Site Feedback sometimes i get sick

Call Me"PRIEST"

Bluelighter
i've only been on the forums for a little bit an already i get sick at some of the replies like:

if your dope sick, just get more dope.

if you don't want to be an addict just stop doing heroin

that question has already been asked use the search

i cant read your post, break up the text

is this thread about bragging how much dope you do

if your needle is old just get a new one

if you dont want to miss a shot dont inject

that topic has already been discussed

i've never done it before and i have no idea how to do it but you should do it like this

i've never been dope sick before, but i know it's all in your head

i don't understand your question, but here is what i want to know

i have no prior experience with drugs from that time period but i know the drugs are the same today

i'm not an expert or a doctor but this is how you should use this medication

i can't comprehend the original posters question but here is what i think

sorry if i'm going off but i don't know why some ppl feel the need to respond with posts like these. there are a lot of ppl on here with excellent advice and are very helpful but sometimes i wonder why ppl respond without something useful to add to the topic.

Honestly, I think those replies just come with the nature of internet forums. Sometimes, people have a thought and want to post, and that's more or less how it goes. A lot of the things you list are reasonable, for example breaking up text: its a bitch to read a long post that is all one paragraph with no punctuation. Less people will read it, you will receive less advice.

I don't really see things like "being dopesick is in your head" on here...unless you mean some of the stuff in TDS in that case its more of supporting someone through the post-withdrawal part of it. Plus, a lot of questions do get asked over and over again, the search function is a bit annoying when people don't name their threads properly but people still answer them.

People are coming here for harm reduction. Sometimes GLers just want their post count up. And, a lot of us sit on BL while high in some way at least. Sorry you're unhappy with it, but I think its expected and us mods do a good job of filtering out anything unnecessary/rude/etc. for the most part.

sorry if i'm going off but i don't know why some ppl feel the need to respond with posts like these. there are a lot of ppl on here with excellent advice and are very helpful but sometimes i wonder why ppl respond without something useful to add to the topic.

A lot of people get off by putting others down and making themselves feel bigger and better. With the anonymity of the internet this is especially easy to do. I personally usually find helping others makes me feel better than putting them down, however if I am high then I sometimes get a little more snide. As this is a board on drugs people posting on drugs is also often a problem.

In addition people like feeling important and knowledgeable so they will invariable push topics towards the areas that they have more experience in whether relevant or not (sometimes unconsciously and sometimes purposefully).

edit:
After reading purple_cloud's post I'd like to add that the mod's do do a wonderful job and that no matter how many sarcastic and flaming posts the general populace makes it would be next to impossible to find a thread where a mod hasn't given the user the helpful and informative answer they are looking for or pointed them to it.

that question has already been asked use the search
i'd not lump this statement in with the others you wrote.

as you observed, there are a lot of people on here with excellent advice and, over time, bluelight has become a repository of a huge amount of useful information. new users should be encouraged to help themselves by searching for information themselves first before posting a question which has likely been asked many times before.

teaching people to fish rather than giving them a fish, if you will.

alasdair

The reason people say use the search engine, is because there is either a thread that already covers the topic very well.
Also because it gets super irritating answering the same questions over and over again.
You'll realize that once youre on here for a little while..

Regarding UTFSE.

I'm sure even the most experienced users will agree that the search engine is very hard to use and ridiculously slow (I mean 15 sec in-between searches!). Never mind having to load the page each time to view the threads. Thread titles are also impossible to comprehend with even seasoned veterans with thousands of posts making "My thoughts on a touchy subject" or "Is this normal on ops?" type headings. Throw in finally finding the thread you want and it having been derailed, or the annoying habit of the first 10 results on google being the thread asking the question you just made 2min ago, and it can just be a helluva lot easier to ask.

If Bluelight had a little chatroom or something 9/10ths of the threads wouldn't be created and the OPs would have their simple question answered in and out like that.

The reason people say use the search engine, is because there is either a thread that already covers the topic very well.
Also because it gets super irritating answering the same questions over and over again.
You'll realize that once youre on here for a little while..

