• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

Songs that AINT about drugs, that you think secretly ARE about drugs

Err.. you are doing it wrong. I think OP meant for this thread to be about songs that have a personal meaning and evoke some kind of nostalgia relating to drug use. Your example pretty much references a drug by name.

If you read the lyrics, i think it does evoke personal feelings about drug use. It's obviously marketed to be talking about Mary Jane shoes, it's not saying straight up "I smoke Mary Jane". It's written in a way that could either be referencing the feelings she gets about wearing the shoes, or about how she feels when she smokes. They kind of go hand in hand, wearing Mary Janes can bring back carefree, childhood memories which are similar to the peaceful, carefree feelings one can get when they smoke weed. Think about it, getting high makes you worry-free and giddy, similar to how you feel when you're a little kid wearing Mary Janes and you're just happy and everything feels a little brighter. It might not be the deepest song, but it makes sense to me. It has a double meaning.

I always hated how Bob Marleys cause/image got ruined by the pot head bro's. He was way more about god and love, and maybe he smoked a bit from time to time

Bob Marley smoked nearly a pound of herb per week, marijuana was a very big part of his personality. He was about a lot of things, but weed was one of them in a big way. He has multiple cds with weed references as titles (Burnin', Light a Fire, Kaya, African Herbsman) and a lot of his songs are about weed, either in part or in full. He was more about god and love then weed, but weed was a huge part of his image, cause and belief system.

If you read the lyrics, i think it does evoke personal feelings about drug use. It's obviously marketed to be talking about Mary Jane shoes, it's not saying straight up "I smoke Mary Jane". It's written in a way that could either be referencing the feelings she gets about wearing the shoes, or about how she feels when she smokes. They kind of go hand in hand, wearing Mary Janes can bring back carefree, childhood memories which are similar to the peaceful, carefree feelings one can get when they smoke weed. Think about it, getting high makes you worry-free and giddy, similar to how you feel when you're a little kid wearing Mary Janes and you're just happy and everything feels a little brighter. It might not be the deepest song, but it makes sense to me. It has a double meaning.

right, but he was saying the threads about songs that were not intended by the writer to be about drugs. I think you misunderstood the part about "personal meaning". Its suppose to be songs that AINT about drugs, that you personally see a drug reference in.

It seems like you are sayin that the song writer wrote it to have 2 meanings and that the weed one was her "personal meaning" but the threads about songs that YOU personally read a meaning into about drugs, a meaning that aint really there that the song writer didnt intend. not songs with hidden drug meanings, u feel me?

Hope that makes sense:)

And LOL at droppersneck. Maybe he smoked here and there once in a while? :D Nuff said i dont want to be mean and start clownin on dude.

I'm not sure if this really counts but about 10 years ago when I was in college smoking 24/7 I used to change the words to songs to make them all about weed. There were many but the only one I really remember is 'Smooth' by Santana.

It went like this:

And if you said this bag aint big enough, I'd pick more weed to fill it up
I'd change the size to better suit your economic needs, because you love weed
And it's just like the bong that's under my bed if I smoke another bowl I think I'm gonna be dead
You've got the kind of smoking that can be so smooth, give me that shit, I'll blaze a bowl and then forget about it

Kind of funny when you had 20 stoned people in a hotboxed dorm room all singing at the same....

Goldfrapp - Utopia sounds like its about ketamine. It probably isn't, but it sure sounds like it.

Here are some parts of the lyrics:
Its a strange day
no colours or shapes
No sound in my head
I forget who I am
When I'm with you
There's no reason
There's no sense
I'm not supposed to feel
I forget who I am
I foget...

And then later after the chorus it goes like:
I'm wired to the world
That's how I know everything
I'm super brain
That's how they made me

I find that both the lyrics and how the song sounds are just like ketamine, almost as if it was written about it, which, it probably isn't.

i dunno i think some of it is

rockstar by bran van 3 grand

Inappropriate behaviour
Thinking distraction will be your savior
This need seems never-ending
These nights seem all-pretending
The record's spins comfort me
Dreams locked in the record company

And all those things you said you'd never do
Watch them slowly catch up with you
So unrelenting
And you're unrepenting
Go to sleep as the sky turns blue
Simply running out of things to abuse

And I said, mama, gonna buy you out
I'm a rockstar now
I said, mama, gonna buy you out
I'm a rockstar now

