOPLE ARE REAL.

Perhaps.

I've shared the details of this experience before (I think) and, as I reflect on it, it seems trivial and I don't want to dilute it further by sharing it. Basically, it consisted of various sensory information when none should have been present, and across 3 senses (sight, hearing, touch). It was a sequence of events that occurred on a moonlit night as I wandered in the hills I call home. The initial experience lasted for about 1 minute but similar, lesser things occurred for the next 3 months or so, mainly electrical phenomena.

I got scared but the experience was very interesting. It did not feel ghostly, or spiritual, but it did feel playful. I felt like I was being teased by children.

Interesting, thanks for sharing.

The basic idea was that the predictions of an 'end of world' scenario by various doomsayers (the bible for example), were actually correct on this timeline, but various factions, across dimensions and galaxies, organised an Event whereby a bridge was created to a nearby timeline/dimension where this didn't happen. How this actually happened or how we actually 'merged' with this other dimension and subsequently our other selves I can only speculate. For some I think it was seamless and unconscious, but for many I think they noticed 'glitches' or processes.
But who knows. I know that I too experienced some incredibly strange things that affected many people around me also during this time, but I have yet to write them down or desribe them properly (I'm still trying to process it to be fair, but want to soon). Long before I had read any of the channelings, beings that claimed to be inter-dimensionals were telling me the Earth had been saved. That was directly after a very dark 2 week episode of what began as psychosis, but the further I went into, or more correctly was dragged into, it was clear it was more. Some of the other experiences during that time were amazing and mind blowing - talking physics with 5 seperate beings in my head at the same time was one of them! So for me also it was both scarey and awesome in equal measure. I'm sure my perspective on this is not complete, but one of the things I found comforting were the channels (very few of them I found were legit), the fact that a source external to myself was confirming my experiences. What I was hearing in my head, and the things I was doing began to make more sense.
Shit I'm just rambling now, sorry for the thread derail OP

Scientifically speaking what you're describing are parallel realities. Not parallel dimensions. Very different.

Alternate realities are what you mean when you speak of other timelines and alternate versions of our reality.
Other dimensions is a much harder thing to comprehend, but is still confined within our singular reality.