^^^

Really common topics frequently get very few replies if there's been a recent thread on them too - so a new thread might only attract half a dozen responses where older threads on the same topic may have run several pages and therefore be more informative overall.

i cant read your post, break up the text
Said nicely this makes perfect sense to me. "I'm finding your posts hard to read. If you broke long posts like this into paragraphs they'd be easier to read"
that topic has already been discussed
I often give people links to similar threads or mega-threads. It is not a put down. Its being helpful. If I've read a similar thread with a good treatment of the topic would you have me ignore it or have me paste that other thread into a post?
i'm not an expert or a doctor but this is how you should use this medication
Qualifications of why our posts might not be useful or authoritive aren't inherently rude or unhelpful and giving an answer or a guess is what people do on discussion boards
i can't comprehend the original posters question but here is what i think
feedback to the OP that you might not be understanding his question or idea again seems legitimate to me.

If a member were to get seriously irritated by answers that are different than her preferred style it would make the whole board not very much fun after a while. Can you put out what principles you think posters ought to exercise more in posting instead of objectionable one liners? Is it that you don't want qualifications made in answering? Is it that you would rather that people never give feedback to OPs or posters about their posts or topics and only give direct answers? I suppose if everybody else agrees we could just implement rules like those that govern testimony in court. We could have the moderators insert things like "all but direct answers have been deleted" and "commentary within a thread that does not explicitly answer the question is not permitted. you are instructed to answer the question."or "alluding to other threads is not permitted. I'm sending you a warning"

Editoadd: It occured to me I might totally be missing your point. Do you mostly hate one liners or were your examples about certain posters dispositions to topics, questions, and thread starters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding UTFSE.

I'm sure even the most experienced users will agree that the search engine is very hard to use and ridiculously slow (I mean 15 sec in-between searches!). Never mind having to load the page each time to view the threads. Thread titles are also impossible to comprehend with even seasoned veterans with thousands of posts making "My thoughts on a touchy subject" or "Is this normal on ops?" type headings. Throw in finally finding the thread you want and it having been derailed, or the annoying habit of the first 10 results on google being the thread asking the question you just made 2min ago, and it can just be a helluva lot easier to ask.

If Bluelight had a little chatroom or something 9/10ths of the threads wouldn't be created and the OPs would have their simple question answered in and out like that.

There is a chat room available that is run by some of the Ecstasy Discussion staff and posters.

Not sure about other forums but telling people to UTFSE or any derivative is banned in ED. We atke the attitude that if you dont want to help someone properly then dont even waste your time posting at all.

We do try to educate people how to find our Directory which generally holds most answers via FAQs or prepaid searches.

Our posters are 90% new members so its an ongoing and never ending job helping to educate them. Answering the same question sometimes even 3-4 times a week is not uncommon..........its the nature of the beast and one that our posters and staff accept as a hazard of the forum.

Generally you shouldnt really be seeing "UTFSE" anywhere on the site (except maybe the lounge) because we've asked our mods to try and prevent those kinds of comments. Obviously we cant control everything every user says, and some mods just prefer to not have to edit everything, and thats one of the less offensive things one can say on here, so it may just be left sometimes, but it really shouldnt be a common occurrence.

those are all valid points ppl make. just sometimes i see ppl answering posts but not really adding anything to it. i'd say most of the topics have been discussed in some way or another so just saying use the search engine without maybe pointing the poster to a thread isn't helpful.

i agree that the mods do a great job of keeping some assemblance or order here. without them i could only imagine what these forums would degrade into. i've seen some forums that go unchecked and it's a nightmare.

i guess i just have to get used to the way things are done around here. for the most part i'm satisfied but there are always those few posts that don't really add anything and can sometimes be rude.

Thanks everyone

i guess i just have to get used to the way things are done around here. for the most part i'm satisfied but there are always those few posts that don't really add anything and can sometimes be rude.

Sounds like a lot of the meetings and general discussions I find myself in for real life :\

i think i'm gettin the hang of it......there is always that first person to say, it's been talked about use search, then there is the person that doesn't comprehend what the meaning of the thread is and screams to close it.
then there is the person who derails the conversation.
then there is the person who has no ida what they are talking about but will quote something they heard on here just to make a post,

then there are cool mods that help you out

cool people that don't mind answering your question =eventhough it has been spoken about before but it really pertains to a specific mater.

this place is like a party where you come across poeple that are really stoned that have nothing to add, then you have the Mr hands then you have the ppl that just spoke for an hour on a topic but don't mind answering yur question again because they are so fuckin knowledgable they realize it'll take half a day to weed through all the other discussions.

then there ae the out-nout stoners eho don't really know what time it is.

lol Thats a great analogy. Yes, thats correct, great way of looking at it. In this large of a message board, you are going to have a broad range of people with lots of different experiences and answers.