You lead me down the road with maybe
Just some ego tripping with a lady
It seems I'm always waiting
Waiting for what?
And the laziness won't disappear
My indifference sets in out of fear
Mean ass spider, called her hairy
And she likes her webs big and scary
She'll never let go
Not as long as she's still spinning
But the irony just gets lost
'Cause no one cares who pays the cost

And I said, mama, gonna buy you out
I'm a rockstar now
I said, mama, gonna buy you out
I'm a rockstar now

Allstar by Smash Mouth

Hey now you're an All Star get your game on, go play
Hey now you're a Rock Star get the show on get paid
And all that glitters is gold
Only shooting stars break the mold

It's a cool place and they say it gets colder
You're bundled up now but wait 'til you get olderBut the meteor men beg to differ
Judging by the hole in the satellite picture

Bundle is a term used in the NE for an amound of dope, usually 10 bags. I think this means if u think you got a bad habbit now, just wait n see how bad it gets if you keep it up.
The ice we skate is getting pretty thin
The waters getting warm so you might as well swim
My world's on fire how about yours
That's the way I like it and I'll never get bored
[Repeat Chorus 2x]
I take this to mean that we may be clean but still fiening, and the minute we hear that "fire" is around, we're back to coppin dope.
Somebody once asked could I spare some change for gas
I need to get myself away from this place
I said yep what a concept
I could use a little fuel myself And we could all use a little change
Well the years start coming and they don't stop coming
Fed to the rules and I hit the ground running
Didn't make sense not to live for fun
Your brain gets smart but your head gets dumb
So much to do so much to see
So what's wrong with taking the back streetsYou'll never know if you don't go
You'll never shine if you don't glow

This last verse just seems like your deciding to go on a dope run. Like you were good for a little bit, but couldn't stand it. Now its time for you to break free and cop that dope.

How about "Stinkfist" by Tool. Title suggests it's about fisting. Some say it's about desensitization. I say it's about heroin...

Something has to change
Undeniable dilemma
Boredom's not a burden
Anyone should bear

Constant over stimulation numbs me
But I would not want you any other way

It's not enough
I need more
Nothing seems to satisfy
I don't want it
I just need it
To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive

I'm pretty surprised nobody has mentioned Hotel California by The Eagles.

On a dark desert highway, cool wind in my hair
Warm smell of colitas, rising up through the air <-(colitas is spanish for little tail says the web, im puerto rican and my grandmother usually tells my cousins to move their colitas, their behinds, could also be read as little buds, could refer to marijuana)

Up ahead in the distance, I saw a shimmering light (when i think of shimmering i think of balance, not dark or light but just nullification of being)
My head grew heavy and my sight grew dim <--onset of high
I had to stop for the night
There she stood in the doorway;
I heard the mission bell
And I was thinking to myself,
’this could be heaven or this could be hell’ ->(drugs feel nice thus heaven, withdrawals, tolerance, overdose, bad trips costrued as hell)
Then she lit up a candle and she showed me the way
There were voices down the corridor, (inhabitants of the drug house)
I thought I heard them say…

Welcome to the hotel california
Such a lovely place
Such a lovely face
Plenty of room at the hotel california
Any time of year, you can find it here ->(you can always find people who are slaves to their vices, especially in a drug den)

Her mind is tiffany-twisted, she got the mercedes bends
She got a lot of pretty, pretty boys, that she calls friends-> (dealers)
How they dance in the courtyard, sweet summer sweat. -> (drug deal going down)
Some dance to remember, some dance to forget -> (some use drugs to reminisce about better times, some to forget harsh ones)

So I called up the captain, ->(so i called up the dealer)
’please bring me my wine’ ->(please bring me my drug of choice)
He said, ’we haven’t had that spirit here since nineteen sixty nine’->(dealer is dry)
And still those voices are calling from far away, -> (the voices of the people you associate with, the people you use with, betrayed, etc.)
Wake you up in the middle of the night (you hear these people's voices when going through withdrawals, with have a tendency of waking you up at night or not letting you get any sleep at all)
Just to hear them say…

Welcome to the hotel california
Such a lovely place
Such a lovely face
They livin’ it up at the hotel california (cops come)
What a nice surprise, bring your alibis (give a name to give to the cops)

