• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Something to take away the empty feeling inside?

I just feel so depressed sometimes, I think the perfect word to describe how I feel Is empty. Just empty and lifeless, it gets so bad sometimes I just can't take it.
Thanks for any advice

also- the problem may not be the absence of feeling, but rather that the feelings you're having are of sadness and frustration. if you were actually devoid of feeling, you wouldn't be putting forth the effort of trying to change things. it's encouraging that you are, though, and it shows that at the very least you still care, which is more than i could've said about myself at times.

Hey Lightblue, I'm 23 right now, but I've felt the same way since age 15. It started the summer before my freshman year, I sort of just withdrew into myself and detatched from my emotions. No one could get a rise out of me; no laughter, no crying, no emotion, nothing.

Okay, so my Dad has always told me that with time this will all change for the better. He says that as I get older I will come out of my shell and to not worry about what life is like in high school. And he was totally right.

Once I got out of high school, I came into my own—and then I served a term in the Air Force, which was probably the best time in my life looking back. It was really fun—not saying that you should join the military, but it's definitely an option; all that life experience really helps to bring you out of your shell, and you meet lots of cool people (but of course, it is really stressful and tough at times.)

Okay but now that I am out of the military I am stuck in a rut, but I won't really go into that.

Questions for ya:
Are you into drugs a lot? What have you done besides meth? Drugs could really help your situation if you use them responsibly, but could really harm you if you use them in a stupid manner (i.e., if you use them every day, if you get addicted, if you overdose.)

Drugs that could help but aren't as harmful as meth: marijuana makes some people real giddy and happy (others it causes anxiety/depression,) benzodiazepines can help you to break out of that detatchment that you described. Cocaine used in moderation is a social drug that can help ya stomp out that detatchment. Mushrooms are a light psychedelic that I found will help ya connect to your emotions and to people, and only a small risk of sending ya over the deep edge.

That's really all I could recommend to ya. Opiates will make you out-going at first, but quickly turns to an anti-social drug that you take only to sooth yourself. Toying with psychedelics in your state of mind COULD help, but just as easily could make everything WORSE! You are only 16, so I would say wait a bit to try out drugs, but I started before age 16 so I will just say use responsibly.

How in the name of holy fuck can you even suggest to someone they take cocaine? Really how the fuck is that going to help them in any way that is at all positive? If they think they have a empty feeling now wait until they come down from the coke and realize damn that cash i spent on that 10 minute high could have gone towards something that is much better like a new ipod or some shit or maybe i could have bought something for my significant other or friend or have given it away to charity. I can tell you that any of those things will make you feel much better then coke! Also cocaine comedowns make you feel not only empty but totally numb and fucking dead inside.

Wow, I'm surprised I got so many responses. It's nice to see I'm not the only one whos felt this way and people can relate to the way I feel. I appreciate all the advice too, all what you guys said is true. I'm gonna try and focus on schooling more then anything and just try and look at all the positive in my life and if that doesn't work I've always got drugs waiting for me :)
I don't know why I feel the way I do, but I know I can either choose to make it better or worse.

Oh and what one question would I like to be asked more then anything? Hmmmm that's a tough one, I can't really think of anything that I would really want someone to ask me. I'm kind of a private person and I don't really like sharing that much about myself. So sorry I guess I didn't really answer your question :)

I know for me MDMA was quite an eye opener the first time. I cried for hours once I realized I had been playing along the whole time never realizing how much LOVE made me happy, and that I was free to give it and receive it. Other than that, the anti-depressant Wellbutrin can be pretty "life stimulating" in my opinion. keeps your brain loaded with dopamine.

hey man, definitely don't go too hard on yourself and life. don't be overly critical. relax a bit. you're only 16, and if you're not having a good time go out and find one. life gets better as u get older also college is mad chill.

as for meth stay the fuck away from that shit man just get some quality bud, some beers and some bitches man u don't need hard drugs at all esp at your age

Of course you are private, you have to learn to want to be social. You probably think that people don't care about what you wanna talk about, or just don't understand social situations. I was the same way. That has to change, you want to get yourself out there, make people want to talk to you, wonder, care etc about you.

My mistake? It was thinking that everyone thought like me, so I didn't care for others and of course they didn't care about me since I didn't put myself out there.

Hmmmm not for sure why everyone thinks I'm a dude on this thread :) but just to set the record straight I'm a girl :)

You must be 17, everyone thought I was a girl because my name looks like Jessica and on the internet everyone assumes you're a boy unless you say otherwise.

94 kinda made me think 17 but I meant 16 haha. Sorry this is unrelated but at least you get a neat little bump from yours truly.

If you're feeling empty my advice to you is to steer clear of drugs. I used to be quite emotional, most times feeling vibrant and happy. However, I'm definitely a thrill seeker as well, and many times it is only at the extremes of experience, whether using drugs or adrenaline sports, that I truly "feel alive". I spent the last several years smoking weed daily, drinking (at times heavily, blackout 2-3x/wk), and experimenting with any drug I could get my hands on. It got to the point that I felt empty and numb, even when pumped full of MDMA. I've taken a break from drugs, and the feelings of emptiness continue. Long story short, drugs are a quick fix, can be a lot of fun, but they tend to make sober life even more boring and imo will ultimately exasperate your feelings of emptiness. Personally, I find the feelings of emptiness to be more a result of conflicting or binding emotions than a lack of emotions. As this is a longstanding issue, could you have any deep seated childhood shame? Were you ever abused in any way? Shame and abuse, which go hand in hand, can have the effect of locking you up, and are something to take up with a professional.
You experiences emotions in your body, so anything that puts you more in touch with your body should help. Consider meditation, and do a google search for a chakra (the seven energy centers located on the spinal axis) openness test, or something along those lines, and exercises to help open any chakras that are closed. Imo emotion is a flow of energy, and working to restore proper energy flow improves emotional well being. Also, explore your spirituality. We are physical, spiritual, and social beings. All these aspects of our selves must be cared for in order to be truly well. Ultimately, if you look inside first and take care of yourself you will probably be happier than if you turn to drugs. Looking to drugs to induce emotion is dangerous, and can readily lead to abuse and addiction issues. However, if you are well, centered, and grounded, drugs can be a lot of fun and serve as "enhancement". Psychedelics especially will open you to a whole new way of experiencing the world. My first few experiences with LSD were amazing, the spirituality and flood of emotion overwhelming in their beauty. Last time I tripped, though, was miserable. I went on emotional lockdown, felling emptier than I ever thought possible, truly a terrifying experience, and the result of my own issues I wasn't dealing with. That in mind, if you're feeling empty psychedelics could go one of two ways for you: awesome, helping you to emote like you never thought possible, or terrible, turning your emptiness into a consuming hell. I'd stay away until you establish proper energy flow.
Consider seeing a holistic, aryuvedic, or natural medicines healer/doctor. They're great for helping to restore balance and flow.

this thread just emmulates why i love BL so much.

as for the OP: my only advice is get in touch with your spiritual side. this does not mean god or religion (although those can be spiritual) spirituality (for me) is helping ppl with out expecting anything in return, being honest, trying new and positive things. i dont know how but for me this has helped to fill that "void" . it gives me a sense of purpose and direction and i was never ever able to truly find that in drugs ( even though i searched for years to find it).

good luck and i hope you are able to find what you're looking for!!