Mirrors on the ceiling,
The pink champagne on ice
And she said ’we are all just prisoners here, of our own device’ (We are all slaves to our drug of choice, but on the larger scale, victims of moral frailty)
And in the master’s chambers, (drug room)
They gathered for the feast (drugs)
The stab it with their steely knives, (needle)
But they just can’t kill the beast (addiction)

Last thing I remember, I was
Running for the door
I had to find the passage back
To the place I was before <-(our innate desire as humans to do well, usually we were at a good point one time or another in our lives, and wish to return back to the proper path to happiness)
’relax,’ said the night man,
We are programmed to receive.
You can checkout any time you like,
But you can never leave! ->(check out meaning quit, but you can never stay clean for long)

^
Nice. I love that song but never really thought it meant anything other than the literal. Were The Eagles known druggies?

You've just totally changed that song for me. I've always had an inkling that it was much darker than it seems but you're analysis of each chorus makes sense.

Beatles-Don't let me down

One of my friends use to say it was about weed.
It's worth remarking that he was high at the moment.

Chicago - 25 Or 6 To 4

Waiting for the break of day
Searching for something to say
Flashing lights against the sky
Giving up I close my eyes

Sitting cross-legged on the floor
Twenty-five or six to four

Staring blindly into space
Getting up to splash my face
Wanting just to stay awake
Wond'ring how much I can take
Should I try to do some more

Feeling like I ought to sleep
Spinning room is sinking deep

Searching for something to say
Waiting for the break of day

sounds like most of my psychedelic endeavors...

Good interpretation of Hotel California. I've always thought it was about a literal prison however. As in being in prison. But your angle with the lyrics makes sense.

Maybe I just associate the song with being locked up because in Juvie, one of the nightwatch guys used to play Hotel California all the time on his guitar. He was a sadistic little asshole.

We're In This Together - Nine Inch Nails

I think it really captures the desperation and chaos of a psychological addiction. The point where you have resigned your fate to the whims of drug dealers and cops. The point where you say to yourself, "just keep going and fuck everything."

Some excerpts:

I've become impossible(the impossible lifestyle of an addict)
Holding on to when
When everything seemed to matter more
(memories of when things weren't so fucked up)
The two of us
All used and beaten up
Watching fate as it flow down the path we
Have chose
(again, resigning yourself to a full time heroin addiction)

You and me
We're in this together now
None of them can stop us now
We will make it through somehow
You and me
If the world should break in two
Until the very end of me
Until the very end of you
(etc.)

The farther I fall I'm beside you
As lost as I get I will find you
The deeper the wound I'm inside you
For ever and ever I'm a part of
(it's sad, eventually most people lose their own personality and the drug defines you almost completely)

Maybe a little far fetched but I use to listen to this song and liken it to my situation so much. It personifies heroin to me.

Also, Hurt by Nine Inch Nails may or may not be about drugs. There has been speculation, but Trent hasn't confirmed or denied as far as I know.

The line, "The needle tears a hole..." sometimes gives me chills.

A good portion of NIN's albums Pre-with teeth were about drugs, indirectly (talking about the struggles), or directly. I mean, he was for years and years dealing with drug addictions.

Love the way you lie is totally about drugs and gettin high n tryna get off them

Just gonna stand there
And watch me burn
But that's alright
Because I like
The way it hurts
Just gonna stand there
And hear me cry
But that's alright
Because I love
The way you lie

&

You ever love somebody so much (somebody aka ur drugs)
You can barely breathe
When you're with them
You meet
And neither one of you
Even know what hit 'em
Got that warm fuzzy feeling (so obvious)
Yeah them chills
Used to get 'em
Now you're getting fucking sick
Of looking at 'em

&

I love it the more that I suffer
I sufficate
And right before im about to drown
She resuscitates me
She fucking hates me
And I love it

i'm sure every fuckin junkie can relate to that, so fuckin in love with their DOC and at the same time want to fuckin die because of it. i think this song completely covers all the emotions within drug addiction. i mean i guess the point of the song is relating love to drugs, but most people i say this shit to are like, dude ur crazy this shits about being in love. i guess you have to actually feel the pain and love of drug addiction to feel the drug aspect of this song, not the relationship aspect.

in poolshark by sublime

But now i've got the needle
and i can shake but i can't breathe
i take it away

was thinking wouldnt it make a bit more sense if instead of breathe
change it to bleed
like he cant find a vein ?

i dont know half asleep ramblings